Muh year of the Linux Desktop

>muh year of the Linux Desktop
>muh Linux gaming
>muh Valve is going to kill Windows gaming
Meanwhile Linux market share on steam remains at 1% after all the time and resources valve put into Linux gaming

Attached: 1651253643324.gif (512x512, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/2015-June/415676.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And you can do is seethe about it.

Attached: 1649472736825.jpg (1000x598, 176.87K)

Linux will never be mainstream. EVER. The sooner /g/ trannied accept this, the better

Windows shills are afraid.

valve is constantly growing. the fact that linux is staying stable at 1% is impressive.

I mean steam, not valve.

Linux fucking sucks
No I do not want to tinker with my OS. I just want shit to fucking work.

So don't fucking use it then, you don't have to.
Unless of course you are afraid that Linux will take over Yea Forums and you'll have to install it to fit in.
In that case, don't worry it won't, but also, the fuck is wrong with you?

There was some user who was kind enough to want to help me when I said I was experiencing some graphics troubles with Tropico 3 after updating WINE/GPU driver. I just want to say, it's 'fixed' now. Only had to disable AA.
winehq.org/pipermail/wine-bugs/2015-June/415676.html

fpbp

Attached: watch-linus-torvalds-has-his-name-written-on-a-t-33-fighter-jet-aircraft-487295-5.jpg (2304x3449, 571.86K)

Fedora Silverblue is for you then.

I hope it won't, I don't want you retarded zoomers who can't even read on Linux.

That's not necessarily bad.
I like Linux not for gaming but because it's a better Operating System than Windows or iOS.

>linux is bad because.... She'll scripting is too hard
>I don't know what cd and ls mean therefore linux too hard to use

Why should I care what normalfags use?

Attached: 1643080575023.jpg (948x570, 95.5K)

>better Operating System than Windows or iOS.
it will be shit when all those zoomers infest it. then we have to switch again. I think you don't understand the bad shit it will be

I'm just annoyed by the constant shilling and elitism of linux users. They make out their OS to be so incredibly amazing yet ignore the very valid reasons some people wouldn't ever want to use it.
Haven't heard of it yet. Tell me more.

Yes I am in the top 1% of smartest PC users, thank you for noticing, winlet

who you talking to, sweetheart?

We don't talk about linux to convince you to use it, we do it to piss you off.

>_

and linux gaming remains the sole reason tf2 hacker bots exist.

Attached: activatealmonds.png (948x1014, 33.63K)

>You type in "mkdir [folder name]" to make a new folder instead of right clicking on the pretty picture and selecting make a new folder.

You only get presented with the Steam Survey on Linux if:
You are only using Steam on Linux, using Steam on other platforms will present it to you on those other platforms.
You are using desktop mode, the survey does not present in either the old big picture, or on the Steam Deck.

Linux users get under counted in part because Linux users are more likely to be enthusiasts with Steam on multiple devices and only get counted on those devices.
While Windows users get over counted mostly due to Steam seeing logins at Chinese net cafes as users with new systems.
This is a long standing and known issue that Valve still hasn't fixed.

steam is not growing its backwards, it is still under lawsuit by EU, DRM, it still banneds random games at will, does not offer trading the games you bought when it can in theory, scam it's customers into believing steam deck is an PC (it's not), etc.

Steam does nothing to the gaming community.

don't stop there,
>mkdir --parents ~/sub/folder/for/ever/and/ever/fuck/gui/lets

Attached: okaythen.png (3825x1031, 3.48M)

Mainstream, you mean gaystream. Don't wanna be in your gaystream

Its not like Windows which is one size fits all garbage for whatever group Microsoft decides to target.
Users will run distros set up to appeal to them, when users get annoyed enough at a distro they'll abandon it, which is what is happening to Ubuntu now.

None of this has anything to do with growth retard. Growth is active accounts numbers going up. Active accounts numbers are going up. Steam is growing.

>scam it's customers into believing steam deck is an PC
Please elaborate in what way the Steam Deck is not an IBM compatible open platform Personal Computer.

