What engine to use to start developing vidya?

What engine to use to start developing vidya?

Attached: gg.png (2000x1037, 373.58K)

Unity. Don't fall for memes.

Unreal is highly versioned, and too much bang for your buck.
Godot is indev, which is trash for actual development.
Everything else is a worse version of these.

Only other based option is no engine at all, but that's only if you wanna develop your programming skills more.

Your car engine in your garage as you sleep inside the car

No engine.
Actually learn to program, Then transfer your skills to a game engine once you know more. It'll make picking an engine much much easier

>Only other based option is no engine at all, but that's only if you wanna develop your programming skills more.
Redpill me on this, and how to learn to do it.
How hard is it? Would I need years to make something that could be used for a big project?
My idea is to start out with a small project to learn, but then escalate the next project by calling in some university friends.
Unity seems like a jack of all trades things, which is perfect for my situation I think.

Unironically Unity for both 2D and 3D. It's just simply easier.

You have to make your own engine before you can use a pre-made one

I've studied a little bit of programming in C, but I honestly wouldn't know where to even start with that. How do I do it? Is there a book or a tutorial that could teach me?

You would need to write your own book or tutorial to follow

it's bait

Oh....

I started with unity. its good. dont listen to the retards telling u to make your own engine

Unreal engine if you want to do something. Any other engine if you want to crawl back to this thread every single day to discuss engines. If you're not looking to make a revolutionnary game with lots of complex mechanisms never seen before and such bullshit, you will never have to write a single line of code with UE.

if you make an engine from scratch, you'll never finish a game. and your engine is gonna be miles worse than unity, or extremely specific to one genre.

just use Unity and follow any of the millions of tutorials on how to get started.

Are there engine-tans?

Attached: 164333299210.gif (650x460, 2.02M)

How to make a game FUN?

Attached: 1627787130319.gif (128x128, 22.31K)

screenshake and bloom

think about games you like playing and ask yourself what part of the game makes it fun
you DO play games, right user?

If you don't already have an idea you are never gonna make it. There's no guide on how to create fun or how to be funny, else AAA wouldn't be so shit and there wouldn't be any unfunny incels.

>anime girls
>coom bait
>yjk references

>little girls

focus on gameplay
challenge the player
DO NOT OPEN WITH FIFTY LINES OF TEXT HOLY FUCK I HATE INDIES THAT DO THIS

yea

Attached: file.png (1200x1600, 1.45M)

>Godot is indev, which is trash for actual development.
What do you mean?

First become a modder. A good bunch of professional devs started like that.

Attached: 1650282402735.jpg (772x756, 77.33K)

First person collect-a-thon on ice may have been a bad idea but fuck it I'm sticking to it.

Attached: lilgameplay.webm (983x538, 2.53M)

>there's no RPG Maker-chan

Attached: ParlI6-icMw.png (390x380, 60.6K)

I mean, it looks neat.

Cheers.

>First become a modder
How?

use a framework like Monogame.
if you like programming its a hell of a lot more fun

Start by using the editor tool(s) of a game you like. Dig that rabbit hole.

What's the difference between that and something like Godot?

Game Maker 7.0

I'm just going to accept I'll never be able to make my game

Attached: 1634301959107.png (933x720, 587.23K)

I'm trying to make this things animations, it's fun.

Attached: creepyandcrawly.gif (100x100, 6.84K)

>waste your time modding someone else's property so you can get a DMCA
n o

Godot's nesting structure is really interesting, but their 3D tools are still very underdeveloped. For 2D games though, I think it can at least stand beside other more popular engines.

>release short high quality pixelshit game for free
>sell a small or large pack of expert levels for a couple of bucks for people that actually think it's good
>raise price when I release fuckhueg update versatile level editor
can it work? would anyone here buy?

unity

I am making a platformer, tutorials always told to implement a jump buffer and "coyote time" (having the ability to jump a few frames after leaving an edge) but my character have the ability to jump, and pressing the jump button again in mid air let him airdash.

So, should I skip this concepts and don't implement them? I ask this because I played mostly old games from nes and snes and I don't remember platformer having "coyote time"... do people really struggle jumping from an edge?

I need opinions.

Attached: eto.png (255x267, 112.42K)

I mean, from a devving point of view, MonoGame, Godot and Unity work similarly?
Since this specifies it's a framework and not an engine, I wanted to know what's the main difference.

>high quality pixelshit
you can't do that

your working a handful of levels lower in the chain using something like a MonoGame vs a game engine.
it's way way more effort.
engines semi railroad you in to s specific way of doing things.
it depends what you actually want to do make a game of have a fun programming hobby.
either way you wont make a game

Basic
Don't be a pussy
Build the whole thing from the ground up

Make your core gameplay systems fun before doing any of the aesthetic shit like worldbuilding or even deciding on a setting

If it's fun to play in a test level with stock assets/untextured then it can only get better when you actually build the aesthetic stuff

>Would I need years to make something that could be used for a big project
Just don't. Lets pretend, you made your engine in 2 years (which is highly unrealistic) to make whatever idea you THINK will sell (but probably not in actual practice 9/10 times). Now then, who's gonna maintain it? What if new input devices come out that's picked up in popularity? What if your game is incompatible with new operating systems? What if there are new sound systems that use new proprietary tech? You start dealing with shit like that and at that point it's just better to use Unity and work on that at a low level if you are really obsessed with improving your programming skill.

Godot 4 will be kino, help with the alpha so it can be even kinoer.

That's actually a great advice! Thanks!

just humor me and pretend I successfully managed to make the spiritual successor to >pic related

Attached: World_Of_Illusion_box_art.jpg (268x372, 31.52K)

Remove the motion blur and I'd play it.

Does jumping from ledges feel like shit? Only after you ask yourself that you should make changes. Don't cargo cult dumb shit for the sake of it.

starfield > elden gay

Yes, I agree, but why in this thread?

Not him but shit's just not ready yet, it's going to be great but not yet.

just a reminder, genshin impact was made in unity, so that's a good start

Steam Deck?More like Steam DRECK!

>a heavily modified private version of unity*

And? You can modify it yourself as well.

i actually didn't know that
guess my post is irrelevant now

where can I learn programming?
is udemy good?