Weapons become progressively sillier and inefficient looking to indicate they are more powerful

>weapons become progressively sillier and inefficient looking to indicate they are more powerful
Why do so many games fall into this trap?

Attached: SkyrimSword.jpg (1573x1861, 248.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/q2gfVVI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not knowing about rule of cool
>being this retarded

>progressively
well not really. Ebony looks pretty normal/non-silly, even accounting for the fact the sword is weebshit, and it's the tier below daedric

Looks cooler = more better.
Simple as.

Rule of Cool, also Red Dead Redemption Online failed because of very thing you're proposing.

>sword made of iron
>realistic

They have to look like that otherwise their innate magic won't work.
Now fuck off you realism pest.

>muh realism
no wonder western games are so shit. subhumans like you are the reason why.

The one on the left looks cooler though. Right one is borderline a razer parody design you'd see in some shitty webcomic.

fpbp

Rule of cool baby.
If you want realism go LARP in the woods with other fags.

I would hope a sword literally forged out of demon hearts from the hell dimension didn't look like a normal human sword.

Because cooler/sillier IS better.

>rule of cool means you have a taste of a 11 yr old edgelord
lol

The one on the left looks like a plain, average weapon you'd see a blacksmith NPC smithing on an anvil. Same kind of shit you could probably whip up yourself with minimal investment in smithing and 2 iron chunks.
Nothing spectacular or interesting.

Real life weapons aren't much better.

Attached: 0sig0.jpg8DFD955E-6833-4F3F-9E61-12C6C02703B0Large.jpg (600x600, 20.1K)

user, that thing is specifically made to hook, not to sword.

Simple is cool. Simple as.

Left is a sword crafted by a mortal man for mortal men to use in killing other mortal men.
Right is an otherworldly abomination from another plane of existence that mortal beings can scarcely comprehend.

No fucking shit deadric weapons look impractical and silly.

Sorry not sorry, horsefags.

>Meanwhile, back in the dinosaur times
>Super extremely rare powerful as fuck weapons look edgy but still look perfectly reasonable as usable weapons, (apart from the fact they weigh 45+ lbs)

Attached: Capture.jpg (1385x472, 33.72K)

Be honest, it still looks a little silly right?

>no neon stripes
>no toyetic, plastic looking molds
>handle is a simple wooden pole

Little known fact but the hook on the bottom is for hitting your opponents anus through in-between their legs.

This is why I like Japanese games a lot more. They want to make things look as cool and interesting as possible, not boring realism. I f I wanted realistic games, I would just go outside

Daedric weapons are made to look intimidating and inflict pain. They serve their intended function

I completely agree about the right, but the left is still boring.
It's two extremes, something in the middle is preferable.

Game devs seem to think sleek, realistic designs are boring when in fact just having a regular fucking sword is now seen as niche. It's especially weird because everybody likes things like pic related over spiky glowshit.
For example, any game where you can layer cosmetics over your gear. The ultimate endgame weapon is an enormous, lit up christmas tree with a spiked handle. Players will equip it for the stats and then immediately layer it with the appearance of the level 10 vendor zweihander.

Attached: claymore.png (329x333, 133.62K)

A plain, average blade made for actual killing, made by actual smiths, is far cooler than some ignorant, edgy abortion thought up by a latte-sipping art student.

As opposed to?

>magical weapon made out of literal demon looks like a magic weapon made out of literal demons

Attached: 1365361545830.gif (300x240, 2.16M)

user please, replace that with a proper image.
imgur.com/a/q2gfVVI

Attached: claymore.png (1024x1024, 238.41K)

see

like the african ones

Attached: 799286-british-museum--african-weapons-1.jpg (450x600, 51.21K)

>Implying latte sipping art students can come up with anything this edge-soulful.
Also this

wow they really put a lot of detail into these tiny icons you'd barely normally see

I mean it's basically just a more refined version of a peasant weapon so it is pretty silly as a concept

Attached: b6b.jpg (500x255, 52.59K)

Africans fought with big wooden and hide shields and no armor, plus I think some of those are for throwing. They look silly but they are pretty practical for their purpose.

