What makes us human?

what makes us human?

if your mom died, and her consciousness was uploaded to some usb drive, with all of her picture perfect as her before she died, would it still be her? would you love her the same if her consciousness lumbered around in some chappie-like robot body? is our humanity more of a spiritual thing that a physical one?

Attached: D8842153-9D9D-4C9D-B7A8-1919EBAC7D54.png (960x960, 1.21M)

Attached: what.jpg (323x396, 66K)

Nigger, you make yourself human.
You can also make yourself animalistic.
Robots can be as human as anyone else. Robots will be, more so, eventually.
Just quit being a faggot and thinking this shits deep. And lay off the Black Mirror.

It's hard to say. In that scenario it is easier to accept, but the real question is what if she didn't die? Data is generally not moved, it's copied. So if your mom had her consciousness uploaded to some machine but still was alive, would you then think of that copy of your mother as your mother? Somethign like her, sure. The truth is i dont think we will ever have to answer that question. I don't think we will be able to copy the data in peoples brains, let alone create a way for them to function as if they were still in that human brain. a lot of our thoughts are influenced by body chemistry.

Take your pseudo deep thoughts and shove them up your dickhole faggot. I bet you even got a neckbeard and collect trashy knifes.

Attached: 1551167878482.gif (1100x600, 465K)

what would happen if the robot got cleansed from human needs and emotions and was just pure consciousness? would there be any drive at all?

Then its drive would be to exist, and merely that. Its programmed to do whatever its programmed. I swear to god, this is the beginning of faggotry like "Machine Life Matters"
I guarantee one day, this will be a thing.
Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, or watch Bladerunner. You'll get a kick out of your stupid questions.

Humans cant even get past the uncanny valley of Dolls and CGI, it'd be the same if a persons memories were uploaded into a lifelike android, most people woukd just be creeped out. And i' sure theres people out there for whom they could get past a chappie like robot body, but the majority would probably like that even less than the life-like ones, and many would call the entire concept an abomination against nature. Personally, i think it would be kinda creepy, and even though its the same "consciousness" that being would cease to become human. Not to say it would lose its emotions or ideals or "humanity" but that you just wouldnt be able to classify such a being as human anymore. And its quite possible it WOULD change their humanity, as they would no longer experience life or the world as humans do. What we are has very much to do with who we are, why do you think in fiction those that go beyond the boundaries of humanity are considered Others, because they've done away with a huge aspect of what it means to be human.

Attached: Screenshot_2017-06-22-14-29-39-1-1.png (671x897, 722K)

if you can perfectly duplicate every cell in your brain and construct a new brain, which brain is really you? both?

But Machine Lives Matter

>what makes us human?
a question as ancient as humanity itself

>would it still be her?
No.

is humanity more of a soul then?

Bladerunner isnt the best example, as those arent robots really. They basically just stronger, better humans, and have the ability to grow and learn and develop theur own humanity, as opposed to a machine that has someone elses humanity artificially downloaded into it.

They're androids, its the same shit. If anything, just a step further than uploading your consciousness to a machine.

well, if you ask me, humanity is more of a concept that encompasses several things; it can't be boiled down to a single, individual, isolated variable. Just like it takes several features to separate a taxonomic rank from another, and then from another species, so it takes a group of characteristics for a human to be such a thing.
To this we must add the fact that, even tho we currently know a good deal about neurophysiology, the human brain is still vastly uncharted, and a lot remains to be understood about the human mind.
At this point it's way easier to say what a human is not than what a human IS; by sheer comparison to other beings that share features we can just contrast the differences to say "this definitely DOESN'T constitutes a human".

At the end of the day for every person in the world there is at least one different definition of humanity.

Attached: 1496998249758.jpg (500x351, 59K)

They're not androids; they're bio-engineered life forms aka GMO people.

If you look human, you are human- its as simple as that.
Anything else is mental or psychological, and thats another thing completely- determining whether someone or something ACTS human.

>what makes us human?
Our energy.

What said. The whole piint of the movie is that they are their own beings, manufactured beings to be surw, but their own creatures with their own consciousness', thoughts, and experiences nonetheless. This thread is about a consciousness being uploaded into a mechanical receptacle, one that is decidedly inhuman, and whether or not just the consciousness alone makes up something's humanity.

So you're saying that someone's consciousness uploaded into a computer is less human than a preprogrammed robot that can merely mimic human behavior, simply because it physically looks human, despite not actually functioning as a biological human does?

Neither is human, but one APPEARS more human.
Again, when you get into the psychology of it, it becomes a different question.

>If you look human, you are human- its as simple as that.
So by that standard an inanimate doll is a human? resemblance is no factor.
And what degree of likeness is acceptable? Would a person who suffered an accident and is disfigured be less human?
Don't think with your eyes.

Maybe I should've been clearer. If you physically ARE a human, you're human. You could be disfigured, retarded- I don't give a shit. You're human. We all bleed the same.
The way you think could be less humanlike, but you're still human. You could be raised by wolves and act like an animal, barely able to speak or walking on all fours- but you're still human.
Somebody's consciousness uploaded into a machine is human- but the vessel they're out into isn't. Mentally there human, but physically they're not.
Look with your eyes and think with your mind.

But appearance wasnt the main subject of the original question. By your logic, id say that though the android appears more human, the computer with an uploaded consciousness would be closer to actual humanity, as it retains the memories and experiences that are a large make-up of the human psyche, instead of just being a programmed system with an outer shell that merely resembles a human.

First you claim that a homo sapiens, feral and with complete animal behavior would be human... but then that a replicated consciousness in a machine would be human.

So for you the mind is and -at the same time - is not the source of humanity. I find your statements contradicting.

>is our humanity more of a spiritual than physical one

That was the entire question.

And we agree then. Just because something looks human, doesn't make it human. We all know what constitutes a human, physically (and mentally for the most part).
A robot that appears to be human, and is programmed to act like so isn't as human as a machine with an actual persons consciousness. But in the end, the latter is not truly human (only its mind would be).

The great Greek philosopher Plato once said Man, or humans if you will, are featherless bipeds.

But the great Cynic philosopher Diogenes went out while holding a lamp while the sun is still out, telling people he's looking for a man, a "honest man".

One day Diogenes plucked a chicken's feathers, and brought the featherless chicken into Plato's academy and said
"Behold! I've brought you a man!"

Attached: 3538468.jpg (1280x720, 264K)

Its really not that complicated :p
Physically, we know what a human is.
Mentally it doesn't matter, if they physically are a human: they are a human.
Somebody's consciousness put into a machine is not entirely human- only their mind is.
This is why it gets confusing. At first glance, we know what a human is. But if we're taking the mind of one, and putting it into some other entity, the only remaining humanistic thing is just that- its mind.
If OP asked what a human is mentally, I would've responded differently. But all that matters is a humans physicality, until their mind is the only human thing left, being put into some nonhuman thing.

Perhaps. They had an episode with this theme in mind in one of the Black Mirror episodes. A woman's husband died, and he was uploaded to a cloud and eventually a new body just like his. Spoilers...
In the end she couldn't accept it, and almost made him kill himself before sequestering him in the attic. Personally, I think I would think of my new mom as my mom. Assuming she still felt emotional and whatnot. Tough to think about but I'd give anything to see my mom again.

So to get to the meat of the question, would you consider a robotic apparatus with your mother's consciousness uploaded into it to still be your mother, and would you love her just the same?