Sonic Frontiers

with 5 years of development, Sonic Frontiers is set to have the longest dev time of ANY mainline Sonic game ever

does this change your opinion of the quality of the game? or do you think it will it still just be mediocre?

Attached: E6F189DB-9BC7-4F31-ACDE-DCE793C3E094.jpg (1200x675, 288.83K)

I don't trust SEGA with anything.

>does this change your opinion of the quality of the game?
no, i'm still neutral about it

I just want a 100 hour long Sonic game. I want to run around as Sonic for 100 hours like Elden Ring.

I don't want an open world Sonic game

Someone post that leak

>sonic but ubishit
jesus christ please no
just make an official game like Sonic GT how fucking hard is that

Looks meh
It's either going to be surprisingly good or surprisingly awful

dude we need gameplay stuff for that

Better than Ubishut because one it's fucking sonic two he has super speed so he can zip past empty worlds in a blink of an eye while ramming armies of eggman robots

>while ramming armies of eggman robots
They will be completely inconsequential egg pawn tier trashcans that you will only ever need to interact with if a "mission" forces you to.

A game can be open without being Ubisoft styled.
Case in point: Yakuza, Elden Ring, Mario Odyssey.

Stow your kneejerk reactions.

And Sonic doesn't work in any of them. Because you're going to be speeding around, and no enemies can meaningfully keep up with you when the terrain allows you to get so far away from them. Sonic is meant to be at least semi on-rails all the time, so that the enemies can work around said rails and the player can exploit said rails for maximum speed.

Haha no.
All that tells me is that they're forcing this shit extra hard and had to scrap everything and start over a few more times than usual. Sonic is a terrible candidate for the open world meme. All I want from 3D Sonic is stylish time-attack with linear levels full of hidden routes and shortcuts, but I'm never going to get it because the normies value 100 hours of padding more highly than replayable short games.

Long dev time usually means good things for Nintendo games but this is Sega so it could go either way, they may yet fuck it up somehow.

Forces had 3 and 2 were for the engine, Frontiers will probably be the same

If Sega knows what they're doing, they wouldn't find an established open world style and drop sonic in it.
If Sonic can get far from the enemies, then the logical conclusion would be to make faster enemies or limit progression via enemies.

The point is to design the open world around Sonic's abilities and speed. Personally, I think a way to achieve this would be to not only have wide landscapes but also a lot of vertical areas too.
If they're doing a bullshit job, then we will just get Sonic dropped in Infamous or something.

>boost to win shit
Until Sonic gets rid of this retarded mechanic it will never be good

It'll ship with Denuvo because Sega is retarded.

Will need to see it. Won't help how long its in dev if the people behind it are shit

I don't expect Sonic Team to ever even understand Sonic's appeal, much less build a worthwhile game around it. No one on board gives a fuck about him, to SEGA he's a quick buck and nothing more.

Attached: 1609021047357.jpg (1920x1080, 529.57K)

Yes, the situation looks worse than i thought

The problem is: Sonic's appeal isn't universal and even the audience has different things they like/dislike about Sonic.
Classic/Modern fans, Adventure fans, Fans of the cartoon, fans of the comics, fans of the movie, western fans, eastern fans.

This leaves Sonic Team in the position where they have to "create" a new appeal of Sonic with every game. I think the fact that Ian Flynn is responsible for the story in this entry says a lot about what type of Sonic we're going to see moving forward.

It won't even reach Generations, which was a rushjob for the anniversary, let alone get close to Unleashed in quality.

I'm convinced sonic fans simply don't know what they want, so it doesn't matter what sega does with the ip anymore.

This.

The reason mario was so successful where all other platforming mascots failed was the inclination of the developers to abandon gimmicks and try new things, to the point that mushrooms and coin blocks, the items most commonly associated with Mario by the wider audience, were dropped almost entirely from the 3D games until successfully reimplemented in 3D World over 15 years after the franchise went 3D.

SEGA has failed to realize, again and again, that rigorously enforcing this "Sonic has to be fast" mentality so strictly is what has damaged their modern games either by making them buggy messes like Adventure and Heroes, or by making them hyper-automated boost-to-win triffles like Unleashed-Forces; it doesn't really help that the fanbase is so severely autistic and bitch and moan incessantly if the speed is reduced even a little like in Lost World.

