Well Yea Forums, is he right? Are Persona/Trails the gold standard to aspire to for JRPGs?

Well Yea Forums, is he right? Are Persona/Trails the gold standard to aspire to for JRPGs?

Attached: gold standard.png (828x1318, 915.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

novacrystallis.com/2014/09/with-final-fantasy-xv-i-do-want-to-make-it-more-casual-says-tabata/
youtube.com/watch?v=1pXJqs2bgi4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lmao no

No game should adhere to the standards of another just because they're of the same genre.

Fpbp/spbp

Hell no, tales is mediocre but trails is just trash.

If those were the gold standards, I wouldn’t be a fan of JRPGs to begin with.

Attached: 1646591059510.jpg (675x900, 140.17K)

Yes, Final Fantasy is dogshit.

Persona is a sim-JRPG hybrid. Some elements like the battle system UI mapping buttons can be implemented in traditional JRPG but you're limited in what you can apply so it can't be called a standard.

Trails is complete kusoge that makes the halfbaked modern Final Fantasies look good so it definitively should not he looked at a standard.

No, the best JRPGs are Bloodborne and Elden Ring.

What the hell is wrong with personafags? How does anyone in their 20s/30s tolerate school anime?

Attached: 1650850808259.png (1431x1432, 1.98M)

No way. I love Trails but I don't think every JRPG should be a long running novel series with overarching plot, games being one off things on their own are perfectly fine. He could have a point if he was talking about taking a note of the world construction in Trails but again, I don't think all RPG should be wordswordswords and he's lumping the series with persona and has a Rean avatar so he's obviously a retard that shouldn't be talking about standards of anything at all.
Also this

Kill yourself for post your twitter here, fucking moron.

>Walls of text
No thanks.

Attached: 1650646511244.png (400x400, 111K)

I refuse to believe there is an unironic adult that uses a non shitpost picture of Rean as their profile picture, let alone a father.

>Gold Standard
Fuck no.
They’re good games, but their modern stories and characters are flimsy beyond repair, mostly due to lazy writers that prioritize waifu bait over engaging narratives and gameplay. That being said, Final Fantasy shouldn’t be either; Dragon Quest can stay though.
In terms of consistent quality, ambition, and progression of the genre, I’d say Xenoblade has become the type of game other JRPGs should look towards for inspiration.

Attached: 22ACE2C9-4140-4E12-90A7-7D944AE1F4B9.jpg (1280x720, 67.75K)

Should every game of a genre be like another game in that genre? No._

Fpbp

Not really. Both examples take inspiration from both series. He's basically calling himself a zoomer and saying "fuck boomers".

No, they're entirely too long.

in terms of gameplay P5 blows the competition out of the water, FF needs to quit trying to become DMC and focus more on making tactical gameplay feel smoother and more responsive. that said P5 has an absolutely shit narrative that nobody should be copying. and I don't think anyone's regarded FF as the gold standard in jrpgs since maybe X.

Reminds me of this.

Attached: 1635609041491.png (828x1025, 779.03K)

I know the Persona series has been a fuckload more consistent in quality than the Final Fantasy for a long, long time. Dragon Quest is more consistent than either, but that's because it's almost exactly the same fucking game each and every time.

Why do Twitterfags have some of the worst takes/tastes out there?

Not saying Arise is a bad game, but I got it at release, played it a good 6-7 hours and haven't touched it since. It's probably the least engaging game in the series since the PS2 era.

Persona and Trails are for people who think they're too cool and unique for Final Fantasy but fundamentally want the same exact slop if not worse.

DQ is the definition of no ambition, they are happy to not change anything and stay safe; that's fine, but it can't be allowed to be thought of as something to aspire to being like.

>they are happy to not change anything and stay safe
Except DQ1 plays nothing like 2, which plays nothing like 3, which also plays nothing like 4 and so on.

I can't speak for Trails, but as for Persona I would argue that its more of a genre mashup rather than a straight JRPG.

Attached: 26194295ae6e79c4bb5df241c784ddfa.jpg (600x938, 101.24K)

Persona games might be better right now but I'll take a Final Fantasy game in its peak (5-10) any day.

kinda, after FF has gone down the shitter since 12

you telling me
aren't the same with minor changes then you're blind, I cant talk for 4 because I haven't played it but I assume it fits with catagory 2. FF atleast reinvented/stole their systems most games for better or for worse.

Dude, one of the main draws for the series is the fact that each game feels like the last! There's tons of articles and videos out there talking about how that's what people love about it!

Persona is quite literally the opposite of what I want from an RPG.

>FF atleast reinvented/stole their systems most games for better or for worse.
Shallow gimmicks don't change the nature of your moviegames, you say DQ 3, 7 or 9 are supposedly the same but somehow FF is different when FF4 recycles FF2 and FF5 recycles FF3, which already recycled FF1, let's not talk about any FF post 6 which is quite literally the same exact game formula over and over.
People like that DQ has a strong identity, but nobody in their right mind will tell you DQ1 is the same as DQ11 or that DQ9 and 11 are the same, and that's taking out 10 a priori since that's an MMO.

