PSO2 NGS

Well this was a disappointment.

Attached: 210426_4_4.jpg (830x369, 90.98K)

should I play this or psobb on ephinea?

>tfw the latest pre-recorded stream from the 28th was 80% gacha instead of the usual 50%
BB or maybe PSU if that's in a good state. I still haven't gotten around trying to the latter.

Attached: 1397970061447.jpg (279x252, 23.48K)

Completely different games
PSO:BB if you can deal with dated gameplay and want to feel like an explorer, discovering a new world filled with danger and mystery while experiencing quest lines with moral and philosophical undertones
PSO2 and PSO2 NGS if you want great, fun gameplay, but a dumb harem anime world with none of the depth, mystery or beauty
PSU and PSP are the same though, once the anime shit got in in PSU the franchise was ruined.

>dumb harem anime world with none of the depth, mystery or beauty
What a fat fucking lie. PSO2 world is just as much sci-fi cosmic horror as PSO1 is.
Except episodes 4 and 5 that is.

I disagree entirely. The problem is the character designs, writing and voice acting, which are all anime-like with an overall lighter tone. This mixed with the deluge of gacha systems and lobbies full of big tiddy whores makes it a very hard game to recommend, and I say this as someone who played and enjoyed it on the jap servers on launch. It's a shame since the gameplay was so tight and especially at the time unmatched compared to other MMOs or general multiplayer RPG games.

PSO1 does have a darker, more "doomsday"-ish feel to the shit going on in it before ep4(which just kinda seemed like whatever, and why the fuck are you still alive kireek) though, to be fair. Even before the matter board system was trashed, PSO2 never really has any strong sense of exploration or urgency either.
Prior user's still overselling the living fuck out of it for some reason though.

PSO1 is as much anime as PSO2.
It's not darker, it just has less polygons and lower resolution textures.
t. played PSO1 recently and don't have nostalgia goggles for it

Attached: PSO_art.jpg (1280x710, 172.27K)

what version of PSO did you play

>JP pso2 has been going fine for years
>PSO2 gets released in America
>Instantly ruined by Americans
Why did they punch themselves in the face?

Attached: 1650440244115-updated.jpg (1400x1321, 1.47M)

>a darker, more "doomsday"-ish feel to the shit going on in it
Calm down and properly read a post before you get your knickers in a twist user. That wasn't talking about the graphics.

Emulated Dreamcast.

you're playing a fashion gacha dressup game, not a pso game user.
may is a dead month though which is why a part of it is just a kvaris trailer. not excited for the event or mining: retem but i'm excited for the free hover dash. they're giving out some welfare armor in the event too suggesting this is a catch up event in a game where it is very easy to catch up
i pray the pso2 anniversary in june is better

Attached: 1649558903621.png (1684x947, 1.79M)

What are your thoughts on it? It was a formative game experience for me. Probably my favorite ever. Returning to private servers today doesn't feel the same since it's autismos who've broken down and understand the game completely and just do TTF runs all day.

please at least censor that bananana pic, i was eating

Attached: 1651466426837.png (1071x768, 115.46K)

How is anything in PSO1 "more doomsday-ish" than planet-sized cosmic monstrosity?

Attached: Falz-Planet.jpg (1281x721, 426.05K)

>Ep 5 which was literally just the Jap Highschool Filler Arc
this is so wrong it hurts

I see the appeal but controls and menus didn't age too well. I imagine it's even worse on PC.
PSP2i feels like the perfect version of "classic PSO" that doesn't actively fight against you playing it, while retaining the old school approach to game design.

Because the presentation never makes it feel particularly urgent. It's got the right elements, but execution isn't nearly as well done.
Compare... well, basically anything in PSO2 except maybe Shiva continually steamrollering everybody, to the creepy-ass mine delve quest where you find out about de rol le's origins before fighting it. Even as sparse as text is in PSO1, it just builds up and pays off way better.

