Is it a masterpiece?

Is it a masterpiece?

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 100.27K)

idk about masterpiece but it's really good
i haven't changed my stance on this and have been on Yea Forums since 2003
it has gone from
>morrowind is amazing
>morrowind is kinda shit actually
>morrowind is amazing
>morrowing is shit and people only like it to be cool

hate Yea Forums worst board

Nah but certainly the best TES
Yeah nu-Yea Forums is just a general disgrace, I mainly go to rpg codex to discuss games these days

Let us just say it is.

Morrowind fans are toxic.

fucking everyone is "toxic" fucking who cares
nah "really good" is where i put it. doesn't hit masterpiece territory for me but it's really damn good

How so?

for sure

Attached: vista.jpg (1712x960, 345.75K)

it's for a different time
Blew people's nips off in 2002 but it's aged. Even with mods.

As Bethesda's best work sure, but God is it depressing that it is

>Blew people's nips off in 2002 but it's aged. Even with mods.
It "aged" far better than Oblivion which doesn't have a mod scene half as active as Morrowind's.

Attached: Morrowind 2022-01-27 14.39.27.006.jpg (3840x2160, 1.08M)

Vvardenfell is boring and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
it's a shame that one of the coolest travel systems is wasted on such a shit map

Everyone calls morrowind the best TES whenever a new one comes out, but the draught is real...

It's a masterpiece of shit

>>morrowing is shit and people only like it to be cool
It's literally one guy posting that in every thread

why are Morrowkeks so insanely obsessed with Oblivion lol
it's actually kind of sad

Attached: 1651735849363.jpg (1024x768, 94.84K)

No.
It's got a considerable amount of problems. To be fair there are solutions for those problems in the game itself, but the issue is that you have no way of knowing that they exist, and very poor to nonexistent indications.

Basically if you can trust it and put up with its bullshit long enough eventually it kind of pays off, but a real masterpiece shouldn't need to.

does Oblivion have ANY redeeming qualities?

Because Oblivion marks a new design approach and with it a decided drop in quality for TES games.

dude they're never making that new one. fucking todd.
yeah could be same guy

The setting and writing is a masterpiece for sure, there's still no other fantasy series that comes close

No TES game comes anywhere close to being a masterpiece, but Morrowind is the best TES game and the only one I'd ever consider replaying.

>i haven't changed my stance on this and have been on Yea Forums since 2003
>He has the nostalgia goggles on
Opinion discarded

oh god no, the guy who can just say "nostalgia" any time the game is old and undermines people's intelligence any time it's about something they disagree with. good thing that faggot discarded my opinion.

>nostalgia
If everyone who tried to type this word on Yea Forums got an instant, unavoidable permaban, absolutely nothing of value would be lost

It bored me to tears the few times I've tried. Having to commute across the bland brown map took its toll after a few hours each time

I played the games in reverse chronological order, stopped at daggerfall cause the first dungeon filtered me
my rating goes 3 > 5 > 4
I wouldn't call any game ever a masterpiece though, there's always something to bitch about in every game and it can always be better

yes

Attached: ukbsjrb65cr21.jpg (2650x1491, 867.28K)

>my rating goes 3 > 5 > 4
Correct

What notable mods are there for Morrowind? I haven't really even heard of anything expect the graphics enchancements and engine reworks. Oblivion and Skyrim mods pop up in conversations all the time.

Fully voiced and animated NPC's. Severely less jank jumping than Morrowind (skating down hills is mostly gone). Gaining influence with NPC's is no longer a 3 choice guessing game (which might not even have a correct choice), it's an actual minigame with a win condition. A journal that actually tracks active quests and files them away when complete. Alchemy plants aren't a fucking container with 1 item inside, you just use them and harvest them with 1 button (morrowind has a mod for this, thankfully... but holy shit was this miserable by default).

All memes aside, Oblivion actually has pretty high QoL by comparison to previous games.

>Gaining influence with NPC's is no longer a 3 choice guessing game (which might not even have a correct choice), it's an actual minigame

Attached: 1532872748731.jpg (625x626, 79.94K)

>What notable mods are there for Morrowind?
In what sense? Graphical? Content? Tech? The game is 20 years old and has one of the largest and most active modding communities to ever exist.

There's no one single all-in-one mod for anything, it's all a game of picking the ones by the authors that do things the way you like it. Though I'd say probably the best actual single content mod I'm aware of is Rise of House Telvanni, and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy is about tied. Both massively expand the endgame faction leadership for Telvanni players with tons of quests, story stuff, and ways to control underlings like an Archmage.

But there's just too many good ones that do small things to really pick out one without any specific criteria.

it's pretty damn close to being one, but i think something like 70% of the nostalgia comes from the music being absolutely outstanding.

You can hate Oblivion's rotating wheel, that's fine, but you can win at it, and you can learn what you're supposed to do. Morrowind's "Praise, Intimidate, Taunt" is shit. I hate it. There's no way to know which is correct, and in fact, all of them might not be.

The speech minigame is not a redeeming quality

It's an improvement over Morrowind, and I won't back down on this.

