What was the first truly soulless Mario game?

What was the first truly soulless Mario game?

Attached: E1B51963-9413-4750-A590-A65841BF1E08.png (189x203, 71.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4KdOcW18KKA
youtu.be/rOCk0jk6SZA
youtu.be/uxvU4u5JHs0
youtu.be/k-kepMsUVT8
youtu.be/ZkbxyPl83yI
youtu.be/ZX5ef_KAZlY
youtu.be/-2la3MlJx3s
youtu.be/vM3EqSf_V_g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Super Mario Advance :^)

Lost Levels

new super mario bros

When they literally started the "Ba ba ba" shit. So fpbp, because although Sunshine started easing it in with bimbo peach and the such, it was still a stellar game that had a ton of atmosphere, skill ceilings and charm.
Galaxy 1 was pretty fucking great, too. Fuck NSMB. SMRPG LotSS is the best Mario, tied with World and 64.

Lufia 2

Attached: t22zdq7htjo11[1].jpg (640x484, 80.9K)

New Super Mario Bros DS. Why? Giant mushroom; once you pick it up it just press right to win due how it trivializes stage design at least it appeared in very few stages.

all stars

The Donkey Kong arcade game. Le Mario was always le shit.

Attached: mario fireball.jpg (600x600, 106.51K)

odyssey

FPBP. Ruined Mario spin-offs for nearly a whole decade and some of them still haven't really recovered.

Attached: NSMBification.jpg (2048x2048, 756.16K)

game is literally ruined

Loved All-stars aesthetic as much as the original.

Is the original New Super Mario Bros on the DS soul or soulless?

New Super Mario Bros but that's not to say that the 3D games became soulless too, they are still great. Though I'd argue that Odyssey has less soul than the rest

>What's your favorite Mario game
>Oh it's 'insert a Mario JRPG here'
Every fucking time. When people ask about a Mario game they mean the platformers nigga

I love how the bottom images are just the same one repeated over and over instead of showing the same locations at the top

She's cute, would bang

>Is the original New Super Mario Bros on the DS soul or soulless?
It's unironically soulful.

By being completely safe to the point of unremarkable despite the solid foundation?

paperjam looked really good visually.

tell me this image isn't soul

Attached: snail.png (570x525, 109.42K)

why did they change mario's iconic music to generic orchestral trash?

The Super Mario All-Stars remakes. Sprites are bad and the OST is a downgrade. I have never in my life considered playing All Stars over the original versions.

World.

It's soul. Soulless started with it's clone games which are all the same and don't even have minigames anymore
Well it's a game for kids and it's not like the big mushroom is always useful and it's also time limited so you won't just beat a level with it

I'm surprised only one person mentioned Sunshine.

>Loli Smithy

Attached: 1647349366653.gif (330x270, 225.01K)

Nigger you best not be talking about Odyssey's OST
I like the weird DS/N64 era synths too but Odyssey's OST is anything but generic

Sunshine's got a great aesthetic and a cool gimmick even if the end result isn't great.
Thankfully, Splatoon put the gimmick into an actually good game.

Sunshine is peak soul.

>thinking any mario games have soul
Are you white?

>Well it's a game for kids and it's not like the big mushroom is always useful and it's also time limited so you won't just beat a level with it
Its existence was part (or reaction) of the 'wow didju see that' trend of the times.

>What was the first truly soulless Mario game?
Every mario game. Mario never had soul. If you think a single Mario game is soulful then commit suicide asap

>If you think a single Mario game is soulful then commit suicide asap
you first faggot
youtu.be/4KdOcW18KKA
youtu.be/rOCk0jk6SZA
youtu.be/uxvU4u5JHs0
youtu.be/k-kepMsUVT8
youtu.be/ZkbxyPl83yI

>you first faggot
>[soulless music]
>[soulless music]
>[soulless music]
>[soulless music]
>[soulless music]

All soulless shit

Attached: DK_bait.webm (1280x720, 358.63K)

>defending mario of all things

Not bait. Soulless orchestra is soulless.
Ask yourself this. If an auteur director had a real choice what kind of music would fit mario?

Not if some musician who feels self-important and has too much of a budget so he can use a totally unfitting orchestra soundtrack which has the most universal appeal and is audience tested and thus is chosen.

Attached: 1640486403567.jpg (360x360, 14.97K)

None of those were Orchestra, though. The first one was big band at best. The only Mario games to use actual Orchestra OST are Galaxy 1 and 2.