>Teleports in front of your cavalry charge
Heh, nothing personal kid

I was happy smithing made any weapon viable in Skyrim.
In Morrowind and Oblivion I always got stuck with a goofy looking weapon that weighed 100 lbs.
Skyforge sword with Dawnguard Heavy Armor is my go to. Simple yet elegant.

Daedric weapons are made by way better smiths though and are way better at killing.
I mean this is not up for discussion you know, it's a fact in The Elder Scrolls.

can i get some evil weapons from somewhere else in the realms where the evil dudes aren't black and red

>it's another unironic autisst not understanding the rule of COOL
ugh

This is why Umbra is my favorite Elder Scrolls weapon, it's quite possible to make endgame weapons not look retarded

Attached: fgd05_UmbraSword.png (478x456, 20.14K)

I imagine if someone were swinging those at me I would be just as scared as if they were swinging the goofy looking daedric sword.

You need to be 18 to post here Deviantart "do not steal" kun

but black and red are THE evil colours

Unless you're a sword autist the subtleties between different realistic swords won't be as apparent from the distance of a third person camera. Easier to make them big and flashy

Whew, I forgot how horrible Umbra was in Oblivion.

Attached: MW-item-Umbra_Sword.jpg (1080x1080, 144.59K)

I thought it looked just "weird" when I was like... 10? I don't think it looks silly, it's a billhook. Everything on that has a purpose. It looks more wicked and cruel than silly. It's a weapon with various hooks and spikes for tripping, pulling, grappling and dismounting, then finally the obvious point at the end to kill with.
Meanwhile, a billhook is the wildest example of a real weapon to be brought to bear against shit like THIS. Fucking complete aesthetic disaster in all ways.

Attached: 6f1d709d5b17b47a396878c9f48bc676[1].jpg (1800x1279, 205.86K)

what did he mean by this?

I think the problem is more in the exaggeration, you can make it a little fantasy like, but that shit in the right is borderline mall ninja shit

Attached: 20220501_200528.jpg (1338x1462, 158.23K)

these are cool weapon designs
if u disagree ur probably autistic

Attached: 1647772853957.png (1920x1246, 1.02M)

To be fair, skryim is pretty infamous for having shit weapon design, so in this case both look pretty bad.

>sword forged with a demon's heart shouldn't be edgy
ok, retard

it looks lieke a hook.
seriously though, every point on this thing has a specific purpose, this is not a case of "let's serrate everything becasue that looks badass."

second from the left looks great, reminds me of terra's keyblade from kh

part 2

Attached: 1621163702303.png (1964x1484, 2.34M)

Umbra was useless in Oblivion because at high levels because the enchantment didn't do damage. It had high damage but the game is balanced like shit so you are forced to use enchantments at high levels.

yes, but surely there has to be other evil stuff out there besides black and red. if its slightly less evil that's okay, i just want some variety.

these look like fucking garbage

these look much better

Cruel Blood Oath looks stupid as fuck but the rest are good.

Best looking sword in Skyrim is one of the lesser known ones; Nord Hero Sword
Used this thing pretty much the entire time I played, it just looks so fucking nice

Attached: Nord Sword.jpg (1000x1000, 42.05K)

And the thing is you can still make the blade look fancy, magical, and expensive without sacrificing its function. A quick google search proves my point: An alternative design that's still as edgy as you could want from a daedric sword, yet still something you could conceivably use in a fight.

Attached: 24895086795684.jpg (3840x2886, 440.52K)

>swiss army standard issue

debatable

Attached: 1634994499592.png (2262x1036, 1.41M)

And the goofy ahh daedric sword is going to tear and serrate your flesh and not just cut it. It's going to hurt a lot more when you get hit which is the point

I think in the lore the daedric weapons and armor are supposed to be possed by the daedra soul which makes me think the design is more of an outward expression of the daedra

kino

Attached: 41455.jpg (700x2119, 148.95K)

these look great
these are atrocious

I like big stupid gay weapons
the only ones I don't like are black and red ones
I'll take 6 swords superglued together over a zweihander any day

Attached: sord.jpg (951x538, 123.65K)