Facts/Inconvenient truths

Dark Souls III is by far the easiest game in the entire saga. As the franchise became popular, the games became incredibly simpler and easier. Elden Ring included.

Attached: images (3).jpg (554x554, 48K)

I'm not sure why you'd think that. Enemies have generally gotten faster and more aggressive as the series has gone on, that seems like a pretty incontrovertible truth.
You've likely gotten better, as you've played them and acclimatized to the 'usual bullshit', but the games themselves aren't any easier because of that. That goes both ways too. I only died maybe only 5 or 6 times while playing Demon's Souls, and it was because I'd played through Dark Souls 1 and 2 beforehand.

Nobody cares; the difficulty is a meme

Fromsoft games have been getting more and more streamlined, yes. Even in an open world game like Elden Ring getting lost while exploring is less consequential than it was back in Dark Souls 1. They only care about making the enemies more difficult, everything else is an afterthought.

Your statement would have meant ER was the easiest.
You set conditions for a statement. They got easier as time went on in the saga. Including ER.
Why cant Yea Forums read?

Perhaps you are right and correct. But there are things I can't help but feel while playing.
The character's mobility and invisibility frames end up making the very thing you mention not matter at all, since dodging it is incredibly easy.
The weapons are incredibly similar to each other stat-wise, as well as incredibly easy to get. Armor has so little variety that literally medium armor is the best and almost only category. The bosses end up looking like a joke, except for the DLC.
Also the map ends up feeling like a straight line.

>Perhaps you are right and correct. But there are things I can't help but feel while playing.
Redundancy; why would your feelings matter? The rest of your post is just agreeing with OP.

>They literally became known for difficulty.

>Gimmie some hot sauce! Extra spicey!

I don't count Elden Ring as part of the SoulsBorne Saga. It is completely independent in my opinion. But if we talk about the developer From Software in general, you're right. Elden Ring is the easiest game in the saga.

>Dark Souls III is by far the easiest game in the entire saga. As the franchise became popular, the games became incredibly simpler and easier. Elden Ring included.
>Elden Ring included.
If youre not OP youre retarded for replying to me. If you're OP you're retarded for forgetting your own post.
Either way stop posting.

You wanna know my Soulsbornering hot take? You wanna swallow my thick, salty opinion load?

Alright, here you go: Elden Ring was literally many, many times easier than Dark Souls 1. In fact, it will take the average human being less time to 100%, all-achievement Elden Ring, than it will to play through DS1 for the first time.

They are two completely different proposals, in one sentence I speak of the Souls Saga. While in the other I mention the simplification of the games that the developer has made as such. One thing does not imply the other.

depends on whether or not you abuse all the busted retardation the game gives you

Your hot take gets obliterated when you remember no one idled in dark souls 1 bc you could get invaded
Id leave ER on and go cook and eat an entire meal whats the consequence

This is directly correlated to the decline in quality of the soulsborne games so...

Nah, I had way more trouble with Nameless King than Biggie and Smalls.

>now watch as I swap the definitions of my words

DS3 is easy levels, hard bosses. kinda the opposite of DeS.
DS3 enemies are piss easy once you learn the trick of how helpless the majority of them are against R1 spam since they have no poise, only hyper armor, which they do have a lot of but as long as you attack first and attack often you won't face much resistance.

The improvement to the summoning system in Elden Ring sounds good on paper, as an idea, but the execution ended up being lousy and completely killing the difficulty that the game could offer.

>depends on whether or not you abuse all the busted retardation the game gives you
It does not.

>Id leave ER on and go cook and eat an entire meal whats the consequence
I did that too, but I played Prepare to Die edition, so I never got invaded. But also I think I got invaded once, maybe twice in Elden Ring, and only ever while I was summoning people for random side shit.

