What do you think about ham radios?

What do you think about ham radios?

Attached: 7CF42958-B258-4E1C-BBA1-65BC251660CA.jpg (1862x1048, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vkradioamateurs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't have a ham license but I'll be getting my gmrs license pretty soon which I'm excited for! Plenty of active channels in my area from what I've been told.

Not actually made of ham 2/10

Kek

I’m way in to it. I have spent a lot of time and money on my station

check these doubles then get back to me

Nice try, lid. Do you even rtty?

pork radio is better

I've always been really interested but I've never had the time, money, or motivation to get into it. I made an fm transmitter to fuck with my dad though.

It is great that Jews and filthy vile scum Moslems cannot use them.

I work on cell towers, we call you guys hammy hambones. I was doing mm wave links in Jersey for those high frequency trading firms and our lead was a hambones. He let us use his bowfang radios, was aligning dishes with my partner 6 miles away. Those bitches were sweet.

Attached: 20180807_135114.jpg (2560x1440, 1012K)

being a ham was a lot cooler before anyone with an smart phone could chat with someone on the other side of the world but there are still several benefits:
1. It shows employers that your a technical person at heart and willing to train/seek training on your own.
2. If you're into weather there are 'weather nets' where people do things like spot certain types of cloud formations that are likely to turn into funnel clouds.
3. Hams are often used to provide communications at things like marathon and walk-for-cause-du-jour which if you're prone to sitting at home is better than sitting at home.
4 Hams are generally a more technical class of people so if your tired of redit level conversations it's like heaven.

Please explain, what's the point? What are you going to do with it?

It's a hobby, a way to socialize and a neat way to lean practical radio theory, or put your EE degree to the test.

Also if you're a survivalist you might want to have it in a SHTF scenario or if you live somewhere like I do where it's not a question of if a blizzard will take out all the power and communications, but when the next time will be.

Download Zello. They have ham stations and CB stations and you can talk all around the world just like a ham radio without the expense

Attached: 3C1B8AFE-C3B0-46C4-B2D3-A24F986A0470.jpg (1125x973, 491K)

Build shit, restore old shit, contests, experiments, collect certificates

It's neato. I got my Tech when I was 22 for the hell of it because I understood the electronics stuff and I was bored (a local club was doing free testing).
I joined a ham club, helped members put up towers and antennas, asked questions, volunteered for bike/marathon events, learned from the Generals/Extras, and got free food. It sure as hell beats sitting at home losing IQ points. It's good wholesome fun with people who don't have their faces buried in a smartphone 24/7.

Attached: IMG_20190228_125752.jpg (1711x1183, 1.19M)

I love you.

This is definitely a topic I never would have expected to find on Yea Forums... And I love it. I got my tech when I was 8, general at 17. Love the hobby, wish I could spend more time on the air. I should just get my extra finally...

Same. I started studying for Extra. It’s hard.

Tbh I like both ham and radios. One is delicious and the other is entertaining and informative.

im interested, where do i start in aus?

That's fucking gay.

vkradioamateurs.org/

Also talk to Onno VK6FLAB.

I have pic related and need to fix it, but I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to radios

Attached: angrr503.jpg (633x651, 109K)

Kinda weird.

We have webcams now user. That shit is really esoteric.

Fucking no code tech. You're ruining Chan Radio.

check me out on 80m callsign N0FUCK

bump for dallas

I used to have a ham radio and it sucked. Now I upgraded it to a Jon Hamm radio and it totally kicks ass.

>spend a lot of money to talk to random people on the other side of the world
>don't realize you can do that on the internet for free
>don't realize people on the other side of the world have nothing informative to say
>waste shitloads of money

Sounds fun. Sign me up.

The idea of building one sounds cool because I’m sure you learn a lot from it. I can’t imagine actually using it after I built it

My father in law is big into ham radio. I should get my license cuz he's a decent guy and he wants to spend time with me

I eat ham while one nets

Do it. It's a really fun hobby.

Hahaha. Nice call.

I have the book and need to read it and take the first level test. He's hinted he has a handheld for me when I pass it.

What is your call sign?

fuck ya it is I tune into the local repeater every night and listen to all the retirees talk about their medical conditions and which of their friends died this week

I think they're baloney.

Having a 65 watt Kenwood VHF in the car is definitely great fun to have.

>What do you think about ham radios?
The signal keeps bacon up

Attached: hC5FA8200.jpg (500x791, 61K)

why not

Absolutely haram

thanks man

Having gone through college and gotten an engineering degree, I'm hoping I can leverage some of my coursework to make remembering all of it easier lol.

how didnt I think of this

Attached: kek18.jpg (217x265, 21K)