/esg/ - eternal skate general

new frog video on thrasher youtube channel edition

Basic brand information for beginners: pastebin.com/CxdBGA6W (embed)

Shoe reviews: docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnSv7MyhLozYdGM1a1FUMHNtTkRFN0xkVmt3dEZ0NHc#gid=0
Submit a shoe review: docs.google.com/forms/d/1Y70Tug_iI9-dW2VqBBzsI9PCnFlw1jIOu9yTlHcc-wY/viewform

/esg/ etiquette - make a new thread if the last one slides

trick tip - find some smoother ground to learn tricks on

SKATEBOARDING IS 90% MIND, 10% BODY

YOU' RE NEVER TOO OLD TO SKATE NOW GO OUT AND SHRED
YOU 'RE NEVER TOO FAT TO SKATE NOW GO OUT AND SHRED

OLD THREAD: youtube.com/watch?v=HQHBJs7xs2A

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fMAIeduoofk
youtube.com/watch?v=FrJ0e7rHQuk
warehouseskateboards.com/pivot-cups
youtube.com/watch?v=ilkdFUKb3EI
youtube.com/watch?v=pb0eklk-_CQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hVzJUQfMvYA
youtu.be/aSgMDmJdJRg?t=565
lmgtfy.com/?q=tree well
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

heres the video
youtube.com/watch?v=fMAIeduoofk
hope you're having a good day Welcome user ^__^

bump

bumpadump

>gf catches me mongo pushing
>breaks up with me

Attached: 1508421256662.png (657x527, 45K)

>no comply
>board does it anyway

Attached: 50141245_743848715992647_3870093235405717504_n.gif (272x320, 884K)

>boneless
>bone it

Would it be beneficial to learn to carve switch? Ive already mastered regular and frontside carving... Maybe it would help with switch tricks on coping at some point? Have any of you seen anyone actually carve switch well before?

Very beneficial, but also in my opinion very difficult. My switch carve is more of a fakie carve. I'm still not comfy with it at all, but my first problems when learning it is stalling or pinching on the ramp wall or wheelbite on my tail side heel after the kickturn. It's very in my opinion and is very frustrating to learn butbhey couldn't hurt.

How do I build up the courage to drop in? Last time at the skate park I told myself I'd do it, but it was too busy for me to get a chance where I felt comfortable. Now I've been avoiding the park for 3 months. I'm really ashamed but I'm too scared to fail to drop in and hurt myself, or to go again without trying to drop in

Attached: qgl24lz25je21.jpg (1024x657, 113K)

You've probably heard this before:
ALL of your weight forward onto your lead foot. Smash your nose into the ramp as hard as you fucking can. You won't need to worry about leaning to far forward, but need to never lean to far back or you'll shoot. It's one of those things where after you do it, you'll roll your eyes over how easy it was. You got this.

Ty user yeah I've heard this all before, ty for this reminder:
>It's one of those things where after you do it, you'll roll your eyes over how easy it was

Best how-to channels? Aaron kyro seems like a huge fag

do it on a smaller ramp and work your way up!

ride channel trick tips, rad rat, ben degros,

used to like this guy's tutorials back in the day too, youtube.com/watch?v=FrJ0e7rHQuk

OP, you are a true child of /esg/

This. if it's under 5 feet or so, it's way better to fall forward than backward. You fall forward and you roll. You fall backward and you slam, to your back and/or head. I rearranged my spine on a 2.5 foot bank by falling backwards where a forward fall would have been a skinned elbow at worst.

Good point, I've actually fallen forwards a few times on accident and it wasn't that bad.

Vlskate

Attached: tony hawk sandy hook.jpg (1043x732, 401K)

Lmao
those are clearly different people

This was the best part from the new frog video

Attached: frog.jpg (1356x748, 96K)

once he finishes expelling all the thetans from himself he'll be straight again. or at least thats what they tell him

I missed you esg. I have been working on my crail slides and i recently laned my first one on some small transition.

Attached: DSC_69282.jpg (1200x891, 729K)

No it was not

Is that you? Congrats

Chad Caruso is pretty good

Attached: 297180B9-E209-4653-8FDD-A6204FAEFA22.jpg (1000x1000, 151K)

Attached: B4A304DA-354F-4BC5-B293-FB1959DF2B99.jpg (600x600, 82K)

What brand/model are these shoes Danny Brady wears in much of his part in lost and found? It's on the tip of my tongue.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 21.11.41.png (780x536, 392K)

asics

these images are so absurd, yet, strangely enough, the closest thing we have as an identity of a general. kek

No not me. I wish i could bone them out that much

you mean like Cardiel?

What a ripper. That man attacks the concrete jesus

>Justin Brock but 2d and female
Approval

he was also a pro-snowboarder, did you know that? Him and Danny Way.