Yes, I think so too

You autistic pissbaby you posted three sentences that proposes
1. You thought 3 was easiest
2. The saga is easier over time
3. Elden ring included
Go perform actual mental gymnastics youll have to to spin your own argument that ER isnt the easiest
Fucking esl

Sorry secondary i played ptde before 2 was even announced
You can maybe use dscm to play online

>Dark Souls III is by far the easiest game in the entire saga
That's objectively wrong. It's either DS1 or Elden Ring.

The weird thing is, Dark Souls (the actual game itself) never mentions anything about challenge at all. It's just a game that sidestepped the normal AAA practice of having enemy AIs "slot" into available spaces to attack the player, thus limiting the amount of potential incoming threat a player can face. That's basically all Dark Souls did, it just let enemies hit you whenever it was possible, and that itself was a shock to the gaming system enough.

The fact that Capcom decided to lean into the "Prepare to die!" bullshit and market everything based on the challenge that testers and early players experienced, created a toxic feedback loop.

It's easiest and I had most fun fighting bosses in ds3 what does that mean? and bosses were still challenging, but felt like we are on equal ground.

What did capcom have to do with it?

>Sorry secondary i played ptde before 2 was even announced
I owned PTDE since it came out, I just didn't play it until after Remastered. Not really my fault.

But honestly, online PvP is fake nonsense in Fromsoft games and only exists to allow cheaters and retards to feel superior because they can min-max hardest. It's a waste of time and should be removed completely. And everyone who has ever willingly engaged in it should be shot publicly.

If there's one thing I'll always be thankful for in Dark Souls 1, it's the brilliant map design.

Sorry, NAMCO, I don't know why I thought Capcom for some reason.

Larp. There were fun builds until sotfs released.

I think the worst of it came after Dark Souls 3. The marketing changed the series from an RPG with action elements to the other way around but it was still fun. Due to Dark Souls 3's success, the prepare to die bullshit ballooned to new heights and by Elden Ring, it feels as though all the enemies are designed to trick you and catch you off guard, rather than to provide an earnest challenge. It's not a nice feeling, knowing that the game wants you to lose, rather than for you to struggle but overcome

Honestly i know so little about publishers and developers I wouldnt have been surprised if it was capcom

>Facts/Inconvenient truths
>Dark Souls
This is the only fact/inconvenient truth about that series.

Attached: 1638236398205.png (1018x654, 83.31K)

Dark Souls 1 is a fantastic game even despite its' flaws. Everyone knows where it stumbles due to development issues, but it also literally set a standard in design and game experience that the entire industry pivoted to recreate because it gave players something most people haven't felt in forever, which is a game actually surprising them with moments of discovery. It's not even a big thing, but there's just something so genuinely enjoyable about figuring out a shortcut or unlocking a hidden path or finding a thing on your own, with no directions and no glowing markers and no UI telling you what to do.

That's literally it, it's such a basic, pure video game thing that the industry had lost for so long that just having that back made people lose their shit.

>I think the worst of it came after Dark Souls 3.
DS2 was made by people who didn't understand Dark Souls, and only knew "lol u dieded" and that ambushes and bullshit tracking and hitboxes were how you make a game "challenging". It's why no one likes DS2.

Elden Ring isn't that much better. It's not bad, but it has a lot of DS2's design in it, but also like DS2 it basically flubs any sort of actual challenge and 90% of the game is so easy that you don't even remember you played it.

Why has no one recreated this since? Later FromSoft games have shortcuts that loop around individual areas giving somewhat of a sense of discovery, but never grand reveal moments like kicking down the ladder from the bridge or going back to firelink shrine from the undead parish elevator.
Is it just too hard to be worth the investment?

Play KF4
Whole game is this

Compare this to melenia or godrick
God i hate nu-fromsoft retarded bosses with infinite stamina

Attached: 1633905033053.webm (600x336, 2.94M)

>Why has no one recreated this since?
That is...not an easy question to answer. Elden Ring has moments, I think everyone will agree that Stormveil Castle is about as peak "Dark Souls" as you might get, with big looping paths, tons of side areas to explore, multiple ways to move through it, and huge swathes of it you literally may never even see if you don't go out of your way. The problem is, it's one level, and they couldn't keep that up for the whole game.