>Camera pans so that the character isn't at the center of the screen for more le cinematic experience and to compensate for retards being unable to move the camera
I hate this shit and how it's in every third person Unreal engine PS game, worse than motion blur, worse than chromatic aberration

The problem with making an entry in a franchise a huge open world is that it becomes an expectation for future games. Which means longer development times and unrealistic expectations for subsequent entries.

Attached: 980x.jpg (765x1024, 259.75K)

It wasn't the dreadful slow speed that made Lost World unredeemable garbage. Then again, you're probably that demented 3D Worldfag.

Just let folks from the west + fans handle Sonic. That tends to work out for some reason

>Then again, you're probably that demented 3D Worldfag.
Who? Rent Free. Meds now.

Yakuza is barely open world. One of its maps is literally two streets.

>open world
>Sonic Team
This shit is going to be so buggy that it will make Bethesda look like a competent game developer by comparison.

>two he has super speed so he can zip past empty worlds in a blink of an eye
It's being made with the Switch in mind, so no.

where's this image from? was there a gameplay leak?

>with 5 years of development, Sonic Frontiers is set to have the longest dev time of ANY mainline Sonic game ever
If they've been working on the game for five years and the most gameplay they have to show off after two "reveals" is thirty seconds worth of panning environments shots that run at 20 fps, then the game isn't in very good shape. If what I just said doesn't shoot up red flags for you then you are either underaged or severely retarded.

Attached: 1639544128125.gif (200x200, 3.89M)

>Which means longer development times and unrealistic expectations for subsequent entries.

That’s fine for Sonic though. Sonic fans are always gonna have unrealistic expectations and longer development times in theory means better games. Just get some other studios to sprinkle in some spin-offs/2D games between major 3D releases and there shouldn’t be anything wrong with this.

It's fan made.

Is there boost? In that case no, it'll just be polishing a turd. The open world looked rather flat from the trailer meaning it's just a matter of aiming yourself where you want to go and press forward instead of it being a playground for a decently in depth moveset that allows all sort of neat tricks and platforming.
I also fully expect Sonic Team to just blindly take elements from other open worlds and hope it'll work for Sonic. Probably a crafting system so there's going to be a lot of mashing X to collect every flower and nail off the ground, AssCreed tier collectibles to fill the empty space, FarCry style settlements to clear out. Maybe they'll also do the Elden Ring thing of having bosses in the map.
And since this is Sonic Team going open world, bugs galore that'd make Todd Howard blush.

Boost is the only time 3D Sonic ever worked and I'm tired of Adventuretards pretending otherwise.

>no enemies can meaningfully keep up with you when the terrain allows you to get so far away from them
So make it a hunter-prey kinda thing. The enemies aren't static or in-place, instead you're being constantly chased by a swarm of Eggman drones or something.

I can't wait for this game to still be shit.

Kishimoto is directing. There is no hope.

>with 5 years of development
We know from leaks that it's only been in development since 2019, as that's when Sega was sending out surveys about different Sonic game ideas. One of those potential game ideas involved "Sonic exploring the Starfall Isles" which is the basic premise for Frontiers.

So it will have had around three years of dev time by the time it releases, not five. And it apparently was supposed to release last year until Sega delayed it for "quality issues" anyway. You're never going to get a Kishimoto-directed Sonic game that's better than "okay at best". It's just not happening.

Attached: 1639846350552.png (300x216, 84.41K)

/thread

Boost goes against the entire point of Sonic and turns his games into being designed like infinite runners.

Sega gives fans plenty of freedom in using the IP for fangames and other stuff.

In addition, fans have been able to work on Sonic or are currently working on Sonic in an official capacity. Christian Whitehead, Ian Flynn, Simon Thomley, etc.

Boost is just adventure gameplay based around an over-powered spindash.

>hasn't played Yakuza 0

>it's getting a Switch port
it will be empty by necessity, the Switch can barely run anything that isn't 2D, even the new Kirby was 30fps with drops and that's a slow-paced first party Nintendo game

Except without physics and tricks, and chao garden, and multiple playable characters, and multiplayer

>5 months since the last trailer
>No news or gameplay

I fucking sleep

Yeah and those projects tend to be the ones that are actually good

Hope.
And fuck.

Switch is a damn phone, they need to stop trying to force newer games on it. Should have used it like the GBA and revived old style games instead it has revived gen7 textures and gen 5 frame rates to go with them.

