What went so right?

What went so right?

Attached: 6gencons.jpg (2304x855, 767.48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ciICccsx3l0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's just the point where computing power got to the level that almost every kind of game was feasible.
Everything since has just been making those games fancier, also very rarely somehting that wouldnt have been possible, like minecraft.

fun games that didn’t alienate actual gamers to appeal to casuals

>the console that killed Sega
>the console that almost killed Nintendo
>the console that ruined PC games because of shitty nerfed crossports
>the console full of infinite gay JRPGs
Almost nothing went right with that generation

FTFY

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.32.38 PM.png (1288x598, 1.33M)

>>the console that killed Sega
and nothing of value was lost.

Attached: c.png (1439x1228, 1.37M)

The likes of this gen will never be seen again.

Even pc was great at that time. Everything becoming multiplat in the following gens was a mistake. Fuck poorfags.

good balance between good production values but still relatively small teams with specialized veterans who knew their shit and a market that was still somewhat niche and wasn't as casual.

Most of the garbage trends in AAA started on that gen though. Like GTA and its clones, brown fps, etc.

all the platforms where unique and different.
rather than
>Xbox over PC
or
>PC over PS
it was
>"i have a PC and a dreamcast"
and the response was
>"oh cool,i have a PS2 and gamecube"

Video games starting really getting shit around ps3/360/wii. The wii getting casuals interested in their shitty gimmicky controls really fucked us.

Everything, except Nintendo. God, what a pile of shit.

The Gamecube is the most overrated console of all-time

>The DreamCast was absolute shi-

Attached: Dreamcast games.jpg (1735x4115, 2.29M)

You are a stupid nigger. Every nintendo console since has had some retarded gimmick.

Meds now, Eric.

I disagree with him (the Gamecube was awesome) but your response is a bit uncalled for.

>Re-volt is on gog right now and on sale

Attached: 1650364221062.png (716x695, 38.02K)

Pretty much every random idea was funded, and it sometimes worked.

But is he wrong? The GameCube's failure made Nintendo stop catering to a more mature niche audience and going for the widest net possible. The most GameCube-esque console they made since was the WiiU which was also an unmitigated flop.

Well fuck you too, faggot

Doesn't make the Gamecube any less shit with its atrocious library and retarded controller.

That would be the wii

People were whining about the Gamecube being "kiddy" when it came out, saying games like Wind Waker, Pikmin, and Super Mario Sunshine were a sign of Nintendo appealing more to kids. Of course this is absolutely idiotic, because Mario was ALWAYS for kids, and if you REALLY want to mark a point where they were intending it for younger kids, that would be when they made Charles Martinet his voice in the mid-90s because his voice wasn't as "scary".

Back in the time where PC was getting exclusives that weren't indies and there was a real reason to be an idort. Now you have a PC and Playstation and you have fucking everything because Nintendo gets their shit emulated like 2 years into the consoles life cycle. Even the Playstation is getting superfluous at this point, most of their new exclusives are seemingly going to get PC releases so as soon as PS4 emulators become a thing then it's own a PC and you're good to go.

You hit what I was going to say on the head. Nintendo has always been kid and family focused in their game development and marketing, actively word for word wanting to become the Disney of gaming.

And they have managed to succeed even past the 90s and 00s which were filled with the era of "maturity" and edginess and grittiness.

God what the fuck was wrong with us back then?

>that time during the early 2000s at game shows charles martinet swore as mario and made fun of sony
such a surreal and weird time era that will never happen again

Martinet was Vigoro in Skies of Arcadia, who actively tries to rape one of the main heroines.

The GameCube had rated M games like Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Geist, killer7, and probably others I'm missing.

>tfw you couldn't get a gamecube because Aiden from grade 5 called it the gaycube

Attached: 1422374631680.png (368x368, 139.66K)

Just ordered a 200€ xbox classic 2tb hdd filled to the brim with games I can't be arsed to mod it myself

Attached: Farah-SoT.jpg (523x768, 154.11K)

Attached: 1621860497913.gif (220x146, 56.05K)

Internet was not so easily monetized, and since less people had it, developers could not push patches easily. They had to actually finish their games.

