Linux gayman thread

What are some cool games you've been playing on your freedom-respecting Linux machine lately?

Attached: 1651253643324.gif (512x512, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.com/librebob/athenaeum
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>linux
>freedom-respecting
lmao

Sven Co-op

Attached: deliver2-2022-05-05-0002.jpg (2560x1440, 303.36K)

damn near everything
didn't use pc much for years, came back, refreshed to the current version of my distro, and I was surprised how well wine and steam have made nearly everything run. haven't even had reason in a fat minute to load up the windows half of my pc. Like damn. I don't even have to fidget with PlayOnLinux anymore, shit just runs.
The current flavor of the month is Longvinter. No linux version but steam just does it anyway. beautiful

Trying to learn track signs. I'm a bit new.

Attached: s.png (3000x1920, 1.93M)

I just got Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate working.

>Bottle-devs are now GN*ME members
RIP
/spit

Attached: 123123123.jpg (932x108, 20.45K)

I just figured they always were since even on KDE their flatpak uses the gnome window style

>MEDIC!

God it just seems like everything is just made for gnome. kde chads we're losing

You underestimated the power of feet.

I don't care, as long as I can use KDE
Like, the GNOME and KDE devs don't fight with each other, why should I fight with GNOME users?

>go on reddit/linux_gaming
>some guy has the same issue I had in the past
>I could give him the solution
>but that would require me to log into reddit
>I don't feel like it
>he's just gonna have to keep suffering

>having a reddit account
Go help.

Death's Door
Runs great on proton

Don't help. Every redditor deserves nothing but suffering for ruining this site.

some counter-strike. i know they're native binaries, but God it runs amazing on linux

Elden Ring.
Just re-downloaded Dragon's Dogma to test out something. I'll give it a go later.

Reddit is probably the least responsible for the death of Yea Forums when most of the cancer currently ruining it originates from Twitter, TikTok and Twitch.

It's not our fault too many normie distros use GNOME or a GNOME fork.

As it is written.
>GNOME > KDE
>Debian > ALL other distros
>AMD > nVida + Incel
As it was written long ago, it is written now.

I guess I picked the right distro. I just use Openbox, though.

good. KDE is shit. Its a half assed android install by some chinese knock off company.

Reddit users are the cause of all cancer on this site. They settled here long before all that. They're the same people who make those twitter and twitch threads. They just don't do it on Reddit because they don't want to get downbooted.

>using non-free software
kys and go back to

Not a fan of gnome and their repeated efforts to try to force GTK into everything

My Steam install on Linux is borked for some reason, so Proton doesn't work at all. I didn't really mind, because the games I was playing were DRM free so I could just take them out of the Steam folder and use Wine.
But going on Windows for a while, I kind of missed having my some of my games easily available, since most of them run fine on Linux. I may go and play around with Steam to see if it can be fixed, or just needs a good purge.

Attached: Capture.png (279x784, 91.16K)

Arkham Knight randomly crashed on me after an hour or two hours of gameplay. I can't boot CIV VI. I'm testing Fallout 4 and it runs great, shit game though.

i dont have a problem at with any of those games. what distro are you using?

>hmmmmm...nioh threado...

How can we contact Electronic Arts to make some of their games open-source (while still keeping the assets proprietary)? I'm interested in the following:
>Full Tilt! Pinball (and allow Microsoft to release the source code for their cross-platform port of Space Cadet)
>Privateer 2: The Darkening
>Queen: The eYe

Attached: Screenshot_20220505_183856.png (262x102, 13.51K)

I really think that 2022 is quietly the year of Linux. They finally got shit working right, all the games I want to play work, and the Linux Mint experience is way less frustrating than Windows.

I think its getting there. More and more basic software is usable on anything and games were the missing link. And while its not perfect, the Windows experience has been on a steady decline for awhile and W11 for me is just a disaster. I just will not W11, they can eat my ass. Not sure I'm ready for the 100% switch over yet but I have plenty of time until W11 is forced on us for Linux to get even better.

I think the first year of the linux desktop was ubuntu 10 in the gnome 2 days since so much gets weirdly tied to the desktop environment and that one was just so universally good. Gnome3 really shat the bed for Linux, but now that people are recognizing that programs may need to be not so integrated into the DE, we may be on the rise of another year like that.

I'm glad there's an alternative to jill gate's software, but seriously half of the games I try to run are
>error occurs
>google error
>bunch of other people have the same problem
>no solution
or
>the solution is way over my fucking head and takes hours to research how to properly do

and I can't believe Gimp still doesn't have adjustment layers

Mostly playing Warframe. This game's an odd one. On one hand, it runs with much more consistency than on windows, everything just caches once and then never again, unlike windows where there's consistent stutter everywhere no matter how many times an asset loads in

On the other, it may just be my shitty craptop and old ass mouse, there's noticeable input delay, which sucks. Feels like this game is buggy as shit no matter what platform it's played on.

Attached: warfarm.png (1920x1080, 2.97M)

Meant to respond to OP, not that user, ah well

Krita if you are in it for art. Dark Table for photography is really similar to Lightroom. If it helps. I was never a fan of gimp.

