$70 is too much for a video game

>$70 is too much for a video game

Attached: 186A07C9-2455-4FDD-9A9E-6C70695A8AA5.jpg (750x223, 56.56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation
wtfhappenedin1971.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah cause wages haven't increased in the same proportions

$60 was too much for a video game in 2006.

Attached: Pirate Anarchy.jpg (900x900, 105.46K)

That is a 42.6% cumulative rate of inflation

I don't know why I felt the need to solve that math problem

Weren't games like $35-40 before?

Maybe some PS1 games and shovelware

It is when the games are less functional and have less content than they used to.

I paid $0 for all of my games using Piracy.

a dollar is too much there's so many high quality free to play games out there rofl get on with times gramps

Corpos are still posting profits

If they need more dosh they can fire their community managers and ethics departments

Correct. Even today most games with big budgets would be considered huge successes with the same sales at $45. This is why we can still use the Monkey Island metric.

Attached: mi.png (960x720, 30.85K)

why would video games become more expensive as most things (barring current economic situations) have continued to become cheaper? as a commodity because more popular, it becomes cheaper, why would video games become more expensive?

the video game market is bigger than ever, with more competition than ever, with competition typically things get cheaper.

the proper way is to price a game at what you think its worth, not a fixed 60. if a publisher thinks the next ass creed is worth 85 dollars for the base game...charge that much. see how it sells.

Only for CD-based games before the PS2 got into full swing and games started getting more ambitious. Do mind that back then you had cartridge games that could run up to $80. There is a scan floating around that shows the price of various vidya at the time but I can't be arsed to find it.

Exactly. If I am buying a digital copy of a game, I am expecting to pay less for it. Physical copies let me play the game when the online service goes down, or play without a connection, and give me a physical thing to store in the library. All of that adds value to the product.

So when I buy off steam, I will wait for the sale, unless I am anticipating the game enough to buy full price. Last time I did that was Mount and Blade Bannerlord.

It's not really the price that I have a problem with, it's the games asking for this price. A sports games released very year with minimal improvements shouldn't be the same price as GTA5 or RDR2 for example.

You're right, GTA and RDR are way too expensive.

Persona 4 was $40 at launch and not a single PS5 game comes even close in terms of quality.
>but muh expensive graphics and acting
Don't care, never asked for it, Persona 4 was already dated by 2008 standards and it shat all over the newest AAA western garbage that was riding on Gears and Uncharted's success.
I'm not paying $70 for yet another spin on the Far Cry 3 formula.

Attached: $40 game.jpg (641x637, 171.45K)

/thread

Zero games in 2006 is zero games today

>value of money goes down
>wages DONT go up to compensate
how is this allowed wtf

Attached: 1623361611478.jpg (192x245, 9.82K)

In 2006 When I bought the game I actually got the whole fucking game.

Attached: 1255725059370.jpg (640x360, 26.01K)

>$12 is too much for most of the shite getting pumped out these days.

It's all a big scam

I picked up both Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES for £25 just after Persona 4 launched. Thems were the days.

All games are free though??

yeah, and good games also sell more copies, retard.
I don't wanna give shitty games a chance to earn money back.

Attached: 1650693195813.jpg (1440x1440, 254.66K)

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

wtfhappenedin1971.com/

Attached: graph.jpg (1024x744, 80.71K)

Now compare $60 from the 80s to today since that's how much Nintendo was selling their games on the NES.

I remember a few brand new SNES games running $80. I also remember K-Mart selling NES games for $5 each, it's how I got Megaman 5 and 6, Project Vice, and a few other late release games.

A lot of games came out with high prices, but if you were buying games for last generation's console, you could get them on clearance or otherwise for really cheap. It really hasn't changed a whole lot in pricing, games go on sale pretty quick now, the big difference is instead of the purchase price going up, companies sell far more micro-expansions in the form of DLC to try and increase profits. It's one of the reasons I very, very rarely buy a game on release, I'm not about to pay $60 or more for a new game that I'm going to have to continue to pay on to buy future content when I can just wait a year or two and buy the game and its DLC for cheaper.

The other problem that modern games face is that they're competing against the entire history of video games for your attention, unlike movies that you watch once and move on to the next, a lot of players just play the same handful of video games for hundreds of hours. It's why developers are so focused on the DLC and microtransactions, it's not just profit from nickle and diming you, it keeps you invested so you feel like you've got to keep playing (And spending money).

My God...
We just opened Pandora's box.

Attached: 1651944341298.jpg (1080x1277, 252.09K)

They also gave you two games with the console, and everyone I knew only owned about 4-5 including those. People rented the majority of games they played.

The most I've ever paid for a game was 50$ and I regret doing that even despite the fact I used it to RMT back about 5 times as much.
The second most expensive game I bought is about 25$ for XCOM2 with all DLCs and I still think I overpaid.
I don't care how many times you've shelled out 80$ + tip for a 4 hour movie, there are better games for lower prices, I'll take my money elsewhere.

