Where do we go from here? How will any future (open world or not) RPGs even compete against Elden Ring...

Where do we go from here? How will any future (open world or not) RPGs even compete against Elden Ring? It feels like we've hit the peak RPG design and there's likely no hope of going anywhere from here. Even the combat alone is like miles ahead of any other studio.

Attached: file.png (616x353, 267.34K)

>It feels like we've hit the peak RPG design

You retards are so fucking annoying.
>DUDE THE GAME WITH LITERALLY 0 TOWNS IS THE PEAK
>DUDE THE GAME THAT STUTTERS EVERY 10 STEPS BECAUSE OF SHITTY DX12 BULLSHIT IS THE PEAK
>DUDE THE GAME THAT SHOWS WHY OPEN WORLD IS A MISTAKE DUE TO SHITTY OPEN EMPTY FIELDS FULL OF NOTHING BUT CRAFTING MATERIALS IS THE PEAK

This is not the peak by any means, retard.

If bethesda flops its over, its going to be cinematic action adventures, fortnite and fifa.

>>DUDE THE GAME WITH LITERALLY 0 TOWNS IS THE PEAK
You don't need filler towns to be good
>>DUDE THE GAME THAT STUTTERS EVERY 10 STEPS BECAUSE OF SHITTY DX12 BULLSHIT IS THE PEAK
Irrelevant, your toaster oven is to blame. Has nothing to do with the game. It runs perfectly fine for hundreds of thousands of other people and on consoles even.
>>DUDE THE GAME THAT SHOWS WHY OPEN WORLD IS A MISTAKE DUE TO SHITTY OPEN EMPTY FIELDS FULL OF NOTHING BUT CRAFTING MATERIALS IS THE PEAK
bro it's full of content, monsters, and funs hit. It's way better than any other open world RPG we have to date.

You sound like a Bethesda shill.

>hop on a goat horse
>die of tedium running around in yet another boring open world
Hopefully I'll die before another one of these gets released.

>How will any future (open world or not) RPGs even compete against Elden Ring?
Dragons Dogma 2
The game doesn't even have a city full of npcs you can talk to, aside from the round table hub.
>Even the combat alone is like miles ahead of any other studio.
Again, Dragon's Dogma

>muh talking!
C R I N G E

Retard.

how about stop rehashing this formula that has been stale since the second game

yeah man fuck filler towns now let me set out and fight the same copy pasted filler enemies ad nauseum.

>Talking to Gideon for a checklist of bosses to fight
C R I N G E

Gothic Remake.
- Open World exploration like Elden Ring.
- Good characters and narrative like The Witcher 3.
- Good sense of freedom like Skyrim.

At least, the original have that, combat could be shit but we will see.

I remember in my first playthrough after meeting the Two Fingers for the first time, I wondered if the other Roundtable hold niggers would have anything to say about them but apparently no one gave two shit about the gross, hairy alien fingers just sitting there bossing people around.

Elden Ring can't compete with excellence, no game can.

Attached: Excellence.jpg (1220x1820, 716.33K)

Miyazaki will find something.

I don't know about rpgs or the combat but it certainly put a milestone for open world games. Like the sheer scale is impressive.
But I'm hopeful. Developers will realize that they can't compete and opt in for smaller, tightly pack worlds with carefully crafted segments.
Imagine actually thinking something good will come out of this. Get ready for empty forests and cavern systems that stretch for hours.

It's never happening

what do you mean where do we go from here?
why would the entire industry that is literally making trillions change to cater to eldeniggers?
serious question

There’s still those major dlcs with the rot god and twins. And that massive area off map with Godfrey and young Godrick.

BotW was previous seen as the top open world RPG. Elden Ring beat it. Consider that moron.

there's a lot of half assed shit in that game.
like the volcano manor assassination quests having literally no impact on the round table. nobody cares that you basically joined the opposition and start killing off their members.

>Dragon dogma 2
Its never gonna come out is it?

>Elden Ring beat it.
lol

you have literally been proven wrong which is why you have to take to ad hominems

>why would the industry emulate a game that sold twelve million units in like a week

Truly a mystery, idiot-kun.

the rest of the industry makes that through in game time-skip mtx
you can yell at the sky all you want, literally nobody in the industry cares about you

where are the industries attempts to copy even bigger games like animal crossing?

Well they will have an instant leg up on elden ring because they usually involve more ways to interact with the world than just pressing R1. You might be mindbroken by elden ring, but I am not and I don't feel like every game is shit in comparison. In fact, I think elden ring is quite boring and tedious.

