ITT: games that flopped so bad that they bankrupted an entire company

ITT: games that flopped so bad that they bankrupted an entire company

Attached: file.png (1000x1379, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamespot.com/articles/emi-suing-def-jam-rapstar-devs-for-at-least-8-million/1100-6368811
gamerant.com/def-jam-rapstar-sued-emi-8-million/
mcvuk.com/business-news/def-jam-rapstar-dev-sued-for-8m/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the classic. even got a fucking state to sue them

Attached: Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning_cover.png (258x386, 232.79K)

Attached: images (62).jpg (739x415, 43.56K)

That was actually kinda fun if you like hack and slash
>bankrupted

I mean it's technically true. It's what set the catalyst for their massive layoffs and eventual sale to Microsoft

wasnt there a baseball player involved as well ?

The company died because they used Unreal Engine without consent and got sued

Sometimes I think Activision did them a favor and not absorbed them into CoD.

Attached: Prototype 2 - landscape keyart.jpg (1920x1200, 321.1K)

yup, curt schilling formed a game studio with 0 experience, took a loan from the state of RI, and the game tanked so hard it bankrupted the studios and RI sued curt.

>curt schilling
who

still don't get how this game has defenders, the most generic uninspired RPG I have ever had the displeasure of playing

Killed modern square.

Attached: file.png (592x841, 588.28K)

he's one of those real life esports guys

Attached: 1651368575820.jpg (2388x1807, 999.34K)

what a fag

saw that movie in theaters. unironically loved it.

>I mean it's technically true
Nah. If anything that would be Dungeon Siege 3's fault.

From what I remember the movie just acted as a trailer for their character license idea and they were fully bagging on those license deals to come a knocking.

Fallout 4 sold hand over fist, what the fuck are you talking about? Even if you think the game is shit, it sold like hotcakes.

>pursues his dreams and explores new territory in his adult life after success in one field
>gets called a fag on anonymous message boards

SK fucking said this would be a trilogy too.

Game itself was fine. I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Silicon Knights was just run by ACTUAL criminals

There was that Def Jam karaoke game that somehow didn't get the rights to the songs featured in it and the developer got sued into oblivion.

Attached: 1620864487355.gif (200x118, 1.16M)

Does anyone have the Tooth Man edit?

Too Human is based
It’s actually a fantastic game

>It’s actually a fantastic game
no

Attached: Lair.jpg (345x400, 47.92K)

>Thought they could use songs by Kanye West, DMX, and Lil Wayne and that no one would notice

Attached: BMX_XXX.jpg (800x1149, 115.66K)

I have a weird kinda nostalgia for this kinda thing - y'know, where the entire logic is
>here is a game
>also tits
And it managed to get on physical game store shelves

Is this real? cause all i can find are articles saying theyre getting sued for not paying back bank loans

What was this movie about? Ghost apocalypse?

Yeah they used songs without clearing the copyright properly and got sued by EMI

Governments be like: let's just give people money and we will turn our town into silicon valley!

>couldnt get Dave Mirra due to court ruling
>devs just slapped strippers on there instead
fucking based

>Dave Mirra fucking killed himself back in 2016
damn

gamespot.com/articles/emi-suing-def-jam-rapstar-devs-for-at-least-8-million/1100-6368811

gamerant.com/def-jam-rapstar-sued-emi-8-million/

mcvuk.com/business-news/def-jam-rapstar-dev-sued-for-8m/

i mean, it's not a bad idea, states do tax breaks and shit to businesses all the time. the difference was that curt didn't know what the fuck he was doing and neither did the state comptrollers when they approved the loan because they were clueless boomers.

I remember watching this after Advent Children came out and I don't remember shit about it

Attached: ShenmueDCbox.jpg (318x313, 25.55K)

>Dave Mirra fucking killed himself back in 2016
what the fuck I don't remember this

story?

Attached: 42444506a77641939607ce6981f071cd.jpg (800x800, 233.92K)

He was diagnosed with brain rot and spent his last day driving around visiting friends/family. Pretty sad way to go but insanely based to be able to on his own terms.

Attached: f54b95e80b88458180df3a5e428ef9c6.jpg (800x800, 106.86K)

Didn't they just make Virtua Fighter 5 last year? And like 60 games in between then and now?

Attached: beca9171ac6f4bf9b97d6c3bb2e89989.jpg (800x600, 80.19K)

>Cliff Blesinzki thinks he can release another overwatch as soon as overwatch comes out

Perfect.
>Not only did it help sink Atari, but it was one of the biggest factors in almost crashing the whole industry

I think it was about a bunch of animals that died in a mass extinction came back as spirits and could kill shit just by touching it, but then I'm just going on my memory from seeing it in theaters.

