Why, despite lacking the numerous gameplay improvements and QOL additions that the later games had...

Why, despite lacking the numerous gameplay improvements and QOL additions that the later games had, was this one so much memorable than anything that followed it?
>Inb4 "Because you played it first!"
Not an argument.

Attached: 112775-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg (800x1142, 219.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcegaming.info/2019/11/30/katsura-hashino-interview-with-den-fami-nico-gamer-about-persona-3-page-1-3/
megatengaku.wordpress.com/readings/interviews/persona-3-official-design-works-interview/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think it's honestly because the characters are better developed compared to future games. They should bring back forced Persona evolutions via story mode character development.

The calendar system and lack of full party control complement the story immensely, to the point where 4 and 5 just feel like half-assed ripoffs, and I say this as someone who started with 4.
Also the fact that 3 didn't pull it's punches and actually killed party members off.

unironic bump

Fuck off OP, P3 is garbage

It has the best written social links and it feels less like the world is just felating you and more like you're just opening a window into other person's tragedies, which hammers the message of the game home. Nothing in P4 or P5 comes close to The Sun arcana social link in P3.

Because you played it first. So did I.

the social links suck. fuck you guys for saying it's the best one. your minds are riddled with nostalgia.

The social link parts are inoffensive compared to the slogh that is tartarus and the combat system.

Filtered

Attached: Akinari.jpg (1280x720, 119.89K)

No no no no no you can't be defending shit like the gourmet king and that dumb kid who wanted to bang his teacher.

This. The staple mechanics of nusona were made to fit P3's themes, they're just haphazardly thrown in the later games.

Oh, but I am.

Attached: SEES.webm (800x600, 1.64M)

Man, too bad about what became of each of them. Only Mitsuru kept herself together.

Attached: 7bd6ccdd219aac05dc1a32f419b4b3e3.png (512x512, 108.18K)

lack of full party control just made the game shit. fuck off.

>about to get married to Chidori
>playing baseball

Stupei is doing great.

A character even says during the game that he has no girlfriend. Chidori's just fucking dead, and he just coaches little league.

because sovl

>dubshit
You didn't beat the game
t.played psp undub

Attached: scott.jpg (1920x1080, 64.8K)

>was this one so much memorable than anything that followed it?
For the same reason the three games that came before it were infinitely more memorable.
Creative drive and ambition triumphs polish.

nobody remembers those games.

>better cast and character arcs for the team are actually reflected in the story. Your upperclassmen actually act their role instead of everyone being a cheerleader for you.
>every night you get to hang out with your team in the dorms and check up on them and their own personal problems which all have proper arcs except for Mitsuru
>more of a sandbox since it doesn't railroad you like P5 or severely limit your options like (base) P4. Night times not being severely restricted lets you space out your dungeon crawling compared to rushing it all in one go.
>one dungeon with dynamic events and stuff like Death, compared to the foggy hallway simulator of P4.
>antagonist group is presented as an actual threat and there are two more antagonists after them
>the setting feels SMT-like with all the mystery behind the artificial island and the shadows.
Played it last, even after P2 btw. It's clearly the best one
>December is perfect
>tactics system filtered people who can't into basic instructions so there's slight gatekeeping
>the themes of the game are just better than 4 or 5. 4 is a weak retread of (part of) 2 and was done better in the freaking anime and 5 is all about obtaining freedom, which in every social link is only possible because of magic teenagers brainwashing people. P3 had the strongest themes by far.
4 is so overrated. It feels like a cheap asset flip compared to P3 but it actually had a good amount of development time. The anime did it justice better than the game. That was my first Persona game too.
>4, 5, 4 again, 2, 3
Liked 3 the most.

I do.

STR chads rise up

I like Persona 4 the most and it's a good sidegrade but I think P3 is more ambitious.

mi wife fuuka is so cute

Attached: Persona 4 (PS2 vs PC).jpg (3612x4052, 3.19M)

because it was fresh. it kept interesting parts of VNs and added gameplay, plus the visual style was neat, and thew whole japanese student life/metropolitan city was great. also best girl Mitsuru

Attached: 1588169962094.jpg (256x256, 20.58K)

>Night times not being severely restricted lets you space out your dungeon crawling compared to rushing it all in one go
Don't forget how they encourage you to not do things in one go with the realistic inclusion of characters actually getting tired or sick, including yourself.
>tfw you sleep in class to get over your tiredness and be ready to tackle tartarus again
This game was absolute fucking kino.

why is he a christian

My first Persona game was 4 and I ended up loving 3 more. Legit cried at the ending. Not something I'd admit to on anything other than an image board.

I thought it was a pile of flaming shit and one of the worst jrpgs I've ever played. Right down there with Xenosaga 2 and Lunar Dragon Song.

Attached: emoshit.jpg (1880x742, 147.2K)

Simply because it tried something original, while the next two games just copied it while missing the point.

>psp
You didn't even PLAY the game

What's your favorite JRPG(s)?

Because he is a Lawchad, a devout follower of the lord.

Unironically had the most SOUL

Resonance of Fate
Live A Live
Suikoden II
Unlimited SaGa

Attached: TFWint.jpg (3300x1600, 1.04M)

What? Junpei's going to college. He just coaches little league on the side.
Yukari's also going to college and works as an actress at the same time.
Akihiko took some time off college to go fight bears or whatever because he's an autist, but he's going back and wants to become a cop.
Fuuka's going to college full time.
Ken's just going to school normally.

Aside from Akihiko's autism, they all turned out okay.

Yeah, I'm thinking based

It's really not. The only things I can remember were how god awful some of the social links were, and the ending. And I played it for the first time 3 years ago.

