Let's settle this Yea Forums, is it 8th or 9th gen?

let's settle this Yea Forums, is it 8th or 9th gen?

Attached: switch-1644862595943.jpg (1280x720, 88.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wepc.com/gaming/next-gen-exclusives/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_generation_of_video_game_consoles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

8th

9th. It started 9th gen. 3DS and Wii U were the same gen as PS4, Vita, and Xbone.

>Released during 8th gen with 7th gen performance
Calling it 9th gen is shitposting at best. Switch 2 will be 9th gen, but with worse hardware than the Steam Deck if Nintendo wants to "nevah take rossu on hahduwaru again" lmao

>2017 was 9th gen
The PS5 and Series X did not exist. You are a fucking retard.

Tech wise anywhere between 5 and 6

It STARTED 9th gen retard. The 360 launched in 2005 where Wii and PS3 were not around. So they don't exist? They're not the same gen? Wii U also started 8th gen, so PS4 and Xbone are 9th gen? Then Switch is 10th gen and PS5/SeriesX are 11th? Stop being a fucking zoomer retard.

7th gen because it barely looks/runs better than PS3

>lol, lmao even at the trannies seething at the Switch

has much better games tho

It's like 8.5, like the wii was 6.5

its an inbetween because nintendo cant be normal for 5 fucking seconds

Tech wise, it's better than the PS3 and 360. It's 7th techwise. Then again, comparing a portable to a console is silly. There weren't portables as strong as the Switch during that period.

This. DS started 7th gen in 2004 though

Just make a strawpoll

Normal is bad though.

8th. The Switch 2 will for a long time be considered 8th gen too until the next Sony/MS systems, at which stage Switch 2 will be 9th.

The Wii U and the Switch are both 8th gen. The Switch was literally a rebooted Wii U that was put on the market as soon as possible to try and make up for the Wii U's failure. The PS3 and Wii were also 7th gen whereas the Switch isn't 9th gen because the PS3 and Wii have 7th gen games, but the Switch lacks a single 9th gen game. It does not have the capacity to play them.

It's technically 9th gen, but I personally think of it as an 8.5th gen console.

What's a ninth gen game?

It's 8th gen. The reason it got released in 2017 is because they wanted to be done with the Wii U asap.

Explain the GBA and DS then? The gap between those systems was even shorter then the Wii U and Switch yet both are 6th and 7th gen respectively

wepc.com/gaming/next-gen-exclusives/

Any of these. Any game that requires at least an RDNA 2 console to run them. You will never see Bioshock 4, Redfall, Dead Space Remake, etc. running on the Switch because there is a 2 gen wide power gap between the consoles. From a technicality, the Switch was released in 8th gen to try and make up for the lack of presence Nintendo had in 8th gen, and in terms of power it's like putting a 100 pound guy in a wrestling match and calling them a "wrestler." It's laughable.

GC was a bomb and they wanted to leverage their handheld dominance to save themselves financially.

nothing more than a game that supports ps5 haptic feedback

None of these games exist yet. Many of them are probably getting last gen versions because the PS5 and Series X is scalped to hell and back

9th. Pretending it's not 9th ignores the fact that 5th gen started with FM Towns Marty in 1993 and 6th gen started with Dreamcast in 1998, 7th with Xbox 360 in 2005 and 8th with Wii u. You are literally retarded if you haven't realized this

Can you show me Doom or Doom Eternal on ps3/360?

Lmao absolute retard. What about your faggety game Bugsnax? Isnt that coming to Switch? A PS5 (9th gen) exclusive?

>She thinks raw power makes a gen
Then by that logic the PS2 was the same gen as PS1 since it could not match Xbox and GameCube horsepower.

I dont own shitty outdated consoles because I can play all the games with backwards compatibility

Attached: Untitled 80.jpg (1410x1000, 1.14M)

It spent it's first 4 years against eighth generation consoles. It makes no sense for it to be a 9th gen

But it's 9th Gen. Wikipedia is the gospel.

It's the same generation as the Wii U

Nice emulation. Meanwhile I have a PC playing these games natively.

It's bizarre but to me the reasoning could be the power gap between the two handhelds combined with the fact that the Gameboy console family was already well established before the 90s and the DS was a brand new console line. Handhelds have always been weird with how they handle gens. For example, it's still weird to me how the Vita is 8th gen, but considering that it was competing with the 3DS which came out during 7th gen it very much feels like a 7th gen handheld.

Does it need to be categorized in a console generation? Considering nintendo doesn't even try to compete with other consoles?

Yes.

Generations are determined by technical aptitude they're determined by time

Of course they compete.

It's a 9th gen console. The problem is also that it's a hybrid so it's also a 9th gen handheld. Then you have the Lite which is exclusively a handheld.

>Playing saints row 1 natively
>Playing red dead 1 natively
Do you have a time machine? Because last I heard volition threw away the source code and rockstar refuses to touch red dead 1

Who said it was 9th?
Its clearly 8th. Wii U is also 8th. You can have two systems, especially when one is a failure

>Brings up Sony out of NOWHERE
Holy shit, take your meds. That's a multiplat game though. It can also run on the Xbox One. Sony had an exclusivity deal with them to keep it on PS5 but it's obvious from the game's visuals and gameplay that it doesn't require RDNA 2 graphics or an ssd.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninth_generation_of_video_game_consoles
It isn't even listed among the Series X and PS5. Holy cope.

