Why do fags pretend that cinematic video games are a bad thing when it's obviously not?

Why do fags pretend that cinematic video games are a bad thing when it's obviously not?

Video games is still a form of art and in art, they should be whatever they want to be with no limitation. that's like telling movie directors to stop making non-capeshit movies and instead they should make more capeshits because cinema are meant to be entertaining only.

Attached: gaming-cinematography.jpg (1080x608, 132.37K)

But it is a bad thing. The 3 games you just posted are literally the worst in their series especially from a gameplay standpoint...

Because it's been beaten to death. And it inflates the prices of video games because they huge development costs. And it's a waste of dev time that could be spent on some other shit that might have a chance of being fun.

>cinematic video games are a bad thing when it's obviously not?
Go replay all of those games and tell me that they're good GAME design. MGS did it right since you can skip cutscenes or pick missions on the later ones.

Video games can be art if there is an auteur at the head of the project dictating every single detail. Which also means the most prolific and popular artist in all of video games is Kojima Hideo.

Attached: The Pillars of the Gaming Industry.jpg (1280x670, 525.35K)

I like when game is fun to play not when it's supposed to be fun to talk about cutscenes.

Video games is art form. that sort of mentality is the reason why average people don't take video games serious when it can be.

Cinematic video games are bad because they're all shit, not because the idea is bad.

Art doesn't exist, it's a word with no meaning.

just because it had low replayability doesn't mean that it's automatically a bad thing. if that's what you mean by "GOOD" game design.

There are movies that I admire dearly but that doesn't mean I keep rewatching it to death. comparing to some movies where I will not get tired of rewatching it but that doesn't mean it's the best movie that ever existed.

without going with too much of a minor details, video games are similar in this department as well.

Art does exist. don't be a midwitz

I like MGS V.

>Because it's been beaten to death.
That's not even true. There are a lot of video games out there that aren't fall under the category of cinematic video games. Cinematic can be fun too you know right?

>not because the idea is bad.
fair.

"The worst in the series"
Bioshock 2?
God of war 2??
Metal gear solid 4???
I don't want to say they are bad games (specially if we are talking about gameplay) but... are you really serious when you tell me that those games are better in gameplay? its like telling me that demon souls is better in gameplay than idk dark souls 1, like how???
The only one that i think is, arguable, worse is bioshock infinite but its more because of the level design than anything.

Video games are art. Art is creating something based on how you think, and feel, and then filtering it through how you see the world. That's the role of auteurs.

Attached: c20130409_GCF_022_cs1w1_1280x853.jpg (1280x853, 480.94K)

>Bioshock 2
>worst
Off yourself dumb fag

>they should be whatever they want to be with no limitation
O rly?

Attached: orson welles.png (568x718, 552.3K)

>art
>can be whatever it wants
>like genders
>but the other people are the fags
Way to go OP. Not only is your image of 3 of the dumbest video games, cringiest, and faggiest, but you fagged your own argument about fags.

Fag.

Attached: The_Meeting_Cinematic_Doom_3.png (1895x865, 1.85M)

meh MGS V overall its fine, wish that we could see the story that was cut looked interesting though a bit dumb

>Bioshock 2?
>God of war 2??
>Metal gear solid 4???
>worst
the fuck

OP is a dumb faggot needlessly defending the "Muh press A to win" school of game design, helmed by wannabe film-school rejects.

Attached: 1600463950416.gif (250x272, 1.12M)

I said that bioshock infinite was, arguable, the worst, dk why you think that i said that

you press buttons to win everytime user, the answer lies in how much time you spend doing anything but that.

>worst in the series
>MGS4
try hanging yourself

Games that die by their spoilers aren't good games. MGS V gives you room for some choices whereas Bioshock forces the player to go from part A to part B.

agree to that.

Games should not be movies. Any game that would be degraded with the "cinematic" or "movie game" label is actually really bad at emulating the best qualities of film. If The Last of Us was actually a movie, it wouldn't be held in high regard, probably melodramatic and schlocky. This kind of betrays the creators of these games as well as the mainstream journo class as just not thinking very highly of the medium of video games.

Attached: 1638650603730.jpg (440x459, 15.61K)

I meant Bioshock Infinite. Bioschock 1 gives you options.

Because they depend of a good script and it is not a good sign when only the example in the middle is enjoyable and solely because of the gameplay.

The switch from Ground Zeroes to PP is what must feel like to be cucked
>GZ
>pitch dark story
>actual elements of the ugliness of war
>grim and gritty

>PP
>Big Boss is a fucking hack
>Retcons for retcon sake
>Gameplay spread just as thin as any Ubisoft game
>Return to PW sillyness
>Kojima went stupidly over budget to the point it killed the franchise
>Donna Burke song does not fit at all story wise
>Quiet is superfluous coomer bait (Joostine is a cool gal though, so there is that)

By the end of the story is revealed that:
Zero was best friends with BB, contradicting MGSIV.
Liquid never met his father and spent his life on a personal vendetta against a literal stranger.
Big Boss legend is a fraud more so with Portable Ops out of the canon.
How is Venom even a demon when he risked his life saving the world while saving endangered species and children on his spare time? He might even lent a hand on fighting in favor of global nuclear disarmament.

Nobody say every games out there has to be cinematic and cinema games are the highest form of video games.

What I'm saying that Cinematic video games aren't inherently bad in its nature. and trying to say that "oh that is a bad game because it's le cinematic" is a weak criticization on games.