I legitimately could not tell you how much of the final experience of DS1 was the result of carefully taking input and feedback and ideas and testing and creating levels designed very specifically, or if it was just a case of randomly saying "Fuck it, put a shortcut here.". I don't know, I wasn't in the room when it was made. But whatever it is, it requires either a level of craftsmanship and dedication, or a level of extreme luck, or both of those things at once, that you can't just have on command.

I agree with this user. Game being hard or challenging is one thing, when it starts to fuck with you on a meta level it takes you out of the game.

Even if it's unknowable what went into designing it, it feels as though no one has even tried. Especially FromSoft themselves, until Elden Ring the games were becoming more and more like a straight line.

>until Elden Ring the games were becoming more and more like a straight line.
ER is a straight line in the sense that everyone's experience is exactly the same save for a few unique pick ups or what order the Four Lord Souls or DemiGods got encountered in if at all a la das2

In terms of progression, sure. Even DS1 didn't have entirely non linear progression, it's
>ring two bells in either order, get the lord vessel, kill four bosses in either order, kill gwyn the end.
This is ignoring shit like killing Sif early but most people wouldn't discover that the first time.
I mean in terms of map traversal. Elden Ring still doesn't reach DS1 in this way either, as the game is mostly a plane where you can go from any A point to any B point with ease, with there only being a few chokepoints to go between areas or elevations

>it feels as though no one has even tried
It requires the developers to care about what they're doing, and unfortunately that's just not a thing that happens in large projects. The bigger the scale and the more money involved, the less attention any given aspect can get during development. And the bigger the game level, the more work needed to make it feel intuitive and exciting to explore and path through. And the more work you put in up front, the less time you have to work on things later in development, meaning things inevitably get more and more cut down to hit deadlines.

I dont think a single reviewer has made your point without waffling for over five hours nice post user

it's because they're running a fairly barebones combat system for like 13 years straight. they have to make the enemies bullshit or their fans would just cruise through the games no problem. it's why sekiro managed to be both fair and difficult, because they changed it up. if they make sekiro 3 and nippon ring and we're still fighting like sekiro 1, those games will bullshit you too.

based, fuck soulstard lore whores

Attached: loresouls.png (1123x200, 26.02K)

>poise works
>armor works
>you can punish the enemy during their powerup, they don't do AOE damage/status effect buildup/shoot spells during it
What went so wrong?

If they didn't fall for the prepare to die meme, they wouldn't feel the need to one up their difficulty every installment.
You're right about Sekiro however, so the only solution I can think of to keep the series difficult but fair is to create a new combat system for every new IP.

Attached: Dark Souls III.jpg (3577x2686, 3.68M)

kino field 4 has the best level design of any game.
Shame soulstards have fallout 3 syndrome

Attached: kf4.jpg (513x800, 449.19K)

user i love 4 its a terrible starting point for someone alien to the series
Dont bring betheshit ITT

And that's why it's the best game of the series. Souls games don't need to be hard.

powercreep in a series marketed towards making you die

wait whats a good starting point? Its gotta be this or KF1 right?
Todd Howard is literally Miyazaki lol

what baffles me every time a new souls game is released is that you retarded mongrels manage to have thousands of threads calling one a masterpiece and putting the other ones on a scale for grading feces. They're the same fucking game. Literally they're the same game. Even the story is mostly the fucking same. The only thing you're grading is your level of nostalgia I guarantee you. There needs to be a study of what was your first souls game and which one is your favorite, there'd be a 95% match

Try playing the games before making this argument

>If they didn't fall for the prepare to die meme, they wouldn't feel the need to one up their difficulty every installment.
they do need to one up their difficulty, not even to make them more difficult, but to maintain the same level of relative difficulty throughout the series. if they kept the same level of absolute difficulty, it would be like playing a boss over and over. in the end, you can sleep your way through the boss, and that's not what the intended experience is (to struggle with the boss so you feel relief and exhileration when you finally beat it). Dark souls was never meant to be some kind of i wanna be the guy experience, but it was meant to be fairly difficult and challenge the player.

