Wow a JRPG with actually good worldbuilding for once

Wow a JRPG with actually good worldbuilding for once.

Attached: 2EC65E76-4001-441E-A99E-74A9D03FA2AA.jpg (800x1141, 138.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Sg9OYyPIYNk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this deserves a re-master. Really would like to see the graphics updated to today's standards. Many games from that era that still haven't gotten that type of treatment.

It got considered for a remaster but was deemed to be not profitable enough to get the go ahead.

xenogears needs a remaster first

Shame the character design is such shit

>people are praising this shit now
really highlights how bad things have gotten.

Everyone looks fucking retarded

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 12.40.08 AM.png (1612x1066, 1.5M)

Far exceeds 3's designs though. Don't know what they were thinking DESU.

xenogears needs an entire remake to fix the second disc being "fei sits in a chair and exposits for 3 hours then deus dies"
xenosaga had similar issues with shit budgeting in ep3 causing them to be unable to stretch out for 4-5-6 and just getting a retarded boss rush to wrap the story up, but it was way worse in xenogears.
xenosaga ep1 could be remastered, just some upscaling, redone FMVs (to remove the weird censorship like alsneedo ripping his head off with his bare hands that NA got) and some other stuff.

Too bad Takahasi can't stick to schedules or budgets when not being tard wrangled, and that he also happened to write his single worst bitch of a main character this time around.

>censors a guy ripping his own head off at you

>xenosaga
>good worldbuilding
Not in-game it's not. Xenosaga has amazing fucking backgrounding and pseudo-science, but it wasn't until ep3 that they actually put all of the relevant information in-game for the player to have access to. People were desperate to translate the ODM back in the day because of all the relevant information that wasn't included in the game proper. Then there was shit like the missing year, pied piper, etc. Wasn't like Xenogears where Gears itself was self-contained informationally and perfect works just added backgrounding.
XS1 did have a decent card game though, so I forgive it just for that.

Attached: 41659613_p0.jpg (640x937, 93.04K)

Dunno why people hate Shion so much. She legit suffer a lot of bullshit that could traumatice anyone and then comes Nephilim either speak to her in riddles or touch a nerve every time. And still gets shit done, with the help of Kos-Mos of course. I can actually agree with Shion most of the time except for that final encounter with Kevin, that was legit retarded but I think the devs wanted to give the player a chance to slap her shit so she could take that last step for her final choice.

Japanese got censored, western release got the actual scene.
The only one that actually got censored in the west was Ep3, the key scene for Shion and many events of the trilogy got the gore removed, so it lacks all the impact it needs for so crucial scene. The definitive way to play Ep3 is with the undub.

youtu.be/Sg9OYyPIYNk
No, it's even more retarded than that.

>uhh you can't show a guy cutting his head off with a knife
>okay the censors say that had to be changed, what do we do?
>make him do it with his bare hands

Attached: giga.png (300x337, 41.66K)

there is also a censored scene at the end where jin coughs blood after being stabbed by gnosis.

Yup. Only seems DEEP in hindsight with all the mats, but they were fun to look through.

Attached: 1639327660387.png (800x731, 267.5K)

Is that true that Saga is unfinished?

Nah, they just decided to cut out all the filler after episode 1 ended because 6 games was just too much.

No, it's finished. It just got everything crammed into the last couple hours of 3 because of shit budgeting (same reason as xenogears, they have 0 financial management sense). There were supposedly 6 games in the plans originally, but 1 came out and did well, 2 was a complete fucking bomb because it ruined just about everything 1 did well, and they didn't make near enough money to continue on past 3, so they took like 10 bosses that were intended to be major story villains and just threw them in a boss rush at the end of 3. boss>cutscene>boss>cutscene>boss>cutscene. Literally not even walking.

too much worldbuilding and not enough actual shit happening
legit fell asleep playing this garbage

I'm playing. Are 2 and 3 much worse as everyone says?
>6 games
Isn't it too much? 4 games could be perfect imo.