>Why do fags pretend that cinematic video games are a bad thing when it's obviously not?
Because cinematic games are popular and hating popular things make you look super cool (actually it doesn’t)
But anyways, hating movies games but not hating cutscenes is peak hypocrite

only true post
fuck art

Yeah i agree, though i don't really like how a big part of the game industry (western mainly) loved the concept but at the same time don't understand how and why it should be used.

this just proves that videogames as a storytelling medium is fucking awful

>Cinematic video games aren't inherently bad in its nature
There'd be a better case to make on this if these cinematic games could even cut it pound for pound with film in terms of writing or shot composition, but they really don't. These creators obviously don't want to make games, so why should they keep doing it unopposed?

You had 3 minutes to delete this post.

I don't think so. But I think that game designers should try to focus on how games can uniquely tell stories and convey messages or emotions that other media can't instead of limiting games to what film can do.

Attached: Ico_cover_-_EU+JP.jpg (264x376, 21.87K)

I agree that exist games that are the definiton of "it has good luck being a videogame because if it was a movie people would hate it" but I think The Last of Us can still work as a movie with less forgiveness but a good movie nevertheless

>deepest vidya character
>doesn't need words or explanation to their story
How did Kikiyama do it?

Attached: madotsuki.png (2394x2699, 441.25K)

She's not deep
>shut-in
>kills self
That's it, everything else is fanfic.

The problem is that you're comparing movies with games. An average movie runtime is around 2hr, which means that the movie has to fill in all the necessary information in that span of time. Whereas video games are much longer than that, believe or not some people would want to replay games just for the gameplay only and skip some inconsequential cutscenes like MGS. You can't do that in GoW (2018) or TLoU.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Attached: The_Road_movie_poster.jpg (220x324, 29.12K)

Vidya can't be art then

Because an artform can never be great when it simply emulates another and not embracing its uniqueness.

I think they are good games! its just that talking about gameplay i disagree. me saying that (for example) MGS 4 its the worst is not the same as saying its a 1/10, msg4 its the worst because i cant compare it with games that existed on the ps1 and ps2 (you want to make that comparison? why?) and i think PP its better because the gameplay ITS better and i don't think there's much argument against that

interpretations are the best thing about it and some do a pretty a good job at giving a reason to her demise in the end

Sure but they deepest fanfic ever is still fanfic, it's not part of the game and Kikiyama didn't do it.

My answer is a simple one: Ueda Fumito's "ICO". Videogames became an art form overnight, still spell bound years later. Giorgio de Chirico inspired visuals, haunting Oshima Michiru BGM. Ueda broke the mold, the game that changed gaming boundaries.

Attached: The Pillars of the Gaming Industry.png (1598x842, 1.56M)

>MGSV
>cinematic
I think you meant to post MGS4? MGSV has the more gameplay time than cutscene length.

Why do japanese devs tend toward cults of personality more than non-Japanese devs? The only Jap dev that seems to have gotten credit as a team instead of 1 figure was Team Silent.

>Team Silent.
Nah, Toyama Keiichiro is part of cult of personalities

Western games are mostly assembly line, design by committee type of affair. There aren't many directors with a strong vision and the freedom to pursue it because the west treats games as a business before an art.

>hating movies games but not hating cutscenes is peak hypocrite
Can you skip cutscenes?

>Western games are mostly assembly line, design by committee type of affair.
I'm referring to franchises that are decades old. When it comes to RE1 and 2, it's all about Mikami and Kamiya and nobody else except for the deaf larper. Comparatively, I've never heard someone call Thief: The Dark Project "a Greg LoPiccolo game"; it's a Looking Glass game that incorporated the creative ideas from numerous designers, artists, and musicians at Looking Glass Studios.

Attached: journalists.jpg (988x374, 86.55K)

It's bad because it's a fucking game not a movie. If I make a movie, refuse to utilise any techniques of the genre and just info dump via text then I shouldn't have made a movie, I should've written a book.

Cutscenes in moderation are fine, but the personality of characters, themes and messaging should prominently be seen through gameplay. Even if you were to remove all cutscenes and voice lines from Devil May Cry you could still get a loose idea to how the characters behave just on their combat animations alone.

You don't know what contributions individuals make. It's possible Warren Specter was being humble or not. Whatever. And Thief is a simple mechanical game. It lacks the punch of a MGS game.

>You don't know what contributions individuals make.
Depends on the project. Using Thief as an example again, it lists every designer for every level in the credits. Then there's things like the Looking Glass podcast where every former employee interviewed there basically said the same thing. The lone exception is Tom Leonard's work restructuring the AI; aside from that, credit was pretty even.
>And Thief is a simple mechanical game. It lacks the punch of a MGS game.
Unironically, what did you mean by this?

You are retarded, and you should kill yourself promptly.

I mean MGS has a bold direction as you can see in the presentation and writing, not just the gameplay. And, leaving Thief aside, we usually know very little about what contributions individuals make to games so we can't really say either way most of the time.

Ground Zeroes is the least movie game of all the Metal Gear Movie Games

Based Icobros

I'm willing to be more charitable to MGS than a lot of Thief fags are, including Warren Spector circa 2000 funnily enough, so I'll just let that be.
>And, leaving Thief aside, we usually know very little about what contributions individuals make to games so we can't really say either way most of the time.
I'd be willing to bet that the presentation of credit in Thief is more the rule than the lone exception. Frankly, I think that there are a lot of smaller people in Japanese developers that generally get bare minimum credit compared to a single figure. I love games that are directed by Ueda, and he himself made the amazing box art, but there were OTHER people on that team that made the game what it is, whether it had to do with Yorda, inverse kinematics, or whatever.