Book thread

Book thread

Show me your shelves faggots

What are some god tier series for someone who has read nearly 100 fantasy books?

Attached: 5A7AE595-93A6-447E-A60D-72F275E8D073.jpg (1774x2048, 755K)

>Terry Goodkind
>not a single Malazan book

Attached: 1490229605044.jpg (615x477, 100K)

Read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie and its spinoffs. You'll fucking love them.

I have read every book in that universe

Monzcarro Murcatto can be my dominatrix

I tried Malazan once but couldn’t get into it. Everything I’ve ever read on it has raving reviews, maybe I should give the series another chance...

T-t-th-the P-Per-Percy J-J-J-Jackson b-b-book-s are p-p-pre-pretty g-g-good.

hey OP, read Hyperion

I have heard mixed things about em but might check em out

What is Hyperion user?

Book of the fallen is phenomenal, and got me back into epic fantasy. The first third of the first novel is a little rough, but rest assured it only gets better. I would highly recommend it.

Wheel of Time is pretty good and served as an inspiration for a lot of current fantasy authors. It was finished by Brandon Sanderson (who you apparently liked) after the original author (Robert Jordan) died. Be prepared though as its a very long series and can suffer from rather large amounts of nonessential context and information, though not nearly as bad as LotR was.

I really enjoyed the thomas covenant series

I've sold it all off. My local library is my bookshelf.

Attached: Library.png (439x407, 355K)

Alright I’m sold I’ll give it another shot

I read the first four books of WoT by the fifth I was so confused I had to put the series down. I heard it ties up nicely at the end. You’re right about Sanderson though, I loved Mistborn and his works so far in The Way of Kings.

Read Gene Wolf's "The Shadow of the Torturer," (Shadow and Claw) part of "The Book of the New Sun."
Continue with "Sword and Citadel." Some of the Best Stuff I've Ever Read.

Hyperion is an epic sci fi told in the style of the canterbury tales. You follow the journey of several "pilgrims" of various backgrounds to a mysterious godlike entity called The Shrike. The story is beautifully woven into the fate of the universe in a way that feels natural. theu author is a scholar of philosophy and poetry, and the book deals with concepts of religion and morality head-on. It feels like learning with the characters as they uncover truths with brilliant modern day parallels.
Finally its language is some of the most beautiful I've ever seen in a modern book, with a large part of the story involving the work of the poet John Keats.

I usually read from the library first, then buy what I want a physical copy of. I hope to one day build a library of my own. There are some good websites where you can get decent conditioned paper backs for 3-6 bucks

I’ve yet to read the final chronicles but what I’ve read so far in the first 6 books has been absolutely brilliant. I don’t think this series gets the recognition it deserves

The Word/Void series by terry brooks is okay. Ties in with the shannara books if you like those. Some of the later books after the icewind dale trilogy by r.a. salvatore are pretty good too

>David Gemmel
>King
only 2 authors in fantasy I've ever read. Would I like Wheel of Time?

Sold by the first sentence, I loved the canturbury tales haha. I’ll be sure to check this out, I used to read a lot of Keats as well. Never read his Hyperion though I did read Endymion as a wee lad

Besides that it's an excellent military fiction that satisfies that need we have for tactical communication and strategic thinking. It really is the best sci fi/fantasy book I've ever read. I don't say that lightly, I've probably read near 20 new ones this year already. It's a commitment though so if you're looking for something a bit lighter I can recommend other things.

Try the Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence. It's pretty grim stuff but should appeal to a (b)fag.
For a good and long standalone book try Battle Mage by Peter Flannery. Also Wolf of the North series by Duncan Hamilton..

Books are for faggots

Probably, it does drag on a bit though

I liked Endymion but this series is better in my opinion. It'll be interesting for you to read since you sort of already know the biggest points of the ending

Bernard Cornwell's king Arthur trilogy was good. It grounds the myth in a plausible backdrop of the Saxon invasion of the British isles. If you like George r Martin, you should like those books.

My bookshelf is on a NAS.

Attached: pdf library.png (638x516, 30K)

Go play some more Fortnite kid.

