Was Apollo's convoluted soap opera backstory really necessary?

Was Apollo's convoluted soap opera backstory really necessary?

Attached: Apollo Justice.jpg (500x500, 82.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Would it have been better or worse if it was Athena's backstory instead?

>everyone liked apollo's dick ride 6
>everyone hated athena's vagina cave 5
still dont get it, by the shit i read here, you should be as annoyed with him as with her
incel? or just raging homo?
either way if you like 6 but hate 5 your opinion literally doesnt matter

i thought 5 was so-so, but overrated at the time actually (no idea how people feel about it now)
i actually liked athena and blackquill is probably my favorite prosecutor
i thought the final case in aa5 was terrible though
i never played aa6 though and i'm only halfway through dgs right now though i'm really enjoying it even if the first 2 cases were kinda slow and the 4th case was underwhelming
worth it to play aa6? i'm not a huge apollo fan though i appreciate the writer tied in the I'M FIIIINEEEE from aa4 in aa5

>>everyone liked apollo's dick ride 6
6 is my least favorite game in the entire series though. I really don't understand a lot of 5's complaints besides adding Athena, giving Apollo some really important friend out of nowhere (though I don't really have an issue with that), and the story being out of order.

I mean, 5 and 6 are fine, but holy shit why Apollo again

I like SoJ but I hate Apollo. Simple as. And 5 dickrides him hard as well.

Hated both but 6 is still a better game than 5. They're both shit games tho.

They needed to give the character something after how badly they handled him in 4 and 5.

worse

because it's HIS trilogy
I dunno, I think Capcom fucked up bringing Nick back in AA4 at all
japs can't into meaningful continuity

THIS IS NOW A SHOLMES THREAD

Attached: dai-gyakuten-saiban-herlock-sholmes.gif (213x192, 348.66K)

I enjoyed 6 way more than 5, if it can help you

Athena's backstory is perfectly fine for her since she's a tech kid
Apollo should have had Wright's backstory since they're so similar

100% agreed. Phoenix never should've been anything more than a side character that shows up once or twice per game.

More like a fujo franchise can't handle consistent writing. And fuck Capcom.

or at least only act as mentor for the younger attorneys
would have liked seeing one of them face Edgeworth at least once

why did they have to change it from Holmes and Watson when it's clearly present in the Japanese dub?
does Iris call him Shirley in the Japanese text?
what do Hosonaga and Ryunosuke call him in Japanese when they call him "Herr Lock"?
also half the puns on the names are lost on me in this game
might just replay this in Japanese fully, do I need to set my Steam location to Japan and re-install? i was hoping it would be like KEY games where I can toggle languages very quickly

Attached: 1628041952699.jpg (1440x810, 265.5K)

>Its been 5 years since the last AA
Is it dead?

I think it serves the game well even if it feels kind of silly in the wider context of the series, but it set the stage for a fine sendoff for the character so I think it was fine. His backstory in Dual Destinies is worse in my opinion even if it's more grounded because the plot that came of it was shit anyway so trying to get me invested in this guy and his relationship with Apollo when I never even see him just fell flat. It at least feels like there's some emotional weight there with Dhurke.

I think it's just a matter of copyright holders being less likely to get uppity about something that's ina foreign language, like how JoJo used band names forever with no consequence but then when they wanted to translate the PS2 Vento Aureo game problems arose.

It's complicated, basically the way it works is that Sherlock is indeed a public domain character, but not all of his novels are public domain. All novels Doyle wrote and published in America belong to Doyle estate, ergo any references to them are under protection, and DGS does reference them. The way I understand how it works is that Doyle estate doesn't go after local publications, but when you want to publish your Sherlock Holmes media outside of your region they'll demand money. Even BBC's Sherlock had to pay Doyle Estate tax.