The problem with the PC version is that it uses Golden, which was made for the PSVita. Most of the changes to the visuals were made in order to maximize visibility on a smaller screen in the hopes of diminishing eye strain.

This is the big one for me. P3's plot wasn't perfect, but I still remember the party's moments of character development that helped them grow both as a group and as individuals working through their own issues.

I do like social links with party members. They're the most important characters, it makes sense that you should be able to naturally hang out with them. But hiding all their potential development behind optional scenes that solely revolve around Protagonist-kun just neuters their ability to grow throughout the story.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad it there was some emphasis on branching dialogue throughout the main game that reflected your evolving relationships and the like, but I doubt they're ever going to start doing that.

Attached: P3_Akihiko.jpg (1001x564, 60.42K)

>Pic
Dangerously high levels of soul.

Actual party management.
This returned in 5 to an extent.
Different bosses requiring you to bring members you would normally ignore.
So in short, gameplay.
4 is a glorified vn.

I played 4 first, but 3 is still my favorite.

>mi wife
chidori's gonna beat your ass for this junpei

Attached: 1627561992041.jpg (374x112, 9.83K)

This, absolutely. The calender actually being woven into the narrative justifies tying the pace of the plot to it, unlike 4 and 5.

>This returned in 5 to an extent.
>Different bosses requiring you to bring members you would normally ignore.
When was that? I don't remember this, I just had the girls in my party the entire game because I didn't like any of the cast much and it was never an issue.

>party members actually grow and develop over the storyline and have their Personas resolve over the course of the story
>some of the worst links in the entire series

Take the good with the bad, I guess.

Because the relationship between characters feels real, Its fucking incredible for a jrpg to archieve that. The game reminds you that the universe dont circle around you:
>party members have their own friends and relationships excluding (you)
>you dont even became friends until later end of the game
>actual character development, after p3 if you took the character at the start and end of their games they're exactly the same except some "future plans" bullshit.
And I love the tactic system, at least it feels fresh and add charisma to the characters in that little clutch or fuck you moments in battle.

I cry. Very sad.

(1/2)

If you read interviews with Hashino from the months before the game’s release, it’s clear that he had an ambition to really connect with players and to make a “life-changing” piece of media. Here’s an excerpt of him talking about the ending:

>by playing the game, the player is sort of experiencing death (by proxy), which is something that we are all going to experience for real someday. It is my hope that by playing this game and realizing the true inevitability of death, the player will take a moment to think about life and death in the real world after turning the game off.

On the thematic function of social links:

>Lots of young people today feel no pressing urge to accomplish anything. They’re bored, lack interests, and their families seem to be doing well enough financially that these kids could live out their lives without lifting a finger. It is these kids in particular that I hope will consider forging Social Links, even calculated Social Links if necessary. Find people you share something in common with and enjoy being around, or find people you don’t have anything in common with and learn from your differences. I believe that differences can bring people together just as much as similarities.

From the “themes” section of the Persona 3 design document:

>The goals of the game, as an artistic work. Staking your life on something important, finding fulfillment in life through determination, and experiencing things that would be difficult or impossible in the real world, through roleplaying (like having sex?). This is offered with a story that makes one think about fulfillment in life via awareness of death. It is because one searches like their life depends on it, that they discover their dream. It is because one lives like each day is their last, that the dream comes true.

Attached: 001-600x400_jpg.png (600x400, 281.31K)

(2/2)

To put it bluntly, Persona 3’s story was an attempt to connect with and motivate fucking losers who want to die. If you were a fucking loser who wanted to die when you played the game, you probably loved it. Otherwise, the most memorable part of the experience was probably the 200-something near identical floors of shartarus.

You can feel how the team became more jaded in their representation and interaction with the player after Persona 3’s relatively poor sales. P3 ends with the player experiencing a “death by proxy”, followed by a fourth wall break in which Aigis thanks you for everything and talks with you about finding meaning in life without a need for escapism (“You don’t need to save the world…” etc.). Persona 4 features pic related, a socially retarded depressed virgin who stays at home and plays video games all day, and his battle theme is named after the first game in the Persona series (or the Megami Tensei series in general, depending on which version you’re playing).

The interviews I quoted if anyone is curious:
sourcegaming.info/2019/11/30/katsura-hashino-interview-with-den-fami-nico-gamer-about-persona-3-page-1-3/
megatengaku.wordpress.com/readings/interviews/persona-3-official-design-works-interview/

Attached: mitsuo.png (268x439, 100.63K)

Where was this Hashino during 4 and 5?

nah, 5 was better and more memorable
and i started with 3

>nah, 5 was better and more memorable

Attached: You must be 18+ to post here.gif (400x300, 22.14K)

Soul.

Also they should try something new with P6. P3 formula is getting stale

Certain party members refusing to go to Tartarus on certain nights because they have shit going on was a fucking cool mechanic that made them feel like they had a life outside of MC

too busy fucking with yumi kawamura

Fez is shit, P3P is the definitive P3. The FeMC route isn't canon (in the timeline we observe) but nice so don't even come at me with that troon reply. P3P male canon route.

5 is indeed superior but this is to be expected since it's a newer game.
The dungeons are great and the preparation before them is very satisfying.

Maybe make it medieval with a proper base of operations.
Even real time combat, Final Fantasy and Yakuza started doing this.

t. coomer

spankety

>tfw played it P5 > P4 > P3 > P1 >P2IS/EP

Attached: 1620807169747.jpg (1445x1242, 206.72K)

Persona 3 sucks. Losing a fight because an AI decided to do dumb shit isn't fun.