>nintendo reinvented the platforming genre with mario
>microsoft reinvented the fps genre with halo
>sony reinvented the ?????????

Attached: index.png (282x179, 4.37K)

souls-like
which mogs platformers and fps in both skill and fun

movies

>>nintendo reinvented the platforming genre with mario
they just copied pac land and ghosts and goblins both of which are superior games.

Shovelware and movies.

The racing sim with Gran Tourismo.

I hate to say it, but the wii was the console that came the closest to revelutionalizing shovelware. Unless you count the mobile market

the "cinematic" game, discount mario, and turning a pretty fun ps2 mascot game into a mainstream furry icon

Attached: 1590406164754.jpg (958x533, 28.78K)

I was gonna be an ass and say movie-game but you have a point.

Adventure games with uncharted/last of us.

Dragon's Lair came out in the 80's user.

Video games as movies

Tell me where the actual adventure is in those games. They are linear and off very little exploration.

Demons wasnt untill ps3 and was niche as fuck untill DS. Didn't mog a damn thing.

Xbox also revolutionized online multiplayer. On pc with Quake and UN it was always just a server browser run by different people with different performances and different rules. If you wanted to play with friends you either had to share the IP or look for the server in the browser.
With Xbox Live it was just quick play. Just I wanna play, find me other people. And with friend you could just lobby up and never be broken up.

What you think is irrelevant.
And I'm not saying that they improved the genre either.
I'm just saying that they redefined it such that everybody else is following that shitty 3rd person walking simulator formula.

Was mario that big of a deal before SMB3? The megadrive was out by the time it came out in the states so I assumed no one would've cared if it wasn't a 10/10 nes release.

>microsoft reinvented the fps genre with halo
what kind of zoomer fuck do you have to believe this?
by "reinvented" do you mean casualized and made the genre a joke by appealing to consolefags with controllers? because you're right, Halo was a pretty big cancer on the industry for a good while

Smb1 was huge ya damn zoomer

every NES console was shipped with super marios/duck hunt you underage

>Was mario that big of a deal before SMB3
Retard, Donkey Kong and the SMB were massive

>>nintendo reinvented the platforming genre with mario
>>microsoft reinvented the fps genre with halo
The only people who think this are retards who think that games didn't exist before they discovered them.

Nobody likes arena shooters you fucking boomer. If people really liked them then they wouldn't be completely dead. QC, Quake Live, and Quake 3 probably have 900 active players combined. Why do you think boomer shooter singleplayers are coming back but not mp arenas
Nobody want to play with you, the moment a faggot joins the game it sucks out all enjoyment of the game

you're an idiot. halo pretty much paved the way of regenerating health and 2 weapon swapout cycle for the next generation of fps.

Attached: zoom zoom.jpg (480x360, 14.55K)

Dark souls is multi platform. Demon's souls didn't reinvent shit since hardly anyone played it back then.

They just copied Winback and then made it worse though.

They didn't even do what you said though, that was already done by Rare with goldeneye.

I know this thread is bait, but I'll bite.
It USED to be:
>Nintendo was the platform for quality, consistent first party titles. Their partnership with Rare being a lightning in a bottle exception, pretty notoriously hard to work with for third party games.
>Sony was the third-party title wonderland, and although this equated to a huge pile of shit, there are numerous third-party studios that grew huge from their titles becoming huge hits on the PS1/PS2.
>Microsoft joined in late, and outside of 1 big game, Xbox truly struggled to get a foothold.
>Sega lol

Since the 6th generation, it's basically turned into a tug of war between Sony and Microsoft over who has the best computer box, with Nintendo breaking off to focus on making quirky shit that tests innovation in what a console can be beyond just a box with a gamepad, to varying degrees of success. The tug of war between the former two tends to flip flop depending on different factors each generation.
The 360 would have folded Microsoft in the gaming department and they never would have made another console, if PS3 didn't bungle it's launch so bad and cost a stupid amount of money comparatively

Piracy.
PS1 was very successful because its games were easily pirateable.

Couldn't deny that shit.
All my collections of PS1 & PS2 are pirated VCD/DVD.

spbp

paid demos and shitty ports

GnG and Super Mario Bros were like 2 months apart, given SMBs scale for the time it's doubtful GnG really impacted its design.

sorry but that crown forever belongs to PC. there is a reason why consoles dominated for the longest time and it's because how easy it was to pirate/emulate.