>PSP2i
Oh yeah, it recently got an english patch, yeah?

don't care about anything above this post.
favorite class in any phantasy star game and what makes you autistic over it

Attached: 1647632508141.jpg (1024x1280, 299.46K)

>recently
Like a couple of years ago

The character designs were anime, but the world and writing did not feel that way. I wonder if part of the reason is the lack of voice acting and simpler visual design - much like for example the lower graphical fidelity of the first Silent Hill worked in it's favour.
Nostalgia goggles are the main reason to play it though, I doubt you could "get" it or feel the atmosphere as much coming into it as a jaded adult. Hell, even skipping the opening cinematic would ruin the experience.

Because it's just an anime big bad that gets routinely destroyed as it shows up as EQ
Everything feels inconsequential and cynically made in PSO2, it's a game made for trannies who want to play dress-up mostly

>PSP2i feels like the perfect version of "classic PSO"
Totally. PSP series is awesome and what PSU should've been.

I'd like to see Sega let RGGS off the yakuza assembly line and see what they'd do with a Phantasy Star.

Spyro and Crash

In PSO1, the colony ship sent before your ship was wiped out. You, a random no name spends the entire game exploring areas the previous colonists left behind, trying to find out what happened.
Then you finish the game battling dark falz on top of the prior colonist's screaming corpses.
Anything doomsday-ish in PSO2 is averted by [you], the anime protagonist with the power of friendship. It's a different feel.

episode 1-3 is kino, you get to watch yourself become so butthurt that you become [you] and start the cycle over since the only thing that will ever have solace in [your] life is when you get to the part where you kill [you], and then you get to finally be the you that tells [you] you don't give a shit and will break the cycle, basically cucking [you] out of the peace of death and instead being damned to a endless existence of hatred and suffering

if the game were dark I would get to kill Gettumhult Before he goes full retard and Matoi without having to restart so faggots can have their c tier waifu

It wasn't supposed to end like this bros...

Attached: 1550894233814.webm (1600x1600, 3M)

End Phantasy Star Online... Return to Phantasy Star
Seriously, a new single player game trying to cash in on the Xenoblade hype could work, if Sega could do a good job that is.

Attached: 88a83998540c61981ecb34e3bbdf2104.jpg (640x448, 80.74K)

You put into words what's so hard to describe about PSO
It has that same bleakness that the original Phantasy Star games had and that set them apart from FF and other series
Never gonna happen, Xenoblade has the same anime problem, japs would have to find their balls again first

I liked Ranger in PSZ...

>ruined by Americans
ruined by HMZK above all else. All Global does is hurt itself.

that would be cool, specially if they do it like xenoblade 2

pso1 was definitely anime inspired, but it wasn't full-blown moe shit with featureless shovel faces and bug eyes that take up 80% of the face. saying it is similar to pso2 is disingenous, there are many different anime styles

gemma taters being the face of the community makes me roar with laughter every time

I just wanted to play comfy Phantasy Star after waiting for years since the closing of PSU... I hate this gay earth..

Sega should license the PS IP to SE and get the Octopath devs to make an HD-2D game.

>HD-2D game.
I think these games look like ass, I have no idea why people go crazy over them

Did it ever release on the switch in the west

No, Microsoft owns the western localization.

>Want to try NGS
>See the filesize
>Nope.jpg

>That's why we can't get it on Switch
It all makes sense now

Elden Ring was enough of a runaway success that I hope every every gaming executive is asking why they don't have one of those.

I want Phantasy Star to be exploring a dead planet with claustrophobic dungeons and 1-4 player optional co-op. Please.

episode 1-3 is the best part of PSO2 for sure, voluntarily trapping yourself in a time loop for the profound darkness UQ was great

Why would square work on another company's IP when they don't even have the manpower to maintain their own franchises?

is PSO2 original no longer available?
I only see NGS on steam

They're both in the same client. Your character can transfer between games freely.

PSPortable remake when?

>Licence the PS IP to SE
are you out of your fucking mind? Square can't be trusted with new games nowadays, unless they're a remake/remaster. And even so, they still manage to fuck them up

>SEGA lets Nintendo port their Sonic games, the rival to mario
>SEGA lets SE remake PS, the "Rival" of FF (and both series were released on the same year too look it up)
sounds about right actually. SEGA bros eternally cucked.

It's more about presentation. PSO1 EP1 & 2 feel like a decent into the heart of darkness, trying to unravel a mystery with each revelation making things worse and worse. And at the end of it all, while you saved the day you still failed your secondary goal. Sure you stopped Dark Falz but you were never able to reach Rico in time to save her, or Flowen. It gives the game this melancholic tone to it.