Technically, not really. The plan was to make six games but Ep2 was a commercial disaster so they figured out that they should cut the filler and put everything in one game. That's why Ep3 is better paced and has a lot of shit happening constantly compared with Ep1 and Ep2. So you get in one game the story and development of four.
2 is the worst one but if you get to like the combat, learn how to break the skill system (the game expects this) and like Rubedo and Albedo, give it a fair try. 3 is the best one.

>Halfway into Xenosaga 2
>It's just 1 but more gameplay and less interesting story
Good lord, you guys made it sound like it was some DMC2 abomination, this isn't much different from 1 in terms of faults. At least the battle animations don't take forever and a day.

2 is very bad. The story is a complete disaster, retcons a ton of shit from 1 inadvertantly, the combat is an absolute, objective downgrade.
3 is a return to form, and is basically the sequel everyone wanted. 3 is great, 2 is not.
but 2 is pretty much required to suffer through if you don't want to miss gigantic swathes of the story.

They actually decided to cut it down to a trilogy after 1, it had nothing to do with 2's reputation.

it still blows my mind that instead of Namco asking Monolith Soft to just improve upon ep1, they destroyed everything people loved about it and fired Takahashi and Soraya.

Retards.

I hope after Xenoblade 3 you guys get some love.

But Takahashi loves his fans.
R-right?

It's a shame how much the series degraded with Xenoblade. It's so shallow and void of ambition.

X had potential, even if it was disappointing, but who knows if we'll ever see it again.

Are you sure? Xenosaga Ep1 was actually successful and became a greatest hits PS2 title, you know, back then when Sony and third party publishers weren't too greedy. And Xenosaga Ep1 feels like a 30 hours introduction for a series planned to be big as fuck.
I already pre-ordered, love Monolith Soft/Takahashi's games. Sucks that the special edition will be Nintendo store only. I also own both Baten Kaitos games, and kinda want to get a japanese copy of Soma Bringer

hmm let’s see
anime characters of the first game are now hideously translated to look realistic destroying any sense of proper continuity, in-game music is atrocious, voice acting is trash, writing is significantly worse with Shion going from loveable to raging bitch

It sucks a bit how the Xeno series kinda gets worse as it goes along. There's such promise and ideas in them, but it feels like there's nothing left nowadays.

They build up the world and it never delivers, which sucks.

>Are you sure?
>Following the release of Episode I in 2002, the Xenosaga project was reevaluated and staff reshuffled to allow newer staff members a chance to handle the series. Series creator and Monolith Soft co-founder Tetsuya Takahashi stepped down as director, taking on other responsibilities within the company in addition to being given wider creative input on projects. >Takahashi's explanation was that he did not want to limit the scope and direction of the Xenosaga series, and that his style of direction as seen for Episode I could result in the development period becoming extended exponentially

That's what Wikipedia says.
I know
>Wikipedia

But it's sourced to a specific Famitsu interview, so I'm not sure if it's accurate because I don't know Japanese.

ep1 was also rushed out the door and the rest of the game was cobbled together with filler to make ep2
It's not to see that they would curtail the 6 game plan after the first one failed to finish on time

>Wow a JRPG with actually good worldbuilding for once.
???
It's pretty generic and isn't fleshed out much. You've got like 4-5 locations across the entire series that aren't dungeons.

>this deserves a re-master. Really would like to see the graphics updated to today's standards. Many games from that era that still haven't gotten that type of treatment.

Attached: TheHardTruth.png (597x1143, 890.04K)

>Realistic
Not that bad considering they change clothes later on
>Music
I agree, Ep2 has the worst OST of the trilogy but is still fine IMO, not that atrocious
>Voice acting
Is more or less the same. If bothers you, play the undub
>Shion
Shion is barely relevant for Ep2. Everything is about Rubedo and Albedo. And honestly, they did a good job with them
People has said the same since Xenosaga Ep1. I honestly I feel like Takahashi only had different phases in his life as developer, not everyone needs to be a Nomura doing the same thing over and over again, mastering it if you like it, just with different styles
Fair enough

World building doesn't mean how many locations you have in-game

>heroes are actually the bad guys
nice tweest

Aw that sucks ass, least he actually let people know.

>People has said the same since Xenosaga Ep1

Well Takahashi never actually got to complete one of his really ambitious games.