What the fuck did Sony even do? lmao

*on the pc

Sony through it’s games

>SoTC is the father of most open world games today, inspired BotW and Elden Ring
>MGS stealth genre/cinematic experience
>Kingdom Hearts action RPG
>FF7 3D turn based RPG
>Souls Series 3D metroidvania gameplay/level design
>God of War/DMC the hack/slash action story game that made demons/gore mainstream

There’s so much shit

Also recently Marvel’s Spiderman JUST reinvented the Comic Book hero genre and is the standard now

Name a platform game that predates Donkey Kong. For as much as Nintendo gets accused of stealing ideas and repacking them with more mainstream appeal you can't argue that they invented the sidescrolling jumping game.

Space Panic isn't a platformer.

>3d metroidvania in 2009
>metroid prime was made in 2002
You missed the mark there buddy. And as others pointed out, demon souls didnt revolutionize shit since it wasnt until dark souls that the series started having an actual impact

Super Mario Bros singlehandedly saved games industry in the USA. It was that big

Ah dam forgot about metroid prime, that was good shit and waaay ahead of its time

MGS was Konami, DMC was Capcom, Kingdom Hearts and FF7 was Square Enix. Over half of that list weren't even Sony's works.

>reinvented
fuck off, that one goes to batman

Most of this shit is literally third party.

sony reinvented the movie by having it be somewhat interactive

Nope, Souls didn't get popular until Dark Souls, which is a Bamco IP.

>what is dragons lair

Nintendo in the 90s
>you WILL play MARIO
Sega in the 90s
>you WILL play SONIC
Sony in the 90s
>you WILL play whatever you want lol

I miss when Sony used to be like that...

Attached: DUiUyTqX0AEHCXT.jpg (790x600, 52.56K)

>All these retards listing 3rd party franchises and acting like they're a Sony achievement

Sony was the first multimedia console with the PlayStation, yeah, I know, not really gaming-related.

Ah you’re right bros. So the one thing is maybe the wireless controller/siaxis…dual shock/rumbling. I’m not trying to argue or looking this up for the sake of arguing, just posting from memory growing up

smb is more about samey forgettable levels, gng is about quality over quantity.

Well I did list SotC and GOW but you dipshits ignore that. It’s the same as fuckin always, ignore a correct answer and nitpick the others for the sake of reaffirming a narrative. This is why other men fuck your wife

nah, powerslave was ahead of its time doing the whole metroid prime thing on the sega saturn. metroid prime just did it a lot worse.

DVD player by putting ps2 games on it

xbros are the worst fucking faggots

>microsoft ruined the fps genre with Halo
Fify.

Sony swept up all the smaller companies. No more Atari, NEC/Hudson, 3DO, CDi, Sega with only Microsoft buying into the market since then.

Unironically cinematic elements in games. Yes, people shit on it all the time, but it was around the PlayStation 1 when developers finally started to make games a lot more story-oriented and movie-like, both for better and for worse. Main caveat is that these efforts at the start were mostly from third-parties like Konami or Squaresoft, but they were still PlayStation exclusives.

GnGs legacy was carried on by games like Mega Man and Castlevania. Twitchy action platformers with limited jump arcs, assortments of weapons, and flashy boss encounters.

SMB has way more intricate physics for the player and codified the mascot platformer side of the franchise that makes up the majority of platform games.

CGI

>dual shock/rumbling.
user...

Attached: rumble.jpg (500x419, 16.66K)

Ghosts 'n' Goblins is debatable, but Pac-Land is way too up its own ass. Super Mario Bros. is simple and not super mechanically diverse, but it's still very polished and feels fantastic to play. There's a reason it took off and redefined how video games were seen, and it went well beyond it just being a sidescroller.

Sonys credits to the cinematic game are God of War and Ico.
Like em or not the impact those two games had on the PS2 and PS3 generation are fucking massive.

Why is it so hard to explain with Sony did, it's easy to bring up Nintendo and Microsoft's contribution since it changed the gaming landscape forever but I literally can't for the life of me figure out what Sony did. They don't even have a first party game that made them famous.

*what

They didn't reinvent anything but they sure love doing movies/cinematic games.

No, ROB did. Mario just kept the train going.

Oh yeah, they certainly solidified their mantle in later generations. There's no doubt about that.

>SMB has way more intricate physics for the player
most platform games chose to fall back to action platforming rather than the shoddy, slippery physics of mario games. Really the physics in Mario are trash and I don't know why people pretend otherwise. Maybe it's a pretentious rejection of what Sonic brought to the table but there's no denying that after Sonic detailed physics driven platformers really took off. Maybe it's because they stopped being designed like blocky Mario levels and more like actual places with sloping hills and uneven ground.

Sure, here's what Sony brought to gaming:
not fucking over people who buy your console
not fucking over people who develop games for your console
PlayStation is a NAMCO console anyway.