Is he the most overrated wrestler in recent history? He was complete garbage bell to bell. All his offense was sloppy...

Is he the most overrated wrestler in recent history? He was complete garbage bell to bell. All his offense was sloppy, his selling was absolutely ridiculous, and he tripped over his own feet every match. He's one of the worst workers to ever get a sustained push. Even Roman Reigns is a better wrestler.

Attached: 34aecde59d52348bc8853ed8934cc968.jpg (1280x1280, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pkXQcNp6-h8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No dimes Nashetty seething

Care to extrapolate?

He drew money that's all that matters ya neckbeard.

I know this is bait but Rock was more than serviceable in the ring. Zoomers who claim Rock was a sloppy worker don't know what they're talking about

2000 with Rock as the top guy was the highest drawing year financially in wrestling ever

>Much workrate
You're exactly the type of mark that ruined wrestling. The Rock is probably the prime example that workrate doesn't mean jack shit. The only thing that matters is how over you are, and how much you sell tickets.

He was ridiculous you're absolutely right. However for that very reason he drew dimes.

There's a Stone Cold who is the mic GOAT

Benoit is the ring GOAT

Rocky isn't in the middle but somewhere else. Like a funny mascot of the entire industry. He's appreciated in his own way that he himself created.

Rock was just pure charisma. The dude could just stand in the ring and say literally nothing, only raising one eyebrow, and he'd have the audience in the palm of his hand.

Care to extrapolate?

Zoomers view The Rock the way you viewed David 'The Hoff' Hasselhoff.

>Stone Cold who is the mic GOAT
incorrect Rock was the better promo he could work heel or face whereas Stone Cold could only work Face / tweener after he blew up/

Charisma +11
Strenght +8
Agility +7
Ps. 10 is the max points possible, based peoples champion is just that damn good

I'd rather watch a terrible sloppy Rock match than any of the supposed good shit that Meltzer praises in NXT the past two years.

>Stone Cold could only work Face / tweener after he blew up
That's just because of how huge he gotten. His initial hell character showed how great he was as one, especially the feud against Bret Hart. Once he turned though, the audience were never going to accept him as an absolute heel ever again. I wouldn't say that's totally his fault.

But yeah, Rock was amazing for his ability to switch whenever he wanted with seemingly no halt or slow down in his momentum. That's very rare for anybody. Who else could just turn like that with no problem? Tempted to say Jericho for a moment, but he was never at that top level like Rock (not really), and his face runs were always weak.

>Once he turned though, the audience were never going to accept him as an absolute heel ever again. I wouldn't say that's totally his fault.
That's the thing tho Rock blew up just as much as Stone Cold did and he was still able to drew nuclear heat. See his Toronto promo for instance or his Sacramento promo. The crowds start off cheering him at the start of the promos and end up booing him out the building.

The Rock gets more pie in a week than you get in a lifetime, fatty

hiding his moobs

Attached: hs.png (716x283, 106K)

SC was the real people champion that's why they could never really boo him, he just found the perfect gimmick

Rock was better promo than austin

Charisma > Ring Skills

Incorrect.

>The Rock only has one (1) 9+ rated match on cagematch
>Triple H has 12 9+ rated matches on cagematch
Smarks can't explain that.

Name someone in the Attitude Era of WWF who worse worse in-ring than The Rock.

Cunter, give it a rest

He was able to keep up with the best workers in the promotion, even if his technique was very impressive. He tried hard to get better, especially during his later years where he started to expand his moveset.

The rock wrestled 6 years while hatch wrestled for almost 25?

Who’s the the in-ring work vs best talker and who drew the most dimes

Mick Foley after 97 was worse

Austin was both the top talker and one of the top in-ring, until Owen nearly crippled him.

>a 27 year old Division-1 athlete is a better wrestler than a fat old guy who got thrown off buildings for 15 years
Not saying much.

I watched a random Rock/Flair match from Smackdown I think a few weeks back, and it was better than all these 20 minute 5 star classics full of flippy floppy thigh slapping shit.