I can go buy a brand-new movie for $25-$30. A movie whose budget is beyond most AAA games excluding a seldom few (like SWTOR and other money burning pits). $60 for a game was always a rip off.

Yea Forumsros....
There's more.

Attached: 1651944505925.jpg (1080x1274, 215.43K)

I paid $50 for a brand new retail video game in 2006.

>wages havent increased in forever
>if it was even remotely fair you should be able to work part time and afford a 1 BR apartment
>friend in government says people are so distracted and delusional there literally using up there life working for nothing nowadays while mid to rich people sweet talk them into making them more money

Aww sweet, $10 price increase for underwhelming, half-baked and passionless games! Don't forget to pay for the season pass + network service subscription!

>I HECKIN LOVE INFLATION

Attached: 1577299171085.gif (661x522, 422.97K)

Everything but AAA games are cheaper to make now than they were 20 years ago - hell, even AAA are cheaper in some areas thanks to digital distribution. Moreover, a lot of games have additional monetization avenues that were never acceptable 20 years ago - i.e. piece-meal DLC, gacha, and general microtransactions.

Anyone supporting $60+ price tags on games using a 'games-as-service' model is either an idiot or a corporate cocksucker.

Attached: gacha fags.jpg (648x473, 31.37K)

this is why you get a raise every year. you do have a job, right?

Uhhh Yea Forums? Anything to explain here?
You gamers are ungrateful fucks.

>oy vey goyim, your money is worth less to me now than it was before because.... because it just is okay?
>also you shouldn't be paid more to keep up with this decrease in value because you just shouldn't, don't question it, just shut up and work more

I wonder who could be behind this.

Attached: 1454802670734.png (368x376, 4.05K)

The weird part is on release physical is actually usually cheaper thru retailers like walmart/amazon/best buy. And you still have a resale option. At best with digital you might be able to get a refund but you're paying full price and even when it goes on sale the physical copy might already be in bargain bins at gamestop or something. The only reason i dont care about physical anymore is because everything needs to fucking install to my hard drive or sd card anyway so why waste the space having shelves of games i dont even care about

Attached: 1545706197720.jpg (908x483, 67.77K)

games were WORTH 60 dollar, they worth even less now

except wages never caught up with inflation, so this point is moot

Inflation over the last few years has been insane.

>because it just is okay
Population growth, brainlet

>Wtfhappenedin1971
Im no expert but 99% of the time something like this happens some fucking kike is behind it

I already only pay $60 for a game when I'm extremely motivated to play something as soon as it's out. However, most games aren't worth playing at launch because they're buggy broken messes. So most of the time I wait for the price to drop and sales. Generally speaking, I'd say $40 is the price I'm willing to pay for a good game.

>Reaganomics

Attached: absolutely_disgusting.jpg (720x540, 74.03K)

Well what happened?

what the fuck. is this true or some conspiracy shit? if true - what is the endgame?

Isnt 1914 when the US adopted the federal reserve?

there's actually several factors, removal of the gold standard, weird reaganomics, the downsizing meta of the 80s, etc etc

Kys

Yes.

Attached: IMG20201222143708.jpg (2784x2084, 1.86M)

absolutely true, there's a reason 50% of modern americans live pay check to pay check and have $1k or less in the bank

I forgot the hack job they did on the CPI, economists are scoundrels

Supply-Side Economics work and have turned the US into the absolute powerhouse it was before COVID/Biden ruined everything.

I've been saying this for a while. Video games have gotten really cheap if you consider inflation

>1990's McDonald's worker
>$4 minimum wage
>Has to work 15 hours for a $60 video game.

>2020's McDonald's worker
>$15 minimum wage
>has to work 4 hours for a $60 video game.

Sure. 1990's guy had better buying power for most things, but you get cheaper vidya :DDDDD

The graph is defining productivity as "gdp - expenses" for the entire economy and only looks specific production workers. Most of the economy in developed countries have shifted away from productivity related jobs because of technology.

Yeah, game rental was a much bigger deal as recently as the 360/PS3 era. You could just rent something and try it out for a while without having to download a 6GB day 1 patch along with it. What a fucking novel concept.

No wonder bideo game are a shit.

The gold standard was 10 years before reagan(which really is just bush sr and co. cuz lets be honest ronald and nancy were just complete fucktards)

don't worry, Mr. Goldstein gave himself a 1500% raise

You first

Halo 3 was the last game worth $60

games weren't as shit in 2006 either

The chart clearly shows growing inequality well before the time of Covid and Biden.

Weak bait, but it'll still work.

inequality is a meme

Welcome to being a poorfag in a rich man's world.
t. fellow poorfag that just wants his slice of the American dream.

dilate you fucking commies

retard

Minimum wage is still 7.25$ federally since like 2002 or something.

>there's a reason 50% of modern americans live pay check to pay check and have $1k or less in the bank
Yeah is called being dumbasses slaves of credit.

that graphic is fucked up, but that alone isn't to blame the current state of most people.

kill yourself drone

are you retarded? its all run by jews. even communism is inherently a jewish evil