Attached: 1643517611483.jpg (278x359, 18.32K)

>It's what set the catalyst for their massive layoffs
No that was Obsidian's disgusting upper management

This seems pretty based, KoA wasn't great but it's much better than the bejeweled rip off I'd assume this old faggot would try to make.

Not much to say really.
>Dev wanted to make a life sim investigation game
>Cost 70 mirrion dorrar (making it the most expensive game at the time)
>Released on a console that was already at deaths door
>Flopped so badly some people still accredit it to Sega's downfall to this day
>For absolutely no fucking reason at all, dev gets signed on to do a sequel
>Microshit helped fund it because they wanted it on their new Xbox
>Flops. Again.
>Sega decides to gut the development team since they're incompetent
>Years later, lead dev goes to kickstarter for Shenmue 3 funding
>Constant delays but eventually comes out
>Flops a third fucking time.

>dude let's spend $100 million dollars on a final fantasy movie that's not really final fantasy

Attached: 1627258287311.jpg (518x594, 68.21K)

>immediately follows up with a hilariously unfinished F2P battle royale that nobody played and then the studio goes kaput
Does there exist a sadder attempt at a comeback than Boss Key Productions?

kek

meme franchise

>"We made an artificial actress that people will love and companies will hire out!"
>It's just an average short haired woman with zero definable features

Attached: Capture.png (236x295, 96.97K)

Attached: Choose_Your_Side.png (1708x960, 1.92M)

Attached: 1633723768757.jpg (1024x576, 84.22K)

Only the video game industry in NA, EU/UK and JP it had little to no affect.

what?

>In addition to the "countless" concussions he suffered during his career, his skull was fractured when he was hit by a car at 19 years old, and he also competed in boxing as an amateur
jesus

I unironically loved this game and I'm still disappointed the sequel never happened.

>world's first artificial actress to appear in multiple films in multiple roles.

Attached: 1644419589420.gif (320x240, 2.87M)

fag

how cliff got lucky with Gears of War I'll never know. it was probably all the fascism in the game that he accidentally created and then walked back

Nah it sold well enough. Midway was already dying before this game. This was just there send out game

Same, it had a great story and rich world shame too many fags were filtered by the difficulty.

I liked it but the entire game is like a prologue. I was fucking pissed when I played it and got to the ending, thinking the game was just starting.

the hentai

It's even worse, this game flopped so hard it caused Dennis Dyack to leave game development forever cause Epic Games fucked his ass in court.

Most weird turn of events of all was Kurt Schlichter becoming a conservative radio commentator after this.

Two Worlds and Too Human where my favorite RPGs on the 360. Along with Fable 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, and Dark Souls 1/2.
Frankly speaking, the 360 had better RPGs than PS3.

>Kurt Schlichter
lmao, JFC I am fucking retarded, I had the wrong guy in mind all along

It is a bad idea because the assumption is what people are lacking is money. When in reality, as you just pointed out it's actually human and institutional capital. You have learn how to do startups or video games, etc and it tends to be a tight knit group of people who are successful in doing that l.

Attached: bionic-commando-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg .png (968x1066, 1.8M)

Game was the ultimate power fantasy, because you're the chosen one in every capacity. This even extends to the difficulty, which was non-existent.

Seems like the most inspiring success story I've ever heard, the franchise that refuses to die.

New Vegas wasn't what killed Obsdiain. It was Microsoft being Microsoft that did them in.

That IS how. It's mediocre, so when someone says it's terrible people come out to say "It's not THAT bad." Because it isn't that bad, it's just not good either.

It's just what happens after hyperbole.

Also Yu Suzuki intended the story of Shemue to span SEVEN GAMES, yet even the third game goes nowhere

I blame it on the marketing team for never making it clear that this game wasn't supposed to be open-world. I knew it from the start that it wasn't supposed to be, but most reviewers got filtered because of it.

Why does duke paint his nails?

whomst remember

Attached: hazelol.jpg (432x500, 52.49K)

Behold.

Attached: 6j46.jpg (616x353, 105.25K)

He pretty much had one LAST chance to wrap up the story but instead stuck by his guns and made another cliffhanger. Can't fault the guy for his dedication but as this point it's unrealistic and he seems retarded.

Wasn’t Anthem the one that did the killing blow?

>whomst remember
I

Attached: 1642888938736.png (1528x2156, 2.9M)

People worship mediocre shit all the time and it confuses me. Same deal with that Mad Max game and every JRPG ever made.

Almost did, but the last straw for Free Radical was Battlefront 3 getting axed just before it went gold.

I always got these 2 mixed up

Attached: TimeShift_coverart.jpg (220x272, 21.83K)

>world's first digital actress

Attached: D_3do_cover.png (207x390, 133.13K)