Good jRPGs on Steam

Due to current Steam sales, I was thinking about trying some jRPG but I don't know much about this genre, pretty much played only P4G. Games which caught my attention are mostly Trails in the Sky (picrel, looks very soulful) and Tales of Symphonia.
Are they good picks or better try something else?

Attached: external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1364x768, 297.89K)

>good jRPGs
Afraid you're gonna have to look far beyond steam. Beyond our own reality, in fact.

Fear & Hunger. Heard good things about Crystal Project too

Bump for interest

Attached: Screenshot_20211229-123501_The Stoic.jpg (1080x2280, 241.43K)

Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition

Not JRPG.

Fear and Hunger can be pretty frustrating with the RNG, literal 50/50 chances during vital moments. The setting and atmosphere are top notch though.

???

Attached: Untitled.png (768x669, 406.47K)

It's like a Japanese RPG, but isn't Japanese so it isn't actually a JRPG. At least the developer doesn't appear to be Japanese or from Japan.

>"uh achtusally its not a jrpg because the creator isn't japanese. *pushes up glasses on bridge of nose* it is, i'm afraid, LIKE a jrpg in every aspect however in order to be a jrpg it must actually be japanese."

Shut the fuck up faggot.

JRPG is a genre, it doesn't mean "RPG developed in Japan". Or would you say Elden Ring is a JRPG too?

bilu bilu malawi is very good

Maybe in your reality. Jrpgs used to kick ass in the 90s and 00s

JRPG is now a genre that refers to games that are based on the mechanics of role playing video games that originally game from Japan. A JRPG does not need to be of Japanese origin in order to technically be a JRPG.

Attached: barkley_party.jpg (1280x720, 95.69K)

Don't like dungeon crawlers anyway.

>Elden Ring is a JRPG
Of course. It is an Action JRPG. That's just the definition. It's not a judgement of quality. It's just a way to sort things into categories.

He's not wrong

>Trails in the Sky
Doesn't have Rean, so it's trash haha

Based

That's some stupid ass head canon you got there

>now
It never changed. It's always referred to RPG from Japan.

If you're not married to the game being turn based: play Ys. Chronicles, Oath in Felghana and Origin I know are rock solid. I haven't tried Ys 8 yet, but I hear nothing but good things about it.

Not op but ive been checking out the ys series. I kind of want to start from the beginning. I'm not sure I like the animation in the new games

>steam sales
Just play Grandia on emulator, and if you don't have fun JRPGs aren't for you.

>Japanese company develops a JRPG
>it goes bankrupt
>western company takes over and finishes the game
When it releases, should it be classified as a JRPG?

Trails is very comfy and fun, but slow as FUCK. If you don't mind gameplay that consists ~50-75% of reading (depending on how much autistically you talk to every NPC), go ahead. I personally loved them.
Grandia 1-2.
FF1-12 - if you've never played any, just look and choose whichever you'd like to play the most.
Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia and Arise are the best out of the ones available on Steam.
Chrono Trigger and Cross, despite the quality of ports.
Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, if you like tactical JRPGs.
If you want something faster, maybe some Ys, especially The Oath in Felghana.
Don't know if all of them are on sale though.

>If you're not married to the game being turn based
Definitely no.
>Ys
Holy shit, there are many of this games, I'll have to look into it.

Maybe, that's a bit iffy. But if the thing was originally designed in Japan for the Japanese market and wasn't changed significantly then it is probably still a JRPG.

no

Using that logic, all action RPGs are JRPGs, since the ARPG genre originated in Japan in the early 1980s.

But turn-based RPGs are all WRPGs, since Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are literally Ultima clones.

one drop rule faggot

>Trails is very comfy and fun, but slow as FUCK
I don't like padding but I don't have anything against slower media. And I like games with good plot and developed world.
>FF1-12 - if you've never played any
I played only FFVIII demo as a child and I liked the scene where main hero gets pulled for a dance by some girl. As an autist, it made my heart warm and I still remember it.

Genres describe content, "Japanese" doesn't describe the content of the game at all.

JRPG isn't a genre. RPG is the genre and Japan is a location. About 30-40 years ago when these terms came about you had Western RPG and Japanese RPG. They were just RPG, but from Japan. The term got shortened to JRPG, but it would make more sense to write it as J-RPG because it is just RPG, but from Japan.