What's interesting to me is if USSR tv series had to pay to Doyles.

geeze
I wonder if that's also a similar reason for why 13 Sentinels clearly says "War of the Worlds" in Japanese but all references to it in English just call it "that sci-fi novel" or along those lines
can't wait to see how disney will protect the mouse next year

Could be, but the Doyle estate are fucky lot, they tried to sue Netflix's Enola Holmes because Henry Cavill's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is more in line with later depiction of character Doyle wrote, which they concluded is a breach of intellectual property. This is the kind of arguments they make up to shake anyone using Sherlock Holmes for all their worth.

>is a kid who respects Phoenix Wright for his past
>gets disillusioned after finding out his mentor wasn't who he thought
>also has a special lie detector bracelet or some shit

That was really all you needed. Tweak his backstory so he lived with Jove Justice until Jove died and the bracelet was an heirloom from his mother that he barely remembers because everyone thought she was dead thanks to Magnifi.

You could probably even keep Clay, but actually use him for something instead of post-mortem drama points.

I hate 5 overall, but I have no issue with Athena's backstory and I think Blackquill is based.

Similarly, I hate 6's Khurain bullshit, but I think the cases in Japanifornia (aside from the DLC) are good, even if I hate the rehashed 2-4 nonsense.

>You WILL like Apollo and I don't care how many backstories it will take!
-John Konami

I really need to finish these games.

Uh isn't that a novel?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds

5 was easy as shit and the overarching story with the dark age of the law was simplistic to an annoying degree. They also took out the ability to examine everywhere leading to a dearth of flavor text and fun interactions during the investigations. 6 isn't a literary masterpiece but I think I did a lot of things much better than 5. Also I thought the Apollo backstory in 6 was comparatively better because you at least got to meet Nahyuta and Dhurke while Clay is never alive onscreen outside of flashbacks.

Attached: __maggey_byrde_ace_attorney_drawn_by_oza_watto__df35d9c78b7cbbc31e92ebd10ec6f130.jpg (600x730, 171.62K)

>japs can't into meaningful continuity
DGS did that very well it's just mainline suffers from the writers not letting the characters develop and not being able to explicitly reference past events and use them in the sequels ever

>Apollo now lives all the way across the world
>Phoenix STILL won't tell him that he and Trucy are siblings even though we, the players, have known since 2007
it sucks so fucking much

Attached: 1b4606630c377a3bbf4b6f7c5af2ef5d.png (1000x691, 768.94K)

The director (not Takumi the other one) left Capcom last year...

Attached: __cammy_meele_ace_attorney_and_1_more_drawn_by_kayu__9a409bd5f2b1577f6aa5a28ee982cc90.jpg (1000x1000, 292K)

Yes, in all three games the backstory worked imo. Why is the AA fanbase so dedicated when it comes to shitting on my boy Apollo?

They're all connectedly oddly and it's weird how every game conveniently has a new backstory for him that's relevant to the current events.

It's just funny how he gets three different elaborate backstories that perfectly fit into the events of the current plot while every other AA protagonist only has one.
>my dad was murdered and I became a prosecutor under his murderer
>my girlfriend is a crazy bitch that tried to poison me but through her I got to meet my mentor that helped me become a lawyer
>Ryunosuke doesn't even have a backstory aside from meeting Kazuma at some college competition
Meanwhile Apollo gets THREE origin stories that he of course never even hints at before they become important.

While it wasn't necessary, I think it was handled well and made it me like Apollo after his titular game did nothing for him.

Spirit of Justice is the only Ace Attorney game I never finished. I was really excited to have Maya back in the story too.
Does it get better?

Attached: 1642794959588.png (780x766, 649.08K)

Love him but, he kind of soured my mood in the ending for DGS2

Love 6 and I think 5 is fine. But I can understand some of the complaints people have with these games.

It barely worked because of the lack of memorable moments and meaningful details (the character interactions, the continuity, the tone) connected to the main events, all due to subpar and superficial writing.
Only the most mediocre audience that consume marvel capeshit without question could possiblly be fine with that.

How so?