elden ring is way easier than dark souls 3

I dont give a fuck whether ds3 is easy or not, the roll feels fucking amazing in ds3 and dogshit in elden ring

Miyazaki pulled your crutches from under your ass and you are now whining
Learn to play issue, hyperarmor is the best poise system

Attached: Dark Souls 3 Havel.webm (960x540, 2.87M)

You could try playing KF 1 with the english patch. You probably wont figure out how to save without coming online and asking since you didnt read the game manual.
You could play kings field 2. Bit unforgiving and similar to one but actually longer than a few hours.
You could play kings field 3 the closest to a modern rpg, the longest entry in the series, and has a sprint ability.
You could play kings field four and spoil yourself with ps2 graphics, some great dungeons that overlap back on themselves, and a world that calls das2 to mind.
You could play shadow tower and have a miserable time until you get some magic going and learn the mechanics.
You could start with shadow tower abyss like I did. It has guns and is very alien.
It also probably has lots to do with elden ring.

That's why having sequels in the genre is a bad idea, at least after a certain point. Because by Elden Ring, their attempt to one up themselves has left the game unfun due to reasons I explained in an earlier reply.
Even Miyazaki agreed when he made Dark Souls 3, as the entire game can be taken as a cynical outlook on the idea of sequels. But, in his enigmatic nature, he decided that gameplay mechanics don't count and made Elden Ring.

>Mark my words, Ashen One... you remain among the accursed...
Fucking kino

Attached: Lothric and Lorian.jpg (1249x1080, 432.81K)

>Literally
Oops sorry this user is a retarded zoomer do not reply

>Even Miyazaki agreed when he made Dark Souls 3, as the entire game can be taken as a cynical outlook on the idea of sequels.
Or you are a fucking retard and Miyazaki literally said Dark Souls 3 is his vision on aesthetic changes on the first DS with more creative freedom on his side

Godrick is way slower than Artorias with his super delated attacks.
Try actually playing these games.

>attack goes through pillar
>le anime powerup i am now unmovable regardless of my equipment
These games have gotten so bad, my lord.

Lmao Artorias is such a basic boss in terms of move set he's barely on par with a Cleanrot Knight in ER.

I can forgive elden ring partially, because at least they're doing a huge departure from dark souls with the open world shit, but this really was the last drop they could squeeze out of that stone.

I've also heard that he only took the role as lead director for DS3 because Namco said they would make it with or without him.

They squeezed the last drop after Liurnia unfortunately. The rest of the game is shit from a gameplay perspective.

he's literally wearing havel lol, dark souls 1 would be the same except he doesn't need do use that skill

It's cumulative of armor, weapon and skill
You can even have high poise with just weapon and armor
DS3 filtered all the DS1 secondaries poisebabbies who never played Demon's Souls

Attached: DS3 poise.webm (852x480, 1.94M)

>DS2 was made by people who didn't understand Dark Souls

Completely untrue.
DS2 is way more tough but fair than DS1, a game that frequently did bullshit GOTCHA trial and error deaths:
-Capra Demon + dogs in a phonebooth arena
-25 hollow ambush in the church, also a channeler buffs them to almost one shot you
-forced death to Seath
-surprise fall too Stray Demon taking 50% of your HP then getting one shot by a near instant attack
-everything bed of chaos

Nothing in DS2 even comes close to this bullshit.

>dark souls 1 would be the same except he doesn't need do use that skill
So they brought back mechanics just to have them not work anymore. Got it, great sequels.

Lothric and Lorian were the best guilty trip boss of the DS series. I love how Lothric outright says that even if Ashen One actually links the Fire he will later be sacrificed again as Lord of Cinder in the endless cycle

Attached: Lothric and Lorian art.jpg (1200x1200, 169.27K)

now that I think on it, I don't think I like any of these games at all, thanks Yea Forums