Does the one on the right actually feel like FF7R or twitter just being retarded?

Attached: 1623729303545.jpg (1376x2064, 220.73K)

It's an action RPG. That's about all it has in common with 7R

Don't know about Persona but Trails is 100%.

Trails in the Sky trilogy would be perfect if they trimmed down half a game's worth of stuff. Cold Steel would be "good enough" if they didnt have the retarded "this is FFXIV tempering but much worse!" and im not even a huge FFXIV fan, plus the entire existence of cold steel 2 was fucking worthless and it could have been part of the first game.

Even then those games would suffer from a lot of issues. Persona is just paced like dogshit with dogshit combat

Let's be fair, Final Fantasy has been warped beyond recognition since X or arguably XII, and the last few DQ games have been snoozefests.

Persona only became popular because of that vacuum. Turn based JRPGs are still very popular because they're so easy to get into, and can tell a story with a great scope.

2 tried to reinvent stat growths completely, 4 brought in ATB, 8 tried to reinvent equipment with junctions, 10 went with showing turn order and the level up system, 12 tried to revamp the battle system with how it played and gambits for programming allies, 13 tried to make a more cinematic and dynamic system that was I presume to look more like a movie than anything and 15 went full action game. They don't all land on their feet but they didn't just stick to what they knew and the gameplay themselves all hold an identity of their own.

>Trails
>Gold standard

Because no matter how stupid they're, other stupid people will like their comments, this validates them and they keep going.

>and 15 went full action game.

and failed at the action part because the (now fired) director was a casual pandering hack:
novacrystallis.com/2014/09/with-final-fantasy-xv-i-do-want-to-make-it-more-casual-says-tabata/

Attached: Balan Wonderworld.webm (640x360, 2.66M)

This
Anyone saying "games should be x" should be ignored, you want or are trying to limit the scope of the industry for no good reason. Atlus games are my favorite but even Atlus at some point was throwing shit at the wall and seeing what stuck with their games, part of that was making a hybrid life sim with procedurally generated dungeons and that became their most popular franchise.

>gold standard
does Trails even have any standards?

yes man the difference between FF7 and 10 is just a shallow gimmick but DQ7 and 9 are worlds apart lmaoooo

Bro I ain't defending 15, it's fucking awful but I understand the intent and they didn't just make something they knew that works. Blaming exclusively the director is incredibly insincere too, they tried to make him a manager to use the luminous engine so he left. None of it was his baby you can't put a game that was in shown for 10 years which he was there for only a few entirely on his lap.

>Blaming exclusively the director is incredibly insincere too

it's his fault the game's "difficulty" is a complete joke on normal

Based

>Soulsshit
Fuck off

>No game should adhere to the standards of another just because they're of the same genre.
youtube.com/watch?v=1pXJqs2bgi4

Attached: Smoke & Honey.png (916x1300, 1.76M)

This just screams "i love playing make believe dating sims". Only pathetic weebs enjoys shit like this.

>Give every dumbass the ability to share their opinion with the world
>Be surprised when you get to see billions of dumbass opinions
The average person is a goddamn moron

OP BTFO

They are not even similar

Because picking a twitter post that has a good take won't generate replies.

It feels nothing like VIIR, it's shite.

I have posted this before but trails has garbage unfun gameplay where you are forced to use Joshua and Estelle for the entire game so your options are limited for no reason. and even if they were not enimies are HP sponges.
it isn't a novel it's a shitty anime about fighting an unstoppable secret society with ridiculous dragon ball z powers who could easily kill you all but don't really give a shit. And almost every character is some anime cliché. Most sci-fi/fantasy novels I have read such as Hyperion or book of the new sun (which is overrated in my opinion but still better than trails) are 10x better than trails in the sky.

This. JRPGs are also one of the best examples of this. People who screech about Turn Based vs ATB and whatnot make zero sense. If you don't like how a game plays just don't play it. Another example that comes to mind from a different genre is the people who say Minecraft should play more like Terraria.

>Persona
>gold standard of anything
Lmao

Attached: 1651738321151.webm (852x480, 2.85M)

based, trails is kino but Yea Forums will never admit it

Persona and Trails are meme fads that wont be remembered in 30 years

There's plenty of overrated series that dominate the public perception of their respective genres, but Persona beats them all.

Trails has issues with its tone and pacing

>Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy
A diverse rag tag group of adventurers of different age and culture/sex/ideology band together and despite their differences travel the world and beyond to defeat a greater evil. Story structures essentially versions of species defining tales like the Illiad and similar from all across Europe, Asia and the middle east/north africa.
>Persona
A cast entirely consisting of high schoolers (lmao) do something of no consequence for some reason and takes 100 hours to complete. Side effects include penis withdrawal and weight gain. The menu is your smartphone (wow thats so cool)
>Trails
Overpriced snoozefests I do not really have a strong opinion on.
>In conclusion
I fucking hope not

Attached: bucket.jpg (925x801, 311.96K)

This is godly writing according to Twitter and game journalists, lmao.

Well, that was cringe.