What games let me experience the immensity of the universe?

What games let me experience the immensity of the universe?

Attached: 1628585222215.jpg (700x700, 78.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.nvidia.com/blog/global-ai-weather-forecaster-makes-predictions-in-seconds/
joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html
youtube.com/watch?v=87ipqf0iV4
youtube.com/watch?v=87ipqf0iV4c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

None, honestly. Everything either has nothing interesting out there or pretends every planet has ET life.

>you are here, paying taxes to pedophiles

Elite Dangerous for the Milky Way.
Space Engine for the universe.
Kerbal Space Engine for the solar system.
No Man's Sky for a fictional universe.

I would suggest mass effect

How did they take an image of the galaxy that far then?

Attached: gigachad crazy.jpg (941x1080, 71.32K)

Just look at your mom's ass

Oh hey, another science thread. Last one was kino

That’s a lot larger than I thought

They just put a huge mirror next to it

it's free to play but takes a lot of practice

Attached: medit8.jpg (578x588, 60.89K)

Artist's interpretations of the milky way seem very consistent but I can't find a source that actually defined the look.

Event Horizon, the same telescope(s) that took a picture of the black hole is announcing groundbreaking discovery about the center of our galaxy on the 12th May.

Sagitarus A* pictures incoming?

Thats a light reflection of what the galaxy looked like millions of years ago user

woah. the universe sure is fascinating!

>Artist's interpretations
How do they know what it looks like
>It took a MILLION years to make this image
lmao ok

I'm going back to video games.

Attached: gigachad contempt.jpg (400x400, 18.09K)

Scientists don't know if it's going to rain tomorrow, but trust le science to know about the universe! Space is totally huge bro, whoa!

>you will never ever visit any of these galaxies
Truly saddening.

Attached: edu_what_is_hubble3.jpg (320x319, 15.56K)

>How do they know what it looks like
Based on all the data we have and the observations of other spiral galaxies.

Space is much more static that weather

They're mostly empty space so you aren't really missing out, being inside of one would make it invisible.

Attached: 1575736140559.png (323x291, 13.16K)

>There's green pussy out there I will never get to stick my dick in

Attached: SxcA2B9MyJoh2YkpsTJaUg.jpg (800x673, 47.74K)

Elite dangerous makes space travel as boring as it actually would be.

>you will never see a bunch of rocks/ a bunch of gas x 10000000000
nooooo so sad

The universe is too big, it's fucking bullshit. Like, every time I hear "the universe" be mentioned in any media I roll my eyes due to the fucking sheer scale of it. Even the galaxy is too big, like way too god damn big

AI can predict the weather better than any human models, it might be a solved problem soon.
developer.nvidia.com/blog/global-ai-weather-forecaster-makes-predictions-in-seconds/

Programmerchads win again.

>They're mostly empty space
No they aren't user, some of them are 2-3 times the size of our galaxies with 2-3x the amount of stars and just as many or more planets.

>Kerbal Space Engine
Some day

Here's a cool scale model of our solar system and just how fucking empty it is.

joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Retard

>The proportion of a galaxy that is empty of regular baryonic matter is staggering. The volume of the Milky Way is ~17 trillion cubic light-years. The volume of all the stars in the Milky Way is less than one 100-millionth of a single cubic light-year.
>It’s hard to get clear in our mind’s eye just how little space the stars occupy compared to the size of the galaxy. Another way of visualizing it is to line up all of the stars in a galaxy and see how long the line would be.
>Assuming each of our 200 billion stars has a diameter of five light-seconds, laid end to end, they would form a line 32,000 light-years long – about a third of the diameter of the Milky Way.
>Recall that the Milky Way is a circle 100,000 light-years across. Our line of suns is just 5 light-seconds wide.
>That stellar line is also only five light-seconds deep, compared to the Milky Way which is 1,000 light-years deep. In other words, our ‘flat’ galaxy could fit more than six billion suns stacked one on top of the other!
Space really is just empty space even at planetary scales.

Also Outer Wilds for solar system scale.

There are still hundreds of billions of stars in other galaxies user. Just because they are all contained within a large space doesn't mean they are empty.

Assuming that the minimum number of planets orbiting a star is at least 1 you have the potential of hundreds of billions of other planets.

These planets in other galaxies could have life, they could have diffent recourses that we don't have on earth. Different laws of physics, different particles and many other possible new discoveries.

