What is the appeal of turn based RPGs?

what is the appeal of turn based RPGs?

Attached: 1431087932ff7.jpg (800x600, 83.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1QMrQ1QcYW4
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb9370H9ASM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they fun

Mechanically simple gameplay. Simple character progression. At the time permitted for cool 3D cutscenes like magic attacks and summons.

Perfect genre to play while multitasking

Not turn-based, it's ATB lmao noob

Chill calm cool and comfy

fuck you

there was a time where it was the only possible combat system, but nowadays theyre intolerable.

>Love Turnbased RPGs
>As soon as they add movement I hate them
Am I the only one? I feel like the movement and positioning just makes fights more tedious and lowers the spectacle. Maybe Divinity Original Sin has more complex battles than FF7, but theyre a lot lamer

Attached: artworks-000110845048-ztbbtm-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 58.74K)

They usually have a deep world and in depth storyline which even if it isn’t great, it’s nice to immerse yourself in a new world

I dunno by FF7 is the best game of all time.

People with poor reflexes can play them.

Sometimes its the combat itself because of some quirk to the combat like Paper Mario, Grandia, and Radiant Historia. Sometimes its more about the character customization system like most FF games. Sometimes its more because its difficult requiring good strategic play like SMT.
In FF7's case for example the combat itself is very basic but Materia is a fun character building system.

>10 niggas on a grid

Attached: 1632047816575.jpg (800x1135, 168.4K)

comfy games to play in bed or on a handheld

Yeah, Yea Forums hates turn based RPGs, Yea Forums hates Elden Ring, hates fighting games, hates Dragon's Dogma, hates fanservice. What the hell *does* Yea Forums like? Call of Duty? Fortnite? League of Legends?

>Mechanically simple gameplay.

For most Jap ones sure. Western turn by turn RPGs and even Japan dungeon focused games have complex mechanics. Especially those that try to exactly replicate real life pen and paper RPG mechanics.

For me its getting that fucklers combo where you destroy the enemy

KYS redditard

Make me, bitch.

Attached: asia.jpg (515x466, 34.17K)

I don't have to have good reflexes to be good like in fps or mobas.
Just relaxing methodical grinding to become op.

No it isn't

Attached: su.webm (540x960, 742.47K)

based but also cringe

Customizing parties and characters is fun.

Attached: SaGa Frontier_2021-04-24-08-51-40.jpg (1892x1080, 299.27K)

Dislike them too.

Based. Keyed and upvoted, friendo.

Attached: Testament_Guilty_Gear_Strive.jpg (1000x1150, 186.13K)

Making decisions where 3/4 the win is in preperation and the last 1/4 is in an RNG diceroll. You pick an action and if there are consequences, mitigate them

I only like JRPGs that include a turbo or fast-forward function. The filler animations I can do without, making the action and consequence instant does wonders for my enjoyment. Keeps shit moving along.

Attached: Frieren kill.png (1114x1600, 1.08M)

>difficult requiring good strategic play like SMT
SMT is neither difficult or "strategic". Building an entire game around vulnerabilities is a bad mechanic because they not only dictate what moves you should use at all times, but also how you should build your party. As a result it all locks you into a bottleneck of spamming the same few optimal tools each time, simply rewarding you with additional actions by doing something you should already be doing (hitting weaknesses and scoring crits).

>Materia is a fun character building system
By being 90% copypaste, redundant, and worthless garbage that's overshadowed by a singularly best definite answer? Or is gimmicky status a example of "fun".

It's reasonable to dislike mechanical complexity if combat is more of a sidedish of an adventure for you.

I can smell her daddy issues

half of the gameplay comes from seeing your decisions made during character development come into fruition

That this filters ADHD minors.

This

I don't know if you're wrong necessarily because I'm new to MegaTen, but that has not at ALL been my experience with SMT V, much less so playing on hard mode. Speaking purely from experience, that game forces me to strategize the best path and turn timing around vulnerabilities and will usually penalize some form of spamming without careful foresight on defense, buffs, party order, and item use. I have not found myself relying on one specific demon more than any other (though I have a penchant for Black Frost because he's fucking strong mid-game onward).

I think the Press Turn system is really fun because it turns battles and demon recruiting into one huge puzzle that requires you to observe and understand enemy patterns, even if they become predictable over time. There's also unique gimmicks and specific battles that will fuck your press turns if you're not careful (Fionn Mac Cumhall, I'm lookin at you).