R.a Salvatore sounds familiar I’ve come across his name a few times now I’ll have to see what he’s about

Broken empire was one of the best contemporary fantasy series I’ve read so far.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Bobiverse by Dennis E. Taylor
Old Man's War by John Scalzi
14 by Peter Clines

Old Man's War is another excellent one op. I like your list user. Whats Bobiverse about? You should try Galaxy's Edge, Legionnaire. It's another of those start small scale get big dystopian universe things. The whole series is great but you'll know by the first book if it's for you. It's pretty short and free on kindle I think. Feels a lot like Scalzi but darker

Try his newer series starting with Red Sister.. its good stuff.

he mostly just does licensed stuff, don't expect anything ground breaking, but they're entertaining

There are three others. The first one follows the pilgrims as they travel across the planet Hyperion to a place called The Time Tombs. The second details the fall of the ruling empire. The third details the chase of a young girl and her guardian by a military captain and an assassin. The fourth details the girl's coming of age. They are worth it.

Thanks, will do.
Bobiverse is about a wealthy programmer that freezes his brain before he dies and is woken up in a dystopian post-scarcity earth about 100 years in the future. He is implanted into an AI and learns how to become a very strong cyborg/ai entity that is basically tasked with saving humanity. He has to discover new technologies and also protect the humans from our selves. He replicates himself to find new systems, which also adds more characters. Strongly recommend the audio book.

Thanks for clarifying. I keep forgetting the first to are separate books. Ya, the first two can be pretty standalone, and so can the second two. It's hard to read just the first one because there isn't much of an ending. Feels like they were meant to be the same book. Sorta like Lord of the Rings really can't be separated. You're right, they're all worth it

I'm gonna buy that tonight sounds awesome

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is the best-written book I've ever read in any genre. I can't give it enough praise. I 100% recommend it to everyone.
The Temeraire series is very good too, it's a fun twist on a historical fiction.

Attached: 20190224_193223_HDR.jpg (2560x1280, 1.21M)

Do not be misled, wheel of time is trash and not worth any time at all

Never read those, but Grail Quest and Saxon Tales series' are phenomenal historical fiction

Gotta agree here. Only got to book 4 and felt like i was wasting more time than I was enjoying. The endings are good with great world building, but the editor needed to limit him to 500 pages.

No hp lovecraft

Pathetic

Attached: BA9BDF5F-EA86-4270-BC7D-45225BC32FA4.jpg (800x450, 36K)

Have you read Piers Anthony at all?

Malazan is better than anything by Rothfuss

He's not much of a series writer... but yeah I would recommend him to those that enjoy a "Diablo" style setting (fucking creepy demons and shit, pre-20th century)
Also be warned he writes at a very high reading level, and most of his stuff is short stories.

Solid collection user. I’ve read the name of the wind and the second book, still waiting on the sequel to the series :-/

I have not user

not sure if anyones said it already but I love the warhammer 40k series stick to the main horus hersey books and they portray the sci-fi universe quite well

as warhammer 40k can be really daunting and overwhelming

I can never upload photos from my phone to Yea Forums, but have a bump.

OP, have you read The Dark Tower series?

Favorite writer I highly recommend “rats in the wall” or “the shadow out of time”

>I have not user
I read him a lot in middle school, though a lot of it went over my head as I was still young and naive. I have tried re-reading some of his works as an adult and it's pretty hit or miss, I've just been curious to conversate with someone who has read it as well. He is mostly known for the 'Xanth' series, which has basically become a formulaic mess of over 30 books. I remember his early entries in it being interesting but I was in middleschool. The first novel is called 'A spell for chameleon' and it is about a magical country where everyone is born with a 'magical talent'. Those who do not seem to posses one by the time they are adults are exiled from the kingdom to live in 'Mundania' which is just our own world. He goes to the great magician, someone whose magic talent is simply 'knowledge' and even he sends him away to the land without magic.

It's an interesting book and has some very old fashioned views on the way men view women, but not in a negative way despite what SJWs have to say about it as of late. The series has interesting premises for the first dozen or so novels. In book two the protagonist goes to seek the source of magic. In book 5 we follow a giant ogre who loves a nymph. Book 6 or 7 is about a 'night mare' a dark horse whose job it is to deliver nightmares to people. She gets involved with helping the humans of xanth protect from a military invasion from the outside. In one novel the Great Magician tries to save his dead wife, etc. etc. IT's interesting stuff.

But it becomes formulaic pretty fast. Distant sequels all use the same structure.