Here's how it's gonna go down:
>alright, everyone told me to shift my weight forward so I'm gonna do that, here we go!
>OH FUCK I instinctively shifted my weight back and tried to stay vertical and ate shit and looked like a huge IDIOT
>now that I know what that feels like I actually see what everyone meant by shifting my weight forward
>oh, dropping in is actually really easy

As far as step one goes, idk wear a helmet or something if it makes you feel better. Find a plywood ramp.

>thread hasnt slid

Attached: 1478326708317.png (1165x1075, 728K)

Based maidposter

I need this on a board

Attached: dank.jpg (959x1210, 308K)

what are you, irish?

>Who is that?
>Saint Michael

Bros I need some help, I put my old trucks on a new board like, a year ago and haven't done a whole lot with it and then yesterday i went to the skatepark with a friend of mine and one of the fellas at the skatepark wanted to have a go of my board and i handed it to him and he had a look and said I was missing some parts, specifically pic related, like the black washer(?) or something on the trucks, what can I do to fill it in because there's no way in hell I'm gonna be able to find that small black ring and I don't even know how I lost it either. It makes the board extremely loose and I get death wobbles if I go any faster than flat ground pushing. I don't want to shell out for some new trucks right away if I don't have to but I will if I can't put some glue or whatever in there.

These aren't my exact trucks and it's only on one truck

Attached: BU_Truck_150_Silver_Front.jpg (900x450, 40K)

it's not a ring, it's a pivot cup and you need it to have your trucks function like they are supposed to

They're called pivot cups.

Here's a link;
warehouseskateboards.com/pivot-cups

How could I have lost it? Like when you're putting on trucks you don't take apart the whole thing do you? because I don't remember doing anything like that at all

nope if you don't remove the kingpin it doesn't come loose so if you really never touched it this may be a case of an extremely worn out pivot cup so it just tore apart and came off. Never heard of that, must be awful trucks but...
Being cynical did you have those death wobbles before letting that guy use your board? Could've been a bad egg trying to mess with a fellow skater. Or maybe a friend of yours pulled a mean prank on you.
I call it mean because it sounds dangerous to not have a pivot cup but maybe it's a harmless prank. Harmless yet annoying, those pivot cups cost more than a couple of cents I think

Attached: SCHOOLBOOK - SCHULTZ 8.675.png (196x700, 227K)

Nah I had them before that, we didn't trade boards, I handed it to him and he just had a quick look and told me I was missing parts

yeah pretty dope

gonna try some of those on sunday!!!

SAVED from early death.

front blump

Going to the park tomorrow for the first time in like 4 months. I'm going to fucking die, and I can't wait.

Attached: 1489773685659.jpg (750x524, 48K)

Holy fuck did guy slappy down Mt. Everest or some shit?!?

I can't believe the thread is still up, woohoo

Why the fuck isn't there a skate manga/anime

im looking to get into skating. i just need tips.

thx

Watch a tutorial or two for beginner shit
Get skateboard
Get dressed appropriately
Go to area that you would like to skate
Stand on skateboard
Learn2Skate

this, but also just do what tricks inspire you.

A manga would be boring as shit. An anime would be pretty cool but animating it all would be extremely difficult, time consuming and expensive without the use of rotoscoping. The market would probably be VERY niche too. Would be really neat though. I'm not big into manga/anime, but I could see myself digging something like that.

the story would make or break it, plus it's very possible they would make the skaters superhero-like, with unrelatable/unrealistic skateboarding

>5:58

youtube.com/watch?v=ilkdFUKb3EI

Attached: skateslam.jpg (500x500, 157K)

is there love for longboarding or am i a faggot?

Attached: arbl37000_1_1.jpg (520x620, 31K)

what a dogshit longboard. hate longboarders but i can respect the cunts flying down the mountain at 80 kph. that piece of shit you posted looks useless

Can confirm, had a longboard like that 13 years ago and it was terribad. Nose does last long at all. Glad I let a girl try and ride it only to slip out and shoot out toward a truco and get run the fuck over. I got pussy out of it and was rid of a gaymobile. Sometimes god intervenes, my guys.

by dress appropriately this user means put on your wool socks user it's chilly out

You can try to keep talking about it here regardless of hate but for questions you'd have to get lucky that some of us know the answer.

i know theres one from the 80s, theres also a modern one called sk8rs apparently after just looking it up, havent read it myself though.

