Was he right?

Was he right?

Attached: 1.png (717x359, 43.36K)

Did the "next-gen" change already happen?

My ps5 games just look like hd ps4 games

I think games actually built for next gen machines will have some massive advances, but I wouldn't go that far. The Jaguar CPU was barely a step up from the generation before it, so in many ways games stagnated more than people would think for a generational shift.
There's a lot more CPU power this time around, but even with all that power, the question is whether or not game studios have the courage to take big risks on unproven ideas and experimental concepts. My money is on no.

Games haven't changed since the PS3/360 gen
All we get now is new monetization methods

Xbox hasn't made one next gen game yet

He's wrong and will be wrong for the foreseeable future. Games have been the same for 20 years, only thing that has changed his hardware which allowed more crap to be pushed to the screen at once. The gameplay itself is still the exact same just with more or bigger "stuff".

yes, they are drastically worse
>early access
>seasons
>day 1 “bug fixes” that are 10Gb+
>no physical copies
>balancing issues that are never fixed
>identity politics
>runaway file sizes
>IP negligence and abuse

Phil Spencer says a lot of things.

Evidence that he's wrong is not stating where that advancement will come from showing how much he's just bullshitting on the topic.

Well lets see what MS has released for Series X/S:
>Forza Horizon 5 which is exactly the same game as Forza Horizon 4
>Halo Infinite which has less content and is a worse GAAS than Halo 5
>next-gen patches of Psychonauts 2, Halo MCC, and Gears 5 that offer modest upgrades with games being exactly the same
>most touted new feature of next-gen Xbox is 60fps with backwards compatible games
>second most touted feature of next-gen Xbox is a way to automatically download next-gen versions of last-gen games

No, he is a liar.

>Was he right?

no

Attached: 1601464129178.jpg (3837x4306, 3.81M)

Maybe once the last gen consoles stop being supported, which probably wont happen until 2024

The only way that's happening is if vr advances far enough. I don't know how that will look like (maybe adding more senses to the deal) but adding more pixels and lighting isn't going to do anything.

We haven't seen next gen games yet. GTA6 will probably be the first one.

Continuously making your consumer believe the next thing is the best thing is an important part of selling shit to people

Reminds me of modded skyrim where some empty tundra with cloud shadows blow anything today out of the water. Games should focus on artistic visuals instead of soulless realism.

>soulless realism
This is something that a lot of people don't actually understand but it's the key. Think about the perfect photograph or even amazing shots in cinema. What makes those images striking is the artistic direction behind them. For a photographer they may have to wait for the perfect time of day, maybe get lucky with specific weather conditions too, in order to get that perfect shot. In film the crew go out of their way to light the scene and set everything up properly for it to look the way it does.
Just having the capacity to simulate real world imagery very accurately is only half the battle, it's just a better toolset. If you have no sense of aesthetic, it's no different than taking a picture out in the street with your phone. Nobody cares.

>it will rain more in the next 100 years than it has the last 100 years
>don't say when or why so technically i'm not wrong

No. Gen 7 was the last appreciable tech leap, and the biggest advance it accomplished was standardizing widescreen and HD resolutions.

There are very few games that understand this. Games like Ghost of Tsushima and RDR2 come to mind but it is also takes insane amounts of resources and talent to pull it off.

Which is why when I hear shit from Epic and their shills about how their engine makes development easier I just ignore it immediately. All it does is make it easier to make generic shit like Back 4 Blood.

imo, this might be the smallest change we've ever seen form one gen to another, diminishing returns are setting in hard

There hasnt been a single PS5 and Nextbox game that looks that much better than early PS4 games.

>says this
>still rejects VR because it's "not social" (???)
>even after the success of the Quest 2
>even when PSVR 2 is on the horizon
What is he thinking??

When has Phil Spencer ever been right? He's always lying too. Why do people keep believing him?

lolno, we probably won't see any game that is even close to what he is talking about until 2024 or 2025 at best and at that point the "next gen" hardware will be as outdated as current gen is now in comparison.

With console supply chain issues this is going to be the longest or shortes gen to date since Sony and Microsoft are either going to cut their losses and jumpstart the gen after this one or put all of their remaning console muscle behind the current gen, forcing themselves to support it for longer just to get their monies and R&D worth

it feels like everything is just lagging behind horribly this gen
so many games were being made to work on the ps4 and the fucking ps3 to some point. and even if a game is made for the ps5 it really isn't feeling like such a graphical leap anymore

no, the graphic has stagnated

What next-gen games?