I actually finished Gunslinger today. Not sure how I felt about it. I was oddly captivated enough to finish the book and am interested enough to read the second, still a little confused at how jovial the man in black seemed at the end of the book compared to the sardonic necromancer we see at the beginning

The Legend of Drizzt series was great, and I personally loved Warriors (not a furry but I understand if you think I am).

Attached: 1528954791061.jpg (320x320, 12K)

>not having a $5 ereader from ebay and pirating .epub files
nigger

One Piers anthony novel I think is REALLY worth reading is 'on a pale horse'. It is about a man who accidentally kills death and now must assume the office. the ending is a bit anticlimactic though as it was intended to be a 5 or 7 part series, each one dealing with someone new assuming the office of an incarnation of immortality (death, time, nature, fate, war, evil, good).

The sequel is about a man who's lover dies, and he assumes the office of time so that he can continue to be with her. It's interesting because the incarnation of time lives his entire life backwards. His job is to detail everything that happens and make sure everything that happens has a cause. So what we should be seeing is a whole lot of experiencing relationships in reverse, particularly with his lover, but that never happens. I only got half way through the novel, perhaps a bit beyond, but it was a waste of time. The author dedicates large portions of it to the main character essentially playing a video game. He gives up on his lover almost immediately, so we don't get to see the relationship in reverse. just annoying stuff.

Abercrombie,the best cure for insomnia.

Attached: JoeAbercrombieRacingThruPlots.jpg (1080x1440, 1.1M)

Check out Justin Cronin's Passage trilogy.

Check out the Immortal instruments/ infernal devices series. It is some of the best I have read.

poor fag. I only buy hardbacks.

The first one is awesome. The quality steadily declines after that. The last one is insultingly bad.

That's a series for teen girls. You should consider growing up or killing yourself.

I found them very enjoyable, the magic is very satisfying and the world is well thought-out. Maybe too well thought-out; I agree with that it spends a ton of time on non-essential stuff. There are also maybe ten separate plots all running parallel so it can take a while for any good payoffs.

Dresden files.

5/10

3pts for lord of the rings alone

Remembrance of Earth's Past, if you haven't already.

The first book is definitely closer to sci-fi, but the rest definitely walk the fantasy line.

Lmao this

I wholeheartedly disagree; I thought the first one is an excellent but sorta out-of-place book in the series. It's a good apocalyptic series, some very meta stuff, interesting play with myth vs history, and some classic King horror elements without it being scary.

If you really invest yourself in the wheel of time you will be scarred for life After book 6 The series takes a serious downturn in Quality and when you think about all of the time and effort you put into reading the series you might consider suicide

Which one is your favourite?
I liked the first one because Roland was an interesting anti-hero with lots of room to grow, and his world was unique; it was clearly a different place, but some elements were similar to ours.

It's a great series but I've lost all hope that the Author is ever going to finish it so you might wanna watch out for that

this poster is a skeleton, do not believe anything he says.

Attached: Oh god they multiply.jpg (612x612, 107K)

I couldn't get past the part in the 1st book where the young captain fucks the fat old mage lady

I love that the only person in that whole series who isn't a complete ass hole Has a murderous split personality Absolutely fantastic

I thought Wizard and Glass was just a blast to read. Young Roland, exploring his world, and showing him with his OG ka-tet. I do wish we saw more of the boys. Honourable mention to Waste Lands for having some top-tier NPC single-encounter characters who don't feel like wasted words.

I think Song of Susannah was probably the weakest link. Makes some pretty wild jumps in story scale and in wordbuilding, lots of plot elements that sorta pop in and out and seem like they could have been skipped.

King Killer? What a snoozer. I know it's highly rated but let me save you some time... I can only recommend this book if you have never read any good and engaging books. SNOOZE
Also he is never going to finish it.

What do you mean when you say it takes a downturn in quality? I think Verin's plotline is very satisfying. I agree the last few books feel like Sanderson was trying to wrap up a million dangling plotlines, and it wasn't the strongest part by far, but I thought it was at least enjoyable.

>I thought Wizard and Glass was just a blast to read.
Yeah, that one was definitely a high point in the series for me. It was like a refreshing, new Roland. Even thought the plot was fairly predictable (I knew his gf and all his friends would die) I still felt sad when they did.

What don't you like about it? I know the basic plot outline isn't the most original, but I love it for the technical aspects; the way Rothfuss writes such poetry using mere words. I'm an amateur writer myself and I appreciate the detail and care he put into every single word.

