I don't get it. People skip cutscenes even for the first time playing? Do you?

I don't get it. People skip cutscenes even for the first time playing? Do you?

Attached: cutscene.jpg (365x365, 28.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libraryjournal.com/story/How-Serious-Is-Americas-Literacy-Problem#:~:text=According to the National Center,the illiterate/functionally illiterate category.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ion really care about lore, I just wanna play the game

I did for TLOU remastered. Such a terrible game

Depends on if the game has me invested in the characters. You dump a 5 minutes cutscene about people I don't give a shit about, you bet I'm going to skip it. Days Gone is a big offender here. Let us start playing, then let me see what happened.

I finish reading the subtitles way before they finish speaking

90% of the time, yes. Video game stories tend to be pretty fucking stupid. Kojimbo actually gets it right by making it so goofy and absurd you can’t help but watch but he goes overboard and I just end up skipping all the cutscenes by the end of the game. Even in the SNES days I would just spam the button to get through the awful dialogue in RPGs.

I did when i was a kid

I skipped every single dialogue and cutscene in FFXIV

mankind's average attention span has fucking plummeted with the advent of the smartphone. you likely do something similar without even realizing

it only depends in the game
>am*rican game
smash that skip button
>jap game
maybe there is something worth watching.

The only time this would ever happen for me is this:
>watch gameplay trailer
>get interested in wanting to play it based on that
>get game
>start playing it
>there's tutorials
>already did extensive research on the gameplay, so I already know how to play the game
>can't skip them
>there's cutscenes
>skip them to get to the gameplay faster
Otherwise, if a game has a good story I will likely not skip the cutscenes.

Yes.
I skipped all the cutscenes when I tried to play FF14.
Your story is fucking shit and generic. I do not care. The fact I can skip all the cutscenes and can still progress ( other than minor annoyances where the quest location was mentioned in the cutscene but not the quest log ) says enough about how inconsequential your bullshit story is.

ADHD

Depends on the game. Most of the time, I don't
2hu on the other hand? Skip through all that gay dialogue, I just want some more rooty tooty shooty

>cutscene
I skip.
>in-game lore books and walls of dialogue
I read every line.
Am I autistic? My favorite part of elder scrolls is collecting every book in the game, and I always read lore and journal entries in actiony games like mass effect.

>unskippable cutscene
>pause on alt-tab
>pause on lost focus in windowed mode

Yes, because the pacing and speech tempo in cutscenes. I read and speak much faster than the game thinks its normie audience does.

>Geshin Impact cutscene starts

Attached: 1545090200740.jpg (320x290, 6.27K)

Sometimes yeah. If the game is actually fun but the story is shit then you better believe I start skipping. Last time I did this was One Piece Musou but even then the game wasn’t that fun either so I quit entirely.

That's how stories in games should be told (until someone finds a better way), not with shitty cutscenes.
t. doesn't skip cutscenes.

well user i think you need to ask yourself some questions
why don't you enjoy the cutscene? do you only care about the action and not the substance? are you spending enough time with the cutscenes? maybe you don't actually like the game and need to explore other options. There's a lot of games in the ocean

Maybe, but “acting” in video games still leaves a lot to be desired.

>And the voiceover doesn't 100% match the subtitles

This annoys me. Keep to the fucking script voice actors even if you think you are being correct.

Based and true

I typically don't even if I don't care for the story but I do remember I ended up skipping the story for the DLC missions in Hitman 2, I already felt the story was so dry and unengaging that I barely knew or cared what was going on up to that point, and I didn't expect the DLC to have story so I just decided I didn't care and just wanted to get to the gameplay. I also remember trying to skip one of the walk and talk sections in Furi, which I still ended up not caring for in the end, but I didn't mind that it was unskippable. Those are the only times that come to mind when I did it though.

I skipped the Radahn cutscene the very first time i fought him. I could not give less of a shit about his
zanzibar tier lore.

I really do not enjoy watching most movies and television shows. I can’t sit through RDR2’s opening.