Attached: 1627601011700.jpg (1164x715, 140.68K)

They aren't releasing new consoles at the same time as others.
Meanwhile ps and xbox always release together.

>Playing Sonic unleashed natively
>Playing the definitive version of bully natively

Its unanimously agreed that 9th started in 2020

Wii U was a failure and ended early. Switch was their console to re-enter the generation. It definitely didn't start a new gen and next-gen games were not on Switch.

Nintendo copium needs their 720p tablet to be considered more advanced than the real next gen consoles.

>He still thinks its hard to get 9th gen consoles
Lol. You can easily buy a Series X now, and the Series S has been easy to get since launch. Go to any retail store and they literally just sit on shelves. Nobody wanted them at my local Walmarts during black fucking friday.

The Wii U was officially non-competitive by 2015. It was dead by then but kept on life support. The 3DS carried the torch until 2017 or 2018 when the Switch totally took over, but the Switch by itself did not start the next-generation of gaming. All it got were Wii U games and 8th gen games.

I walked into a Walmart a few weeks ago and walked out with a series s. I fucked up and told the qt gril at the counter I was interested in the Xbox season s and immediately realized I fucked up

>Xbox season s
What the fuck is that?

what season passes do to a mf

>Name one 9th gen game
>Name a 9th gen game
>Uhh uhhh uhhh that DOESNT COUNT BECUSEEE
Fucking retard lmao it's like debating a child.

And it's not listed because the Wikipedia game admins are trannies. Look at their actual discussion and their excuses for not labeling it 9th gen in the edit comments section. It's pathetic.

Nah, it started in 2017. Sony and Microsoft just took forever to catch up because of the chip shortage.

Nah, it started 9th gen like Wii U started 8th. Simple as.

I was stopping myself from saying the sexbox

9th
The wii u was their 8th gen system

I once went into burger king and asked for 20 McNuggies.

Nearly every gen has had one console start it before others join.
Fourth gen was started by the PC Engine in 1987, with Sega and Nintendo following after, 1988 and 1990 respectively.
Fifth gen was started by 3DO and Atari Jaguar in 1993, with the competition following them.
Sixth gen was the Dreamcast, Seventh gen was XBox 360.
Eighth was started by Wii U, and by how this trend has been going, it is safe to say that the Switch started the Ninth gen.

My mom does this

>>Name a 9th gen game
There's a difference between a true 9th gen game and a multiplatform game that is exclusive to a 9th gen console through a contract agreement. Try getting the Medium, a game which requires at least an AMD Radeon R9 390X to run it to run on last gen consoles. You can't, it struggles to even run on the Series S as is. You definitely won't run it on the Switch which requires cloud versions of late 8th gen games to even run them.
>>And it's not listed because the Wikipedia game admins are trannies.
>I-ITS NOT LISTED B-BECAUSE THE A-ADMINS ARE MEANIES!!!
Lmfao fucking cope retard.

The only 9th gen handheld.

>You can't, it struggles to even run on the Series S as is
that's because boober team can't optimize for shit

who cares

Attached: 1639782028904.png (676x396, 213.37K)

Sonyfags. If the switch is a gen 8 system it means they have a chance to win gen 9.
Even though that means forgoing their win in gen 8 making the whole ordeal moot.

So let me ask you anons this, when the Switch 2 comes out within the next 3 years to enable Nintendo to run multiplatform games that the Switch is incapable of running, will you consider that to be 10th gen? When Microsoft and Sony come out with their next consoles and Nintendo releases theirs around the same time, will that be 11th gen to you? What qualifies a weak console with an exclusively last gen library released during an on-going gen to be considered a console from the upcoming gen?

>that's because boober team can't optimize for shit
It's two instances of the world running at once. Stop coping. The Series S can't even run Elden Ring past 50fps sub 1080p.
The PS4 never won 8th gen. Not until Switch sales finalize. You can put your schizo headcanons to rest now.

>will you consider that to be 10th gen
That's how generations work. Whoever puts out their new system first starts it.

Generations aren't defined by power and hardware age dipshit otherwise the ps5 would be gen 7.

Different user
>when the Switch 2 comes out within the next 3 years to enable Nintendo to run multiplatform games that the Switch is incapable of running, will you consider that to be 10th gen?
Yes, a successor to Switch, a 9th gen system will be 10th gen.
>When Microsoft and Sony come out with their next consoles and Nintendo releases theirs around the same time, will that be 11th gen to you?
A successor to Switch 2, a 10th gen system, will be 11th gen.
>What qualifies a weak console with an exclusively last gen library
Switch's library is exclusively 9th gen. There's no Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Splatoon 2 etc. on Wii U, the 8th gen system.

>Using unoptimized fromshit as an example
Dude the PS4 pro version of elden ring runs better than the PS5 version

>Power defines what gen the system is
>Wii and PS3 are the same gen
>Wii is a smaller jump from GC than Switch is from Wii U
What a retard.