Well?

well?

Attached: 5.png (533x278, 15.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sL7v9ct6Gis
youtube.com/watch?v=U1UtRnGn5hc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

some games to refresh your memory
you can go further than 5 years if you want, as long as it'll be remembered and matter 20 years from the release year

Attached: 10s.jpg (8504x4272, 3.59M)

BoTW
Elden Ring

Attached: 2020 and 2021.jpg (6544x2880, 2.58M)

vr chat

Cyberpunk 2077 when it's finally finished.

Definitely The last of us Part II

It still is miles ahead in terms of storytelling even comparing it to movies and tv series.

you think so? I imagine there'll be a fair few more open-world Zelda and FromSoft games in the next 20 years, and it's likely that they'll only improve upon the formulas
they might be remembered as stepping stones at least

Attached: well.jpg (500x175, 15.71K)

This is hilarious to look at. You wouldn't think BB and Witcher 3 were preferred over Yakuza 0 when looking at Yea Forums today. Just goes to show the people that complain about them are a minority.

Attached: 026a40173c0a4b854bbaa540a7cc9fbd.jpg (2351x779, 642.67K)

yakuza 0 while fun and has a very entertaining single player
it's very tedious to even play the mini games remind me of ps2 and n64 games except they're bullshit hard

None of them.
Humanity will be completely fucked by then.

Attached: hmm.jpg (500x282, 49.4K)

Sekiro and Elden Ring and that's about it.

Only time will tell faggot

Balan Wonderworld
It changed my life

Attached: 1.jpg (740x370, 47.11K)

Elden Ring.

BotW will be invalidated by its own sequel and BotW's reception has only soured over time. When everyone's chasing the open world meme both of those games will be judged harshly compared to what directly inspired them years before.

Attached: .jpg (900x900, 70.48K)

I might've been too generous, who knows, but I can see these mattering about 10 years or more from now

Attached: 10s.jpg (8504x4272, 3.26M)

I can't think of anything good, but kids will remember playing fortnight with a feeling of nostalgia.

>including gta v and tlou+red dead games
way too generous

GTA 5 sure will

no they won't they will just move onto another shitty online game and only have memories of the people they played with
the game is trash they will forget in no time
it's not like counter-strike where you have that one moment that is insane
all br games just blur together because they end up dying then queing up for another game in matter of 30 seconds

Judging by the last 5 years people will still seethe about tits in XC2.

No game from 20 years ago matters now.

Thinking something is good and feeling nostalgia aren't aren't the same thing.

You were probably being deliberately vague by "matter", but I interpret it as meaning games that will be influential on the future of the industry.

The success of Elden Ring will be felt in every open world game starting a few years from now (i.e. all of them that aren't currently in full on production). Developers will be able to use it to convince publishers that slightly more obscure and less handholdy experiences are OK- that those who want to discover things for themselves will do so, and those who need more guidance will just google it.
This will be weighed against the commercial failure of Bloodborne despite its critical success.

Every serious game story will be compared, consciously or not, to TLOU2. Love it or loathe it, most other game writing feels flat and boring after playing that title. It was emotionally complicated and nuanced and interesting in ways that games generally don't even attempt. Few games will be quite so bold with their fundamental structure because the extreme variation in reaction will make publishers nervous, but its influence will be felt in more subtle ways going forward.

Roguelites aren't going anywhere and most of them will be able to trace their DNA back to Spelunky. Derek Yu's presentation on soft vs spiky games is essential viewing. youtube.com/watch?v=sL7v9ct6Gis

>20 years from now
Star Citizen
Little Witch Nobeta
Summertime Saga
Yandere Simulator
GTAV
Skyrim
RE4

>well?

Breath of the Wild

GTA games have almost never-ending staying power, GTA V still sells like hotcakes
TLOU was a huge commercial and critical success and started a shift to more cinematic video games, whether that was bad or not it had a huge impact
Red Dead series is massive too, nobody is going to just forget RDR2 existed
I suppose what the thread really revolves around is how marketed a game was

all of 2002 up until about KH is still remembered fondly, I often see the 2002 games on 3x3s

yeah I wasn't sure how to word it, I guess matter or be remembered is hard to define since people care about different things

Attached: 00s.jpg (9264x4328, 3.75M)

Define "matter".