If I don't like the cutscenes, story or characters then I uninstall. Same reason I preferred Zoom 2016 over Eternal, they dedicated more resources to a shitter story that didn't grab me.

I grew up around retards who did this.

Till this day they are still retarded

Absolutely
I don't mind when cutscenes are short and cut to the chase, but I don't need and I absolute don't want to see a character literally walking, or them having a completely meaningless conversation that does nothing for the plot, or anything like that

It's not a question of attention span. It's a question of whether the thing trying to get your attention is properly done or not. Game stories tend to drag on for way too long, there's too much exposition, too many cliches, they're just boring. It's not an attention span problem, because I don't mind watching properly directed cutscenes.

>cutscenes are “the substance” of a game
God I fuckin hate zoomers.

i do that for the soulsborne games since the lore is fucking stupid
the way it delivers the lore is fine most of the time, you can read/learn as much as you want and it's not like it forces it down your throat
its just a shame the actual material is year 10 level grimdark shit with silly names and events like Linking Muh First Flame and cringy stuff like that

Attached: 4a36b614717a501379bd7d7a18906036.png (576x768, 1.12M)

I was an autistic kid so i watched every cutscene now i skip every dialog

Reminder that's it's 2022 and Pokemon still has unskippable text based cutscenes. And these games continue to sell 15M units each.

Attached: Pokemon-Legends-Arceus-Tutorial-Is-Better-Than-Other-Games[1].jpg (1400x700, 152.94K)

For most games I do not fucking care.

>Admits to skipping cutscenes
>Somehow thinks he can have an opinion on the writing

every. fucking. time.

Attached: 1648493365824.jpg (511x456, 53.21K)

In garbage life Fromsoft games, yes.

there is nothing worse than a non-skippable cutscene that takes more than 5 minutes to get through and the last time the game let you save was right before a huge boss rush leading up to the 5 minute cutscene

Attached: 1636516069407.png (640x480, 359.77K)

>People skip cutscenes even for the first time playing? Do you?
I rarely do.

Tell me retard

How can you play a game if you don't know what your fighting for? Do you really just go through the whole game killing everything without wondering why, or wtf for?

It's no wonder people are so easily conditioned.

>JUST KILL HIM!
>OKAY MASTER

>implying I can't tell what happened in the cutscene from the context following it and the quest provided
>implying I started playing the game skipping cutscenes, and not after 10 hours and realizing I was playing a single player game when I only started playing so I could play with friends.

Imagine if you couldn't say that genshin impact writting is shit just because you skipped everything, kek, it's because it's shit that people do that.

>>implying I can't tell what happened in the cutscene from the context following it and the quest provided

No you can't.

>>implying I started playing the game skipping cutscenes, and not after 10 hours and realizing I was playing a single player game when I only started playing so I could play with friends.

Based oversocialized, ADHD riddled retarded zoomer.

Attached: 1636673171061.png (800x800, 528.15K)

i beat new vegas and still don't know what each of the factions really stood for other than surface level stuff, i merely joined factions out of convenience/gameplay reasons rather than any sort of ideology I/my character had. sifting through dialogue is much too slow and i'm simply not interested in what anyone has to say. probably not the right person for rpgs but i just can't understand how people actually read books/notes/journal entries and whatnot in those bethesda games, im kinda envious actually since they're clearly getting a richer experience but all that kinda stuff simply doesn't hold my attention

Attached: cortez-timesplitters-future-perfect-32.1.jpg (210x240, 13.93K)

I never skip a cutscene and will always, at the very least, read the dialogue even if I turn off the sound because I'm not all too invested. Stories, even shitty ones, are important to me when I play games. Like it or not, it's part of the experience, and I want the full experience when I play.

How can you know a story is shit if you didn't see it because you skipped it?