SMTV is much better than the previous games.

You say that juggling 6 elemental types, physical attacks and support while constantly shuffling your party around with fusion is somehow a trivial matter. Might as well reduce Super Mario into timed jump inputs.

Mechanically? That would make sense. It has also taken me wayy too long to realize that I should've invested in Almighty skills more starting in the mid-game. Oh well.

I am saving up nearly all my glory, spending as little as i can on Magatsuhi centric miracles, and just grinding out levels to barely keep my nose above the surface for some of these late game bosses. I spend most of my time just doing quest runs all over the place to make sure I have enough macca to get some good fusions toward the endgame.

I love the lore so much. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale, but I've taken my time with it and just savored the experience and man, if Pokemon was even a little bit more like this game in terms of monster design and gameplay loop, I would be a fucking addict.

numbers go up

Comfort food genre.

The level design is, combat and fusion mechanics are on par with SMT4 Apocalypse. Story is fucked up in a bad way.

I like simple combat myself, a battle of stats. Action combat is cool and all but sometimes I just wanna watch some numbers move around on my own time.

same poster from >Story is fucked up in a bad way

For shame! I'm only a first time Megatenner and I'm about 65% in. The story hasn't quite gripped me as much as just the background lore. I hope to play Nocturne and 4/Apocalypse some day (even though it's gonna suck without the QOL and with random battles), since people always express high praise for the stories of those.

>6 elemental types
4 which do the exact same thing or in a terrible case like Nocturne have objectively better variations with Ice and Wind. Hama/Mudo don't deal damage in the bad SMT's.

>physical attacks
Do the same thing but have bonus modifiers attached.

>and support
Which is broken.

> somehow a trivial matter
It is.

I've seen praise for IV, but not necessarily for Nocturne. To my knowledge, the story in Nocturne is rather minimalistic

It depends. If the system is SRPG-style, IE: the game is focused around longer battles on an open field like that, movement is essential.
For a typical JRPG though, all it does is bog the game down by making combat take longer than it should for no good reason.

Omni-slash go shpshsh spsh shpew shpsh shpshe pow boom

4 and 4A don't have random battles either. Story in 3 is minimal in exposition as well, but it's handled much better and is quite atmospheric as a result. 4A is a bit divisive in writing as well. For me it's poor fanfiction that's all over the place in tone.

same thing unless you're a slowfag

For SMT and pretty much any turn based game the strategy is making the most optimal move.. Its no different than say how in fighting games there is always 1 combo string you should have done to deal the most possible damage at any given moment.
Strategy and creativity are at opposite ends of each other, because strategy is rigid in its execution.

So, you admit it isn't turn based, but claim that it is... You also believe women are men that are women but sex doesn't matter so why use words to define anything when anything means everything? Am I right in your logic so far?

i'm real and you don't need to take your meds

It's sometimes nice to play games that aren't too physically active.

Meh. I only ever take meds when I take 5x the amount I'm supposed to and chug liquor on top of them. I don't know what normies use meds for. When do you take meds?

>combat and fusion mechanics are on par with SMT4 Apocalypse
Aka much, much better than the previous games.

That's not true of any good turn-based or fighting game.

>Never played Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Get a load of this fuckin' guy. This game is perfection and nothing about it needs to change.

You'll never get something more perfect for it's time.

Pretty much agree. Chill and comfy but required some strategy/critical thinking that was very rewarding. The pay off is the narrative.

I have a brain cyst compressing my cerebellum and can't play most games requiring quick reflexes or complex movement. Turn based games are very enjoyable for me.

fuck meant to post youtube.com/watch?v=1QMrQ1QcYW4

Ugh I'm retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb9370H9ASM

JRPG fans everyone.

Attached: 1632664158537.jpg (689x720, 297.31K)

Skinner boxes for brainlets.

I grew up playing them for the story cause they usually had a more interesting story compared to other games, and now I just enjoy autisming over stats and party/builds and also it's a good way to practice Japanese (usually text-heavy games with a big industry in Japan)

Attached: download.jpg (200x240, 8.73K)

The story and the party management, basically. Although in the case of FFVII you had also all sorts of minigames other than smash X to win.