Hate to break it to you, but for the entire 8th generation most of the AAA industry was aping exactly 3 (three) games: Assassin's Creed, PUBG and Destiny.

Whatever game you want to shape the industry is NOT what the industry is going to choose.

that's what people said about games like heavy rain but truth be told cinematic shit is cinematic shit it will be forgotten and at best you'll have a bunch of fags who remember the chaotic fuckfest that is gta v online

Genshin Impact brought a new standard to mobile gaming, it will probably be remembered as a milestone even if it's not played in 20 years because of the nature of gacha games, but some sort of continuation of Genshin will be played by that time, it's hard to see Mihoyo failing to create a decent enough continuation even if it's not the most notable mobile game by that point.

>The Last of Us
>started the shift to cinematic video games
Lmao you must be new. Video games have been working on becoming cinematic since the late 90s; with games like Time Crisis, Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life, Max Payne and Resident Evil. Forget "started", the 7th generation was a grand culmination of those efforts. That was when the beat cinematic action games started getting made; The Last of Us was riding a huge wave by that point!

And honestly, those games were better than what we are getting now.

open world games have no soul and no lasting power.
BOTW is already missing several iconic aspects that defined the series in the past and traded them in for things that are neither unique nor memorable.

Attached: 1632848237704.jpg (508x677, 60.17K)

>control + f "mine"
>no results
MINECRAFT

Attached: 1632761059465.gif (230x253, 29.38K)

user...

>It will be forgotten
Cinematic games are the go to games whenever anybody is asked about artistry in the medium - not open world fuckfests like breath of the wild, elden ring or Ubisoft trash

>whenever anybody is asked about artistry in the medium
which nobody actually does.

botw is gonna be this generation's ocarina of time, so yeah, it's gonna be remembered regardless of how much better the competition is

forgot pic

Attached: 1649217787541.png (282x691, 35.18K)

Minecraft came out in 2010 you f̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶f̶a̶g̶ dear newfriend

and what cinematic games are remembered from the 90s? there's literally only one and it's metal gear solid
sonic adventure aged like shit so did everything else
shenmue is a forgotten relic replaced by yakuza games

not even close
also
>any competition
>better than OoT at the time
lol

Gaming doesn't need people like you

People like you who hate video games

>sonic adventure
>cinematic
it's still good too, games don't age

yes man only farts huffing journos who dont play games but need to justify their profession to their parents truly love videogames.

Remembered, sure. Matter? Doubt.

He's right tough

Skyrim

this list is a joke, lol. nice underage shit.

it's good but for all the wrong reasons and people looking back at it would laugh at you if you said it was cinematic

Attached: cat.jpg (236x315, 10.65K)

this

>and what cinematic games are remembered from the 90s?
Metal Gear Solid
Half-Life
Thief 1 & 2
Resident Evil 1 & 2
Silent Hill
Final Fantasy VII & VIII
System Shock 2

And honestly, as for games with the same feel but just missing the era, I'd put Max Payne and Deus Ex and Halo here as well

Skyrim
GTA 5

If you say there is no artistry in video games then you don't love video games, simple as. You may say you do, you may even think you do, but you are lying, especially to yourself.

You hate video games, but mostly you hate yourself.

Nier Automata
Breath Of The Wild
Death Stranding

again people would laugh at you if said silent hill and resident evil are cinematic today and in fact would miss how those games are even cinematic just by quick glance even down to half life
those games put you more in the shoes of the character rather than actually being in a interactive movie
that's the main difference between now and the 90s for cinematic games
and that's why almost everything past 2005 for "cinema" games suck dick because they're all clones of heavy rain

you're a spastic

wrong reasons?

Zoomers of today don't even understand the concept and meaning of art, it's just all memes and propaganda, and it's only going to get worse sadly.