>Gaining influence with NPC's is no longer a 3 choice guessing game
WHAT it's literally a game in Oblivion, in Morrowind it was dependent on your skill levels

>but i think something like 70% of the nostalgia comes from the music being absolutely outstanding.
You could say that about Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim depending on how old you are

There is ONE thing I like about Oblivion over Morrowind and Skyrim,that it lets you cast spells even when carrying a two-handed weapon.

>There's no way to know which is correct, and in fact, all of them might not be.
There is no "correct". It's a skill check which means it's a dice roll no matter what you do.

>Morrowind's "Praise, Intimidate, Taunt" is shit. I hate it
>There's no way to know which is correct, and in fact, all of them might not be.
The success of them depend on your characters speech skill, they all work the same, it's just flavour.

>admire
you use this when you have high speech skill and don't bother otherwise
>intimidate
you use this when you're much higher level and don't bother otherwise
>taunt
you spam this a million times to make someone attack you without getting a bounty
>bribe
you use this when admire won't work

what's not to understand?

it's obscene and I'm baffled that anyone could (pretend) to defend it, even if it's just for (You)s

you didn't play Morrowind then?

>a journal
>that doesn't function as a journal
truly the beginning of the end

>it lets you cast spells even when carrying a two-handed weapon.
You can literally quick-slot any spell you want, but also you can just press the key to ready spells no matter what weapon you're holding, and then click to cast.

No, it's p shit.

>actually having to get down and investigate if fauna has ingredients is le bad
mc chicken kill yourself

It wasn't shit until Skyrim which did away with all the flavor text. But something to actually keep track of active quests is nice unless you want to keep a fucking notebook next to your computer in addition to the game's notes.

here's some better bait than the speech system
>just attacking the chest with a lockpick? that's fucking shit
>the lockpicking minigame though? you can win at it and that's what you're supposed to do. it's good.

You don't have to guess at all. Admire to raise disposition, intimidate to scare them from fighting you, and taunt to lower disposition and get them to fight you

There was no Yea Forums in 2003 in any . By Christmas there were a few hundred people posting here and you weren't one of them. Moot was a kid then too, opening his first forum.

>But something to actually keep track of active quests
Morrowind has that though

It is. The container UI is shit if said container could only even have 1 item in it in the first place. Enjoy your self-imposed inconvenience because you think it should be hard to tell if you picked a fucking mushroom or not.

Morrowind's journal is literally just that, it's a place where you keep notes about things that people say to you in the game.

It's not a magic quest tracker machine. It's a place to read some notes and directions.

the only way it could be problematic is if you keep taking on quests and not completing them, unironically git gud

Attached: gatekeeping.png (300x436, 297.11K)

Praise is harder to pull off, but has permanent relation bonuses if you succeed
Intimidate raises relation, but is more likely to succeed based on how much higher your level is than the target
Taunt just straight lowers relation, and if you succeed, has a chance for them to attack you. Meaning you can now kill them in self defense.

There's no game to figure out there, it just depends on your goals.

there's sometimes more than one, not like it matters you're just fucking lazy and want all these gameisms in lieu of immersion

I will say that I don't actually mind the Skyrim/Fallout lockpick system. Yeah, it's slow and kind of a waste of time, but I think it's just on that line between tedious and immersive, plus they have the auto-attempt button.

I do, however, think that it should have trap picking like Morrowind. Also, I wish traps and lock levels were hidden, which you can do in the Morrowind patch.

This is how you fucking start a morrowind thread? How old are you?

no shit sherlock, Morrowind has a journal that's a fucking journal

You're still technically readying/unreadying your weapon. It's an incredibly minor difference but I still appreciated it.

I choose better UI when better UI is available. You aren't better just because you willingly subject yourself to shit, inconvenient, poorly considered design. If you think presentation doesn't matter, you should stick to pen and paper adventures, not video games.

It's alright

Sure, but it's not an action game where you're going to be quick-chaining spells and sword swings and whatnot, so having to press a key to toggle between weapon and spell ready doesn't really slow anything down.

>I choose better UI when better UI is available
no TES game has better UI than Morrowind

Attached: ui.jpg (1920x1010, 595.59K)

Yeah because it was designed for PC
Oblivion had a horrendous UI for consoles
Skyrim works, but it's soulless

This is in regards to harvesting plants, and treating them like a fucking chest with 10 different slots when only the first will ever have contents in it.

so just get the mod nigga it takes 2 seconds

Install Graphic Herbalism

>You aren't better just because
oh can it you lazy bum, you don't understand the importance of entering into fauna to gather ingredients

I think he means UX, not UI, as he's referring to having to pause the game to check the container that is a plant. Yes, there's a UI element there, but it's not really talking about the UI itself.

Morrowind's UI is so intuitive and good that it actually is scary. Not only is everything in the menus clean, clear, and scalable to any size, but holy fuck can we get some praise for the absurdly minimalist in-game HUD? When have you ever seen an RPG with the balls to put a few tiny bars and icons in the bottom corner of the screen and fucking NOTHING else?