Attached: 37e3808047553cedb34daa9b1d7ab2a3.jpg (500x667, 95K)

Longboarding is great, it's really fun to just be able to cruise around town without sidewalk cracks, rocks, and twigs even phasing you. You can go long distances, miles on end, without getting as tired on a longboard because you can coast so much longer

Ignore the anti-longboard faggots. That being said, longboards are super easy to ride too so lots of posers use them, that's why they have a bad rap.

stonerplank

generally speaking- longboarding and skateboarding are pretty different, and this is the skateboarding general

however, because of the wrestlefags you're probably best off posting here, but just know you'll get some shit

i bought a longboard when i was in college (~2010) but the community of longboarders in my town was 100% fuckers and stoners. also, since my town was really old with tons of nasty terrain, you couldn't ride the damn things anywhere.

people told me longboards were the best transportation boards but thats bullshit. its way harder to take longboards on a bus, plane, or train, you can't ollie them or kickturn- the only thing they're better at is stability for bombing hills.

i ended up giving away the longboard and buying a 8.5" mellow deck with some bones ATF wheels and had a much better experience, since I was able to ride it around campus

>tfw had a first session in months yesterday
>ollies getting consistent and higher
>rolling off curbs more comfortably
>some tiny-ass one-eight powerslides were had
>nearby campus completely empty at night and guards did not give a fuck about me
I feel like progress is finally coming after stagnation. I just want to grow enough balls to try ollies up a curb. I know I got the height most of the time but I become paralyzed when trying to olie anywhere near an obstacle.

>the only thing they're better at is stability for bombing hills.

This. Longer wheelbases make for big, wide turns which are better at speed. Longboards don't feel awake until they are going downhill.

Attached: skatespic.gif (500x216, 487K)

true fucking grit

the fact he filmed this during a cloudy day, the Venice vibe, this is probably the last part of its era (?)

youtube.com/watch?v=pb0eklk-_CQ

Attached: skatechaos.gif (320x240, 462K)

Yeah it's all fear user. A friend of mine took a video of me trying and I totally cleared it but from fear instead of putting my back foot on the board and being successful you see me already preparing it to land on the ground

Maybe tonight, I actually think I will ollie down a curb sooner than up a curb.

I can't skate in the street without the fear of being fucking side-swiped by a car, it fucking sucks and hinders me

that's something pretty common.If you contemplate it enough eventually you'll get bored of your fear, with the prerequisite that you approach it

>trips of overcoming fear checked
Well, it did not happen tonight. What did happen is that I chipped my first board and am pretty bummed because I will not be able to afford a new one for quite a while so I hope i'm not totally fucked. As far as the good stuff goes I managed some pretty decent manuals and damn it's true that they are easier the faster you go.

oh come on, chipping is not serious, you can still skate that.

*reverts back to page one *

Good, I have no idea about that stuff yet. Didn't feel that much of a difference afterwards.
Reverts scare me.

Gotta get your head and shoulders into the rotation first for them reverts

if it's a busy street keep that fear. You probably wouldn't get hit but imagine a fucking pebble. If it's something else just be aware of cars coming and try to learn how to confidently get off your board quick to go to the sidewalk. That advice is for you while you have fear. I just go to the far left or right and wait for them to pass

Also bend your knees

Hells yeah, had yet another great session. Learned how to roll in on a 6 foot ramp without pussying out, shit is fucking fun!!! Bretty easy desu. I can fakie ollie up and onto 2 ft boxes going straight on now instead of only being able to mount parallel to the box. Fuck the sesh felt good, i'm stoked for the snow to fuck off so I can return to concrete parks. Dived a little bit into round rails today too, still having trouble with the lock... If anybody has tips for round rails i'm all ears.
But more importantly, get out there and shred anons, get the blood pumping.

Attached: giphy.gif (500x288, 271K)

>onto 2 ft boxes going straight on now instead of only being able to mount parallel to the box.

uhmmm...usually mounting parallel to the box is the desired outcome, it as easier for me to turn frontside 90 degrees when ollying onto something when I was beginning.

It's just so I can work my way up to fakie ollies down stair sets. Now that i can pop over shit 2 feet and possibly higher, I feel as though I am prepared to fakie ollie gaps and sets.
Eventually I want to be able to fakie heel down sets.

Attached: PowerfulFabulousLamprey.gif (305x202, 1.24M)

*replies with ba.ku. as well*

Attached: skatebaku.webm (480x360, 505K)

A cultured sophisticate, I see.

Attached: 1514838581041.gif (200x136, 92K)

Sick for a week, haven't skated in two. Feels bad man

Lakai

Rest up homie, happens to the best of us.

Does anyone know what woodshop The Friend Ship use?

just snowboarded for the first time and it's harder than skating tf

I doubt it.
How long have you been skating?

Also, although happy, I'm surprised the thread survived this long.

i'm 28 and ive been skating since i was 12. it's a lot harder to snowboard for sure

No. This can't be. That's impossible.