>Flair never did flips and flops

Ahmed Johnson

ken shamrock

Taker, Big Show, Foley, Rikishi, Road Dogg, Gangrel, Kane, Viscera,

>Austin was both the top talker and one of the top in-ring
Nope Rock was a better promo

Perhaps, but Shamrock always looked stiffer, not looser. Shamrock was also considered much more legit.

Probably, but at least Ahmed took and gave powerbombs. Rock only took and gave back bumps, or would put his hands a good 18 inches in front of any face bump.

Wrestling is more than just about doing a ton of fancy moves and near falls that make the crowd chant "this is awesome". It's about selling, timing, pacing, engaging the crowd and entertaining the audience. Rock had all that nailed down, and more. He's one of the best in ring workers ever for that reason. Hogan is too.

>Taker
Not during the AE.

>Big Show
Maybe, but Show in the RA and after got really good and bumped like a beast.

>Foley
was basically a cripple

>Road Dogg
Had better working punches than The Rock

>Gangrel
Nope.

>Kane
You couldn't be any wronger.

>Viscera
Still wrong.

Being good in the ring is all subjective and opinionated anyway.

I suggest you moves geeks look up early Rock footage when he was being trained to be a moves geek and was doing frankensteiners and moonsaults and all kinds of flippy shit. The man's agility and flexibility and timing was on display there and if I have no doubts if he continued that way he would've had all these "smark" pleasing matches and a destroyed body along with it.

Thankfully Jerry Lawler smartened him up during his time in Memphis a told him to worry about having promos and a decent worked punch instead,

Link?

>bell to bell
have sex with a living female

You ever gonna lose your virginity?

No.
Bayley and Sasha are.

he is one of the only wrestlers all time that is a household name with normies to this day two decades after his peak. he's on wrestling's mt rushmore

Lawler nurturing Rock in Memphis was only something I found out recently. No wonder he was such a huge mark for him on commentary

That would be nice if Rock actually had a good punch.

Not one single fan during the Attitude Era complained about his 'ring work.' NO ONE cares.

The IWC did.

I don't acknowledge them.

Do you think he will come back for a retirement match?

it was actually raw and yeah its more entertaining than these rey/almas "technical classics"

youtube.com/watch?v=pkXQcNp6-h8

He will. He did an interview recently and when asked if he was retired, he said "Well that's the thing about pro wrestling, no one stays retired" with a grin. And with his daughter training to be a wrestler, wouldn't surprise me if he did some sort of mixed tag down the line.

Great, so another Charlotte Flair, but even worse.

Lol that's why Rocky's one of the goat's man.
Even though he's the face, he realises the crowd is a bit more with Flair being the older legend, and doesn't mind heeling it up a bit to get cheap heat. What face would do that today if they weren't getting the desired reaction mid-match?

>le workrate
Fuck off retard

Attached: 1521428258427.gif (320x180, 2.9M)

>being endorsed by bret the hitman hart and jerry lawler
>being praised by okada
>somehow some random "work rate" dork knows better than them

Have sex OP, i'm begging ya

Attached: 1522005412853.png (800x450, 300K)

nice reddit reaction pick brosef

DIE ROCKY DIE

How in the FUCK did Flair manage to still come across as being so credible at this age?

>Not during the AE.
Taker was an out of shape shitter during the AE

>Maybe
Not maybe Rock far outclassed Show (while impressive for his size) in the ring. Also another shitter who couldn't stay in shape.

>Had better working punches
Rock was far better in the ring than him

>Nope
Yes

>You couldn't be any wronger.
Kane is GOAT big man but he is the definition of a 3 star machine. His greatest matches can't even compare to Rock's best

>Still wrong.
Viscera was just another dime a dozen unit nothing note worthy about him suggesting he's better than The Rock is silly.

Hogan had a shitty work rate but he was super over too. In fact he might be the most over wrestler in history next to Rock. So work rate means shit compared to how over you are.

SOS
WOLFNOG SEETHING
SOS
WOLFKEK FUMMING

Only person I can think of was Hogan. His heel turn was legendary and drew insane heat that lasted for a quite a long time.

The entire hardcore division

Flairs pratfalls were comedy done right. He still sold better than any indie darling or flippy shit wrestler today.