The correct answer will always be Lost Levels. That shit was a literal ROMhack meant for people with too much free time and masochistic tendencies instead of being a proper sequel, which is exactly why SMB2USA is a thing.

>literally any of those
>orchestra

Attached: BAIT_(1).png (538x538, 75.95K)

>deltranrune
Kys

Mario Tennis

>which is exactly why SMB2USA is a thing
SMB2USA was a thing because the original was too hard for mutts.

That's basically what I implied with "meant for people with too much free time and masochistic tendencies".

I didn't listen to any of it because I just assumed it was the usual mario galaxy crap
But okay all the other points still stand. Big band doesn't fit mario
Mario's OST does not fit Mario at all. It is all about universal audience soulless appeal.

I think my personal list of the only genuinely soulless, shitty Mario games would be something like
>Lost Levels
>NSMB2
>Yoshi's Island DS (if that counts)
>Yoshi's New Island
>NSMBU (and derivatives)
NSMBWii is aesthetically lame as a slightly worse rehash of NSMB but at least has co-op going for it.
If we count spinoffs, then it probably increases to
>Every Wii U Mario sports game
>Every Mario Party after 8 (Excluding the new one since a lot of care was put into the visuals of the actual stages and content, despite it all, though it's still pretty lame compared to the old ones)
>Mario Golf Super Rush
>Mario Kart 8DX
>Mario Kart Tour
Not going to get into the RPG spinoffs because trying to think about those is fucking exhausting.
>Big band doesn't fit mario
Are you on Crack? Koji Kondo was taking heavy inspiration from Jazz (of which Big Band is a subgenre) as far back as the first game, user. You literally could not get more fitting.
youtu.be/ZX5ef_KAZlY
youtu.be/-2la3MlJx3s
youtu.be/vM3EqSf_V_g

>Koji Kondo was taking heavy inspiration from Jazz (of which Big Band is a subgenre) as far back as the first game, user. You literally could not get more fitting.
Yes the very first mario game is a game I listed as having a soulless soundtrack
It has a "universally appealing soulless audience approved OST"
simple melodies. Nothing any auteur would chose. There you go.

You think it is fitting because soulless fits mario because it always was soulless.

Fucking this, FPBP

It's literally the reason why Mario went full on "muh brand" and became the soulless Mickey Mouse character designed for merch and toys.

nope. You were just a child when nsmb on the ds came out and thats why you feel it has soul. It does not. The NSMB line of games is generic as fuck.

What is the connection between Jazz and Mario? Why is Jazz fitting for Mario?

BWAH BWAH

It's not the game's fault if Nintendo later decided to rehash it multiple times. The game itself was fine.

>universally appealing soulless audience approved OST
Taking inspiration from obscure jazz albums isn't anywhere close to "universally appealing", user, especially at the time the first Mario came off. If anything, Koji opting to take inspiration from his own personal musical tastes rather than the "standard orchestra" you've moved the goalposts away from or the more common tropes of the era (like half of the fucking games coming out of the EU remixing public domain music) puts him closer to being an auteur than anything else.
Mario's original design sensibilities came from the personal tastes of the devs making them. There is no connection to anything, it's just what the devs thought would be neat to do at the time because it was the early 80s and they could practically do whatever the fuck they wanted. If anything, the fact that Mario has endured and formed a consistent and recognizable aesthetic despite being developed from a pastiche of random bullshit a handful of Japanese salarymen thought up in the 80s is impressive and soulful as fuck when handled right.
Hell, Mario himself is pretty fucking far from anything a reasonable marketing firm would call a "design with mass appeal". The dude's a short motherfucker in overalls with a massive nose.

same applies to whatever mario you started with.

don't bring the other NSMB games into this. you know that if this enemy appeared in any other NSMB game, it would just be changed into the Bully from Mario 64. this is the soul snail.

>Mario's original design sensibilities came from the personal tastes of the devs making them.
His music wasn't made by the people responsible for the gameplay
>Hell, Mario himself is pretty fucking far from anything a reasonable marketing firm would call a "design with mass appeal". The dude's a short motherfucker in overalls with a massive nose.
Except the point was to be recognizable with very few pixels.
There was no one who had a vision for a plumber. It was born entirely out of limitations and is thus entirely soulless. Mario is soulless.

New Super Wii was fine on its own, and the four-player co-op was a great addition at the time; the problem was every future game copying that one.
I'd say the first REALLY soulless game is New Super 2.

NSMB wii or sticker star