Where the fuck are they?

We've been waiting for years, where the fuck are the next-gen games?

You have to see demons souls irl on a good tv in order to appreciate how good it looks.

Yes as exhibited by actual next-gen games like

This gen there has been literally zero noticeable change.

Attached: Yellow Ring.jpg (1920x1081, 340.39K)

Doesn't help that nobody's buying games on PS5 or Series SX, forcing devs to maintain crossgen development to a high degree and probably for a while to come.

Gt7 literally looks the same on the ps4 and the ps5 at 60 fps to boot.

Imagine if GT3 could run on the ps1 while still looking the same with zero visual compromisses.

How many games released simultaneously on PS4 and PS5?
How many games released simultaneously on SNES and N64?

This dude is a worst liar than Todd. At least Todd was a chess master and you didn't see that coming.

Modern gaming has been the same as it was since the PS3, maybe late PS2 era. the only thing that's majorly changed since then is how more jewish devs and publishers have gotten with selling DLC and microtransactions.

Depends if he's talking about console generations or video game generations in general. I would consider 7th and 8th gen as part of the same generation, including the early 9th gen so far. We haven't had that true generational leap yet. Perhaps sometime around 2024-2025 when we get past the chip shortage and devs get familiar with UE5. New consoles should be out by then as well. Next gen switch and pro versions of XBOX/S/X and PS5.

No. If anything, it feels like gaming got worse since last gen.

To be fair, a lot of snes games were released on ps1

this

I wish we stopped focusing on graphics. Diminishing returns is a big factor with them and not even today. Look at games from a decade ago and the jump from there to today is tiny. Fuck graphics, give me better physics, interactivity, AI, level design, mechanics.

None simultaneously, and mostly after the PSX was already established. Sony actually went out of their way to demand that devs utilize 3D and make 3D games in a meaningful way, with very few exceptions like Mega Man and Rayman.

They wanted to avoid the trap Sega fell into with the SegaCD where a lot of games were just Genesis ports with CD audio.

This.

Furthermore until we get Encephlon dive ghost in the Shell style shit, where can we go besides screen + input?

Also VR dummies sit your asses down. I see you in the back wanting to protest. It's still a fucking screen.

Attached: Pole_Position.jpg (1000x1131, 288.78K)

Every one of this statements is either a straight up lie or exaggeration

Phil was clearly overhyping it. I don't even know what that would look like. Even the tech demos like the Matrix one don't look substantially different from last gen. It's just better streaming and higher fidelity assets. VR is the same type of jump but we've had that already and it won't ever replace flat screen.

Will we ever surpass PS2 games bros?

Attached: zoe2b2.webm (640x480, 2.93M)

Hes righgt though, the changes are drastic.
>80-90€ games
>Denuvo drm who ruins the performance for buyers
>No available hardware
>A fisherprice tablet that barely run 3d is somehow number 1 because its the only available thing
>Everythings getting a lightfilter
This gotta be the most drastic changes of all time

Stylized graphics will ALWAYS beat realism and age much better.

The games didn't make the jump yet.

>still no 4D games
Yeah, I don't think so.

Because they literally are.

I dont think that's true. FF7Remake will hold up much better than FF7 original does. It's still kind of stylized but its clearly trying to make the characters more realistic. Diminishing returns so I dont think the PS9 is going to make them look much better.

>VR happened
heck yeah he was right

>believing this faggot's lies

Attached: 1598471554067.jpg (561x497, 37.77K)

see

I think it is supposed to be RT, but could be VR.

LOL

pr talk

He was right. They accomplished it by being as invasive as possible. Every political and social axe that some mentally ill person has to grind ends up as fair for fantasy. I didn't pay for social programming and listening to affirmative action hires but damn they just keep putting it in. I never expected so much nostalgia playing modern games with AI that belongs in a 90's title or to be more entertained taking the piss out of games and treating them like giant museums of mediocrity and failure. This truly is the future of interactive spaces and getting to troll people for being retards.

We literally still don't have actual next gen games yet. They are just last gen built games ported to new consoles. It's going to be a couple of years before developers start making PS5/Series X exclusive games that are built ground up for them. We will see it soon as Unreal Engine 5 gets more mainstream.