His wrestling style could work today if he wanted it. Just basic chops, moves and bumps. These guys today could learn a thing or two.

>Nope
One word lmao. Thanks for confirming your zoomer ass has never seen a Gangrel match.

nice no true scotsman you got there bud

Kurt Angle is the best and most consistent heel/face turner of all time, able to get the same level of heat and make these moves on a dime.

Based

That would be Triple H and Goldberg.

This

Filtered

Cause WOOOOOOOO he's duh NATCH ur boy you smark.

Cringe

And they ruined wrestling for America and Canada. Thank god Japan and Mexico ignores their IWC community.

>He's one of the worst workers to ever get a sustained push.
Cena exists.

>IWC

who or what the fuck is that and why should i care what they think about Dwayne "Dimes" Johnson?

Cena is the ultimate pleb filter

I'm still astounded that this match on TV is better than most Wrestlemania matches today.

You can tell someone is a zoomer when they say The Rock sucks in the ring. WTF is wrong with you people?

based

>Even Roman Reigns is a better wrestler.

K.

All of this is true and he's still one of the fucking goats. Work rate can be great, but when you have elite entertainers it's not the most important thing and Rock is the best proof.

Rock was so fucking good. No one, even Flair, NO ONE has ever been able to play with the audience and make them move and do whatever he wanted like the Rock. He had his catch phrases and got cheap pops and heat, but also had some of the best and most memorable promo work of all time in between. He's for sure the GOAT promo as far as getting me invested in an ass whooping, or ready to watch a PPV.

Love Rock, but he was kind of sloppy. His kicks neve look like they hurt and he's the polar opposite of snug. Go watch his second mania math with Austin and it's really obvious, but it's still so good because they're the fucking GOATs.

And judging by this thread, he's a really underrated worker. WTF is up with that? Where did all these zoomers come from?

Say what you want, Rock vs Stone Cold at Backlash '99 was greatness from start to finish.

We grew up, man. Shit sucks.

That doesn't mean your shit taste grows.

Fuck! Watch the crowd get up and get hype as soon as Rock even hints at the people's elbow. Wrestling was so much better back then before the power creep of today. It's an objectively shitty and silly move that he got over 10/10, same thing with Hogan's Leg Drop, except that Rock didn't fuck up his body with the people's elbow.

Don't bother m8 the reddit work rate demographic enjoy a different type of wrestling and call their backwards opinion facts.

Attached: 1563905062617_1_1.jpg (129x164, 8K)

I just mean, when I started getting on Yea Forums I was 18. It's 10 years later and there are kids on here now that were probably fucking 4 back then. Those fuckers truly believe in muh workrate and don't know shit about real draws. I can enjoy a well worked match, but the only narrative I'll buy about why wrestling's ratings went down so drastically is that it lost 4 Goats as real main eventers within about 4 years and they guys they tried to replace them with just weren't at that level and no one has even approached it yet. At least in the states. Japan works differently, but as good as Okada is, he'll never draw like Rikidozan. I'm rambling.

I know, I know. I'm just asking how the fuck did these kids not realize Rock is an actually good in ring worker.

No clue man. That match posted before has a perfect ending. Didn't need three falls or a thousand reversals. Stupid fucks.

>4 Goats as real main eventers within about 4 years
Hogan
Rock
Austin
???

I love good reversals though, and Rock was really good at those, like that match he had with Eddie.

It's pretty common for those kind of fans to say the AE sucked so naturally they're gonna shit on the talent involved too.

Who?

Randy Savage I guess

Not gonna lie a lot of the AE did suck but from 2000 and on, they started doing really good especially after upgrading the midcard.

That was a clinic.

Rock was and still is the biggest draw in wrestling.

How is anyone considered a good wrestler if they aren’t the reason for selling tickets?

Attached: 6DB690C5-F376-42FF-85EE-BE73CCDFF372.jpg (700x350, 49K)

You can be a good in-ring wrestler and not be a draw. Take Benoit for instance.

Calling the talent shit is pretty retarded though it's just an extra dig at the AE.

And see how that worked out?

