Digimon

Why didn't pop off just as hard as Pokemon?

Attached: digifriday-mega-digivolution.jpg (500x622, 78.72K)

The games suck.

the designs are way too tryhard

The theme song sucked

Same reason none of the other monster catching/raising franchies took off as hard; because they didn't have Nintendo bankrolling an absurdly huge marketing campaign at the height of monster-raising popularity.

Attached: 1632591658438.jpg (710x779, 113.01K)

Pokemon managed to get popular first and it was a losing battle from that point on.

>games suck
>only 1 good anime season
>Girls aren't as cute as Pokemons
>Creatures are way harder to draw the pokemons

Pokemom had GBA games which were pretty popular

what i'd give to see a cocky charizard become greymon's personal throne

Digimons are mostly pure nonsense with large amounts of powerwank (look at Zeedmilleniummon for example) making them unappealing

Is there any actual way to become more popular?
Branding alone makes it seem impossible.

Digimon World 1 on the ps1 is fucking great though

A decade before I was even aware of what NTR was I got majorly pissed about all the NTR shit in the cartoon. Can’t imagine I was alone.

Ignore inevitable shitposting, post ur bro

Wait fuck, forgot the pic

Attached: 19A5AA4A-65F1-4628-A0F6-586F8CC9F780.jpg (720x720, 227.37K)

I'm sure there is. But when most people rip off pokemon they seem to go into one of 2 extremes
>try to hard to please the hardcore competitive fans of pokemon making the game niche
>Monsters in them look like dogshit or reskinned pokemon
Its pretty hard to nail the casual appeal of the series

No, and it's not really a branding issue either. With SO FUCKING MANY pokemon to pick from and like it's unlikely any sort of monster raising game will take off because as much as weenies try to pretend it's all about the competition of pokemon muh balance
Pokemon's entire appeal is finding your cool pal out of the collection, and doing friend things. Which incidentally is killing gamefreak now because it's so fucking hard to get people to give a shit and why pokemon after the first 2 VIOLENTLY rocketed off the rails with scale of importance creep.

No its really not. It's a clunky and broken piece of shit.
We've already had this discussion and the answer was lack of consistency in its properties, over complicating it's anime and designs, and mismanagement from Bandai. Move on already

their designs aren't as good, the games aren't nearly as good, the marketing for the series is garbage, the fanbase is viciously protective and will defend it to the death so they never realize when they make mistakes (seriously how can you be worse than pokemon fans for this?) and the human characters and designs don't have even 1/10th of the soul of pokemon.

Also this is a personal one; they hit a weird uncanny valley for characterization of digimon. Pokemon are expressly animals, smater than real life sure but still animal companions. Digimon are basically sentient and people, but have garbage characterization that not even B listers in a real RPG would be resigned to. They went full half-ass where they refused to make them real and likable characters but didn't commit to them being animals so its just weird and the worst of both worlds.

Oh, and pokemon lets you carry around an army of different mons while digimon confines you to 1 or 3 depending. Way more limiting for team building, which is the heart and soul of monster collecting games. That's a big fucking L for them.

Digimon is too inconsistent. The gameplay, lore, and even the evolution trees change with every new entry.

Because the card game didn't catch on, while everything else was better including the shows and movies. Issue is that all the games are digimon copies of other games. They're still good, but they're just smash and persona with a property people don't care about.

Normies just see worse pokemon, when it does more with it's property than just being the same shit. Except Tekken Pokemon kinda.

I think the word killing is a little overblown in that sentence but I do agree that the amount of Mons GM has to make appealing is probably getting harder and harder.

DIGIMON, DIGITAL MONSTERS

DIGIMON GUARD THE TRUCK JEWELS

Not anymore. The only chance anyone had was when they were all starting out. Pokemon is far too ingrained into the public conciousness as "THE pet monster game" at this point.
For something to actually get more popular would require something to not just get big enough by itself, but for Pokemon to fuck up so colossally hard that a big chunk of their cashcows give up on it. It needs that perfect storm, or the new hotness will eventually fall off while Pokemon keeps trucking as it always has.