Collapsing Empire, Agent of the Stars, Locked In are great Scalzi works I'm assuming that you read all the other OMW titles?
Safehold Series by David Webber is an interesting take on scifi

Well it's been about 5 years since I read crossroads of twilight which was the last book in the series that I was able to finish before I broke down and gave into a deep dark depression But one of the worst Examples.... is when the princess love interest goes around and renames all of the colleges that rand had been building He thought it would be the one good thing he did with his life and she just ruined it all I was disgusted absolutely Disgusted

Watching a far less experienced Roland was a great pleasure. I think that might even be one of the things I loved about the series; seeing this implacable generic wild west 'I already know everything' character fighting with his insecurities and unknowns even when he really IS the most knowledgeable character other than Randall and maybe a small handful of others.

How long has it been since you have seen a vagina ?

No joke the Witcher books are really great, Sword of Destiny particularly

Its an interesting universe with a rich past and 8th ed has moved the plot along. It is a little trash the quality of the writing and some of the side books mess with the cannon. Overall the the black library do solid output.

Here is a recommendation you're not likely to get from someone else the Sorcerer's ring series it's one of the worst piles of shit I've ever had the misfortune to read But it's one of those it's so bad it's good things you will be perplex and entertained by just how bad the writing is

Why is renaming the school ruining it? I think it still ran the same, with the same staff, students, and mission; Elayne only renames the one in Camelyn, which is her city of birth. I don't think she touched the Cairhien one at all, even though that city was also hers. And of course Rand can't exactly run them himself.

I agree it seems weird she renamed it, but I'm surprised that's the biggest thing that bothers you. It doesn't feel like a particularly major plot point.

OP is old and hasn't had any new books in ages.

Like I said it's Been a while since I've read the series But as to why it ruins it that was his legacy that meant everything to him it was how the world was supposed to remember him and she took it away also her chapters were just a chore to read they were terrible I can't remember exact details but I remember just hating everything that she did

First is the worst, but Eriksons fearless exploration of chubby chasing was novel for the time. Malazan is great

>this poster is a skeleton
No i am not

It really is well written I enjoyed everything up to that point but I was so grossed out the way it's described with him bashfully taking her hand as she leads him to the bed gag me with a flecking stick bro

Gunslinger was the best, followed by wizard and glass but as a whole tye series was drawn out garbage. The drawing of the three was one of the most boring books ive ever read and you could tell King didnt know what he was even doing after the first book. It was just a madman who sobered up at the wrong time and wrote some of the worst mainstream fantasy out there.
I mean, its Stephen King writing fantasy. If it was any good, the dark tower would get way more hype than it does

I couldn't stand that uppity nigger in the 2nd

*Book

The series only starts to get moving after Paran bangs Tattersail. Youre doing yourself a disservice if you dont at least read the first 3 Malazan novels

How about the 200 pages dedicated to the "lobstrosities". Drawing of the three really showed me that King was kind of a douche who was real hit or miss with his writing

I definitely don't think you're supposed to read it as straight fantasy. It's somewhere between a fantasy like LOTR and a normal King book; some sorta mystical mumbo-jumbo that mostly works, an incredibly poorly-explained magic system, a slightly metaphysical primary villain and general feel; it has all the hallmarks of a King book, but over seven books. The Drawing of the Three was definitely not great. Early Susannah is probably my least favourite part of the series, but I thought Eddie's beginning was OK.
Also the crazy paradox thing with the kid totally fucked up the choice Roland made in the first book, even though King tried to make that not the case. Necessary for the greater plot, but always felt reeeally fishy and is probably my biggest sticking point plotwise.

>read nearly 100 fantasy books
Fucking rookie

Sounds like a rip off of Tim Allens' "Santa Claus"

All im getting from your post is that the series has too many shortcomings but, hey, its Stephen King so it must be worth reading 7 progressively lengthy and nonsensical books in a convoluted series

I think Drawing of the Three was his sorta shitty bridge between the first book, which was interesting but clearly supposed to be standalone, and the rest of the series, of which at least the middle three and the last one are quite good in my opinion.

I have all three of the mistborn era 1 books and all three of the era 2 books, warbreaker, Elantris, stormlight archive. Brandon Sanderson is a beast

I'm more of a Robert E. Howard man myself