I just finished the first 4 Halo games and here's my take

I just finished the first 4 Halo games and here's my take.
Halo 1 - 3 was an action adventure, Master Chief had a sense of humour, and there were many moment where you realised what a badass he is, such as riding a bomb in space to the enemy ship. It's kinda corny, but kinda awesome.

Halo 4 is "muh gritty realism", the first thing you hear is "I thought you'd be taller". Master Chief is no longer a badass, he's now starring in a melodrama. There are no jokes, no scenes where characters go "wow Chief is a badass", they wanted to ground him as a character. To bring him down from being a mysterious action hero to a regular soldier with problems.

This is a common pattern in other media, the deconstruction of a character. To make them more "realistic", which in the end just makes them less interesting.

You see the same with Hitman when they decided to give him a drama origin story.

Background information should be in the background, don't make a game out of it.

Attached: 1624351105454.jpg (1920x1080, 258.83K)

You're right, that's why Halo 1-3 completely shit on Halo 4 and 5, glad Infinite is a return to form for Halo and Chief when it comes to the campaign. Just an action adventure with Master Chief being badass and funny, killing aliens and saving the day. Of course, Yea Forums's going to deny this because 343 but that is Halo. I wish Halo Infinite was Halo 4 and we never got the Halo 4 we got.

Remember when they tried to kill off Chief and replace him with a black guy?

Attached: 1643678112682.webm (1282x720, 1.21M)

I don't want to remember it, fuck Microsoft and 343 for that one.

I actually kinda liked Hitmans backstory. I don't think they bombed it or made him any less cool. I love him just as much as I always have.

>generic evil monkey that gives generic evil speech about destroying humanity (for the whole game)
>said evil monkey does the generic i'll kill you (not really) trope
>retard sidekick for melodramatic moments
>Even more cortana drama
>ubisoft gameplay

truly a return to form

Play Reach.

Attached: 1651277227345.jpg (1080x1080, 1.06M)

Funny that Metroid also fell into this after Super Metroid with the 2D games until Samus Returns fixed things and Dread fully fixed things.

Significantly better than the pile of shit campaigns they made before. Halo is an action series, take that away and turn it into some shitty drama and it goes to shit, example, the Halo TV series.

Yeah, I agree, but it was really more of the same with 343, Halo 4 wasn't any better in that regard imo.

Attached: 1632964309029.png (944x222, 65.74K)

True, it was really shitty.

Yeah that’s the problem with western devs.
Every single characters has to be the fucking Batman & be sad :(

Of course Microsoft & by extension 343i misunderstood the appeal of Halo & assumed the story & setting were the appeal, when in reality it was the tone that made it all fun.
As OP says halo is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek and deliberately over the top, played straight but self aware.
The writers at 343i ironically went in a far more generic direction while being less self aware. The ludicrous nature of a super soldier with huwt feewings is never laughed at, nor is the drama of an AI being a fragile flower.
This is what you get when the developers just have no interest in the source material & decide to make an existing series their own because they can't create anything good on their own, and deep down they know it.
You see the results of this in their touchy behaviour online. Remember when the community manager fucked up royally earlier this year and stopped working, giving the excuse "I'm like really worried about ukraine guys and it's just like really hard atm"? That's the type of culture at 343i and it's why everything they ever make will only ever be dogshit delivered late with a bad attitude.

>The writers at 343i ironically went in a far more generic direction while being less self aware.
Yeah it was copy paste storyline from a hundred other realistic dramas.

I think the difference between Bungie and 343 can be summed up as Bungie's Cortana would have survived at the end, at the very least.
343's cynicism probably comes from working at Microsoft, they can't just have fun.

Basically, this, it's why they backpedaled hard after Halo 5 because they knew they fucked Halo up, only reason they get it now because of constant dumbing downs, constant firings, and hiring Joe Staten who forced them to go with an even simpler story because Master Chief's storylines are meant to be and supposed to be simple, not some melodramatic bullshit.

Are you zoom zooms to young to remember that Bungie was owned by Microsoft for years? The cringe serious shit started with Reach and to a lesser extend ODST. 343i continued the trend, but they are more incompetent.

