How do we save XCom?

How do we save XCom?

Attached: XCOM2_Set_Up_Assets_2560x1440_2560x1440-24cabf9f3c4eedd602a340a4658b2278.jpg (2560x1440, 1.97M)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/1357372/Phoenix_Point__Festering_Skies_DLC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can't, it's too late.

Release XCOM 3

What was wrong with 2?

What are some good tactical games with permadeath units?

What I don't like about nuXcom is:
>units being not expendable enough. if you play well, they'll hardly ever die, and high level soldiers with good stats and equipment NEVER die
I want to throw units into a meat grinder and eventually get some that grow powerful enough that they become valuable assets, yet are always on the risk of dying so I need to be careful when to employ them
>game has a long campaign with "snowball" difficulty and possibility of losing it many hours in (specially in Long War mods)
I want a game where the difficulty curve is consistent and it doesn't get you often on the extremes of "too easy" or "too hard" because of feedback loop mechanics.
Also, if there's the possibility of losing for good, it at least needs to embrace a more roguelike-y aspect where it cuts all the filler BS and doesn't make the whole game a long, linear campaign

Are there any games that fit these descriptions?

Attached: CjcQBE6_d.jpg (362x346, 35.24K)

Kenshi

I forgot to mention I prefer turn-based combat. But I'll check Kenshi out. I didn't know it was squad/party based.

Make a sequel to The Bureau.

I loathe turn based xcom is as close as I get
Good luck on your search hope you find something fun

I'm glad chimera squad isn't a mainline entry and could easily be handwaved away. Aliens in your squad is fine, it's the next step. Them simping over women and cripples us not, jesus fucking christ.

Attached: index.jpg (248x203, 7.33K)

I couldn't keep doing the missions bros.

Xcom2 is the GOAT and Valkyria Chronicles 4 is number 2. Everything else is trash.

Attached: PHOENIXPOINTcoverart.jpg (300x400, 34.17K)

Call Carmack to fix the memory leaks.

its called xpiratez

what's the best mod for the original xcom?

Turn it into a 3rd person horror game

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU RETARDED FUCKING FAT FUCK, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Attached: 5304810341.jpg (573x415, 30.8K)

Remove vipers.
fix the timers
optimize the performance.
that's all i want, really.

It's an open world game with the potential for as many "parties" as you want. The location of all your dudes is tracked and they're able to be swapped to at any time.

just started playing xcom enemy unkown
how the fuck do i get good and stop dying?
im playing on classic difficulty

Remake XCOM 2, but actually let us play the bad guys like you teased instead of making the aliens so fucking cartoonishly evil

Attached: 1445158312021.png (2052x2496, 2.39M)

3D xpiratez

>humans
>bad guys

idk why they had the need to make a woke version of x-com when the games already is full of nigger and women and nobody every gave a fuck or complained about it. it just makes shit feel force

satellites motherfucker

Darkest Dungeon if somehow you haven't played it yet. Your highest level characters can easily still die in late game areas to the point where it's a pain in the ass to constantly level up new people to stand a chance

never could understand the appeal of DD, it’s just a RNG fest and i never know where to go next

Is it that bad? A buddy actually streamed it for me a bit today to show it, the locational damage and auto pausing movement on spotting enemies seem like pretty nice improvements. Reviews seem kinda mid and complain about the metagame and difficulty curve a lot

DD was something close to what I was thinking. However the game isn't really good. Permadeath doesn't really do anything there because it just sets you back a few hours of grind. The game is sadly very bland with little variety.

Always go into full cover if you can help it.
Never reveal the fog of war if any of your units have used up any actions.
Don't take risky actions unless you know for a fact that you will succeed.
In the early game, explosives are your best friend. Don't listen to science when they bitch about you blowing up resources, fuck 'em, your soldiers are more valuable than shiny trinkets.

more snakes

use the first move of everyone in your team to push into a direction
if no alien sighted, set everyone to overwatch
if alien sighted, see which ones you can kill with the rest of the moves you got. use grenades to blow their cover and deal guaranteed damage. check routes you can use to threaten to flank them

it's easy

eh it's a lot like xcom in that it's more about mitigating the rng by planning around it. For the most part you won't get 1hko'd by a random crit outside the titular darkest dungeon area at the end and they rarely totally swing a fight in your favor. If you prioritize the right targets and have a decent stress/hp healer it's quite manageable. That said, like mentioned, it's not super deep and can get pretty samey once you've figure out the row switching combat.

Although I would ask what games have permadeath that functions differently than setting you back a few hours? I guess ones with more customization to get invested in your characters but that applies to anything if you're autistic enough

Learn how to compress files and optimise the game. That'll fix it.

This. what the fuck is their problem?

XCom's death is a big deal as you'll have to rethink your strategy for missions until you get to train a replacement soldier. DD's entire pace is dictated by the player so it doesn't matter much.