Attached: 1643883838240.jpg (1607x1016, 259.38K)

I play a game for the gameplay.
Game writers, in general and I know there are exceptions, but in general are third rate storytellers. Why bother? If you want properly done stories watch a movie or a show, or read a book.

because who gives a shit. you act like there's some sort of autonomy granted by watching 3rd rate screenwriters. like when I played splinter cell, I don't give a fuck what the bullshit good guy NSA is supposedly doing. I want to sneak around and kill enemies with cool gameplay mechanics.

oh I see you're a 14tranny.
A 100 hour visual novel is not my idea of a good time, and even the greatest writers would struggle with keeping such a massive story compelling much less some shitty jrpg writers.

sorry nobody noticed your bait user

I just want to press buttons and see things happen as a result. I don't give a fuck about video game shitty predictable and copy/pasted stories

Just admit you suffer from ADHD and can't into storytelling that isn't capeshit tier nonstop action and quips.

The only cutscenes in any game i still watch are halo 2

I don’t give a shit about story in video games, only snoycucks do

>frozen world kh3
You'd better believe I skipped those cutscenes. I haven't skipped anything else ever on first playthrough but holy shit why was that garbage in the game? Granted the game itself was bad, but still.

That's cool. Just don't criticize the story if you aren't willing to actually consume it. You don't actually need to have an opinion on everything user. Just say you were filtered by having to read and move on.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy takes about 40 hours to read, and he's not even the best of the best.
But yeah I'm sure your 100 hour visual novel has a "good writing density" even remotely comparable.

If the story wasn't shit why would I be skipping cutscenes in the first place?
>Just say you were filtered by having to read and move on.
lol. lmao, even. fucking idiot.

Some games have gameplay that are fun enough to play them even though the story is shit.

You saw that the writting was shit and then skipped every cutscene, like when you watch a movie and just for the first minutes you know it's going to be shit. Things don't magically change user.

Even after watching all cutscenes in games I easily forget the story. It's usually some generic shit like finding the guy who killed your father and going after a cult.

>there are people who actually read the lore/shit quest givers hand to you
just give my Hammer of Stabbing i don't give a monkey's about the goblins in your backyard old man

Attached: 191199_original.jpg (500x282, 27.38K)

If you’re skipping cutscenes in a game you don’t like that game. I refuse to believe on a first play through anyone is skipping scenes for shit they like unless it’s so garbage that’s like 14 minutes long.

>Watching an NA streamer play FFXIV
>Most of it's not voice acted
>Streamer seethes everytime the story forces them to read
>"Why can't everything just be voiced? I'd like the story a lot more if I didn't have to read so much"
>Even when they try to read it's like they're struggling, even over the most basic english words
>They just start skipping non-voiced cutscenes and dialogue
>"Man this story makes no sense, who the fuck is this Emet guy? (skipped the absolute kino of the very first cutscene Emet appears it so they literally don't know who he is)

Why are americans unable to read?

Attached: 1651027579226.jpg (900x900, 194.09K)

I only skip them if they're really long cutscenes, otherwise i like to watch them as a small pause between levels/missions,etc.

Attached: E2B5k8DXoAY5VDl.png (349x255, 83.91K)

I don't have an issue with there being a skip feature, I just don't get the people who keep buying or downloading games that are built around being cutscene-heavy. What are you trying to prove? Play something besides the 100-hour JRPG, it didn't trick you into buying it.

If a game takes control away from me for more than five seconds I turn it off

Look I just like seeing a huge, beautiful open world and ticking off everything on the map. Is that a crime? Cutscenes slow me down.

I hate capeshit and I've only watched one or two movies of that shit, with your logic I would have to watch every single fucking capeshit film so I can call it shit.

Me in lost ark

If the game has cutscenes, I watch them. If there are sidequests with lore, I read the dialogue if I'm interested in the story. Otherwise I mash through the text. If the cutscenes are fully voiced, I will patiently wait for the autoplay to organically advance the dialogue.

Attached: 1640396650155.png (4120x4130, 2.91M)

>>"Why can't everything just be voiced? I'd like the story a lot more if I didn't have to read so much"
Do these retards not realize how much fucking money it would cost if everything was voiced? Do they not know the game is in multiple different languages? How much money would that cost to pay 4 different language teams of voice actors?

The last time an MMO was fully-voiced acted that was SWTOR and we all know what happened to that game.