Fuck off, faggot, Bungie knew to keep that shit on the side and not make Chief a sad sack, they also knew how to not shit up Cortana and then kill her off so they could push their shitty direction. Infinite's campaign is 343 admitting that their direction for Halo was shit while Bungie's was the true Halo since they went back to making the campaign more like a Bungie Halo campaign over their shit.

Holy shit. Stop dick riding bungie. Where was I defending 343? Just pointing out that Bungie started the bullshit and then bailed (smart decision)

Bungie wasn't ever planning to ruin Chief's storyline, Marcus told his version of Halo 4 and it had nothing to do with what we got, short story, was going to expand of the Forerunners but unlike 343, still keep them a mystery, Chief would have looked and acted like Chief, not a sad little bitch boy for character assassination, Cortana would have acted like Cortana without the rampancy bullshit, Cortana would have survived in the end. None of the garbage 343 shitted out in 2012.

ODST was more of an atmospheric piece, interviews give off this impression.
Reach was a lot more like an action-adventure as OP described the originals, though taking place on Reach the ending necessitated a different tone, and up to a certain point it still felt like the UNSC could push the Covenant back. I don't agree with all the decisions made in the development of Reach, narratively, visually, mechanically etc, but it was Bungie's last game, so of course they probably wanted to experiment a bit. By no means was 343 obligated to carry forward ALL of the changes Bungie made to the formula, let alone exacerbate the problems with them (e.g. loadouts, once tied to gamemode, now tied to player).
A personal gripe with the game visually is that they went with MJOLNIR but also Spartan IIIs, SPI would've been cool, and they've had players control a character not in MJOLNIR before with ODST, so I don't think there really would've been a problem with it. It was probably a marketing decision as well as related to the customization, so I guess it couldn't be helped.

I don't know dude. I replayed halo 3 and it's chock full of Cortana emo bullshit.

>glad Infinite is a return to form for Halo and Chief when it comes to the campaign.
it has the aesthetics of the original series but still plagued by 343 writing.

not him, but despite all the Cortana bullshit in 3, including the slow downs, it's somehow the less obnoxious with it than any 343 games.

Yet Cortana still acts like Cortana, unlike the shit we got in Halo 4. Chief and Cortana's relationship in Halo is also the same as it always was, a partnership between two friends, nothing more.

I get it, but it feels like many here weren't around for the flame wars trashing Bungie back in 2010. Halo 3 and ODST were also skewered all the time.

It dropped the melodrama bullshit, can see it happening again. Now it's just Chief stopping the bad guys and protecting humanity and the galaxy like the old days.

>halo 1-3: bungie
>halo 4: 343
343 turned halo into the coca cola of videogames, it’s a franchised corporate soulless moneygrab now

Agreed, just saying that Bungie started the bullshit.
You really think so? I perceived a huge difference from the Cortina of CE and 2 to 3. Granted it's not as extreme as Halo 4 and 5.

Yeah, even the ending for Halo 3, it felt more like close friendship.

>counts halo 4 as part of the first 4
NGMI

*can't

I'm not referring to their relationship, but Cortanas personality.

>343
not halo

Attached: 1621374454439.jpg (1280x720, 167.58K)

I liked Halo 4
>b-but romance
So what? You realize you're looking down on it while praising the equivalent of a peg-13 action movie with aliens

Her personality is the same as it was in Halo CE and 2, nothing like the crap 343 pulled with her in Halo 4 and 5.

look I have some tiny amount of hope for Infinite's single player dlcs, if they drop the open world, because Joe Staten knows how to write Halo. The base game story sucks ass, I genuinely prefered Halo 4s melodrama because at least a story happened in that game, you cited the bad guys specifically which was a huge issue for me, the brute (who I've genuinely forgotten his name) was completely uncompelling as he literally just wanted to fight. He wasn't even endearing in his simplicity, he listened to him for 10 hours talk about fighting Chief and that was it. Meanwhile Harbinger appeared in-person literally twice, probably only had 5 or 10 minutes of actual screen time, and then died during her second on screen appearance, which is *exactly* what the Didact did in Halo 4.