As far as games I think more solutions and easier are on the way. I'm starting to move away from ubuntu based distros in search of better compatibility since it use to be the more advanced Debian but now seems to hang back on updates and software compared to others. Not sure if that could be affecting it for you or not though.

wait never mind going fullscreen instead of borderless fullscreen eliminates the input delay.

Stop using meme shit distros like Arch, Slackware, Redhat, etc. USE Debian based if you just want games to work.
Secondly, stop using nVidia shit. It's fucking garbage.
But, you won't listen because you're a know-it-all basedboy. So drink bleach and kys

Funny because valve moved from debian to arch for the steamOS but I guess you know better lol!

Not that user but sure lemme just go buy an AMD card during a chip shortage when I already have a RTX 3090, that sounds smart.
I mean, don't get me wrong, my next PC's gonna have AMD hardware, but for now that aint happening.

So Mint is garbage?
And here I've been told all distros are the same, it's just a matter of preference etc.

The reason Mint is 'garbage' imo, is that everything is late. Whatever updates I'm getting now, you're gonna get a year later, maybe.

reddit accounts dont requires emails (when it asks for one just click next). i make multiple throwaway accounts per month

Creator of Athenaeum here, in the process of rebuild and rebranding.
gitlab.com/librebob/athenaeum

I'm looking for ideas/input on what things you'd like to see in a steam-like launcher for Libre/OpenSource games.

Attached: athenaeum_gitlab.png (1000x805, 198.08K)

>using debian
>ever
shit is garbage and u know it

Add compiled from source versions of Worms? and Pinball Contruction Set + some emulator.

My most used steam features lately is the in-home streaming feature that lets me stream to steam links, and steam input for my steam controller.
Also on Athenaeum, do you have the ability to create library categories and custom artwork for games, even non steam games? I use that feature a lot too.

Generally anything I'd suggest would boil down to just "have as many features as native steam as you can"

Arkham Knight crashing after a couple hours is a common issue, try playing shit for once you faggot

This software is mainly for FOSS games, correct? Is it to make finding Libre games easier for people who would otherwise not bother with them?

it works for me here maybe you shouldn't have pirated the game

I want to be able to right click a game and create a library category to put a game in kinda like steam's "create a new collection" feature.

>Is it to make finding Libre games easier for people who would otherwise not bother with them?
Yeah, and to help foster community growth for libre games. There's actually tons of great libre games out there, it's just that nobody really knows about them.

Interesting, I'll definitely note the category feature.

This isn't an open source steam client. It's a steam-like launcher for open source games.

Why is 2048 (a work by a single man made in a weekend) the only free/libre game that went mainstream?

The packaging of software is handled by their respective sources (your distros repo, flatpak, etc)

I have created a few flatpaks though to help developers make their games available.

Mindustry, and Pixel Dungeon are reasonably mainstream and libre.

>Pixel Dungeon
Are the assets for the Steam release free as in freedom as well?

>This isn't an open source steam client. It's a steam-like launcher for open source games.
Ah, I see. Well, in any case, I'd love an in home streaming function.
Say that I have an ACTUAL linux computer that can actually run games, and a raspberry pi in another room that is incapable of running games but does have USB ports and an ethernet connection, I'd like to be able to stream that game over LAN to the raspberry pi and have some kind of (optional and toggleable, so it doesn't interfere with other things like steam input) built in Xinput-like controller binding software.

Granted, I could just do this through steam's in home streaming function, but for the FOSS purists that won't touch steam with a 1000 foot pole, it'd still be a good feature to have.

Yes

So I learned some things about VR
>The lag/poor performance is a frametiming problem on xorg, possibly due to refresh rates idk
>Frametimings is fixed on Wayland though
>Basically as good as Windows
>BUT
>You have to disable vulkan async reprojection to get it to even launch
>You can enable legacy reprojection per application in the options but it will cause your hands to act extra jittery/laggy

Install Gentoo

I would like to do this as well.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

>The lag/poor performance is a frametiming problem on xorg, possibly due to refresh rates idk
>Frametimings is fixed on Wayland though
I FUCKING knew it, guess VR isn't as broken on linux as I thought. Still, I have an nvidia card, so that unfortunately means wayland is a non-starter for me as far as I am aware.

I feel you here. Libre games are usually tiny, incomplete affairs and don't get the kind of support in the Linux ecosystem that other software does. This is a great waste of potential, and perhaps an all-in-one solution can give this part of the free software ecosystem more attention. Then perhaps we can see more games get completed outside of popular roguelikes.

I'd love to see projects like Pioneer Space Sim get more love and resources.

Attached: Pioneer-TommSanctuary2.png (1444x934, 1.19M)

What mental illness is this?

Attached: Untitled.png (1922x1053, 222.94K)

if people put half the effort into libre games that they put into say, minecraft or skyrim mods, we'd have countless AAA quality libre games.

I mean, the question was what features I wanted, that's the first thing that comes to mind, that doesn't mean I expect them to be implemented.

You had to pick the most complicated features ;_;

Reminder that protonDB is full of fucking liars. Don't trust their ratings.

No different than you picking the thickest cocks to lick and suck. Some times you just can’t help it, right?

>only need to recompile my graphics drivers and install this 2 year old version of proton and apply these protontricks configs to get it to work

>>>gold rating