Here’s a plot twist for you fucking morons. I skip video game cutscenes but read more books than probably all of Yea Forums combined. Must be that ADD, couldn’t possibly be that video games universally have awful writing that’s somehow below the level of braindead capeshit. If you’re in this thread defending video game stories you’re most likely a fucking retard who wouldn’t know good writing if it crawled up your ass and died.

MMOs are the worst ones
does anyone actually care about what goes on
i just want to level with a couple of mates

>zoomers
>cutscenes have been in games since they were invented
Jesus Christ the autism on Yea Forums is peak.

You're seeing their barely literate peers in this very thread. They feel like this is normal.

And they were never the substance of the experience, retard.

Why do people think that voice acting automatically makes a story good and a lack of voice actibng makes it bad? Do they know there are countless games lauded for their storytelling which have ZERO voice acting?

Attached: 1645912677337.jpg (1200x775, 145.4K)

>I'd like the story a lot more if I didn't have to read so much
mf doesn't deserve a good story then

Sometimes games have good gameplay but shitty writing. Then, skipping cutscenes is the logical choice.
It would be retarded to skip the cutscenes in Persona 5 for example, at that point you might as well not play the game.

Just give them the good shit man

Tellem I understand

Crazy as fuck dudes gay sex

Attached: 13096313_1089784721084928_50887957393461737_n.jpg (480x480, 27.06K)

Reminder that the average American literally cannot read.

libraryjournal.com/story/How-Serious-Is-Americas-Literacy-Problem#:~:text=According to the National Center,the illiterate/functionally illiterate category.

bait?

>I just don't get the people who keep buying or downloading games that are built around being cutscene-heavy
Agreed. If it's explicitly an action game, and you're playing explicitly for the gameplay and couldn't give two shits about the story, fine. I get it, makes sense. But if you're playing something like FFX (or preferably, something that you CAN skip cutscenes in), why are you even wasting your time if you aren't paying attention to the story? I like turn based RPGs, or any kind of RPGs, but even I can admit most don't innovate enough to be interesting. Not saying the story is out of this world good, it never really is, but it makes the combat feel pointless. I thought the point of RPGs is to immerse yourself in the world, even if only slightly.

Not to defend these faggots but you can literally play Souls games like this.
>thou art the flame and you must seek the flame so you can link thyn flame because flame flame flame
>so you just want me to kill everything in my path
>yes
>seek seek seek lest bear
Some games don’t have a narrative dissonance that makes it hard to enjoy a game if you don’t know what the fuck is going on. That being said the Souls games are a special case so outside of those I don’t know what games people are playing where they genuinely enjoy everything but the cutscenes.

Attached: B8A15BA0-3A42-453C-81B8-3D6DFBA8B949.jpg (699x1024, 80.92K)

I'm highly amused by cutscenes both for their quality and lack there of, so I never skip.

You're on Yea Forums, friend. The home of normies and children. Both of those parties ABHOR reading

Attached: Civ 5 Units and Bonuses.png (2029x4021, 3.77M)

games aren't for fun they are for dopamine hits

I skipped cutscenes the first time playing both Hotline Miami games and they're some of my favorite games of all time. I don't understand people who give a shit about the story in those games, for me they're like DOOM, completely gameplay-focused experiences

funnily enough as much hate MGS gets for being so cutscene heavy i skip them a lot less than other games simply cause its just campy kino, its not overly serious like dark souls or other shit like that

Yes. I have to be heavily invested in the plot in order to watch. If the intro isn’t immediately compelling I’ll be skipping every scene.

Fuck off /vt/ranny

No, I don't.

the worst is fucking freeze tips

>finally get to move my character
>take 2 steps
>game freezes
>big giant popup saying hold shift to run

This isn’t an American thing. People are just fucking stupid. I thought people would treat ER a little different thank Dark Souls and pay attention to the new lore but instead you had react bro streamers wondering who Maliketh was or why they were fighting a dog. At that point I think it’s clear some people just don’t fucking care about depth in their worlds as long as they can smack shit around.

Attached: FFD6E6F5-67D3-4E4B-8EB7-C0124A2712F5.jpg (1448x2048, 316.73K)