Kill yourself, Halo's gameplay and sandbox comes before the story and if the story isn't Chief saying badass lines, Cortana being funny and helpful, humanity getting their shit kicked, and evil bad guy doing evil thing, and Chief stopping it, it's shit. No one plays Halo to see Chief cry and mope all day, people play Halo to see him kicking alien ass, blowing shit up, uncovering mysteries, and saving everyone. It takes 10 seconds to see what anyone liked from the garbage TV series and what they didn't like. Guess what, people only liked the parts where Chief kept his fucking helmet on and killed aliens. Also, we fight the Harbinger, meanwhile Didact dies in a quick time event. Infinite has a better story because I not cringing every second to the point of wanting to shut the game off unlike Halo 4. Halo 4 was so gay.

Not him, but I disliked it because of how boring the world and levels are, i can't give a shit about the story since 343 retcons everything they do anyways, i'd rather keep getting spin-offs, there's nothing that can be done with Halo's story without repeating the same shit

God, that fucking TV show...
Fucking hate that shit. I wonder how much say 343 had in the creation of that travesty.

>Kill yourself, Halo's gameplay and sandbox comes before the story
Too bad it sucks in Infinite
>and if the story isn't Chief saying badass lines, Cortana being funny and helpful, humanity getting their shit kicked, and evil bad guy doing evil thing, and Chief stopping it, it's shit.
You're somehow more retarded than MCU obsessed manchildren, seriously Chieffag stop trying to defend Infinite, it's pathetic

I didn't say I liked Halo 4, and I didn't praise it's gameplay. I'm with you user on gameplay>story but all I said was if I had to choose a story I would pick 4's well before Infinite's.
>Also, we fight the Harbinger, meanwhile Didact dies in a quick time event.
This is not the point I was making, I was highlighting how both Harbinger and Didact only appear in-person twice and the second time being their deaths, they're both completely wasted.

Hey I remember you. You've been awful quiet these past few weeks. What made you come out of your humiliated silence to defend Infinite again?

Given that Kiki's on it, probably a lot, women can't write for shit.

>I want Master Chief to whine, cry, and hate the UNSC like some rebelling teenager
maybe you should just stick to the trash that is Halo 4, 5, and the TV show. Also, Halo Infinite's gameplay when it comes to the campaign is one of the most fun in the series.

>but I disliked it because of how boring the world and levels are
Halo 4 or Infinite, because that could honestly refer to both. If Infinite, yeah that open world is perhaps one of the worst I have played. I remember people criticising Mafia 2 and LA Noire for empty open worlds which was fair, but they at least had things to look at, Infinite didn't even have that.

>chieffag
ah fuck is he still around?

Attached: cheeffag when someone likes Halo2.png (254x400, 68.27K)

>>I want Master Chief to whine, cry, and hate the UNSC like some rebelling teenager
I never said that, good reading comprehension spic

4's story was insulting, if I'm talking more about Halo's story over the gameplay, you know there's a problem. I'll take Halo Infinite, it's closer to what Bungie used to do.

You care so much about Halo's storyline to choose Halo 4 off all games over Infinite's, like what?

He's trying to become another XV-kun. Shit man one Barry is enough

Holy fuck, you retard actually got baited with nostalgia

Not even the same user, how are you this stupid?

Good, if you care that much about Halo's storyline you should shoot yourself.

I never said anything about the story, are you retarded?

>I wonder how much say 343 had in the creation of that travesty.
I'm gonna copy/pasta a reply I had in another thread, but basically the show is just as much 343s fault as it is Paramounts if not more so given it was never Paramounts show to being with.

>They and MS already completely disowned the show
>Think about that, evem fucking 343 doesn't want to be involved with this.
user, it's quite the opposite, 343 have been working on this show since at least 2013. Kiki Wolfkill after Halo 4 was shipped was moved to the TV show project, which was originally a tie in to Halo 5 but Xbox TV Studios (not the name but that's what it was) shut down so 343 themselves shopped it around to existing film studios.
You know that quote about the showrunner saying "We didn't talk about the games"? The "We" in that quote was in reference to his conversations with 343, "343 and myself didn't talk about the games.". Paramount didn't even make the show, it was originally going to Showtime.

343 are not just a game studio, they run *everything* Halo. Game Freak makes Pokemon games, but Pokemon Company makes everything else, 343 just makes or approves *everything* Halo therefore the show has 343s implicty approval as they have veto power. Bonnie Ross, Frank O'Conner, and Kiki Wolfkill are all executive producers on the project.