Ufo defense with openxcom final mod pack

you just keep doing fucking missions but you don't make progress. its soulless. i was really excited to try it too man

No no, he's onto something. SWAT 4 but it's X-COM is a million-dollar idea.

Attached: 1645799828961.jpg (301x291, 15.38K)

What about xenonauts?

No idea why they would go for a marvel game years after endgame. Plus random cards for actions, although mg ac!d was great

>oh yeah, THAT happened

Attached: Phoenix_Point_cover_art.jpg (273x364, 21.78K)

Holy fuck I completely forgot about The Bureau. What the fuck were they thinking?

The AI checks rolls and does stupid shit that makes no sense sometimes
>have guy flanked in absolutely no cover right next to an ayy
>have guy in full cover and various defensive bonuses
>ayyy decides to ignore the flanked guy and crit the guy in full cover
Also, pods suck and basically force you to turtle the entire game so that you don't activate one towards the end of your. This one is easily fixed by just giving each of your squad members and extra reactionary move whenver you activate a pod.

>we want the mass effect audience

get out

Doesn't long war of the chosen work around this by making pods smaller and more numerous while having extra squad members?
Chaos gate gives full AP refund to your knights when you encounter a pod, but you only have 4 knights, which is that game's biggest flaw

the creator of the original managed to make a game more souless than nu xcom.

>Doesn't long war of the chosen work around this by making pods smaller and more numerous while having extra squad members?
Maybe it makes activating pods mid turn less dangerous but it still doesn't change the fact that turtling is the optimal way to play which is just slow and tedious.
>move each unit within 1 action point while revealing as little of the map as possible
>set everyone to overwatch with the remaining action point
>rinse and repeat until you finally run into something or a pod activates your entire squads overwatch and half of them are already dead before the fight even begins

>This one is easily fixed by just giving each of your squad members and extra reactionary move whenver you activate a pod
turtling would still be better
>overwatch spam
>enemies get shot at while not in cover
>their turn ends
>you get full turn
vs
>blue move
>find ayys
>move refreshes
>you get full turn

Probably their publisher's making them do it

Every mission should unironically be timed.

Ditch hit chances, make it guaranteed with ways to modify the damage taken. UFO Defense got away with hit chances because you could drag in a lot more soldiers during a mission, but you can't get away with hit chances when you drag 4 because they are too important for success. Having 6 units also makes the game too easy.
Tone down the enemy effects, the difference between EW and 2 is staggering. 2 immediately starts off with the aliens being able to inflict debilitating psi attacks, psi for your units breaks the game's balance in two. It's like they were planning to do superhero action games before they were actually forced to do it.
Flatten the difficulty curve, early game is tediously hard and late game is too easy. Snipers trivialize the game, grenades are mandatory.
Never do mission timers again outside of certain circumstances, I wouldn't mind the loss of concealment because it's a janky piece of shit that's only good for alpha striking one enemy pod. You don't even get the time to properly scout out the place.
If an alien pod is discovered every squad member in sight who is flanked or not in cover gets one move-only action. And an achievement for discovering another pod with that move-only action.
Rangers are shit and their only usefulness comes from being able to fight off most melee attackers, their high-risk high-reward playstyle needs to be emphasized because you're either dragging them into close range with a shotgun or in melee range with the enemy, but there's not many options to guarantee the ranger's survival without support tools.
>captcha: 40K8W

Attached: 2152151800-.jpg (439x607, 52.23K)

by returning to xcom
pods were a mistake

Attached: 1641189828114.jpg (602x366, 60.9K)

any similar kino to the original, aside from xenonauts?

openxcom mods, just pick your poison

More sneks
And sexy fishs

Phoenix point is way better now… but why did they abandon the horror vibe? Like the pre-alpha was John carpenter shit, and it was amazing.

Mechanicus could be what you want as long as you play on the hardest difficulty and never save scum, otherwise all the difficulty is trivialised

Phoenix Point is a sad case because most people were already too used to XCOM 2, so when it rolls around with the budget of an indie game it performs far less and whenever there's a mechanic in PP that people don't like they're quick to compare it to how XCOM 2 did this and that better, and the one time PP added mechanics from the new XCOM games it ended up very poorly fitting the game store.steampowered.com/app/1357372/Phoenix_Point__Festering_Skies_DLC and the complaints about the other DLCs boil down to awful-to-fight enemy units and ridiculously difficult missions.

It was too hard and filtered the retards

It's not Enemy Within and it's stupider.
>Firaxis fucked up XCOM by making 2 and Chimera Squad
>Firaxis fucked up Civilization by making Beyond Earth and 6

Attached: 0-7--9.jpg (1000x1000, 462.55K)

no dude, the problem of phoenix point is that it combined worst elements of both classic xcom design and firaxis modern xcom design and we got a sloppy mess that appeals to nobody, phoenix point deserves every bit of hate it gets