Comfy Sega Saturn thread

have you played yours recently? Better do so before Segata Sanshiro tracks you down. I did some Night Striker S and Kingdom Grand Prix over the weekend.

Attached: 1323514942852.jpg (704x400, 38.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2QAaHlwghes
dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8453
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: sbs.png (1410x1297, 2.08M)

I could, but I'm honestly curious if anyone on nu-Yea Forums plays Saturn stuff.

I had the day off yesterday, and I spent it playing Saturn and Dreamcast. Sega Rally and Virtual-On were what I played on Saturn.

>Virtual-On
Based.
I wish the more recent one on PS4 had offline multiplayer. The online-only trend is a cancer. I got some fond memories of playing split-screen Virtual-On with some bros back in the late 90's.

nobody wanted to touch the saturn then
and it did not get any better since

Sad!

Attached: Segata Sanshiro fanart.jpg (1024x768, 820.15K)

I've been fucking around with this lately.

Attached: Princess Crown-01.jpg (1400x1400, 867.8K)

Is this enjoyable without knowing much Japanese?

Attached: 1249050977314.jpg (1280x960, 305.73K)

I'm plodding my way through Ronde occasionally, but I really need to get a save pak before my console's battery dies again. How reliable are the currently produced action replay plus carts?

Wish I could answer that, but I got my 4-in-1 years ago so I dunno what's up with the more recent carts.

Attached: Segata Sanshiro Shinkenyugi.jpg (1000x991, 123.44K)

It's an RPG. I would say probably not. Maybe there's a translation? I've never looked.

Yeah, I'd probably need to emulate it with an English patch if it exists.

Did anyone else notice this?

Attached: treasure logo.png (704x448, 23.21K)

No worries. The recent reviews look pretty good, so I might take the plunge. I'd rather risk the $40 and get 4 carts in one than muck about with 30 year old RAM carts and save carts.

Yeah, makes sense. I hope that works out for you.

Attached: 3601166.jpg (410x480, 50.49K)

nice

they deserved a better editor than sega

In the same vein of Saturn Hardware, is the 3D controller worth picking up? I love the standard controller but I've never tried any of the more action-oriented games with it.

I just use mine for Panzer Dragoon Zwei & Saga, and NiGHTS. Also, if you plan on playing Zwei with one:
>if you turn off the Berserk action on the X button this bug should stop occurring. Good to know.
Otherwise Berserk mode will go off randomly.

(greentext taken from a thread on gamefaqs about the issue)
Just wanted to post that here since it took me a while to figure that shit out.

Attached: 3343798.jpg (1250x872, 422.1K)

Thanks for the tip user. I'd like to pick up the PD games eventually so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I've played the Saturn version of Sonic 3D, Croc and also Sonic 1 on Sonic Jam this year. Got Shinobi X a little while back which is fun. Feel like replaying Tomb Raider so might try the Saturn version.

Attached: 1647816230908.gif (192x144, 459.28K)

PD1 was designed around the D-pad, so you won't have any difference using the analog function, but Zwei and Saga were designed around analog movement. (still playable with a regular controller, just not as fluidly) Good luck finding PD games for sane prices. Also, unpopular opinion: PD1 remake > the original game.

>Good luck finding PD games for sane prices.
I've got a JP Saturn thankfully. 1 and 2 are around $40 each and Saga looks like it's $60 right now. There's no way in hell I'm gonna pay US prices lmao

played panzer dragon saga for the first time last month. i was blown away at how well it held up. i'm surprised more games didn't try to use that combat system because it was very fun even if it's a bit easy.

Yeah, imports of 5th gen games are generally cheaper unless they've never been released outside of Japan.

Attached: 727697.jpg (800x800, 115.98K)

I loved Saga's combat. It was like FF with the ATB but with positioning to spice things up.

Attached: 1445287.jpg (787x595, 74.89K)

the positioning added a lot of extra depth to it and made the battles much more engaging and fun, so i loved it. it nailed the adventure feel perfectly too, it reminded me of skies of arcadia in that regard. it's a shame skies didn't use saga's combat for the ship battles.

>Feel like replaying Tomb Raider so might try the Saturn version.
You really shouldn't

Favorite area? Mine was the underwater tunnels at Uru. That music, man.

Attached: panzer_dragoon_azel_saga_wall_figure_sega_saturn_by_happnes-d4hrapx.jpg (900x1283, 293.37K)

Also, what'd you name your dragon? I named him Lagi, after the one in Zwei.

Attached: 1269164329986.jpg (704x448, 52.82K)

i liked uru, both above and underground. the underground section was neat because not having the dragon was an interesting change of pace and i wasn't expecting that to happen. the ruins had the best layout of all the dungeons so i enjoyed exploring them and the encounters with the flower enemies were neat. i was surprised that they had enemies that required some form of strategy to beat effectively without killing yourself and it reminded me of the flowers from phantasy star online.. but i liked the sequence above ground with the protect keys too.

oh the different dragon types effecting combat was an awesome touch too, the game was really ahead of its time.

agni

>the different dragon types effecting combat was an awesome touch too
Fuck yes, it was.
>spoiler text
Yeah, I liked the not having a dragon section, even though there was no EXP it was good for getting a bunch of free items.
>agni
Any reason? Genuinely curious, not everyday I get to ask someone what they named their dragon in Saga.

YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!

Attached: de4bxeq-34f5d29d-86f2-48fa-b31a-bea2a4eb01b2.gif (200x300, 97.17K)

>Any reason?
i just wanted a fire related name and it's one of the first ones that came to mind. i've seen it used in other games like pso and breath of fire so i went with it on a whim.

That makes sense.

Is it worth getting an analog controller for NiGHTS? I heard all future ports are based off the PS2 version, which only had 8 way digital controls.

>Is it worth getting an analog controller for NiGHTS?
Yes.
>all future ports are based off the PS2 version, which only had 8 way digital controls.
That's gay.

Get it because it's the best retro controller ever. I don't like NiGHTs but love the controller.

It's super comfy, sort of like a Dreamcast controller but with an actually good D-pad.

Attached: thumb_you-must-play-sega-saturn-you-must-play-sega-saturn-53968674.png (300x201, 39.04K)

Well, it was a nice thread while it lasted. Thanks, anons.

Attached: 1269084651456.jpg (1500x1000, 428.88K)

Disregard , someone bumped it. Thanks,

Attached: panzer-dragoon-saga-cd-change-screen-3.jpg (704x448, 87.03K)

Saturn threads are few and far between so I couldn't help but keep it alive.
Favorite models? I love the deep blue buttons of the standard model 1, but the transparent shell of the TiC models always grabs my attention.

Attached: sega-saturn-skeleton-this-is-cool-1588040793-99.jpg (1920x1920, 398.27K)

I just have the model 2 (I think? The one with circular buttons instead of ovals), still pretty cozy to me.

Attached: 2362897.jpg (575x800, 228.57K)

That's what I've got too, one of the off-white Japanese models. It pairs really well with my Dreamcast even if the shade's a little different.

Mine's just a black U.S. model. Never had a reason to get the (better-looking) Jp model since I have a 4-in-1.

I probably would've gotten a US model instead if I'd known about those carts at the time, but I've been happy with mine. Now I just need to start buying games for it again...

Attached: IMG_20220404_124428~2.jpg (2658x3385, 2.04M)

>Now I just need to start buying games for it again...
I'd recommend Soukyugurentai if you like shmups.

I still like to play my copy of Primal Rage. Best version, ya know.

I haven't played too many shmups, but the gameplay and visuals look really nice. Thanks for the recommendation user.
In turn, I'll recommend Steamgear Mash.

Attached: Sega_Saturn_SteamGear_Mash_cover_art[1].jpg (316x316, 38.51K)

I'm not normally a fan of isometric games, but it looks pretty charming, and surprisingly cheap. Might need to pick it up, thanks.
Also, if you ever happen to get Galactic Attack/ Layer Section: If you put the disc in your PC, you can rip the soundtrack.

. here, also works with Darius Gaiden. (I just popped it into my PC out of curiosity) Which is great because the OST for that game fucking slaps.

gg, thread. You made it for a while.

Attached: Lagi.jpg (651x557, 89.74K)

3 hours is pretty impressive for a Saturn thread on Yea Forums.

Attached: 1643575089635.gif (478x324, 933.02K)

What's that gif from?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner.
JP only and there's no translation patch unfortunately, but it's a good JRPG. One of my favorites in the SMT series.
youtube.com/watch?v=2QAaHlwghes

I wish I got into Saturn a couple years back. I didn't like the idea of getting imports for games that got official releases in the West and that's what kept me away from the idea. I really wanted to get NA region games but that's just not feasible. Now I don't care, I just want to play these games. Thankfully a ton of the JP region games are still pretty cheap, although not as cheap as they were years back

In the same vein, I wish I'd bought more. Prices haven't gone up that dramatically for most JP games, but shipping has been the big killer for me.
Used to be that I could buy like 7-8 famicom games or 2-3 disk games and they'd all combine for $10 shipping (or $5 if I just bought one or two). Now the same stores I used to buy from are asking almost $20 in shipping for a single cartridge. It's not insanely expensive, but it sucks that it's gone up so much.

Attached: smb3.png (1158x594, 418.52K)

Yeah, scalpers really ruined that market. Ever since the first wave of stimmy checks hit, they figured "Well, people CAN afford them due to having disposable income, so let's raise the prices for everything."

>Ever since the first wave of stimmy checks hit
Oh god, don't remind me. I was thinking about getting a 64DD at the time and I watched them go from $800 to $1500 in real time.

Boy. Fuck scalpers.

I'd recommend Saturn Bomberman if you have some IRL friends, extra controllers, and a multitap. Jap version (roughly $50), since the US price is absolutely ludicrous for a fucking Bomberman game.

>IRL friends
Don't got those unfortunately. Interestingly enough, it looks like someone managed to get the online working again for both versions.
dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8453