>I'll have to look into it.
Everything worth playing is on Steam, just go in the release order. Or skip the Ys 1+2 and come back to it later.

JRPG is not a genre.
The idea that "JRPG is a genre" was a concept pushed by Western video game journalists in the 2000s.
The term JRPG and WRPG go back to the 1980s but not once were these used to describe a genre. They just existed to differentiate, because a Japanese turn-based RPG generally played differently from a Western turn-based RPG, a Japanese action RPG generally played differently from a Western action RPG, and a Japanese strategy RPG generally played differently from a Western strategy RPG.

Also, a thing to keep into mind was, that, in the 1980s and 1990s, the only JRPGs that made it to the West were all console games (because Japanese computer RPGs were all on Japanese-exclusive computers), while WRPGs were primarily computer games. Because of the bigger difference in technology between consoles and computers at the time, JRPGs (sometimes called console RPGs by RPG fans in the 1990s) tended to play extremely different from WRPGs (computer RPGs).

So Console RPG (mostly Japanese) and Computer RPG (mostly Western) were major terms in the 1990s. The problem was, in the 2000s, consoles were finally becoming strong enough to actually run computer RPGs, and with the popularization of the internet and fan translations, more and more Japanese computer RPGs were available in the West. This effectively killed the term Console RPG, and was the catalyst for retarded journalists to push their "JRPG is a genre" narrative.

The Japanese actually have a genre-classification for "console turn-based JRPG"-style games. LRPG, or Light RPG (similar to light novel) to acknowledge the fact that their games are generally very light on the RPG elements compared to Computer RPGs)

Attached: smug asuka.png (537x538, 693.46K)

>Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia and Arise are the best out of the ones available on Steam.
>Arise
The other two are fine, but Arise is so vastly different, mostly in the wrong ways. Don't listen to this user if you want nice, extensive RPGs.

Trails in the Sky and Tales of Symphonia are pretty nice for similar reasons. Mainly the story and characters while being pretty big in scope. Both also have pretty slow starts. The battle systems are a little dated, Symphonia's all the more so as it lacks one or two functions that are very notable. Aside from that, they also both had a lot of care put into them. Can't recommend newer entries of both series very much though.

Attached: RageThrough.jpg (576x507, 75.33K)

No. That is not the logic. The logic is that a "JRPG" has the traits that were commonly found in the Japanese made RPGs of the 80s and 90s (which defined the genre) such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and so on. This includes, but is not limited to - turn-based or ATB combat directly inspired by those games, a party system directly inspired by those games, a story that is barely there or is rife with anime melodrama, an anime or japanese media inspired art style, and menu-based gameplay. It doesn't matter where the game comes from. A RPG from Yugoslavia can have all of those elements and have direct inspiration from Suikoden and it's a JRPG even though it doesn't come from Japan. I wouldn't expect autists to understand this logic because their brains do not work correctly.

>The Japanese actually have a genre-classification for "console turn-based JRPG"-style games. LRPG, or Light RPG (similar to light novel) to acknowledge the fact that their games are generally very light on the RPG elements compared to Computer RPGs)
This is complete fanfiction, by the way. No such term exists.

If I lived in Iceland and made a turn-based RPG using RPG Maker 2000 that was almost a 1 to 1 copy of Final Fantasy IV, is that a JRPG or not? Please don't hesitate to explain why you are or are not retarded with your answer.

Well guys any good jrpg on sales?

SMT3 but get it on sale.

>The logic is that a "JRPG" has the traits that were commonly found in the Japanese made RPGs of the 80s and 90s (which defined the genre) such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, and so on.
Ultima*, Wizardry*

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Suikoden, and your made-up Yugoslavia game would all be WRPGs for taking influence from a Western video game.

All action RPGs, however, are JRPGs. The Japanese pioneered action RPGs in 1984 with titles such as Courageous Perseus, Dragon Slayer, and Hydlide, all games which predate Japanese turn-based RPGs, by the way.

Attached: OK kid.jpg (431x450, 69.99K)

That is simply not how anyone talks about or uses this terminology. Stop bastadarizing well established terms and making everything more confusing.

Attached: 9b-lindblum_50b.jpg (1765x1214, 1.58M)

I like to refer to manga as comics specifically because it makes geeks like you seethe.