Ubuntu is pretty psychotic. Imagine being a freetard and pimping a distro with a fucking Amazon button

I hope distros like Arch won't
>a distro with a fucking Amazon button
when was the last time you have used Ubungoo or ever heard about the shit with this? I think you never used linux. you sound like a zoomer who cattles shit

>shilling
Having threads where we talk about gaming on linux isn't shilling, they're made so we can talk among other people who do the same thing. It's not our fault people who hate it come in to get angry at it.
>elitism
That does exist for real don't get me wrong but a lot of it is playful ribbing, kinda like when people argue over anime waifus.
>They make out their OS to be so incredibly amazing yet ignore the very valid reasons some people wouldn't ever want to use it.
It's amazing *to me*, there's so much more customization and shortcutting I can do that I'm willing to put up with the very real drawbacks on linux like not being able to play certain EAC games, alternativeto.net has me pretty much covered on everything non-gaming, and ani-cli takes as much headache out of watching shows I want to watch as you possibly could. Basically the final thing that would have me using it full time instead of keeping a windows partition around just in case is the fact that SteamVR needs more work on linux.

Just as you have very valid reasons you don't want to use linux, I have very valid reasons that I do. You're not required to join me, but I do politely ask that you don't get angry at me for preferring it. I just like that on linux there actually feels like it's actually growing into something better over time, I don't get that feeling from windows, I feel like windows is only getting worse post-XP, hence why I try and make my linux LOOK like XP while still keeping modern features that make it not a 1:1 facsimile, like virtual desktops and such, it reminds me of when I actually had fun using an operating system and looked forward to the future of technology instead of being afraid of how much more dysfunctional, invasive, and locked down it can get.

That's not elitism, that's an opinion.

Attached: Expose theme.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

I use arch. Ubuntu kept the Amazon button for almost 6 years, it was tone-deaf and retarded. Fuck Ubuntu

i can press f10 on dolphin and a new folder will be made

>I hope distros like Arch won't
There's room for both distros targeted at mainstream users and designed to prevent them from hurting themselves like ChromeOS and SteamOS, as well as room for distros that do far less to hold users hands like Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware.
Distros will last as long as there are users invested in them to keep them going.

What is preventing anti-cheat implementations from working on Linux?

Shift+Ctrl+N in Nautilus, or right click "New Folder"

In the file save dialog there is also a button with a folder icon that allows you to create and name a new directory to save files.

Anticheat niggers lying about the simplicity of enabling Linux compatibility.

Wine is a win32 compatibility layer, the malware called "Anti-cheat" by its creators exploits bugs and undocumented behavior in the NT kernel.
GNU/Linux being a far more secure platform for users, is far less friendly to malware vendors since there is no guarantee for them that serious low-level security exploits will remain unfixed for them to use.

Silverblue is similar to mac and Windows in that it doesn't let you change core components of the operating system. It literally disallows tinkering. It also has automatic updates and it rolls back to the previous working version if something goes wrong with your system.

>anti-Linux seethe thread
Actually pathetic. Just discuss what you like instead of being butthurt about things that literally cannot hurt you.

Fair enough. Apologies for my shitty post, some Linux users just piss me off with their attitude like nothing else and are even proud of it, like My favorite Windows is also XP (with 7 being a close second). It's just been getting worse. Is it hard to make your Linux look like that? What is the gaming performance like?

Literally all linux gayming does is it emulates windows. DXVK is just a wrapper for directx.

So basically gaming on linux = gaming on windows + performance overhead. It's like playing on an emulator vs the actual console.

Wine is not an emulator

>pretending native games don't exist
lol.

Steam literally fixed Chinese account numbers because you lincucks complained about it, stop having a victim complex.

>Is it hard to make your Linux look like that?
It's KDE Plasma with the "Expose" global theme and konsole with a profile manually colored to make the text look greyish, you just go into System Settings -> Appearance -> get new global themes -> Search expose and it's there.
>What is the gaming performance like?
Depends on the game. Some stuff runs better in proton like Elden Ring, some stuff runs worse. The OS generally feels smoother because EndeavourOS uses half the RAM as windows during idle when using KDE Plasma. It's not all good or all bad, it's a sidegrade of performance. But the performance difference has never been noticeable enough for me to go "ew, my dropped frames!"