This is just yet another 343 fuck up.

>Kiki Wolfkill
Knew it was that bitch and Frankie

This is the cringiest shit I've read in this website in years. Not even marvelfags are this lacking in self awareness. You're not even right because the MC never really cared about uncovering mysteries and more often than not he ends up saving only himself. Hell, he's the only survivor of Halo CE.

Is that why he found out that Halo kills all life in the galaxy, Halo's always been about that, humanity losing a war, discovering Forerunner junk, stopping aliens from using it, find something buried within Forerunner junk, have to save humanity and galaxy from the end. That's Halo anything more than that it's crap.

Are you stupid? By your own logic Halo 4 and 5 are Halo games, retard

lmao, no they're not, not even close even by that logic, you idiot. Halo 4 and 5 are about Chief character deconstruction, the fucking mystery gets dropped right at the start of the game because most of Halo 4 is trying to fix Cortana's period problem while Halo 5 was him running around like a retard with three other retards getting chase by some diversity group because his bitch on her period went full schizo. Yeah, very Halo. Look it's fine if Chief talks during gameplay but if it's to speak more than a word or sentence and he's not saying anything badass but some cringy garbage, then maybe it's best if he just shuts up entirely.

>Is that why he found out that Halo kills all life in the galaxy
Cortana found that out.

And told him/us

>lmao, no they're not, not even close even by that logic, you idiot

>Halo's always been about that, humanity losing a war
The Storm Covenant or whatever they were called and the forerunner bots
>discovering Forerunner junk
Literally Requiem and the Guardians
>stopping aliens from using it
literally the plot of the two games
>find something buried within Forerunner junk
The guardians and whatever the forerunner bitch gave to John
>have to save humanity and galaxy from the end.
Stopping Didact/Cortana

Don't care about your mental gymnastics

Attached: 1651348490967.gif (221x320, 1.48M)

Halo 4 and 5 follow the same script.
>but Chief and Cortana have emotions now! That's bad!
Grow the fuck up or press the skip buttom. You claim gameplay is king but all I see you is complaining the other games don't follow your manchild idealization of an action movies for kids. And btw Cortana was throwing flirts at Chief during all three first games, but I guess the explosions were too distracting for you to notice. Or just too young.

but you point was Chief found out, but Cortana found out and told him.

Don't even bother, he goes full retard when somebody points that out and starts talking about atmosphere or whatever the fuck he pulls out of his ass

>The Storm Covenant or whatever they were called and the forerunner bots
I don't see humanity losing here.
>Literally Requiem and the Guardians
Requiem is the only thing and they fuck it up right in the second and third level of the game. Guardians was something Cortana found and felt so worthless that I constantly kept forgetting about them because they really didn't show them doing anything but floating in place.
>literally the plot of the two games
What were they stopping exactly?
>The guardians and whatever the forerunner bitch gave to John
Guardians were buried everywhere, even up Chief's ass.
>Stopping Didact/Cortana
Didn't feel like I stopped anything. One game was press button to end game, the other was move forward to end game.

>or press the skip buttom
It's literally in the gameplay, lmao. I can't skip shit.
>And btw Cortana was throwing flirts at Chief during all three first games
>throwing in flirts means they love each other
What?

We all found out after Cortana found out but it was something to shock you and at that point, you're asking the question "so how do we stop it?".

>Don't even bother
You do know that guy's defending Halo 4 and 5, right?

>I don't see humanity losing here
Did you forget the stranded humans getting butchered? Or the fact that the Didact actually ended up killing a lot of people with his $5 death star?
>What were they stopping exactly?
Oh gee I don't know retard, maybe the Covenant? The fucking forerunner Darth Vader? Cortana and her robots?
>Guardians were buried everywhere, even up Chief's ass.
Irrelevant
Didn't feel like I stopped anything. One game was press button to end game, the other was move forward to end game.
Oh, so like every game that came before it

>Pointing something out ≠ defending
Dumbass

Remember when Halo 4 made Chief the chosen one in a long-winded cutscene that was essentially just a conversation with Librarians ghost? And then the big bad Forerunner villain was a one-off who was killed in a QTE?