All video games are western because of pong.

Makes sense to me.

Attached: 1643672128166.jpg (969x726, 185.5K)

Manga is just the Japanese word for comic. That is a perfectly acceptable interchangeable term.

You know language evolves, people invent and adopt terminology to communicate clearly with one another, and idea come and goes.
You sir, seem to suggest that things cannot change nor should they, while living in a society that has been evolving in changing since the beginning of times. Most rpg fan understand the type of game that is the jrpg subgenre, but you will fervently fight for your shitty opinion to prevail so that you might feel superior to others.
Let this be my final sentence to you: metroidvania is a genre, soulslike is a genre, roguelike is a genre, jrpg is a genre, wrpg is a genre and your mom is a whore beyond measure.

This but I call visual novels games

>JRPG is not a genre.
>Immediately describes it as a genre

Ugly ass shit looks worse than any ps1 game

I'm in final chapter now and can guarantee this game is dog shit

>Good jRPGs on Steam
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3
Elden Ring
Dragon's Dogma

It can change, it just hasn't in this particular case beyond some idiots trying to make well established terms more confusing.

>Trails in the Sky
It's excellent for what it is. If you like Final Fantasy or Super Mario RPG it has the same soul. The art style and environments are ultra cozy and the plot is alright too. I have no regrets buying the first and second games.

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 36.32K)

Metroidvania describes gameplay
Soulslike describes gameplay
Roguelike describes gameplay
Japanese does not describe gameplay
Western does not describe gameplay

This is the perfect post to get started. Just look through popular franchises like Final Fantasy or Tales, and check what looks better to you. The fame of the best ones will be undeniable.

Not an argument; Chunsoft (Dragon Quest) worshiped Ultima; Ultima was extremely successful in Japan and was a best-seller during the 1980s.
Falcom (Dragon Slayer, Trails, Ys), even, almost had a partnership with the creators of Ultima

Attached: Bog call.jpg (500x500, 30.4K)

>Japanese does not describe gameplay
>Western does not describe gameplay
No, but JRPG and WRPG describe gameplay and pretty much anyone with a familiarity of the RPG genre know what those terms communicate in terms of gameplay styles and differences. This entire argument that you started, and by extension you, are retarded.

I'm not making an argument. I don't even know what side of the discussion you are for or against. I'm just being funny and making fun of people thinking westerns can make Japanese games.

DIDnapper 2

>Implying it doesnt describe gameplay
It also describe the type of story the game is gonna have.

>I don't like padding
I wouldn't call them padded, as even random NPCs can be interesting in Trails. And they often change their dialogues, so it was fun for me to talk to them again at different points.
FF8 is probably the "comfiest" FF, as it even has those moments that feel slightly "slice of life"-like.

sky trilogy is great

>JRPG and WRPG describe gameplay
They don't though. There are only trends of what kind of RPG games happened to be made in Japan or the west. It's not a trait of the game itself.

JRPG is just a shorthand of Japanese RPG.

Attached: 1645770457888.jpg (650x895, 109.02K)

I wanna get into Atelier, is the arland trilogy a good starter point?
They're finally on sale after eons because fuck KT and their premium.

Attached: 1633551116634.jpg (756x756, 419.55K)

They don't, and no people clearly don't know what they communicate, hence the arguing over the terms for the better part of two decades. If you play Final Fantasy Tactics, you have absolutely zero reference for what kind of game you're going to be playing when you boot up Ys Origin. And yet both are called "JRPG" instead of the far more sensible classifications of ARPG/SRPG (which actually describe gameplay).

>Symphonia, Vesperia and Arise are the best out of the ones available on Steam.
>Arise
>Best
>Arise
Fuck off.

Attached: 1650758416957.gif (480x270, 770.95K)

This. ARPG, SRPG, CRPG and "N niggas in a row" are superior monikers

Exactly, JRPG is mostly a terrible term and should probably stop being used, but if it is going to be used it should at least be used to describe a Japanese RPG.

It would be more sensible to use ARPG or SRPG and if the are made in Japan you could even call it a Japanese ARPG.

You might even call it a JARPG, but then some idiots will start to believe JARPG is a genre and that westerns can make Japanese ARPGs.

Attached: 1649935817354.png (225x225, 6.8K)