The one complaint I do have is with Xorg, which does not like multi-monitor setups if each of your monitors have different refresh rates. It'll pick the monitor with the lowest refresh rate among all of them and that'll be your game's maximum framerate. Wayland is the talk of the town because of this, but Wayland is very early development so it's not going to be something that will be in top shape right now. If this thing with xorg concerns you, I'd just use windows for now and come back in like 3 years. It doesn't bother me though.

wine is faster than windows

except it literally is. It doesn't emulate entirety of windows sure, but it emulates things needed for gaming like net framework and such

all 5 of them sure, however 99% of the games out there aren't developed natively for linux

literal mathematical impossibility

>attitude like nothing else and are even proud of it
I act elitist because there is nothing to gain by courting normalfags. Those that need to be convinced won't get anything out of it anyway. Those that will get something out of it don't need to be convinced. Never cast pearls and all that.

>Literally all linux gayming does is it emulates windows.
If you think Wine is an emulator, you also have to accept that Windows NT OSes runs win32 applications through an emulator. The architecture is very similar.
No modern OS has truly native support for these games.

>DXVK is just a wrapper for directx.
DXVK is better thought of as a vendor neutral D3D 9, 10, and 11 driver. Vulkan is actually lower level or at the same leval of some of the internal vendor APIs that were used to implement high level APIs in the past.
The only thing that slows it down is it not being tightly integrated with and optimized for a single hardware type. Something that might change now that Valve is even more invested in AMD RDNA2 hardware with the Steam Deck.

Just look at RadeonSI which is implemented on the mid-level Gallium API and is the highest performance OpenGL driver around.

It doesn't emulate and your lack of understanding shows you've been filtered

Attached: anons pc.jpg (287x315, 15.79K)

They haven't, they just occasionally adjust the numbers when they realize that they're over counting fake systems.

Just like they still haven't fixed Steam never presenting to Linux users who have multiple devices, or who only use big picture / tablet mode.
They probably need to add a dropdown into the survey that straight up asks users if they dual boot or have other devices.

You are doing the kikery where you are taking the words literally rather than the spirit or the meaning behind them.

Let me guess, anglo or american?

>all 5 of them sure, however 99% of the games out there aren't developed natively for linux
About 15% of Steam's games are natively Linux-compatible, though. No, I am not including Deck Verified or ProtonDB Platinum games for Windows; I'm referring to native games only. Educate yourself before posting again.
>b-but 15% is still low!
Okay. No need for you to lie about it then.

He's literally right though, a translation layer CAN be faster than an emulator

EXOSISTERS FULL PACK WHEN REEE

>99% of the games out there aren't developed natively for linux
Neither are 99% of games developed natively for modern Windows.
Which is why so many games have major issues on Windows 10.

The majority of games today are console-first even if they are built on PCs.
While Microsoft wants to make Windows PCs into simply Xboxes that run Office they haven't yet fully accomplished that and most games released on PC are still made using the old open platform APIs that Microsoft has deprecated and which Valve is attempting to Embrace and Extend taking a page from Microsoft's own playbook.

>ESL
Of course.
No sir, it is you who are to be doing the kikery and then be the taking of the words in the literally rather than with the spirit or the meaning held within behind them. DO NOT REDEEM THE LINUX!

it's possible if the operating system is faster.

*nerfs psi for no reason*

Gm sirs

>Literally all linux gayming does is it emulates windows.
For which of these games do you think I'm "emulating Windows"?

inb4
>No!!! You can't just have a specific taste in games that invalidates my stupid argument! You must consume Latest Japanese Action-RPG™ and Current Online Shooter™!!

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-05-01 11-05-15.png (1920x1080, 921.48K)

>repeatedly uses the word "literally"
>gets mad when people take it literally
Eat shit.

>Meanwhile Linux market share on steam remains at 1%
That doesn't matter, it still works on my machine.