For sure. That match ends with one, but not a thousand. A bunch of them can be great at the right time, but when it pervades entire shows it gets tiresome. See NXT.

I know I'm just saying you can judge a wrestler's in ring work individually but it's defintely the least important aspect when it comes to being an overall draw. I'd say it goes
1.Look
2.Promo
3.Work Rate

eh Yeah they did have some decent midcarders beforehand but let's be honest, it wasn't that great before 2000.

idk I still love Japanese with a million reversals because they were telling stories. NXT is just a spotfest.

Not just the midcard as evidenced by OP and the Rock.

>believing the zoomer
wtf dude?

I agree history has been extremely generous to his legacy. I would say he was "fine" which is respectable enough. He was extremely sloppy but to me sloppy is not negative, because real fighting is sloppy, so it never bothered me. The matches he had were a product of their time, even good wrestlers were mostly having bad matches in WWE then because it was just a wasteland of edgy bullshit. His delivery when he talked was always great but mostly what he did was just retell the same three jokes his whole career. His ridiculous selling also makes me seeth but that's a point of personal preference so I can't hold that against him. But I also respect him a lot in hindsight that he was able to improvise well in the ring whether it was with the audience or with a blown spot etc. I want to like Roman Reigns who is also a guy who is just "fine" but Reigns clearly doesn't have the ability to think on his feet like Rocky was able to when someone botches their timing in a match.

Attached: Sesame-Street-Big-Bird-Woman-Costume.jpg (379x500, 77K)

Educate yourself you workrate geeks, rock is the undisputed GOAT

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-17 Cody Rhodes Says Hulk Hogan vs The Rock From WrestleMania 18 Is Best Match Of (500x242, 16K)

>but mostly what he did was just retell the same three jokes his whole career.
That's just not true Rock was godly on the mic and could get over as a heel or a face.

eh nah, I'm against that. Both Rock and Hogan had more star studded and entertaining matches than that.

>workrate
stop using that word if you don't know what it means, the rocks workrate was as good as anyone elses

You can't educate ignorance

Attached: 0d417119105ac13f651712bc39baa5b8.png (500x601, 464K)

GOAT dimes look

Attached: hqdefault (72).jpg (480x360, 22K)

>worst workers
You have no idea what this means

Why does the Rock End of Days himself?

Nobody is sloppier or worse at selling Rock’s level of push than Cena.

Kevin Nash was raped at gunpoint in the summer of 1992

Attached: 2B3821EF-24BE-40D2-8213-4C3B0B7B3716.jpg (600x800, 58K)

>just that damn good
That's a trademarked phrase, fuckface. Pay the Haitch his due.

Attached: 1509464166166.gif (200x150, 3.48M)

Don't forget his entire gimmick consisted of repeating the same promo verbatim show after show.

anyone who uses the term overrated in any capacity should be shot

you can call him a faggot or shit but you can't deny The Dimes is the GOAT

Attached: 1529607994322.jpg (642x722, 73K)

>Seth does 3 frog splashes, 10 suicide dives, a gorillion top rope falcon arrows and no one cares
>Rock raises his eyebrow, everyone in the audience creams themselves and dimes start raining from the ceiling

This is why zoomer work rate marks are retarded. They cry because Rock's sharpshooter was sloppy but ignore he could work the crowd better than almost anyone with fucking facial expressions.

Owen's whole moveset is just spamming big spots like stunner, frog splash, swanton, superkick, sunset flip etc. And no one gives a fuck.

Brock will just do a few basic moves and has the crowd hooked on every single punch, kick, suplex everything. I've nevee seen a crowd more engaged like they are a Brock match. And some call him a bad wrestler.

The biggest proof workrate doesn’t matter is enzo. He would be drawing dimes if he was still in the e desu

Workrate is overrated trur but to act like unless you do 50 moves your shit in the ring is stupid.

Flair could wrestle 10 minute just doing punches, chops, a scoop slam and a figure 4. And the crowd would eat up every second of it. Isn't that what in ring play fighting is about?

All Enzo was good at was promos and selling. I don't remember a single move of his, but he was a legit fucking draw.