/esg/-eternal skatebarding general

Rad cranberry farmer edition: youtu.be/oWIPA_L6V7w

Basic brand information for beginners: pastebin.com/CxdBGA6W

Shoe reviews: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnSv7MyhLozYdGM1a1FUMHNtTkRFN0xkVmt3dEZ0NHc#gid=0
Submit a shoe review: docs.google.com/forms/d/1Y70Tug_iI9-dW2VqBBzsI9PCnFlw1jIOu9yTlHcc-wY/viewform

SKATEBOARDING IS 90% MIND, 10% BODY

YOU' RE NEVER TOO OLD TO SKATE NOW GO OUT AND SHRED
YOU 'RE NEVER TOO FAT TO SKATE NOW GO OUT AND SHRED

OLD THREAD: youtube.com/watch?v=mfl-foaJtTU

Attached: bogboy.jpg (520x495, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eTmt1lLf1ec
youtu.be/djWiEa9q7qs
youtube.com/watch?v=7j3L9Cakwh0
github.com/Kagami/boram
youtube.com/watch?v=LahtOe8sfok
youtube.com/watch?v=vw49r9vxiko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Westgate has the best half cab flip

Attached: donotatme.gif (494x277, 951K)

Also my favourite FS Flips (alongside Reynolds)
youtube.com/watch?v=eTmt1lLf1ec

Attached: 1496441350494.jpg (546x366, 47K)

necrobump

Post you are skate tunes
youtu.be/djWiEa9q7qs

I'm 29, used to mess around on a friend's board as a kid but I haven't been on a board in 18 years. Going to buy myself a board from the local skate shop and learn how to ride and ollie this summer. Any tips or suggestions?

>started learning how to skate recently
>im still too afraid to jump on it from the ground while it is rolling
>try tricks that dont envolve jumping from the ground to it
>think doing a stand pivot is easy
i can only do 90 degrees even if i almost kick the board i cant reach the 180... How am i suposed to flip it to 180 is it my nose feet that must provide the rotation or is it my back feet along with my back

Generally when you're rotating it's movement from your whole body turning, basically just turn your head and shoulders and let the rest of your body follow

Attached: esg_2faced1copy.jpg (650x628, 177K)

This whole album really

youtube.com/watch?v=7j3L9Cakwh0

yeah, but i cant do it for the 180 degrees, am i supposed to already be looking backwards and shoulders rotated or is it supposed to be a gradual step like first do around 90 and then force the another 90 to turn?

brandon westgate's part in Zoo York introduced me to Magic Man

also, thanks OP

have fun

Vibes are everything

if you keep at it, it will come to you

something I hear is that people learn from different ollie advice. So all I can say is keep practicing and also conquer fear. Even if you don't feel scared- did you hesitate? Did you mindlessly jump weird? FEAR and you don't even know it. Overcome it my man

for some reason i thought this was matt allen until i saw the filename

favorite trick that doesn't require an ollie

Attached: NQKU4544.webm (720x540, 2.89M)

last thread was deleted before you could answer me.

Or no, you did answer.

can you repost the link for making webms?

here's what i use
github.com/Kagami/boram
i just found out that it's cross platform
be sure to disable audio by going to the "audio fx" tab and unchecking the audio track
then go to the "codecs" tab and select "vp8" for the video codec
there's a 3MB limit on file size so to the right of the video codec, enter 3 for the limit
you can scale down your video in the "video fx" tab by entering either the height or width in the "scale" fields and the program will calculate the corresponding height/width

mhmm
mhmm
ok
check
got it
ok, allright

here's a video of australians being australians

youtube.com/watch?v=LahtOe8sfok

you guys I had a skateboard when I was younger but because of overprotective parents I never learned even how to stand on it
Now I am 19 and live alone so if I tighten the screws would the skate still be any good to start?
and if I were to start would other skaters at the park be cool about this old fucker trying to learn?

Is it a decent board? If not buy a good one from a skate shop, and
>park
Parks are for queers just practice riding on the road and sidewalk/ollying onto curbs and shit before going to a park.

thx man appreciated
Is shoping online a good idea?
cause my city is preatty small and living in europe finding anything skateboarding related is preatty much impossible

stonerplank

at 19 youre not old at all and have every right to be there. will the board still be good, no it wont, it will be soggy with no pop, but at your total newbie skill level, you wont be able to notice and itll work fine to learn on. when you tighten the screws make sure to leave the big nut on the bottom of each truck a little loose so your board can lean and turn.

have fun
youtube.com/watch?v=vw49r9vxiko

thx for the help man

Cool

>and have every right to be there.