Honestly open world is hit or miss. Its the Brown and Bloom cover based fps of today. Over done, usually bad, and rarely interesting. Sonic could be fun because open world hinges often on how fun it is to get around, but if it ends up far to empty like BotW that could be an issue.

>Except without physics and tricks
They both have awkward "physics" and tricks that can be pulled off thanks to said awkwardness. Although I'll give the Adventure games a small pass since they were designed for older tech. In reality the level design in SA2 really isn't that different from a boost game's, as they both focus on providing "spectacle moments" and being largely corridor-based.
>and chao garden, and multiple playable characters, and multiplayer
Irrelevant to what we're talking about.

Those kind of announcements, much like Kingdom Hearts 4 are more for shareholders than consumers. They did say more news would come in the summer though wonder when, since E3 was cancelled?

Will he return, Yea Forums?

Attached: 450197-SFHeader.jpg (1280x720, 111.41K)

Same

5 years and they’re still too pussy to show any gameplay

They'll probably show stuff later this month since the movie has already released in most areas and they just announced Origins.
Probably in another "Sonic Central" thing.

We will maybe get a short trailer or screenshots this month and the big stuff next month at the Summer game fest. The guy that hosts the event (he also was the host for the game awards) liked a tweet that talked about Sonic news at the game fest.

E3 may be cancelled but the big announcements will still be going on between Summer Game Fest, Microsoft/Bethesda show, Nintendo Direct, and whatever Sony does. It'll basically be E3 minus the extra shit nobody cares about anyway.

>Elden Ring
>not ubisoft shit
You bet I'm laughing.

From current canon no, but I would like to see this dumb edgy fuck again.

Here's how you make this concept good:

>Diverse moveset with many ways to jump, spindash, move around the environment.
>Many oppertunies for platforming and parkour in the environmental design
>Little minigames akin to koroks that test your skills which can be encountered during your adventure.
>Turning becomes slower the faster you are going by default, with non-jerky movement and a little buildup before going significant speed.
>Moving around the environment is fun in of itself, with getting to certain places in the lowest amount of time being encouraged and rewarded by the gameplay mechanics.
>Fleshed out world and story which gets you immersed in the world.

>Stow your kneejerk reactions.
It's Sonic Team. Any "kneejerk reaction" is perfectly justified at this point.

you VILL get a 15 hour long game with 2 or 3 villages, empty fields and toddler puzzles and you VILL be happy

This is massive fucking cope
You sound like the typical "Ridley is too big" shithead. It's a fucking video game, anything can keep up with the shitplaying Sonic player and rect his shit in. Instead of grounded mooks why not just use aerial combots? Homing missles? Or high speed Metal Sonic like mooks instead of those shitty Heroes pawns?

It took literal years for him to be added to the Forces mobile game and Sega doesn't want the current IDW comics to acknowledge his existence despite said comics using Forces' plot as a starting point.
The answer is no.

We all know what will happen. Same as with every Sonic game.

Everyone and their grandma will buy it, even with them expecting it to be shit.

It then turns out worse than expected.

It becomes a laughingstock and is forgotten for 5 years.

5 years later, it is heralded as one of the best games in the series.

5 years after that, it is forgotten again.

And are they gonna? You think Sega is gonna do that?
Or do you think Sega is going to use the same shitty pawn style enemies again? Which do you think is more likely? Use your fucking head.

>In Sonic Frontiers, Sonic’s long-time nemesis Dr. Eggman discovers an ancient technology on the Starfall Islands and installs his AI program SAGE to hack in and take over. But there is more to this technology than he realizes, and unintended consequences immediately come to bear. Sonic must race against time to discover the truth, save his friends and maybe even save himself at the same time.

Sonic will lose his memories and they literally won't do anything cool with it. There will be like 2 cutscenes of Sonic running through Green Hill or something lmao

Attached: eggman.png (1200x1300, 871.57K)

I'm talking about the tricks that are part of Sonic's/Shadow's general moveset. If you press A at the end of some rails and all ramps, the character does a trick that changes depending on how fast you're going and when you press A. Kind of like Jet Set Radio

For the physics, I'm talking about the fact that Sonic's goes faster down hills than he does on flat surfaces. In the boost games, his top speed is just boosting. It isn't something that is based on his environment as much.

They both have their spectacle moments and are corridor based, but I think that the physics and moveset of the adventure titles feels more like you're interacting than just making well timed jumps. This even goes as far as rail grinding where you have to control Sonic's direction to build speed.