Ditching bespoke interconnected semi-open world design...

>ditching bespoke interconnected semi-open world design, just so you can make an open world where most players will abuse fast travel to skip boring parts
what did he mean by this?

Attached: f8706e4e50af45efafc90987e5d0527e.jpg (640x400, 48.33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arch.b4k.co/v/search/text/Zanzibart/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>need to go somewhere first before you can use a sight of grave for fast travel, therefore you can't use it to skip anything
>since dark souls 2 fast travel has been pretty much unlimited, only 1 was really any different, and it still had it
what did this faggot op mean by this

Zanzibart...

>where most players will abuse fast travel to skip boring parts
What is every game since DaS2

>arch.b4k.co/v/search/text/Zanzibart/
>Returning only first 3000 of 5729 results found
lel, you trannies really know how to run a joke into the ground

>What is every game since DaS2
Trash

Fromsoft's writing is a joke but here we are.

>bespoke interconnected semi-open world design
There's a lot of that in the game, fucktons.
Difference is it's all set in an actual world instead of hinting at such a world with backdrops.

>abuse fast travel to skip boring parts
That doesn't make any sense at all, you have to unlock the fast travel points by actually going there first.

DS2 is just ER on a budget, DS3 is just a one long corridor. neither could measure up to DS1 and ER just proves memezaki has no idea what he did right in dark souls.

still blows out any pozzed zoomer modern garbage. you may not like it but it's superior to any western faggot "writer" there is.

Attached: 1651410966012.png (900x900, 556.58K)

ER's dungeons blow DaS1's dungeons out of the water.
Take off your nostalgia goggles.

ER's dungeons are just running around melee'ing guys. Where the adventure? Where's the strategy? It doesn't have it.

ER's dungeons are WAY more intricate and puzzle-like than DaS1's dungeons.
As such, they hold a lot more adventure and require a lot more strategy.

ER's dungeons have no strategy. No adventure.

>The bar is low so therefore this half-assed no-plot writing is acceptable.
Nah.

They require a lot more strategy and hold a lot more adventure than in DaS1.

It's some of the best writing in gaming for a lot of reasons.
For starters because it's told visually most of the time (decaying ruins showing statues of characters for instance) and not through endless cutscenes and dialog trees.

>Yes they are
>No they aren't
Never change, Yea Forums

Attached: and it grew both day and night.png (1377x992, 850.08K)

Attached: image_2022-05-01_173145403.png (896x896, 469.27K)

It's an objective fact that ER's legacy dungeons are a lot more complicated and large than in Dark Souls 1.

>Game has dozens of hours of npcs endlessly telling you the plot
>A dozen cutscenes
>"no plot"
Dark Souls 1 had no plot. The norm since has been a lot of plot. NPCs won't shut up about where you have to go next and what you have to do and why.

Visual storytelling, "mise en scene" does not equate to good writing. Every game has environmental story telling from simple and shallow to detailed and deep.

elden ring isn't by miyazaki, it's by trannymura who forced him to make it open world like he wanted to do with shart souls 2

but does that make them better?

>It's some of the best writing in gaming for a lot of reasons.

Attached: 1600fadd37555.gif (325x244, 1.84M)

>walk into crypt
>get jumped on by ceiling imps or skelletons until you find a lever to open boss room
>kill a recycled boss, get a useless spirit ash
>if it's a cave, you don't have to find a lever
here's your average ER dungeon, just barely better than Skyrim's dungeons.

How the fuck did they rush 80% of the game? Were they just thinking up lore for all those years and forgot they hadn't made any game yet? The game is as unplayed and unpolished as my great grandpa's nutsack

Did you guys fucking play the game? Most NPCs have quest trees and the world's entire story and the current events are explained verbally by NPC dialog.

In the sense that the ER dungeons require more strategy and hold more adventure, yes.

hackazaki made dark souls 1 good by accident

Talking about legacy dungeons, scrub.

ER is the most polished game of this magnitude since BotW.

>all these games are the same
>all these games are too different
So which is it?

Buddy, ER has like 1/100th of the NPC dialog tree content of shit like Skyrim.

Those are the mini dungeons (like zelda's shrines), he's talking about the actual dungeons, like godrick's castle.

and yet it's still a better RPG

>here's your average ER dungeon, just barely better than Skyrim's dungeons.
Even that is debatable. They lazily put a teleport in most small dungeons so you can go back to the entrance. Even Skyrim generally attempts to link the end of a cave to the entrance via a shortcut. Hell, this fucking even happens in the lower floor of the roundtable. Why the fuck did they put a teleport there instead of making the doors open so it can connect to the upper floor? FromSoft's design is so bizarrely stupid sometimes.

Attached: 1643037608048.jpg (631x682, 83.29K)

If that's the kind of RPG you like, sure.

previous games were just like those dungeons, why add filler content? why turn your games into skyrim? at least skyrim is a fantasy simulator with proper cities and shit, in elden ring there is just combat and a few linear quest lines.

>hurr I want stairs back to the entrance
This is probably the dumbest complaint I ever read about ER, and that's saying something.

