Anyone have experience buying refurbished CPUs...

Anyone have experience buying refurbished CPUs? I want to upgrade to an i7 960 and refurbished ones are going for around $60 while new ones are ~$450. Are they a joke? Could I at least get a year or two out of a refurbished CPU?

Attached: 78FC4D5D-519D-4F0F-90B5-B17FB1CC518B.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

bump

690 is old as shit, do not buy a "new" 690.

Never bought a new CPU in my life, they last a very looooong time. Unless they've been ran at stupid voltages, but If ur buying from a retailer (i.e. not some old cunt on ebay) they'll be fine.

Also "refurbished" just means b-stock or 2nd hand. You can't really refurbish a CPU, it's a closed system.

960 not 690. Which is still old. I have a solid mobo and don’t really want to upgrade it but upgrading to a 960 from a 920 would make a solid difference. So you saying if I buy “refurbished” from a retailer I should be good?

You’re right that they can’t be “refurbished” except for maybe new or repaired pins.

>You can't really refurbish a CPU, it's a closed system.

Fucking this.

Refurb CPU's have at some point been broken, then fixed. More than likely someone bent some pins when removing it from a socket, someone straightened them out and is now selling it on, because you can't really fix anything else. Maybe a loose heat spreader.

OP if you do buy one, make sure you ask the buyer what was wrong with it before and how it was fixed

Sounds good. Bent pins are minor right? If that was all that was wrong with it I should be good?

I was a poor fag for a very long time, and I ran old as fuck computers as a result, like second hand old office computers from my dad's work.
I have NEVER had a cpu fail on me in 15 years and like 7 rigs. OF course I wasn't over clocking except maybe two of them, and only slightly.

I used to lift people's old gaming rigs out of the local dump, in the electronics recycling sea crates, and I have yet to have one of THOSE fail, both intel and amd examples.

Anyone know of a trustworthy site where I can find “refurbished”/used CPUs? Of course there’s Newegg. Anything else?

depends on how they were bent and how they were put back, either way, they've been forced out/back into shape so i'd just extra careful when installing it. If the guy says they've been soldered back in place, just avoid it

Good to know.

Follow up for someone who has upgraded CPUs before. Will there be a noticeable difference in performance between a quad core i7 2.67ghz (my current 920) and a quad i7 at 3.2ghz (the 960)? Using it for gaming

Oh yas my bad, 960.

Depends on what you're doing with it. Playing games? Workstation? Lots of spreadsheets? I think you'll notice a difference, but intel processors have come a long way since 1st gen i-series. We're on like ~9th gen now. This is about as good as a modern quad core i3 (but ofc, cheaper).

What are you planning on using it for?

also One or two bent pins might be ok, but imo I wouldn't risk it just to save a couple $'s

Oh ignore question.
What your GPU? Usually the GPU is the bigest bottleneck for gaming. What resolution do you plat at (720, 1080, etc) and what kind of games?

Yeah the only processor intensive thing I’m doing on that pc is gaming.

As I said, i like my mobo (6 slots for ram and up to 24gb) and I’d rather not have to upgrade that AND my power supply since 24gb of DDR3 will last me a long time still and I haven’t run into issues with upgrading graphics cards yet.

Pic Sauce?

I’m using a 6gb 1060. As far as I can tell this isn’t really bottlenecking me yet. I only have 8gb of DDR3 so I figure I could upgrade my CPU with a used 960 and install 6 4gb sticks of DDR 3 for about half of what a GPU upgrade would cost. I’m no expert but I think my ram and CPU are going to bottleneck me way too much to make a further GPU upgrade worthwhile.

No sauce. Found it on here and thought it was interesting. The chick on the left has absolutely fantastic tits too

Also I play at 1080.

Oh fuck yeah GTX 1060 is fine for 1080p no issues there mate. 8gb is also fine for 1080p don't be fooled by Samsungs marketing.

The rest of your rig is decent. I think you'll notice a difference, but I rekcon it still might be bottlenecking since a modern i5 is usually the 1080p minimum.

Thanks for the advice m80.

Good place to buy a solid cheap used rig?

Every now and then you can find underpriced rigs on Craigslist. I

thought exactly the same thing

why not buy a whole used system from a thrift shop? our thrift shop has tons of used PCs. some have good specs selling for $10 or less. the advantage of living near our nations capital. the govt dumps tons of used PCs to the bulk buyers who sometimes unloads them to thrift shops.

Because I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I have no such luck with used PC stores

why not just get a prebuiilt optiplex with an 17 off of ebay?
hell if your old mobo still works you can sell it for enough to buy the pc.
old gaming boards are worth money for some reason

I have a 4th gen mobo, wondering what I could upgrade my shit to

Does anyone know if this was just a photoshoot or is there an actual nudist logging company? Because it looks like they are actually doing work

Look up the part number and get the specs. Most Mobos can only take processor upgrades that are in the same gen hence why I’m trying upgrading an old i7 920 to a 960.

Have fun paying for the extremely high premium insurance of a nude tree lopping company. You would be broke before you start up.
I don't think it's shopped, just staged.

I’ll keep this in mind while I strive towards my dream of a nudist lumber colony.

Never bought a new CPU. I always had mainly 2nd hand componenets. With CPUs and RAMs had never any problem. Also had some MOBOs but those are better new ones. GPUs can be a risk but never got a faulty one. PSUs are always better new ones.