It outsold Skyrim in its first week. Cope

The game was kind of simple though. It somehow felt empty. Yeah, sure, the world is pretty and has a lot of stuff in it. But the game feels boring to me somehow.

It feels like you're just doing the *same* thing, but in different flavors. yeah, you're fighting a dude on a horse with a halberd, and now you're fighting a pack of wolves, and now you're fighting a literal giant. Now you're fighting a giant snake with a man's face on it. It's the 'same' thing over and over, and you prop yourself up with more stats as you go.

I don't know man. Something needs to 'happen'. I'm probably raving against the whole formula and concept of a souls-game being so obtuse with its lore and repetitive gameplay, but there's room for improvement.

this game is the second coming of christ for fromdrones. It's quite amazing lol

Elden ring might have an edge when it comes to combat/content but as far as RPG goes it does an absolutely shit job at making up an enjoyable world.

It's all just dungeons, the game's one big fucking dungeon with a couple safe spots dotted here and there.
In that regards it's nowhere near as good any other RPG.

And yes I know it's by design but it just feels awful. By Leyndell I was wondering what the fuck was the point of all of this and at Farum Azula I just gave up on feeling anything about this game's story.

its boring because you do the exact same shit from the first hour until the very end.

The game is hollow as fuck and unlike combat centered games like DMC, NG or Monster Hunter (which souls games copy terribly) you get zero cool tools or mechanics. there is honestly more gameplay variety between two MH weapons than between literally all weapons in your average souls game.
Is also mega restrictive for being an "rpg" because upgrade items are sparse for no reason so even if you get something new you arent allowed to use it.
So you get a big bloated game with recycled enemies everywhere but no cool interactions and approaches to combat. Its also very easy to break with its own core mechanics because they clearly had no interest in creating a balanced experience so you have to gimp yourself with self imposed rules which is shoddy garbage.
Quests are trash amateur shit still. When the game tries to break up the monotony its insultingly bad like those towers where you have to beat up three invisible turtles and they actually have the audacity to recycle that too. Oh great another ghost mob I have to follow for five minutes to reveal a copy pasted mine how interesting.

Attached: 1635362851350.gif (500x375, 360.47K)

That's what I'm saying.

By the time you leave the building where you go through the cave of knowledge, you have experienced the whole extent of the game.

Then that experience is stretched over the whole map and an xx and perhaps even xxx amount of hours.

I wanted to give a suggestion to combat this, but I think this *is* the extent of what the game can be. Elden Ring is perfect in the sense that it has perfected the soulslike formula. If you change things (like adding actual settlements or some other stuff), you're disrupting what it already is.

Elden ring is perfect. But that perfect is imperfect.

Now if only we had the same, but with actual covenants again.

>Where do we go from here
More steaming pile of empty open world garbage like Elden Shit as there many before this garbage and will be many more after.

No I dont think its perfect at all, even for what its trying to be. You could cut half of the game and you'd have a much more concise and better experience.
Sticking to the souls formula is also lame. We had tons of rehashes like that already. The novelty of Demons Souls wore off by the time I played Dark Souls and that was already ages and several games ago.
Settlements would be good. More ways to interact with areas would be good too. Some of those platforming areas are decent. You are much more mobile than in other Souls games because of jump button and horse but everything still mostly feels super flat.

Fix netcode
Make combat deep by fleshing out high/low/mid and add clashing
Make characters more fleshed out with different routes that don't just abruptly end or launch incompleted
Make weapons actually unique and quit reusing animations

Stop calling eveything a fromdrone. They have more than one fucking fanbase.

This game does have towns. More than just towns. Well built cities, castles, cathedrals, academys, tombs, mining operations, forts, ancient cities. It has a lot of effort put into these locations than most games do.

I'm not talking about the length, I'm talking about the experience during that length.

I'm aware of the double entendre.

I don't want to take this word in my mouth, but the core gameplay loop is perfect.

>You fight
>Get [game specific resource]
>Repeat above until you have enough to buy something, including levels and stats.
>If you die, you drop your resources. Die again, they're lost forever.
>This process of dying and coming back and the existence of those resources are loosely woven into a vague story that subtly exists in the background.

There. that's souls-games for you. It literally works for all of the soulsgames.

This whole process is perfect in that it's a robust system. You can (and there have been) hang multiple games on this loop/system.

So if you start to mess with this system by adding different game mechanics, you start to mess with how 'perfect' it is.