Even XcX got cut short

Worldbuilding is worthless if you never get to interact with the world.

Dunno how the executives say Xenosaga is not profitable, Kos-Mos and T-los were some of the first popular figmas and both got a decent amount of statues, hell, Kos-Mos got a new statue during the pandemic. Maybe it has something to do with Monolith Soft being a Nintendo studio

>Aw that sucks ass, least he actually let people know.
Yeah... But I reckon if they can fucking remaster the .hack games, which were at least as niche as the Xenosaga games, then they can remaster the fucking Xenosaga games.

I still prefer Gears, but Xenosaga I is a damn good game

Attached: xenogears seibzehn maria.jpg (320x240, 17.21K)

That's why I wanted a XCX Switch remaster. Maybe they could add an epilogue or something.
But well, maybe in a couple of years, I don't see Nintendo releasing the Switch successor any time soon

The censorship where they focus on her face watching him throw the body instead of actually showing it was actually a good idea if you really had to censor that visual. Every other act of censorship from both sides is just kind of baffling though.

I just looked up translations of the interviews, and it seems like the decision was made mid saga 2, so you're probably right.

I think you don't understand, Takahashi is not in liberty of touching these games, particularly Xenogears, they're property of Square Enix and Namco, Takahashi is now exclusively devoted to remaking Perfect Works as Xenoblade.

games
>Isn't it too much?
I'm pretty Takahashi chose 6 just because Star Wars did 6. I'm pretty sure they even had a similar plan where the later episodes would actually be prequels, or something like that. I believe there's a figure out there that shows the planned episode on a timeline.

>That's why I wanted a XCX Switch remaster.
I bet we will get a XCX Remaster/Remake for the next Nintendo system.

>The version of the Perfect Works we ended up getting is a fantasy shonen adventure for children
I hate this timeline.

>epilogue

More like the entire main plot.

The story you get in XcX is basically a prologue and you never get into the meat of the story.

X was purposefully left on a cliffhanger as a sequel hook, Takahashi was alao sick of it by the time development was done, and he has mentioned the entire studio was stressed out and hated making that shit and felt much better once they returned to the regular Xenoblade formula.

Yeah making an ambitious game is stressful, doing Blade shit with it's power of friendship story is easier.

Like holy balls compare the insane shit you can do with XcX's combat to the paint-by-the-numbers combat in Blade

>and he has mentioned the entire studio was stressed out and hated making that shit and felt much better once they returned to the regular Xenoblade formula
source?

>remaking Perfect Works as Xenoblade.

A waste of time because it doesn't work without the original context.

i wanna play through these games before xc3 releases

It's been a very long time since I WATCHED this shitty game, but I'm pretty sure the opening cutscenes of the game are 30 minutes long. You don't even touch the controller.

Attached: xenosaga is a long movie.jpg (1003x382, 45.25K)

It is creating its own context.

Xenoblade is not a stitch-up job like Xenosaga was to Xenogears, it is reusing the same overall structure of Perfect Works but telling its own unique story from scratch using the first Xenoblade as a basis, which originally was not even meant to be a Xeno game at all but has now been established as a sort of episode 4-2 that happens within the imaginary number domain at the same time as the more traditional episode 4 (Xenoblade 2), Torna is episode 3 and Xeniblade 3 is clearly the new version of episode 5/Xenogears.

>Takahashi is now exclusively devoted to remaking Perfect Works as Xenoblade.
You would think he'd learn that Perfect Works is a shit idea when his most successful game (Xenoblade) had nothing to do with it and as soon as he tried to connect it with Xenoblade X it bombed hard again.

It's movie-game.

Attached: xs cutscenes.jpg (467x376, 43.17K)

I do think he has learned some lessons, he is reusing Perfect Works as a guideline for Xenoblade but its infleunce on the project is far looser than it was during the development of Xenosaga, also the fact that he hated making Xenoblade X is probably informing his choice to keep Xenoblade simpler and more focused on telling one self-contained story in each game that only connects with the others through references but can stiol be enjoyed on their own.

>the fact that he hated making Xenoblade X
source.

What a retard if true.