Smaller production teams
Market was still Japanese dominated (who have stronger creative visions and leas design-by-comittee bullshit)
Limited online meant no cancerous practices like DLC/Microtransactions/Service game philosophies

I think the 6th gen of video game consoles was the golden age. We were rolling off of the success of the 5th gen and things would not just get better. Game companies still took risks but the quality control over all was "better". Now, it's wildly uneven. Most games can't even function with out a day one patch. It's a sad state of affairs. I feel so fucking old

Attached: 1646359722644.jpg (1200x800, 190.28K)

I remember a legitimate argument going down at one point where someone was arguing xbox was better than ps2 because "Playstation is gaystation and xbox is sexbox"
Prove it wrong. Pro tip: You cant.

Gamedev wasn't exorbitantly expensive to the point of stifling creativity.

Did you get GunValkyrie?

Attached: Gunvalkyrie.webm (640x379, 2.96M)

The industry was coming off the heels of the 90s which was dominated by cutsey mascot platformers.

Mainstream Mature games brand new for the industry starting from the end of the 5th gen with games like MGS1. Those really came into form during the 6th gen with stuff like GTA and Halo becoming massive sellers. GameCube near zero one adult orientated games (no GTA and no first party games). They desperately tried to scramble by funding shit like Geist and Eternal Darkness, but too little too late.

Being purple unironically hurt too.

almost all the budget goes towards marketing
the expensive game dev meme needs to fuck off if it weren't for insane graphics whoring games would be easily made in a year and a half nowadays but instead we're stuck with waiting on indies to make games that are actually good and once in a blood moon a good AAA game

But the purple GC is one of the most soulful consoles in existence.

But the PS2 and Xbox were literally made for casuals. The GC and DC were the only genuinely "gamer" only systems with non of the DVD bullshit.

Why did development costs skyrocket during the 7th gen? HD assets doesn't explain all of it.

Don't lump in the Xbox with the DVDstation.

Attached: Dead or Alive 3.webm (720x405, 2.98M)

Corpos were starting to get involved in gaming, but they didn't know what would be "big" yet, so experimentation was allowed. It was also still the hobby of nerdy young men and was still "weird" to women and normalshits.

Cause you can't just copy paste rooms and assets and shit anymore, gotta have realistic environments which means exponentially more assets, and you can't just stay in one place anymore, what is this a sandbox, gotta go to like 5 different countries and a space station. Fuck you devs, try to reuse assets with that.

Marketing is a huge reason along with bloated dev teams. It's insane how big they have gotten. It's layers and layers of red tape at this point. It doesn't help no one takes risks anymore

Attached: 1624562558001.jpg (1152x768, 146.07K)

Define casuals. Every big 3 console ever has attempted to sell the most amount as possible.

The PS2 definitely sold a lot due to literal non-gamers/family's buying one for the DVD player.

They'd just buy a DVD players without the consoles.

Attached: CircuitCity2000Holidays.jpg (3000x2000, 836.8K)

I wish this meme of the PS2 only selling because of the DVD player would stop. Xbox had a DVD player and "better" looking games. It didn't stop the PS2's dominance. Did it help? Sure, but these types of numbers don't pop out of thin air, year after year when the price of DVD players MSRP dropped quickly.

Attached: 1566508075514.gif (650x366, 2.58M)

Jesus the Xbox was a monster

ps2 didn't require a remote to play dvds
xbox did

It's not a meme though. For over a year the PS2 was the cheapest DVD player you could buy.

You needed an accessory to play dvds on xbox.
My mom only bought us a ps2 because we argued it was cheaper than buying a dvd player separate

It wasn't even the cheapest DVD player at launch.

>meme
PS2 is the single biggest reason why vidya died after the 6th gen.

>CircuitCity

Attached: Pepeclock.jpg (550x366, 60.22K)

feminists had yet to gain a foothold on vidya

The good times you experienced with that generation of consoles were primarily due to not having job/responsibilities while your parents protected you from all the darkness of the world.
What you experienced then is what zoomers are experience now with fortnite.

Attached: 1537901305945.jpg (1010x897, 68.17K)

It actually required a DRM plug in that came with the remote, and I believe that was dropped and you could also find ways around it. It's a lame excuse
It is. While I am sure it was a nice bonus, the same can be said for playing original PlayStation games and CD's. It was the full package, the entertainment center for the whole home. It was a media center, that had extremely compelling games no one else had. I don't think 150 million systems were sold, JUST because of the DVD player. That is silly
If anyone is to blame for that, it's the Xbox with Xbox live and DLC

Attached: 1628401879679.jpg (1152x768, 245.85K)

You're a woman.