>games that are more than 90% gameplay
>cinematic
the absolute state of movieniggers

>open world games have no soul and no lasting power.
moron, morrowind is jacked off constantly to this day

>open world trash soon to enter the dustbin of history when Starfield and TESVI come out

okay japtranny.

user... sonic adventure has been made fun of for ages
and that's just only from the dialogue

>all this open world shit

Attached: 1636336038277.gif (272x281, 1.99M)

BotW
Witcher 3
Rain World
Pathologic 2
I've heard good things about INFRA but I only just started playing it

people make fun of good shit all the time, almost everything about the game is at least solid

>Cinematic games are the go to games whenever anybody is asked about artistry in the medium
for people who think marvel movies are high art, sure

People still talk about adventure after all this time because they were good games, despite their issues, and sega has failed miserably to surpass them.

just think for a second faggots, what games from 2002 are we still talking about today?

Attached: thinking.gif (460x259, 1.93M)

For most anyone, really.

it is but all the ports are dogshit but no one would actively suggest you play it today unless they knew you enjoyed that type of game
it's not like sonic mania or mario galaxy

Every game you would ever call cinematic is all 100% gameplay, how could it not be, what else would it be?

You are just a fucking retard.

Off by a year but I still see plenty of talk about Sonic Adventure 2.

theres only like 3 games from 2002 being talked about today on this board elsewhere you get weirdos talking about forgotten shit

>Every game you would ever call cinematic is all 100% gameplay
lol

>Sonic Adventure 2
autist games don't count

Mario 64

>Metroid Prime
>Wind Waker
>Morrowind
>Metroid Fusion
>REmake
>Mario Sunshine
>Soulcalibur II
>Warcraft 3
>Pokemon
>JSRF
>Ratchet
>Kingdom Hearts
>TimeSplitters 2

Attached: 00s.jpg (5925x397, 916.95K)

Mod loader for SA1 has fixes for 99% of the port problems build in.

You are a fucking subhuman shitstain. There is no such thing as an "interactive movie", every game has gameplay just like every other game. And like it or not, those games absolutely are cinematic. You wanting games to alienate everyone who isn't like you is your own personal problem, you fucking faggot.

wait a year for the 2022 Yea Forumsga to find out.

It's pleb shit

/thread

What about Mario Sunshine?

no, for people who think marvel movies are high art

damn, 2002 was actually a fucking great year

>warcraft 3
>morrowind
>metroid prime
>mario sunshine
>eternal darkness
>resident evil remake
>vice city
>ratchet & clank
>kingdom hearts
>windwaker

>TLOU2 has gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=U1UtRnGn5hc

collectathon games are autistic by design. Try again

More to the point: how many of those games influence any game developed today?

Because who gives a fuck what spergs talk about?

People forgot about that when the OC died out.

PUBG
Fortnite

Metroid Prime?

warcraft 3, morrowwind, vice city would probably be the top three that come to mind

Lmao define "high" art and why it's higher than "not high" art

Idiot

elden ring selling 20 million copies and becoming an instant hit is one of the most important video game events of all time
especially considering the fact that almost all devs are trying to be the next big twitch game by pushing weird cartoony shit with characters and shit and going nowhere with their products

elden ring showed that consistent quality brings immense success and every single entry after DS3 have made millions with elden ring breaking the current formula

I unironically expect better, more polished and deeper experience-driven AAA games moving forward and less IPs turning into season pass based mmo-lites

Please, I beg you

Kill yourself

>all devs are trying to be the next big twitch game by pushing weird cartoony shit with characters and shit and going nowhere with their products
I wish this was true.

NIGGER PLEASE hahahahahaha monkey island has more gameplay than your dogshit third person shooters that cut to scripted garbage every 5 seconds with unskippable walking sections

amount of flops outmatch mildly succeeding ones

>more open world medieval indentkit horseshit with no proper story or characters to speak with combat below fucking Devil May Cry 1
No thanks.

Elden ring took a dump on this industry, but you're being way too overly optimistic to think scummy corporations won't just keep try to brute force as much garbage as possible for pure profit potential.

I didn't read the OP properly.

Attached: 1645431149465.png (800x1280, 70.95K)