She's the best Cammy capcom ever made

I was really hoping for something more interesting and less bullshit than a hologram of all things. I also don't like how this feels like Ryunosuke's big moment (the case and pursuit theme that plays have the same name based on his resolve), and yet, it's Sholmes who BTFOs Stronghart

I see. I felt the same at first but in hindsight I don't think that moment takes away from anything that Ryunosuke did. He was the one that spent the entire finale in court solving the case with minimal help whilst the all the hologram did was put the final nail in Stronghart's coffin and stop him from getting away. Sholmes was just sipping tea in the queen and making sure that she got to hear everything that happen through the hologram. Also I thought Sholmes's dance was hilarious.

Well duh these games are made because Takumi loves Sherlock Holmes, not because of self-inserting like the fucking weebs. And the Great Detective should be the one overseeing and assuring the win against the villain, not some greenhorn from a primitive land.

>sipping tea in the queen
l-lewd...

No

>Henry Cavill's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is more in line with later depiction of character Doyle wrote, which they concluded is a breach of intellectual property
Not even that. They argued that Holmes expressing emotions isn't public domain and is part of their intellectual property.

I thought that all the cases were good but the story connecting them is fucked

This.

I fucking love this guy who is either retarded or just pretending to be retarded. I'm in the second case in England with the stabbed woman right now and every time I turn my screen to look around and see him doing some dumb shit there always gets me.

the only major problem with 5 IMO was how handholdy it was, it refused to let you make any connections yourself. 6 was a lot better about that. both games had a good balance of old and new and had good cases.

>why did they have to change it from Holmes and Watson when it's clearly present in the Japanese dub?
Copyright reasons, the Conan Doyle estate has wielded a lot of power with Holmes depictions in America.
Notably they have convinced a judge and jury that any depiction of Holmes which
>Has Holmes Show emotion
or
>Respect women
Can be sued for copyright infringement in the United States, as Holmes's character in the Doyle published books after the First World War (which are still held under the Doyle estate copyright) featured a Holmes which was all of those things.

So since the estate is so annoying, they decided to rename Holmes to 'Sholmes' in reference to a French book 'Herlock Sholmes contra Arsene Lupin' which similarly changed Holmes's name to avoid the Conan Doyle Estate's copyright

Lupin is really underrated. We had 3 character based on him in this series, and people still don't know about the actual character.

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Attached: 1649947327097.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

>people
Retards and uncultured swines you mean. Lupin III and Persona 5 are popular.

He is known alright. Just don't expect much from a franchise pandering to fujo first.

Attached: file Arsène Lupin.jpg (1066x1600, 150.78K)

I see, thanks for the different perspective to this scene. Even if I didn't like that moment much, I still think the overall case is great. And yeah, everytime I think about Sholmes' dance, I can't help but get a slight chuckle from it
Huh, nice to see Takumi put something he enjoys in his game.

>play AA trilogy
>play first two, have fun
>play 3rd, get bored after first (non-tutorial) trial
This was 5 years ago. I even liked Godot but I think I just burned out

Sex with Maggey

>Started playing great ace attorney
>tutorial case is 4 hours long
I honestly don't remember first cases being this long.

Brace yourself and get rid of everything you know about the mainline games. There's a lot of reading in chronicles

Should I be excited or scared

Yeah, that game's first case is the longest one in the series.

It was a better story than the game with his fucking name on it

If you are american I expect you to be scared of reading

Unlike in the classic games, Great Ace Attorney has lots and lots of plot. Took me like 80 fucking hours to finish both games hahaha so strap in user.

Attached: FBgUKUiWQAMlPSA.jpg (926x1200, 302.4K)

buckle up because it doesn't stop feeling like a tutorial until case 4. first great ace attorney game is honestly pretty low tier. the second is pretty good, but i find a bit overrated. (pseudospoilery criticism) the GAA games are reeeeally slow, there feels like a low number of characters (possibly because of the jurors, but then they reuse jurors constantly too), and it's super common for new evidence to just materialist right when you need it, you don't really get the sense of poring over evidence and making clever connections. top tier prosecutor and assistant though.