Why did Sony stop making handheld consoles?

PSP was massive success. Even Vita was alright.
Why did Sony completely abandon handled market? Sure they can't compete with Nintendo but surely there must be big enough market for thosr who want to play games other than Pokemon, Mario and Zelda that are not pixelated 30 FPS, 720p garbage?

Attached: 193428-ngp-fail_header.jpg (620x349, 47.77K)

>Why did Sony completely abandon handled market?
Long story short, SIE America believes handheld gaming is dead.

cuz phones

Basically this. Sony didn’t exactly help the situation with their boneheaded decisions, like the memory cards and dropping mainline support after a year. Smartphones, however, became a big deal around that time and it spooked Sony (and Nintendo to a lesser extent). Kids in particular never used to have smartphones, and it wasn’t even a guarantee that they would have flip phones either. Past 2012, every mother got their kid a smartphone, and naturally you only have room in the pocket for one device. Sony capitulated as a result, and Nintendo went with a gaming tablet instead in order to avoid directly competing for that pocket space. The death of the Vita and eventually the 3DS, was the end of the original pocket console.

They made the vita for weeb pedos instead of normie chads

But that was 10 years ago. Surely after the success of Switch they would have at least considered to reboot PSP.

Remember, the Vita still had games being made for it, long after the 3DS became dead.

I've never seen a single switch outside. If they were going against cellphones then they did a terrible job

>but surely there must be big enough market for thosr who want to play games other than Pokemon, Mario and Zelda
Yeah, that's why they're playing on Nintendo systems.

Unironically Apple ruined everything.

No, not really. Not unless you count generic shovelware titles that were also going to the 3ds anyway.

The idea that mobiles had anything to do with it is laughable. In reality Sony just doesn't have the kind of library to accommodate a handheld.

Switch is not a great system for people who want more """""serious""""" games and better graphics. I would pay x2 times the switch for a decent handheld system. And no, Steam Deck isn't one, at least the first version.

The Switch isn't a truly portable console, at least not in the way the Vita or the 3DS was. The reason they emphasized its hybrid nature so much in marketing materials was to distance it from smartphones as much as possible.

this

cuz it flopped so hard. They wasted over $300 billion on it, so they don't want to make another expensive mistake.

The PS4 was plenty a success and the PS5 will likely be so despite the COVID shock. There is no incentive for Sony to try and split their platform again.

Sony won't make something unless there is an element of it where they can make 500% profit or more, even if the device is a net loss. Sony is a retarded company and this is evidenced by the only remotely relevant thing they've done in the past 15+ years being NOT adding DRM when Microsoft did. Microsoft is not much better and Nintendo is worse.

You aren't genuinely trying to say that vita a good system for that are you?

>I would pay x2 times the switch for a decent handheld system
So get a switch. Its everything you want out of a system.

I take a several week long break from this garbage board and I still see these stupid fucking "duuuhhh why vita fail?" threads. I forget people are either too young or never played video games in a certain point of time. Do you guys not get bored of these kinds of fucking garbage threads?

>and better graphics
Not really feasible due to battery constraints. Steam Deck is probably the most poweful handheld out there and the battery life is atrocious.

If you exclude the memory card scam, the Vita was a great system.

No. All I'm saying is that I would pay for a good handheld system. I would love to play something like GTA5 on high/60FPS.
Maybe we are not there yet though.

>If you exclude the memory card scam, the Vita was a great system.
Good god no. The memory card was the least of the the problems that system had.

>Maybe we are not there yet though.
We are. GTA just isn't a serious game.

>Why did Sony completely abandon handled market?
Because PS4 was failing in Japan and Sony wanted devs who worked on Vita games to move to PS4.
>surely there must be big enough market for thosr who want to play games other than Pokemon, Mario and Zelda that are not pixelated 30 FPS, 720p garbage?
And who, pray tell, would be making those games? Sony didn't want to.

They though people would really buy a Vita only version of movies instead of a DVD. Dumb fucks.

>I would love to play something like GTA5 on high/60FPS.
By the time handhelds can accomplish that effectively, you'll be asking for an even higher standard. You don't seem to understand what handhelds are about. There will always be compromises for the sake of battery life and price.

I got a switch lite. Super portable. What are you even talking about?

Compared to Mario and Pokemon it is the pinnacle of Serious TM gaming.

The Vita's only problems were the memory cards, the expensive OLED screen (fixed with the revision) and misleading marketing. Everything else was great.

Mobile is most likely the culprit because they stopped making the Vita in 2015, the same year they released Fate/Grand Order. They realized that a single mobile app can be more lucrative than an entire handheld ecosystem.

user wasn't talking about serious games, he was talking about """serious""" games. Ironically, that was the Vita's main selling point in the west and also it's greatest weakness.

Every now and then there are real anons (not bots) to talk to. It appears you have no desire to discuss any aspects of this subject though so you may now leave for more weeks. You have my permission.

2-3 hour battery life would be ok (if you can replace battery). I believe Steam Deck barely gets 2 hours.

user, I remember stores gutting their PSP sections no later than 2007, and I never even saw a prominent Vita section. It was always just a handful of games tucked down somewhere under the PS3/4 stuff. One of these days I need to see what the status of Vita emulation is, I never got to play one so I missed out on some things I'd have liked to try.

>and also it's greatest weakness
Explain.

I recall they had huge emphasis on PS Vita being able to deliver PS3 levels of graphics for their mobile Unchartered game.