And they still tell you every single fucking event that happened in their creation myth, the night of the black knives, The shattering, the post shattering happenings, the decay of their society and your role in it. Shit, if the NPCs talked more, then I would never get to play this fucking game. A fucking turtle spent like 20 minutes talking about baptism and how it is symbolic of their oldest gods fucking or something. I spaced out like 5 minutes in. FUCK ANYONE WHO WANTS THE NPCS TO TALK EVEN MORE

If you don't curse yourself you cant kill the ghosts in londo ruins. Where's that strategy? Where's that methodical gameplay? It's not here in ER. You just run around space like it's borderline Mario 64.

>previous games were just like those dungeons, why add filler content?
Because variety is the spice of life, user.

Also, what fucking filler content? The catacombs are extremely fun; they keep getting more and more convoluted and expansive.

The open world dungeons suck ass and you're a tasteless drone.

FromSoft writing is zoomer though.

They're absolutely great. They have increasingly insane puzzles.
The one in Leyndell sewers repeats three times making you think you're looping around. They even put the corpse of an enemy you killed there to make you think this was where you were before.
That's just one example.

riding your horse to clear a bandit camp is not variety, even if you get to kill a giant crab along the way.

>riding your horse to clear a bandit camp is not variety
lol why not?
It's very different from fighting in legacy dungeons.

>5% of the bosses are actually playable, the rest you have to run out of range and then jump spam them
>half a dozen characters spread over 200km like a fucking easter egg hunt with 8 lines of dialogue before they randomly die for vague lore reasons
>the chalice dungeon recycled boss snoozefests
>boring useless ashes of war
>nobody ever asks you to do anything interesting, just stand there in a bush and moan about things you don't understand then teleport away

I didn't enjoy skyrim that much but it looks like a recreational ball pit compared to the walking simulator of Filler Ring

I just faced the first maze dungeon in caelid. Fucker even had enemies respawn and rooms reset if you broke furniture. Shit was crazy.

>ER is a walking simulator

wow

>He doesn't understand the npcs
How does that happen? They speak plain english.

% of the bosses are actually playable, the rest you have to run out of range and then jump spam them
Who filtered you user

Attached: 1632368153904.webm (1000x562, 2.73M)

Elden Ring is closer in genre to the Stanley Parable than it is to an Elder Scrolls game

SEETHE

Fuck it. This has to be a troll, the claims don't match the game at all. I'm leaving.

>nobody ever asks you to do anything interesting
We've gotten to the point where people are pretending having very few fetch quests is a BAD thing.
What is the world coming to.

Yes user, ER is a walking simulator. Good boy.

>ditching interconnected world
its not dark souls 4 you know that right? you would have a point if it was called dark souls 4

>increasingly insane puzzles
I fucking can't take you people seriously anymore. Jesus christ, play a game with actual puzzles like Myst or something. Hell, even Resident Evil has more sophisticated puzzles than ER. The gimmicks with the stone chariots or the concept of convoluted looping corridors/teleporting chests stop being interesting after the first time you encounter them. Don't even get me started on the Rise puzzles.

He sold out.
And it worked.

traveling and clearing dungeons becomes a chore after limgrave. worst part is that you still have to comb through every corner if you want to finish quest lines and if you don't like getting one shotted.
i wouldn't mind it if they would condense areas though, but then it would just be dark souls 2 with a bit more freedom.

Yeah the open world is kinda pointless.
It's essentially just slightly interactive skybox.

>a dedicated puzzle game has better puzzles than a Souls game
wow, you sure seem like you have very genuine intentions here.

Or maybe he just doesn't want to make another game like ds1

>traveling and clearing dungeons becomes a chore after limgrave.
The opposite was true for me.
The more I progressed, the more I found myself actively searching for the next catacombs.

At least Skyrims dungeons loop back around. In ER every dungeon has a teleport at the end that throws you out if you wish.

The open world is pointless in the same way backgrounds and art direction in general are pointless.

It's the direction they've been going from the beginning, DS1 was a fluke

they dont and everyone knows they dont

Then call it for what it is, don't try to make it sound like ER's puzzles have more depth than they actually do.

The puzzles in ER have a lot of depth. A lot more than in games like Skyrim, BotW, Dragon Age Origins, ...
A lot more than in any previous Souls game even.

art direction or skyboxes/backgrounds don't waste my time though.

The whole point of games is to waste time.

Backgrounds and art direction aren't a physical space which you have to navigate and impacts the pacing of the game and distribution of content.

Why are ER fanboys always so aggressively stupid and ignorant?

yet another identical looking crypt, but this time with an invisible wall and skeletons instead of imps.
yet another solder camp, this time with some magical fuckers shooting missiles from a kilometer away to make it extra spicy.
how exciting, they just forgot to add compass markers and drowners.

>identical looking crypt
They're extremely different always in terms of layout, content, puzzles, ...
The fuck are you even talking about, the masonry?

>impacts the pacing of the game
Being in the open world is supposed to have more mellow pacing most of the time.
Variety of pacing is a bonus.

Never played BotW. But from everything I've seen of that game it blows ER out of the water in terms of environmental interaction and physics. Skyrim has way more meaningful interactions with NPCs.

>never played BotW, but it blows ER out of the water

lol you disingenuous fuck