HEYYYYYYYY

what about us older guys?

This

Not that guy, only just learning to ollie myself and having a pretty tough time, but they always come out best when I don't think about the motion too much.

I salute you guys for powering through this shit hole of a board when all others gave up

Shopping online is frowned upon only if you have a local skateshop that supports the local community.

I don't want you to take this the wrong way and make arbitrary assumptions about "the value of hard work" or other Reagan-era inspired republican metaphors.

Because that's my greatest fear whenever I hear people praising skateboarders.

sorry thats reserved for DYLAN

Attached: BHBrenda.jpg (480x360, 12K)

this is my family. i found it all on my own. it's little, and broken, but good. yeah, still good.

>would other skaters at the park be cool about this old fucker
>I am 19

Never understood this

Attached: 1550610691952.jpg (1089x817, 64K)

NEW CONFIDENCE LEVEL - UNLOCKED
PSA: TO MY FELLOW STRUGGLING OLLIEBROS

So, after an eternity of pop & drag drills going nowhere, I started experimenting. Point being - when I pop the very end of the tail with the ball of my foot, the board goes fucking flying and I have no hope of catching it, not to mention land it and not die. It's also bad conditions for learning the dragging motion. Plus, when I focus on stomping the tail, I lose mmy leverage to be able to lift the back foot back up. It's just uncontrollable for a noob.

So I started practicing jumping on to a moving board, tiny hippie jumps, tic-tacs, things like that to start being lighter on my feet and get more board control. And then it kind of just happened by itself, the smallest ollie imaginable, but comfortable as fuck, and all it took was moving the back foot away from the tip of the tail and into the pocket, lifting the front trucks a little bit and then lifting the back foot up. No pop. From that moment on, I landed 9 out of 10 of my shitty little ollies, and within an hour I could start experimenting with my upper body posture, lifting the front trucks higher, being quicker with my back foot, getting that little bunny hop motion down, and even doing it at a decent speed, things totally unimaginable with those drills that people recommend. I have yet do do an ollie with a proper pop to the ground and drag but it actually feels like a matter of time now, instead of a completely foreign and uncomfortable motion.

TLDR pop & drag seems like a shitty way to start learning an ollie, at least for me. all I got from them was a razortail like a motherfucker. Getting a coordinated bunny hop with no pop was much more helpful.

>would the skate still be any good to start
You can do an ollie on a plank of wood with wheels. The real question is what condition the skate is in, what the griptape looks like and what size it is. A deck that is too small will make your life much harder. Also, if your wheels and bearing suck your life will be misery as you will have to make much more effort to roll and you will have a lot of trouble learning ollies while rolling.

>would other skaters at the park be cool about this old fucker trying to learn?
19 is not old at all. I've seen a few 30 year olds just having fun and learning shuvs and ollies. What I like about the skate community is that we're happy someone else enjoys what we do and is giving it the effort. What you should do first is get comfortable on your board, learn to ride it regular (and also fakie), learn kickturns (those 180 spin things where you spin on two wheels) and in the meantime try doing ollies while stationary.
What I noticed is that many people have an easier time with shuvs as you don't need to ollie to do them.

>parks
Don't listen to parks are fucking great for beginners and there is a lot of people who could point out what you're doing wrong and the flat is amazing.

Attached: 1499123455719.gif (500x500, 800K)

Our community is not known for giving up you know

Attached: 1496859901142.jpg (330x260, 17K)

The problem with ollies is that most people are not used to controlling their feet and center of mass.
What I always say to people is that it's ALL about timing and to imagine that they're doing a little "wave" with their feet (pic related). The pop will get the board into the air, and the dragging will lift it up, then you level it by putting a bit of pressure on the nose.
A very important thing when learning new tricks is imagining how you land the trick and where you land it (meaning imagining the board under your feet).

