The last time I bought a monitor was in 2018 so I was thinking about upgrading. Does anyone have an ultrawide...

The last time I bought a monitor was in 2018 so I was thinking about upgrading. Does anyone have an ultrawide? I really want one but there are so many options. A friend recommended the alienware AW3423DW to me but I heard HDR doesn't work with multi monitor setups so I'm hesitant. Any recommendations?

Attached: alienware-aw3423dw-1-1.jpg (1024x682, 55.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YleSuwK8vR4
pcgamer.com/uk/valve-quietly-updates-half-life-2-with-increased-fov-ultrawide-support-and-ancient-bug-fixes/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ultragay more like

before anybody else posts, do not listen to the poster above me.
He sucks cocks for a living.
Ultrawide is better for so many reasons.

Just get a bigger 16:9 unless your main use for your computer monitor is watching movies. If it is stop being retarded and build a home theater.

ultrawide cool for casual games, not so good for competitive

/thread

If you play console games alongside your PC being on and use ftp, go with a Super-ultrawide.
I got mine as a gift from my brother. Some games will piss you off if it's not supported natively. Supposedly you can get around it with a hex editor, but I've not had luck.

Attached: 20220509_052137.jpg (4032x1816, 2.13M)

What do you consider a competitive game? I only play single player games and mmos casually from time to time. I play some fps too but none of them in ranked mode or competitively.

Attached: 1650530688891.png (527x409, 26.58K)

It's a cool monitor that's still one of a kind, it does have quite a lot of problems as well though.
youtube.com/watch?v=YleSuwK8vR4

If you aren't in any particular rush I'd at least wait until later this year when more QD-OLED and LG's new IPS Black panels start coming out.

Yeah you'll be fine. Might be best to run the FPS games in 16:9 though.
No.

OP here. I tried to order the alienware monitor but shipping time is 2 months minimum. I guess I'll just wait since new stuff will probably come out by the time I actually get the fucking thing.

Attached: 1564183985202.png (460x383, 181.55K)

There's quite a lot of competitive games, MOBAs mostly, that purposefully block UW resolutions since it'd just be too big of an unfair advantage since they let you see far more of the map than someone playing on a standard 16:9 monitor.

Outside of that, for FPS for example, it has nothing to do with UW as a format and everything with nobody having made an UW with disgustingly high refresh rates yet.
If you look at professional CS tournaments and the like everyone still uses fucking CRTs and those TN panels with 360+ Hz.
As soon as someone makes an UW that hits similar response times fucking everyone would switch instantly.

This.
High res = less FPS + more input lag due to higher GPU usage.
You also take your eyes off the centre of the screen and takes a second to reposition. All it takes to die.

don't buy that alienware, it has really horrible text

Nah. I know sweaty players and only some of them have moved to 1440p. On average they have the 240hz monitors. The 360hz / 390hz are actually blurry as fuck believe it or not. Many of them like DYAC on BenQ monitors.

>There's quite a lot of competitive games, MOBAs mostly, that purposefully block UW resolutions since it'd just be too big of an unfair advantage since they let you see far more of the map than someone playing on a standard 16:9 monitor.
League of Legends does not do this kek
My 21:9 monitor sees more, and my friend has an Odyssey G9 that lets him see a massive amount of the map

You knowing "sweaty players" doesn't change the fact that for example the Alienware AW2521H with its 360Hz 1080p TN panel is the absolute mainstay among CSGO autists.
You can look at quite literally any tournament and you will see almost nothing but those lined up.

for competitive racing sims, ultrawide is a massive advantage

>ultrawide
Why would you want to pay more for half a monitor?

Attached: 20220308170034_1.jpg (3840x3780, 3.55M)

I'm pretty sure all the bigger LoL tournaments have a clause requiring people to play on 16:9, the really big ones obviously standardize monitors across all competitors with a model from whoever is sponsoring the event.
So while you can do casual games at home with them that advantage turns into a distinct disadvantage the second you step into the eSports scene and suddenly have to play as if you are blind not being able to see nearly as much as usual.

I got the AW3423DW a couple of months ago and its HDR works flawlessly in a dual monitor setup

Attached: nvcplui_2022-05-09_14-03-57.jpg (316x144, 18.58K)

I forgot where I read it but someone said if your other monitors don't support hdr it won't work. Was I baited?

you were, because my other monitor is a half decade old TN panel that has no HDR support

Maybe man but I don't plan on going to e-sport leagues and joining league tournaments. We just chill and play games on the weekend. I love actually being able to utilize my monitor for reasons why I got it.

>The last time I bought a monitor was in 2018
Great, then you don't need a new one

16:10

For sure, I have an UW as well and fucking love it for MMOs and Strategy especially, would never go back to 16:9 the extra real estate is just so unbelievably nice

I have several ultrawides sitting in my closet. Switched to 4k 55" display. Wide-screen is a meme, or rather. I find it to be useless. Even for video editing (film skateboarding) it's kind of a space waster.

oh no no no no no
pcgamer.com/uk/valve-quietly-updates-half-life-2-with-increased-fov-ultrawide-support-and-ancient-bug-fixes/

Just recently got an ultrawide and didn't know that so many games require a workout. IMO, I cannot play games with black bars, and it took some time for some of them to get it working. Be warned all Japanese games don't support it.

Samsung went with specifically gaming monitor since the sub pixel layout and font reading make it sub-optimal for anything besides gaming.

Fuck...I feel like an idiot. So I could still do 3 monitor setup with an UW in the middle without problems then. Well now I at least feel safer about purchasing one.