It's so fun tho, just wait till you're blasting off kickers at 30 mph

Buddy and me got into an argument over whats doper and cooler. He's a boarder and i'm a skater. But when you get right down to it:

Skateboarding:
>bomb any road/hill on the planet
>worst case scenario you lose all your skin and eat shit into traffic/pedestrian and/or get run over by cars
>harder to keep balance downhill

Snowboarding:
>bomb any mountain on the planet
>worst case scenario if you fuck up you fucking die/avalanche/tree wells
>easier to go downhill but you go so fast that if you fuck up it will cost you your life

Snowboarding is fucked. Not down...

you are answering in regard to the risk associated, not the learning curve. Skateboarding can't but be the hardest of them all, although the safest.

Avalanches? Tree wells? Not an issue for 90% of snowboarders out there.

Most chair access runs have little to no avalanche danger. Summit at Jackson's Hole? Ya there's avalanche risk, ski patrol isn't joking when they issue a warning or close a trail at a gnarly, big mountain resorts like that.

My point is most snowboarders have never even gone into a zone with any avalanche risk.

Trees wells are a different story. More skiers and riders get buried and die from tree wells than they do avalanches. Again because most never get into any avalanche zones and trees are pretty common. The snow needs to be deep enough that it covers the lower branches. So again not the average terrain most people are riding.

My brother got trapped in a tree well at Sugarbush in Vermont. Had to climb his way out. That is the only time anyone I personally know has been in danger of being buried. And we were not on a legitimate trail.

why not los dos

Bemp

A wide popsicle deck with big ol' chunky ass soft wheels for commuting - y/n?
I was hoping to use my standard setup but it's just not an option with the kind of sidewalks and roads I have on my route.

It's fucking comfy for just rolling around. Can't do any tricks though, with 60mm 78a ricta clouds I find that even ollies up curbs are too bouncy. I wanna try spitfire 80HD chargers this summer if they would be a bit more manouverable. If not I'll just suck it up and cruise around with 99 duro spitfires, at least I can do tricks

yeah I wasn't planning on doing any tricks, I have my other deck for that. but I have only started not long ago and I'd like to spend more time on the board. hard wheels are pretty limiting in that regard.

youtube.com/watch?v=hVzJUQfMvYA
get this board

god, Nick Boserio is a fucking monster

yeah he's crazy and this video makes me wanna skate so bad

If i'm a complete noob and just getting started, is it worth picking up elbow/kneepads and stuff just so i don't put myself out of action from the very beginning?

I hear the problem with old skaters not being able to skate like they used to is because there knees aren't what they used to be since landing on them when messing up. Get knee pads for sure. For elbow pads I think wrist guards are more likely to be your landing but maybe that depends on the trick. If you know yourself to be a good faller or shitty faller pick how much you wear

Learn to fall but also you can use pads. I stick with wrist pads because I can't mess up my wrists or I'm out of a job and they also protect from more minor stuff like gashes that would annoy me at work

Get kneepads and do this: youtu.be/aSgMDmJdJRg?t=565

Also, learn to fall without falling to your knees. You might want to skateboard without pads eventually. You don't want to have that kneeslide motion hardwired to your muscle memory.

Personally, I highly recommend wristbands and ankle guards are pretty underrated. Everything else is pretty unlikely to be helpful when you're starting out. Full pads and helmet are more useful at higher speed or tranny since you will get into potentially dangerous positions and situations. That's less of a concern early on. You'll be getting shinners more than anything else.

What's happening with the Polar decks? The last two lines have been butt ugly.

what is a tree well?

leeeeeeeel, how did he maintain speed through the grass field, whaaaaaaaaaaa?

lmgtfy.com/?q=tree well

if I wanted to google I wouldn't ask.

You're all complaining about Big Brother but if you have to give up an inch of your convenience you don't even think twice.

you're so lazy you can't even be fucked to figure it out yourself and then somehow manage to blame someone else for it

and I'm asking to find out

you're the lazy one for not replying and instead posting that link

>WOAH YOU TOTALLY GOT US SNOW BRO
fuck off this is why no one likes snowboarders, skiers would never do this to us. fuck you faggot

Tree wells are hollow pockets that form around tree trunks when the snow level gets higher than the lower branches. If it's deep enough the hollow spot becomes a deep pit, similar to an old water well.

Ride to close and the branches act like a trap pit. You fall through and get buried. The more you struggle the more the tree shakes and dumps snow on you.

Wasn't me, bro

Attached: safety_drawing-tree-well.gif (221x161, 8K)

Listen, bubs. My name is Rex and i'm the new kid in the park. You best check yourself, jabroni.

Attached: 5632db3c190000a600b95474.jpg (720x509, 92K)

*skkkrrrrrrtttttttt* FUCK OUT MY WAY YA KOOK

Attached: e13547ffd013d874fbb5945cb39401f1--skateboarding-bull-dog.jpg (236x271, 13K)

skate fast eat ass

Attached: tillman-bulldog-skateboarding-dies.gif (500x275, 1.66M)