I liked the series where the people fused with the digimon, that was cool and interesting

Brainlet detected.

Nonce

I remember that joke in Rango.

It’s an old joke zoomer

The branding was all over the place.

Anime
>All pretty good until digimon 4, suddenly the i'ts not an isekai or a shonen, it's now a sentai show
Games
>You liked the first digimon world game kiddo? Well, guess what, we're changing everything for World 2 and no, we're not creating a new name for this new kind of game. What? You didn't like that, well there's now another change for 3, enjoy!
>Ryo games
You want to know what happened to Ryo from the anime, but dont live in Japan, well fuck off burger kid because we're not porting the games to the gameboy or any other platform.

>designs are wildly inconsistent and almost always far too overdesigned
>type system feels like an afterthought and not as interesting as Pokemon
>games are wildly inconsistent from one to the other
>evolution is overly complicated. Pokemon you know exactly what you’re getting. Digimon you can end up having your bro turn into some retarded pile of shit because you did something wrong and didn’t even realize
Digimon is cool but it’s over bloated and has no idea what it wants to be

???? How does it make me a nonce?

>overdesigned
Meaningless when you’re talking about the style itself, that’s a word you can only use when some detail disagrees with its own internal style/logic.

That’s a cool mon. Is it in any of the games? For me it’s Devimon

best mamemon

Attached: MameTyramon.png (700x653, 326.1K)

No. Wait for the digimon X2 to finally come out, it's in that.

Can people stop acting like Digimon is some dying franchise? It's number two behind Pokemon and that's not bad at all. It's has plenty still going for it, they just need to work on how they develop their games.

>number 2
In what regard?

It's not, but it certainly dropped in popularity around 2004.
Cybersleuth and digimon tri kinda revived the hype for the franchise

You’d think Digimon would try to get Pokemon fans who were alienated by how cutscene heavy and hand-holdy nu-gens are. But no, Cyber Sluts is a terrible visual novel that has way more textdumps.

Their early games were for autistic kids who continued to be autistic til the day they die and their current stuff are chasing whatever to see what works, at least they are still trying and not just stopping like the .hack series

DUDE, KNOW THAT COOL DIGIMON FROM THE SHOW? TOO FUCKING BAD YOU FUCKED UP LIKE 10 HOURS AGO SO NOW HAVE A PIECE OF SHIT!

>Dull naming convention that just serves to confuse outsiders (did literally every single Digimon name have to have end with -mon, like, we already know it's a fucking Digimon, shut up)
>Overdesigned monsters without much thought put into how visually appealing they are
>Doesn't seem to know what demographic it tries to target with the series, inconsistent tones all around the block
And most importantly
>The games are nowhere near as good and easy to get into as the Pokémon games

The anime was pretty dope, though.

Popularity and putting out games.

In the monster catching game series? No of the top of my head I can think of
>SMT
>Persona
>Bakugan
>whatever layer 5 where doing

The answer is extremely poor decisions in terms of international distribution. Bandai's decisions in how they chose to expand Digimon globally were all fucking awful and destroyed any hope the series had of getting anywhere near Pokemon's scale. Where Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures made all the right business decisions, Bandai made all the wrong ones.

monsters where just too autistic looking.

Digimon never would have surpassed pokemon's popularity and success, but it could have kept going strong in the west had Frontier not completely thrown out the idea of monster companions and effectively killed all interest in the series in the west.

Because if I want adult Pokémon I’ll just play SMT

Dont forget just how random all the designs are. Like very few of them have any real theming or relation to real-life lore

No. It's not Frontier's fault. You were severely oversimplying everything that went wrong with the brand. It's not just "oh this anime sucks" or "this game sucks", that's not what hurt Digimon the most.

Did you know that a large number of Digimon games from the late 90s and early 00s never made it to the west? You know why? Because they were on the fucking Wonderswan, a system that was never distributed outside of Asia.
Did you know that the Digimon TCG was COMPLETELY FUCKING NEUTERED in the west?
This shit's only a small part of the large number of retarded business decisions made throughout Digimon's lifespan.