PSO2 has a lot of the window dressing of something close to that tone but just never really manages to hit the mark. Part of that is just the method of presentation of it's story vs PSO1. PSO1 lets you fill in the blanks yourself on the story due to the vast majority of its story being presented in just datalogs left by Rico as you follow her trail and environmental storytelling. PSO2 can't really do environmental storytelling because all of its zones were just tilesets randomly spliced together and having actual cutscenes leave out the ability for the player to come to their own conclusions. I think the EP1-3 anime does do a much better job at hitting that darker tone the series always flirted with. All that being said in fairness to PSO2 its story is more meant to be an inverse to PSO1. EP1-3's main story objective is literally trying to prevent the pyrric victory of killing Matoi as PD's host to save the universe which is meant to echo how you had to kill Dark Falz and with it Rico to save Pioneer 2. Its about saving your Red Ring Rico this time.

To add to this, the tons of pop ups, dumb voice over announcements, constant running ads on all screens, stamp collection screens and all that other bullshit make playing PSO2 downright unbearable. It's like watching TV with ads every five minutes vs. watching a movie, completely destroys any immersion and caters exclusively to the type of gamer that just wants to mindlessly grind and be constantly stimulated without immersing themselves into the game. It's a consumerist nightmare really.

jet boots bouncer being able to fly around and kick things while still casting magic is fun

Everything NGS tried to do gameplay wise, DDON did better

>Cloud

I wish every fucking piece of shit studio, developer, and publisher would stop this shit right now before it ever goes anywhere. Even with google fiber this shit is unplayable unless you're the lowest drooling shit eating 40iq consoomer casual with non working arthritically crippled hands with no ability to sense or feel timing and delay differences.

Even with japans internet infrastructure this shit has to feel absolutely awful. What kind of moronic brainlet would you have to be to ever consider playing a cloud based game. The shit is unplayable, I speak from personal experience. This isn't just a "little bit of delay" this is worse than Smash Ultimate online kind of delay, under the best fucking possible circumstances.

AND EVEN IF YOU GET THIS going good, your ISP will fucking murder your bills for this. This shit is a fucking jew ploy for more control, and only hurts the consumer, not the pirate once again.

More or less . If SEGA release this game a lot earlier like 2015-2017 instead of fucking now, we would have a different team that wouldn't have shit like gwiz censoring and banning players.

I just wish when NGS enters EP2 that it stops being so deadset on speedrunning its narrative as fast as fucking possible because NGS has like, all the seeds planted that could have grown into actually a decent story but it just fumbles the execution because the story has zero chance to ever actually breath. A trio of heroes going on a journey with the intent of defeating a seemingly unstoppable force of nature in Dark Falz after it nuked their home off the face of the planet is a great story hook but you had like 4 minutes to enjoy Aelio Town so its just hard to give a shit about it getting glassed. Chapter 1 should have been completely about hanging out in Aelio Town and doing work between them and the ARKS at Central City with climax being Falz nuking the town at the end of the chapter so you at least have time to even learn to care about it before wiping it out. But beyond all that I just wish SEGA wasnt allergic to world building after PSU. You could have made like, lore and codex entries a collectable in the open fields just as a little something extra to do that isn't just blasting mobs and learn a bit about the actually well decorated and crafted zones they made and its people. They dont need to have a 300 hour main story questline like FFXIV or anything, just something extra there for people who want to care about the world. PSU had a full lore codex you could access from the terminal in your room that just gave you a whole bunch of lore on the setting and it was actually really interesting.

troons would always enter the gaming landscape no matter what user. you have to cut it at the root not release pso2 earlier.

Global still would have been trash. There isn't a single time the western release wasn't butchered or didn't mismanage itself into an early grave.

Does the normal Jap even play on the cloud blocks unironically? Seems like a wasted investment although I do see people on there.

>Another fucking thread
I'm convinced a schizo is making these

You will have daily stealth vg PSO2 threads now.

there are datapads that have tons of lore shit they just are disabled and after retem I think were completely removed from the data? the director has no idea what the fuck hes doing and needs to be publically executed