Square Enix

Can we have a (semi) serious conversation about the state of Square Enix?
What the fuck are they doing? Is FFXIV the only thing keeping them alive at this point?

Attached: Babylon's Fall.png (1009x658, 278.21K)

Pic-related is going to be a massive flop as well.
80 euro lmao

Attached: foreskin.png (976x328, 140.51K)

>save 0%
what a deal!

Ffxiv is a hole they dug themselves into and they cant get out because it prints money but once that game dies its over

>write code
>ctrl + c
>$80 each time you press ctrl + v
piracy should never die

They are too far out of touch with what made them good years ago. Capcom did the same thing and fucked themselves until they got back to their roots which is why they are doing good now. They are at the point where they will soon be beyond saving if they do not rethink game design choices.

They've been shit for longer than they were good at this point. It's over.

stop kvetching

Their new president is a crypto retard

>Open Cheat engine
what now big boi

Yes. This has been the case for the last decade. Did everyone forget they almost went under and then Yoshi-P took on the ffxiv team and that saved them? It wasnt thar long ago in reality.
This compang has constantly struggled and gotten in their own way. Literally all they need do is make great final fantasy games and theyd be set. Stop dabbling in western garbage.

Still looking forward to FF7R part 2

I think it makes sense for them to jettison western IPs and studios and focus on the games that made them great. It does NOT make sense to make those moves and spend the money on blockchain lmao.

I know it doesn’t mean a lot in terms of money but there are so many weird moves from this company - why are the FF pixel remasters not on console? Why do they do excellent updates like Trials of Mana or Legend of Mana and pair that with dog shit like Chrono Cross? Maybe jettisoning those studios will help them focus but I doubt it.

eh they wanted an MMO that'll take over FFXI once it turns to dust. the real question is whether or not SE has a chance of being around once FFXIV hits the twilight phase of its cycle.

>Is FFXIV the only thing keeping them alive at this point?
Not really, they don't gain much from the MMO itself but the cash shop and expansion sales does well, they profit more from their mobiles division. SE doesn't have a bright future ahead of them, right now they are back to the 90s.

No, they also make essentially free money from XI subscriptions and they make a healthy/sustainable profit on titles from subcontracted studios like that one Yoko Taro has to do mobile and card games. It's about enough to offset underperformance of high-profile titles from the main business units.

>they don't gain much from the MMO itself
>and expansion sales does well
what the fuck is this supposed to mean when the fucking base game is free? like, yeah, they make more money from the thing they continue to sell than the thing they don't.

Square has a habit of always having some massive project sucking all available money that absolutely needs to succeed or the company is doomed.
And so they cut and take from every other project making those underperform due to not having resources available to make them better.
And when it doesn't work out clearly the issue is that those games were just shit and instead we ought to make more massive moneyhungry projects because if there's no major hits soon then we're fucked!

Naturally a MMO is supposed to make money based on their subscription like WoW does, but in XIV's case they make a ridiculous amount of money off expansion packs instead. A large sum of players seems to drop off the radar after every second or third month of each new expansion release. That in itself is what is keeping XIV alive, the cash shops is what ultimately makes XIV profitable.

I think you mean Mobile Games
Because all of SE MMO put together only contributed 1/5 of its income

Forgot image

Attached: 1634743425402.png (1113x782, 136.84K)

I think they're doomed. There are good programmers and designers left; it's evident even in some of their flops. But the entire upper management is a disaster and it would be impossible to clean house at this point. Right now they're playing the blame game with various external factors but their excuses will mean nothing once their few remaining cash cows go.

>110€ for 1 game
>Still micro transactions ingame up to 90€
>Doesn't even have localized audio for euros
Where the fuck is that money going?

Their management money grubbing in the most incompetent and transparently insulting ways possible remind me a lot of SEGA

Yes. That game is printing money for them.

Holy shit, do steamies really pay 70€ for digital garbage?

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-03 150506.jpg (1096x509, 115.43K)

All that xiv money has left them desperate for another thing that endlessly prints money and they don't care how many things have to flop before that happens

>snoy
>2022

user, nobody paid for that shit. The game has a 1k concurrent player peak, and is now pulling two digit player numbers.

I only buy games at $20 or less
beyond that I pirate everything

Gonna be a while, since the game hasn't even begun to decline yet, in fact it's still growing.

>and is now pulling two digit player numbers.
Not always...

Attached: over.png (772x307, 42.52K)

Why are MMO players so loud yet so poor?

Tell that to the record number of active characters the latest census data indicated as of April 10th, four months after the expansion launched. Note that these numbers also only include characters that are past the point where the free trial ends, meaning at least some money has been paid for the game.