I mean for fuck's sake why in the hell would you hand over all control over the IP in North America and Europe to fucking Saban? Compare to Pokemon. Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures NEVER gave an ounce of control over the brand to 4Kids. That's why 4Kids couldn't just arbitrarily change names the way they did for Yu-Gi-Oh!. 4Kids had a huge amount of control over western Yu-Gi-Oh!, but they were wholly beholden to Nintendo in regards to branding. This is something Bandai should have done for Digimon, but they fucking didn't.

Really bad picture. If you consider Charmander a Rookie stage like Agumon, then going up to Mega Charizard would be a Mega level equivalent to Digimon, while Greymon is a Champion level: a whole two levels lower than Mega. This image sucks and is awful.

Attached: rapidmon__golden_armor_digi_egg__by_taragraphic_de3ltj4-pre.jpg (794x1006, 95.29K)

It doesn't, that other user is a retard and probably goes out of her way to use the Jap terms

It's been immensely popular since the 20th anniversary and recent card game.

my dude, I realize this is literally three decades too late for you but "mon" is the file extension, like .exe or .doc. That's why they all end in it.

Of all things to complain about, it's that they have -mon at the end of their names? Jesus christ.

He deserves an Ultimate.

Attached: diatrymon.png (320x320, 111.66K)

>the top of my head
>my head
Bruhh

Attached: FSA7EIMXEAAW5bj.jpeg.jpg (1662x900, 1.3M)

>1 good anime season
bad taste nigger

>Evolution stage names are confusing (and also lead to retarded autistic babble like )
>"Baby II" is redundant and an awkward leftover
>Some Digimon have thematically and visually consistent evolution lines, some don't, and the argument "it's because they're data" doesn't hold up for most people
>English Localization changed a fuckton for no reason, not just in the anime, but even changing the evolution stages around and inventing terms like Digivolve
>Anime wildly varies in quality and is also the main focus/output of the series which is harder for people to get into than vidya (the other focus is in the vpets which are niche as fuck outside of Asia)
>Games aren't consistently good, and now aren't even consistently released
>Series can't stop jerking off Adventure, somehow worse than Pokemon's Kanto obsession
>Series also can't determine if it wants to be oriented towards an older audience or babies and constantly has a bipolar tone because of it

I could go on but there's really no point. It'll never be as big as Pokemon, but pretending it isn't successful is stupid.

Attached: 1646226414203.png (207x119, 34.35K)

I want to see them fuck

Attached: 1632506899886.jpg (640x480, 35.02K)

Pic related and also

Attached: bandai-figure-rise-standard-digimon-adventure-magnamon-model-kit-figure.jpg (1440x1440, 604.75K)

Momentai

Attached: 1650611455324m.jpg (993x1024, 46.21K)

You will never be Japanese

massively inconsistent quality all across the franchise
and even then none of the games are particularly really good, the best are really just good as digimon games

What the fuck does that have to do with literally anything stated you retard?

He's just a shitpost. I like shitposts

Attached: Omekamon_b.jpg (320x320, 100.74K)

immensely is a bit much
card game is doing pretty damn good though I will say

Because digimon fucking sucks. a few great anime because talented staff tried really hard on a silly kids show doesn't make up for the fact that literally every single digimon game is a 6/10 at best outside of the original digimon world, which is one of the most janky and bug filled games ever released even if it has a lot of reasons to like it

One is a merchandise franchise
The other is a media franchise

You're a JP terms fag, opinion discarded :)

Pokemon is both user. In fact Media and Merchandise are what drive sales of both franchises

You mean the game that even no, to this day, people still can't figure out how the digvolution system works?

It was Tai being cucked by Matt and debatably Davis being cucked by TK right? (I say "debatably" because I think people already assumed TK and (Hi)Kari would be a pair before Davis even existed as a character)

Digivolve was adapted in italian as well IIRC. BTW if you're a fan, check out the italian openings, they're fucking great.

What's a good game to get into Digimon

Attached: 1606512348016.jpg (604x453, 51.21K)