Just thinking of it as empty space is retarded.

I'm hyped, all I hope is that they don't fuck up modding support.
youtube.com/watch?v=87ipqf0iV4

Attached: 1640522663463.jpg (750x481, 97.04K)

The more I learn about the universe the more depressed I get. Lovecraft was kind of right, were all just insignificant specks in the grand scheme of things

youtube.com/watch?v=87ipqf0iV4c
I messed up the link.

Attached: 1634291723008.jpg (1920x817, 385.16K)

I've been holding off playing Kerbal so I can experience the better version. Hope it comes out soon.

Actually, real space travel would be even more boring. In Elite, you can jump 30-60 light years at a time. You can cross the galaxy in a week or so of playtime if you play consistently. Real space travel would be months just to reach places in our own solar system.

Attached: unknown.png (1329x746, 1.64M)

Spore.

Attached: Sporebox.jpg (265x377, 66.25K)

How would you make a game that is solely about exploring the universe, Yea Forums?

You're missing the point. It's "empty" as in the vast distances between celestial bodies.

Make so you can easily travel quickly across it, the thing that kills exploration in Elite Dangerous is the amount of time and repetitive jumps you have to make to travel far.

Well obviously, this is just space in general.

Fly to the outermost limits of the Milky Way in Elite Dangerous and look out into the void of intergalatic space. All the stars you see in the night sky are stars in our galaxy. Once you're beyond those, there is nothing. The distances are too vast to see anything beyond the occasional tiny dot of another distant galaxy. There are no individual stars, nothing but blackness with no guarantee that you would ever hit anything if you just headed off in a random direction.

Attached: Elite - Dangerous (CLIENT) 2020-09-21 6_51_38 PM.png (1920x1080, 714.07K)

ED is only the Milky Way, they didn't add anything beyond that.

ED is not a game, it's an experience best experienced with high quality video, audio and peripherals.
Listening to the landing and hangar-entering sequence is orgasmic, 11/10 audio across the entire game.

I feel the exact opposite. Travel is what gives to universe in ED scale, what makes travelling past Colonia risky (resource management, taking the gamble on quasar supercharging), and what makes exploration viable as a source of profit. To gradually upgrade travel speeds is one thing, but the treck should never be trivialized to fast travel or it loses all the appeal it had in the first place.

>one day the universe will expand so much that we won't be able to observe it any more

Attached: 3213123.png (1106x553, 384.04K)

Yes but it would be much better if there wasn't as many jumps between sysrem to get anywhere outside the bubble and beyond. Even in a jumpaconda you are still spending hours where you do nothing but jump from system to system.

And that is just our galaxy, imagine if ED was the entire universe lol. You would have to spend months of non stop jumping just to get somewhere. And considering once you are out of a galaxy you have very few stars to jump to so you would have to fly in a straight line through the void for a few more months.

What am i looking at here?

Mass Effect

Dumb frog, we are moving along with it. Only the most distant stars and galaxies will become unsevrvable. The furthest ones we see now have already moved out of observation, we are just seeing the light from billions go years ago.

Attached: 13252356272623.jpg (1280x720, 93.37K)

>paying taxes
Lol
Lmao

At the least there should be wormholes scattered around, especially between galaxies.

Travel lines of someone who has explored a hell of a lot of the Milky Way in Elite Dangerous. By comparison, this is my amount of exploration over two years or so of fairly steady playing. Of course, the game is a 1:1 scale model of the Milky Way, which is over 100k light years across, and in-game hyperjumps typically are in the 60ly range for explorer ships, so you get the idea.

Attached: Screenshot (773).png (1331x742, 1.19M)

Star Control 2

Nowhere you can travel to, but the skybox does include various local galaxies and the Magellan Galaxies. But really if you were to travel to the edge, that's what you'd see. Nothing. There's too much distance to see anything with the naked eye. Intergalactic space is the true void.

why do we get this thread every day? also star control 2.

Attached: SC2Starmap.png (1296x999, 267.59K)

the human mind is incapable of truly understanding how large the universe actually is.

Even intergalactic space has its clusters and voids.
A depressing game about a rogue planet in a void would be cool, I don't think that's a setting I have seen before.

Attached: 1637219344400.png (1475x1211, 1.66M)

what's even more depressing is that there are areas of the universe so distant it is actually impossible to visit them due to the expansion of space.

Hyperspace bump