$89
For a bunch of pretend currency
That unlocks probably less than 1% of a game's content

It's absolutely the single most mismanaged large company in the entertainment industry and a serious contender for the most mismanaged large company in any industry, period. This isn't a new development, either. For almost two decades, they've been coasting along on the massive goodwill the FF series managed to build in the 90s and the fact that the KH fanbase is on the same level of the Sonic fanbase in that they will happily consume any turd as long as it carries the KH brand name.

There is some talent left, but it's concentrated almost entirely within CBU3 (and presumably Horii's division, but DQ is a holy cow for the Japanese at this point and his division probably doesn't represent a stable source of income). The entire rest of the company, from upper management to producers to designers, is comprised entirely of complete retards who got promoted far and away beyond their capabilities when the actual talent around Sakaguchi left the company. If it wasn't a Japanese company, I think there would be some hope left in the long term after a major restructuring, but this will not happen due to Japanese corporate culture. Nobody will ever tell Nomura to get this shit together and stick to some kind of development schedule. Nobody is going to demote or fire absolute retard hacks like Toriyama, who should've spent his entire career at SE cleaning floors and not directing a trilogy of installments for the largest RPG franchise in the world. Nobody is going to challenge Matsuda, the Yuji Naka of company management, and get rid of him before he tanks what's left of the company.

And if it wasn't for CBU3, I would say good riddance like I do to Blizzard dying now; it's not the same company I was attached to in the 90s, aside from the name. But the fact that the dogshit management is going to drag down the division that gives me the first inkling of hope for a good single player FF in 15 years with them is the real tragedy here.

SE wouldn't have existed to make those mobile games without XI and XIV covering the slack though. It says more about how awful SE's track record has been that 2 MMOs and Mobile games essentially bail the company out from bad games again and again and again.

Selling off their Western studios is actually a good move by Square Enix.
Using the money gotten from that to pivot into NFT/blockchain shit is not. It's like for every good thing they do, they have to balance it out with a bad thing.

Imagine having fucking platinum make your game and still flopping this hard

As long as they keep making good dragon quest games, they can fuck around as much as they want. Literally everything else is hot garbage. Remember Gyromancer? And wtf is chocobo gp smoking? DQ11 better not be the last one they make.

Babylon.. falls...

Attached: Babylon.png (1939x1439, 2.23M)

>80€ on steam
>Meanwhile its 60€on ps5
Pc fats really like swalling, heh? Why do people even put up with this digital rented garbage

Is the videogames industry too saturated? Are games exhausted of being treated as costumers?
Is the Second Crash imminent?

Attached: 1640068088405.jpg (2000x1421, 354.47K)

No.

This company literally never ceases to amaze me. I can't wait for flopspoken

sunk cost fallacy.
They claim their game is the only good game (subjective opinion) and the one making the most money (objective statement), but both are false.
Because they're stupid.

someone would really do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Attached: 1637445716356.png (1379x763, 433.63K)

>Is the Second Crash imminent
That will never fucking happen you braindead coomer, there is too much money involved now for it to ever happen

they have a couple gacha games that are probably making bank

Not me, bitch

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-03 155755.jpg (1156x327, 64.46K)

>fucking ebay
>for a game that hasn't come out yet
is the guy just stealing copies and reselling them?

Boomers said the same thing about the TV and now every corpo and their dogs are moving on to destroy the streaming service industry. Crunch/rushed out games to meet the holiday season (boomer ideology) and games-as-a-service are a ticking time bomb.

it's absolutely going to happen, but not because of anything to do with the games themselves. The chip shortage will fuck the industry long before customer dissatisfaction does.

>now every corpo and their dogs are moving on to destroy the streaming service industry
Where? Because all I see is everyone trying to make their own streaming service

Sellers get products cheaper, so they can get their own share on selling them
Did you ever visit a retail store?

yes? The balkanization of streaming is exactly what's killing it.

>excellent updates
>Trials of Mana
kys

But that is not them trying to actively destroy it you dumbass, it's just them trying to create their own venues

Platinum made many flops.

Proliferation destroyed streaming services. Ten years ago it was the solution of having to purchase a cable pack full of shitty channels either you were not interested, or nobody cared/knew about and just for ten bucks.
Now, if you wanna watch stuff from Turner, you gotta pay for HBO Max, if you want stuff from Disney, it's Disney+. Stuff from FOX? Star+. The last two don't even make sense since they're both owned by The Mouse. You're essentially paying $20/$30 (no idea how much they're charging) for two subscriptions to watch content from the same corporation. Add up the fact that now everyone (even Netflix) are trying to make a higher, more expensive ad-free tier and testing multiple household fees in the case of Netflix which you know will translate to every other service if it works out for them and we're essentially back to the pre-Netflix age.

Piracy will come back stronger than ever. And it'll be here to stay.

where was it said that they're intentionally trying to destroy it?

>Selling off their Western studios is actually a good move by Square Enix.
It's a good move for the Western Studios to finally be free from the shackles of the Final Tranny developers who used them as scapegoats when their garbage ass big budget Tranny games didn't sell well.