Luckily the UW community is always quick with getting a workaround out if needed

lol
lmao

Attached: monitors-g3223d-black-gallery-2 (1).jpg (4190x3501, 1010.62K)

>ultra wie
more like ultra cringe

When you say "don't support it" what exactly does that mean? That the game doesn't work at all? Or just that you play it at the normal resolution with black bars on the side?

Not every game calculates FOV based on aspect ratio the same way.

Waste of money DOA garbage legacy tech, get VR glasses instead if you want immersion. More compact more immersion cheaper. Keep screens flat because curved screens are ass for anything except rally & fps games.

>Or just that you play it at the normal resolution with black bars on the side?
Not him, but it's that. For example Elden Ring suffers from this. You have to install a workaround that stops you from playing online to get it in ultrawide, otherwise its blackbars. They obviously were fucking around with it cause the patchers had to remove a black vignette that would show up if you force patched it to ultrawide.

They're cool but I found my Odyssey to be better for work stuff than gaming. Not enough games support the aspect ratio and the ones that do don't have any options for adjusting the game to match the angle of curvature of the monitor. I'm surprised nobody has even thought about the curve, all ultrawide monitors are curved now so it should be a given option along with ultrawide resolutions.

2018 is really quite some time ago. I was still happy then.

Forgot now that I have a job and money I could actually buy a new monitor. I want something 1440p 144hz, what would Yea Forums recommend?

Attached: 1501622334462.png (483x701, 311.42K)

These screenshots were literally taken after that update. It's also a garbage update in general, they completely fucked the scaling for the HUD and UI so it looks like a fucking apple product. What else can you expect from modern valve, I guess.

Sure, just like how not every game supports ultramemes out of the box. Changing your FOV is like changing your fucking level of AA, it takes 2 seconds in a menu and isn't really a good reason to pay more money for less monitor.

>pay more money for less monitor
lmao, it's this dumb cunt again
that's not how aspect ratios work, we've been over this

True, but if something doesn't go right then you have to search for another workout. For example, after a million years I got Tales of Arise to play in UW, but the camera is too zoomed in so I have to look up to zoom out hack. Another example is that cutscenes are not in UW. All in all, it is just too tiring and timing consuming.

I mean they outright don't have an option for UW, you will play in 16:9 with black bars on the side and it sucks. Workarounds work, but you have to give something like online play, glitchy sides when loading screen, or the game forces 16:9 for cutscenes which breaks the immersion. Don't get me wrong, while it sucks UW is still king and I won't go back. Movies especially look amazing, which is something that isn't stated that much.

Yup. And It's fine, I buy $2k computers almost monthly so I'm not complaining about the gaming focus. But if these monitor producers really want me to spend cash then I'm going to need some proper incentives. Meaning focus on what filmers/editors want.

Honestly the only time I had to spend more than 5 minutes getting a patch right for UW was fallout 4, and in the end it was because of mod issues that caused me my problems.
Otherwise if it isn't in flawless widescreen yet googling Ultrawide Patch for [Game] Reddit ends up getting me to a thread of people talking about how to fix any issues that come up, including if its zoomed in etc.

>2018
Should I feel bad I've been using a pair of 24" 1080p Dell monitors since 2012?

But if it counts I've torn down an ipad 3 and I'm turning it into a 9.7" 2K monitor for retro vidya at a clean 6x scale; just waiting on the driver board from aliexpress.

Attached: 1607833663766-v.gif (366x510, 1.66M)

Avoid cheap VA panels like the plague

>Changing your FOV is like changing your fucking level of AA, it takes 2 seconds in a menu and isn't really a good reason to pay more money for less monitor.
Nevermind, I can see you're retarded. Have a nice day

It's absolutely how aspect ratios work, I'm very sorry terms like "relative FOV" mean nothing to you. Unless you're that retard who thinks paying more for less is fine because you're too dumb to open the options menu before you start a game, and you only play modern AAA shovelware so you've somehow never encountered a game that doesn't support your meme monitor.

mmost games I play support 21:9 and, using your example of HL2 (which has mods to fix the ultrawide issue), I could just play at 16:9 if I wanted, as opposed to using the native gimped 21:9 support
best of both worlds
easy

>he fell for the ultrawide meme

op's alienware or the lg 34gn850

What's sad is that you seem to be so delusional that you somehow think HL2 has broken UW support which is why I can achieve the same basic horizontal FOV with 4k. You literally understand absolutely nothing about 3D engines, you live in a fantasy universe where wider aspect ratios magically add more image for the same horizontal resolution. Legitimately, you are too dumb to live.

>brainlets falling for the "ultrawide meme" meme

going from 16:9 to 21:9 is the biggest improvement in gaming experience you can make.

there's nothing transformative about sticking to 16:9 and incrementally increasing pixel density every few years.

Attached: 1646750687911.jpg (1920x1280, 227.05K)

>costs more
>higher response times
>more GPU usage + lower FPS = more input lag
>looking outside of screen centre will get you killed
>some games don't scale properly
For casual games, it's good. For competitive, no.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to try and convince yourself that buying half a monitor was a good idea. Keep posting comparisons that make zero sense though, really makes you look smart.

>For competitive, no.
nobody here is some esports millionaire.
you're a casual larping in competitive games.
all the variables you listed don't amount to a material difference, and you'd know that if you were any good at competitive games.

>For competitive,
HAHAHHA kill yourself zoomer. You will never have an esports career. Better start stretching your anus now if you want to earn an income.