Again, the game is perfect because it perfected a game loop, it's just consuming that loop is a bit dry for some people.

Idk why did they change star wars and God of war to be similar to dark souls?

cont.

Then you add some difficulty into the 'you fight' part, and you have a game.

>It runs perfectly fine for hundreds of thousands of other people and on consoles even.
It runs at sub-50fps on the latest consoles we have, even on performance mode.

>reddit spacing
>fromtranny

its a game that will take most people 130hours to beat. having this little variation is absolutely not acceptable no matter how you try to spin it.

It has a lot of flaws, like stats being practically weightless, which is compounded by the open map design. You basically die in 1-3 hits from everything no matter what so how can you tell if you’re in a dangerous zone or if leveling up will even help you do anything? It’s fine if you want a classic adventure experience with little handholding but get rid of the old progression system that has been middling at best

nah, it's controls are too shit, me press smash buttons, enemu dies fast soon, even in hardcode game mode

By actually having a story. Not some random scribbles disbursed through the map.

I agree for the most part. People like to overrate Elden Ring's flaws and strengths in pretty equivalent amounts, but in terms of overall weaknesses, it's just not fair to say it has them. Little changes make this a perfect game

Elden Ring's open world is as good as any great game, it's just that the variety of NPCs and enemies is still the size of a linear Souls game, so they ran out of useable content to fill areas with by the end, and I do mean by the "end" as before then, you pretty much have a steady stream of unique encounters, dungeons and NPCs. It only really stagnates in this department in the last 3 areas of the game. Bosses in my opinion though, stand out much more during this period, with Fire Giant, Maliketh, and Placidusax being among my favorites to fight. I also think Farum Azula is an excellent dungeon and this is squarely an endgame area. To me, for there to be diamonds in the rough among the worst stretch of the game is an indicator of an overall great game.

Also a nitpick, but I will say I did not like the prevalence of input reading on some enemies. It got ridiculous. Too often.

Attached: 1615249449572.jpg (2048x1152, 291.32K)

>Introduce a timing based parry system so that blocking with weapons does not cost health if your timing is on point, and you actually parry an attack if you manage a near to frame perfect block
>Remove quickstep as an ash of war and make it the default dodge for characters with light equip load
>Remove kick and parry as well and bake them into the basic toolset available to the player, parry being baked into the blocking system described above and kick working as it did in DS3, no additional button mapping necessary
>Allow weapons to equip a maximum of three ashes of war at a time, all of which will be used as a combo if you keep pressing the button, depending on if the "types" match (Storm arts combo with other storm arts, melee attacks with melee attacks etc.)

All of this would just be a bandaid on a fundamentally barebones system, but I feel they would still significantly improve the combat experience.

Attached: todd.png (320x407, 197.29K)

instant fast travel means this game can never be a truly timeless adventure game masterpiece.

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124.22K)

okay fromdrone lmao

>Hopefully I'll die before another one of these gets released
Agreed, I do hope you die before the next one comes out

>stats being practically weightless

this gives me an idea.

What if the stats actually manifest in the character, instead of them just being numbers behind the screens. More STR means more buff. More dex means your animation flows better. More arcane means you, i don't fucking know, leak magical energy? Like supersaiyan 3 goku with the little electricity.

And so on. It also makes no sense for a sticc guy to carry this giant ass halberd or two massive swords.

>Another shazaamcel cope thread
We're going on almost three months now, move on

I think the ashes of war limit was solely to balance PVP, and it backfired tremendously. It's broken as shit and you may as well have something to deal with Rivers of Blood.

It should use the slot requirement system like spells do, with stronger ashes consuming more slots. So the RoB user may have the most damaging and best range ash of war in the game, but he may lose out on having 2 or 3 ashes at once.

I think you should be able to stack the weaker ones.

The best way to do this would be to have multiple stat requirements for each weapon, leading to a moveset change once you reach maybe 1,5x max stat required.
There's 0 fucking reason why my 40 STR colossal weapon wielding character swings greatswords like a paraplegic grandma

Of course it means more animation work but I think you could cut corners by making UGS use the GS animations and so on.

>>DUDE THE GAME WITH LITERALLY 0 TOWNS IS THE PEAK
Uhh... Jarburg?

>paraplegic grandma
hahaha, that's funny. the image of my grandma swinging those swords in her grammy jammy's is funny.

Netcode is a huge flaw

It's not particularly good in any of the games in the Souls lineup, so I often forget that

I also almost never play PVP so that could be a factor