Healthy competition. Really. Each platform had noteworthy exclusives that made them worth owning. Price range was slightly apart, but not as bad as today. Also, globohomo agenda hadn't become a thing. It was just about good games. I'm jealous of the younger generation. They won't ever have to know how good things used to be.
Zooms, do not let the booms get you down. Embrace your slave collars, it is all that is left for you now.

Meds

ok fair enough but paying a bit extra and getting the newest console as well was a pretty attractive option

Yeah, fuck the Mediterraneans too.

Not much did for me honestly. The only one I really wanted at all was the Dreamcast. Ended up with the PS2 since we could use it for movies and music as well as some games, and a GameCube because "it's Nintendo". In hindsight I probably would have liked the Xbox, but the asking price was too steep and paying however much a year for online wasn't going to cut it. Gen 6, honestly, was one of my least favorite gens. It's only above gen 8 and gen 9 for me since no gen can be worse than these.

>I don't think 150 million systems were sold, JUST because of the DVD player.
I don't think anyone believes that, but it definitely helped its sales at the most important time to build up the install base. Also CDs had been around for over a decade before the release of the PS1. Definitely not a similar situation.

It sure was.

Zoomers hate Fortnite, though.

This was the last ever era where you could make a really good life changing game in about a year, which meant you were getting new ideas and riskier games all the time

Older zoomers do, but younger zoomers love it more than they love three meals a day. It's the current "thing" for high schoolers.

That was probably the last generation where games were mostly by nerds, for nerds. As much as I love the PS2, that thing really opened the floodgates and showed that Video Games are a huge medium and corporate interests took notice of that. The Success of WoW during that period too further cemented gaming as a main stay(Steve Bannon actually owned IGE during that period, the largest gold selling business) so as a result there was an influx of propaganda like military shooters in the gaming scene and that evolved into the propaganda we see being pushed by companies today. It also explains why gaming got so Hollywood, because they've been pushing movie games since the PS3 era.

let me create the perfect system from these 4
>PS2 library
>XBOX hardware
>GC marketing
>DC innovate accessories

Attached: 1627570899028.png (374x301, 280.02K)

It just sounds like people only bring up the DVD player as the reason why Sony won (in fact obliterated the competition) during the 6th gen. It's very annoying. It helped, but it wasn't the reason by any stretch of the imagination. As the other user pointed out, DVD players were cheap by that point and the original Xbox had one (20 dollar remote and license DRM be damned. It was removed anyway from what I remember)

Attached: 1578240377627.jpg (640x853, 104.08K)

Zoomers grew up on the Gamecube though.

GameCube sold 20 million units. The only 6th gen console that zoomers would be familiar with is the PS2.

I wouldn't consider $200 in a sale cheap. Most people still wouldn't buy a standalone DVD player at that price. And the Xbox came out over a year after the PS2.

Gamecube marketing was shit though. Sony was on top of their marketing game during this era.

Zoomers had older siblings who had Gamecubes, and they played it as a hand-me-down. Kind of like how millennials played their Gen X sibling's NES.

Check the ad user posted, it's 150. What's your point? It's unfair? I don't get it

My point is if the DVD player was such a non-factor then a console with a much better library at the time (i.e. the Dreamcast) would have sold much better.

>A FUCKING PURPLE LUNCH BOX

youtube.com/watch?v=ciICccsx3l0

Sorry, DVD players were a 100 dollars according to that ad
>My point is if the DVD player was such a non-factor then a console with a much better library at the time (i.e. the Dreamcast) would have sold much better.
Now I understand. If you think the reason the Dreamcast lost was because of a DVD player, NOT because consumer confidence was lost? Sega CD, 32X and the Sega Saturn completely caused Sega to fuck up. That's not even counting the civil war between Sega of Japan and Sega of America.

every console hyper focused on a group
the cube = popular kid that has friends come over
ps2 = standard gamer
xbox = hardcore dudes, normally into this new thing called "internet"
dreamcast = for autists, but the fun kind.

Attached: fist man.png (510x850, 555.63K)