How this wasn't too confusing. I taught five of my mates to do an ollie withtin two days so don't worry, it's definitely doable

Attached: jh.png (632x345, 24K)

y'all ain't surviving tonight

What, is there a bunch of sweaty, dressup playing men fighting again

nice man, and doing other unrelated things that help practice smaller parts of the trick you actually want to learn is key to moving forward in skating in general, so now that you have experienced that effect, your progression in general should pick up. plus now that you can fudge an ollie you can start just trying to flip the board over for giggles and begin on kickflips

This

Attached: austyng.webm (480x360, 599K)

Wrong sweaty

is that so

Attached: 1554661776282.jpg (450x300, 101K)

Attached: austyng-2.webm (640x480, 695K)

Fkin poser bitch

Attached: austyng-3.webm (640x480, 803K)

yall lads watching wrestlemania?

Checked

>Fkin poser bitch
This

Wredditmania? Man drama btfo yet again by skatechads

>Wredditmania? Man drama btfo yet again by skatechads
Based

Attached: dylanr.webm (854x480, 395K)

Today at my local there was an old dude ~40-50yo who is just starting to learn how to skate, super rad. When I got there he was all all wobbly and could not for the life of him balance on his board while moving. I knew immediately what was wrong so I went to my car, grabbed my skate tool, and walked over to him asking if I could see his board, since we we're chatting before he happily obliged.
Sure enough, he had his trucks on his board facing the wrong way (kingpin facing nose/tail). I explain to him exactly why he cannot stand on his board, and begin to correct both the trucks orientation. I give it back to him and proceed to watch an old dude have the time of his fucking life. He learned to roll without falling and learned to kickturn, and despite these being necessary fundamentals, he took great enjoyment in the simple things. It was super fucking rad.

There's literally two guys in this thread.

Attached: giphy.gif (333x187, 1.15M)

Cool

Cool

Any cool places to skate outside of Detroit? Ann Arbor maybe?

my wrist has been hurting in the past few days and i have no idea how it got injured

Attached: dylanr-2.webm (854x480, 488K)

Attached: dylanr-3.webm (854x480, 502K)

Last thread got up to 197 posters. In the summer it will hit 250 maybe almost 300

Who is the Jannetty of Skateboarding?

Steve berra?

I thought wrestlemania was on Friday?

DON'T BITE JOVONTAE'S STYLE

Attached: jakej.webm (640x480, 1.17M)

Attached: jakej-2.webm (640x480, 1.16M)

Attached: mikea.webm (960x720, 1.46M)

Attached: daewon.webm (854x480, 905K)

Attached: daewon-2.webm (854x480, 1.07M)

Attached: daewon-trucks.webm (854x480, 185K)

goodbye, /esg/. i'm ollieing over you

Attached: donger.webm (480x360, 2.94M)

El bumpo

that guy had insane pop

Kien Lieu aka The Donger.

He could Ollie up and 5050 across the coping of mini quarter.

he also has a great hard flip

>shoes for walking and cruising
>wheels for technical
>shoes for technical
>wheels for cruising
It's slowly starting to feel good switching between different combinations, each having a very different feel. Is my rationale correct thinking that not getting muscle memory tied to a specific setup is going to make me more versatile in the long run?

Does it make you more versatile? Sure, you can skate two setups.

Its preference. I like the muscle memory built into riding the same setup. I might have to push more while I'm cruising but I'm 100% confident when it's time to manipulate the board into doing anything, which is more enjoyable for me.

Being versatile on one setup is more valuable IMO. Once you start pushing the limit past the physical boundaries of your daily driver, thats when the second setup really becomes worth it.

How expensive of a hobby is skateboarding? I'm currently trying to not let my life go down the drain and currently look for a preferably outdoorsy hobby to give me purpose and motivation to keep going.

Might run you around 200e if you buy new stuff including shoes, but that should last you for quite a while if you're only starting out. Completes are usually more cost efficient so look around local shops for deals. You likely won't need to spend another penny for a long time if you take care of your stuff (i.e. don't let your shit get wet or rusty).

After you get into it and start riding harder, you could go through 2-3 decks and 2-3 pairs of shoes a year but you don't need to worry about that for the next year or two or three depending on how often you train.

Word of advice, don't get super hard wheels (99 or 100A) unless you have super smooth sidewalks or a skatepark in your area.

Have fun.

Basado.

Thanks a lot for the advice mate. I'm a poorfag, but 200 bucks sound alright if my first gear lasts me a while. Gonna head south/north into the big cities and look around in a skateshop in the next few days. The pastebin definitely helps too.

a complete can go for a 100, you can get shoes for 20-40 bucks if you look for deals carefully, cutting cost is mostly about patience