>Steam Deck barely gets 2 hours.
Yeah, locked at 60fps, high watts, etc.

With that massive update (SteamOS 3.2 beta), With 40 hz mode, I get over 4-6 hours easily.

Not even close.
For starters the face buttons and sticks are way too small for the average person and the buttons aren't rounded off like your average face buttons which makes it awkward to slide across them.
The pill shaped design offers no grip at all so you have to do it yourself by gripping it between the forefinger and the base of the thumb making it cramp city.
Moving to storage, absolutely no built in storage whatsoever until the slim.
And as a minor nitpick the glossy design is a fingerprint magnet.

And that's just a few of the things that come to mind when looking at my vita.

Are you this retarded on purpose? To fish (You)s?

>Even Vita was alright.
The Vita was an absolute commercial flop.

>I get over 4-6 hours easily.
If you're playing something that can run on a potato.

>I believe Steam Deck barely gets 2 hours.
Varies from game to game. Basic shit like GBA emulation will net you upwards to 7 hours of battery.

He's not wrong, Sony's titles don't translate well to portables.

That’s a point I didn’t realize earlier, and it would explain in part Sony’s move to California. Japanese gamers flocked to gachashit and were no longer a viable market. Also explains why AAA-budget JRPGs faded for a good while

What you call "bots" are actual people regurgitating shit they read/watched a video from other people without critically thinking or experiencing first hand for themselves. That's why I vent my frustrations in these kinds of threads, or I guess Yea Forums in general.

Thank you for your permission. My soul may rest now, have fun with the "why did vita fail" thread #39273.

Attached: 1649719389287.gif (350x263, 1.48M)

That's not a valid excuse, both Resistance and Killzone had great portable games. Where there is a will, there is a way.

AAA games are very expensive to make and developers won't release them on platforms with a small install base. Sony's marketing was putting an overemphasis on these kind of titles while simultaneously releasing very few of them. Once the normies caught wind of this, it became a vicious cycle. There aren't AAA games on the Vita because of it's low sales, but the reason the sales are low is because there aren't any AAA games.
Keep in mind that in Japan, where a completely different marketing strategy was used, the Vita was a success.

Attached: comfy.png (931x676, 31.7K)

>both Resistance and Killzone had great portable games.
They really didn't.

PSP hardware was a massive success, PSP software was not. That was mostly due to it's widespread piracy problem.
Vita came out and had to get locked down with proprietary ports, software and memory cards for any developer to even give it a chance.. It bombed in every country it released in during its first month including Japan, and multiple publishers wrote it off then and there as their token ports for its launch didn't sell. It then had a nobody wants to make a Vita game because there is no install base, and it has no install base because it has no games positive feedback loop problem for the rest of its life.

>That was mostly due to it's widespread piracy problem
It wouldn't have been a problem if the disc drive didn't drain the battery in like an hour. Hacking the PSP was pretty much required in order to use it as a portable.

You now remember the PS Phone

That shitty Xperia?

You have shit taste.

It's a great thing they stopped actually I wouldn't want censored weebshit

realistically how long will it take for us to be able to play or achieve PS4 graphics on phones?

Switch is successful because Nintendo integrated their home console and handheld dev teams into one group that targets one platform, and they also swooped in and stole all those publishers that used to make portable multiplats for Vita and got them making Switch versions instead. All those games that used to be token Sony exclusives now have a Nintendo version because Nintendo filled the portable vacuum for them.
If Sony came back in now they'd not only have to deal with games being even more expensive to make when they were already too expensive on Vita for them to turn a profit, but they'd also have to win back every publisher that got burnt on handheld Sony platforms not once but twice, and win back every single one of those smaller publishers that jumped ship to Switch when the writing was on the wall that Vita was dead and there'd be no future Sony handheld.

I don't think we've reached PS3 yet so maybe 5 years

Give it another 10-15 years or so.

People are trying to fill a gap that was made when Gen 9 became the first without a pocket console. Besides holding on to Gen 8 ones, you either have the cheap chinkshit ones that struggle with anything past PS1 emulation, or ones that are expensive enough that you might as well get a smartphone or laptop with that cash. There is a lack of midrange devices that would serve as a comfy general gaming platform.

Genshin could be played in a ps3?

Yes.

sure is good looking, but genshin is nothing special graphically speaking

You know he's going to say "why isn't it on switch then"

Sony never saw Vita as anything more than a PS4 peripheral device.

Idk man it has some big ass world

A big world doesn't mean it can't run.

Because nintendo is unironically afraid of genshin, so they will never give the green light for it.

sony thinks handhelds are dead because phones because their leadership's collective iq barely reaches room temperature

nintendo thinks a tablet longer than your mom's dildo qualifies as a "handheld," an idea that's somehow even stupider than what sony thinks

microsoft has never been in the handheld market to begin with

but it doesn't have it fully loaded all the time. No properly optimized game puts all of its rendered world in memory

>so they will never give the green light for it.
They greenlit it ages ago user.

Why? I'm living under a rock. Isn't it out on switch?

It was supposed to come to switch.

Apparently, nintendo is stonewalling miyoho at every opportunity.

There's no source for that.

They were kind of right though. They shouldn't have abandoned the vita but phones took over the mobile space. The only one able to survive was nintendo but they have been king of handhelds since day one

it doesn't have loading times though, but maybe you're right, idk, but I really think phones are more powerful than ps3s, at least the high-end ones, even some mid-ends.

>but I really think phones are more powerful than ps3s
Even high end phones are just barely on par with the ps2.