Fighting games are not fun

youtu.be/Zb_78suVxZQ
Why Yea Forums?

Attached: FRL73b_UUAAMnD_.jpg_large.jpg (1920x1080, 1.06M)

Get good.

Most average players don't get to get shitstomped in a 1v1, this is why they gravitate towards team based games.
This is why dumbing down fighting games is beyond a pointless endeavor

Fighting games are already fun if you are good at them. The only exception to this is the garbage Netherrealm pumps out. Those are just not fun in any context.

As a fighting game-let, one thing that stops me is just the idea of where I even begin. Do I get good at inputs in the tutorial lobby? Or do I go to arcade/story/trials/other game mode? Where do I go outside of the game once I want to learn something new or learn how moves/combos work? Why do I even have to go outside the game to learn this stuff? It gives a large feeling of investment before I even purchase the game.

Extreme skill ceiling and big barriers of entry so you can't sell it to grandmas.

Are we shilling vesper now?

Have you ever heard of google.com?

Why do you dumbfucks always bring up team based games? Like I know we're all talking about harmonicas, but have you ever played in a symphony?

I started with Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. I got good at inputs first using the 2 player mode on infinite time.

When I was a kid, it was fun to me just to pick characters and see their cool moves. That was the game to me basically. Once I found a character who's moves I thought were cool and could do, then I went to arcade mode and played. Also got my shit stomped, but it was super cool to land a heavy shoryuken with Ken and set them on fire.

Attached: 1643257744259.gif (650x699, 353K)

>delete combos are a shit feature

the time you get comboed you lose the game, the parry movement in game is useless.

being honest fighterz is one of the best fighting games made not so long, varied of movement and counter measures but faggots here hate it because they want and retard arena fighter dragon ball z game when fucking arena fighter sucks

Love dbfz too but I am shit at it because of tag mechanics, I never played any tag games so it's really hard for me to adjust

the most popular fighting games of all time had solid single player modes

I shit on DBFZ because of how boring the roster is.

tag mechanics in fighterz in just one buttom, or maybe is me because i play in keyboard.

Why is fighting game "journalism" so bad? Eventhubs and Vesper just say random dumb shit all the time. All Eventhubs is good for is tournament results

If they aren't fun then why am I having fun playing them

Because the brutal reality remains, for the average casual it's not fun for them to get their shit kicked in by an autistic veteran in 1v1. Casuals like playing with others, and being carried by the stronger players on their team.
They also get to cope by shifting blame when their team loses.

the roster is big and great, idk wtf are u talking about?

Too many goku's and not enough characters with fighting styles that actually look distinct from one another.

Unironically just play the game. As you play against others you’ll naturally get better. If you can’t lose and still have fun then the genre likely just isn’t for you. Practice lobbies are great for just learning inputs or practicing autistic combos. People act like it’s devastating to lose a 5 minute match, sometimes you get btfo without getting a hit in but sometimes you also btfo your opponent. I feel like most people just give up before they actually give whatever game they’re playing a chance

Attached: 3E45E0BC-E491-4A8F-A66E-66DCAB187EAB.jpg (452x403, 36.58K)

each goku plays diferent, and half the roster is other people so still dont know wtf are u talking about.

The fun of a fighter is how nonlinear progression is. You can start on anything that appeals to you and then pick a game and/or character that supports that. There is no mandatory first steps, just infinite discovery.

Because a good League of Lesbians player rakes in ten times the amount a FGC GOAT champion does, and that's after sharing with four people and team management.
It hurts like hell when they base their entire personalities around being competetive, but then the only real world indicator of success in actual PROFESSIONAL capacity is overwhelmingly on the side of team game players.

With fighting games before 2010, I get your point. Nowadays, though, almost every fighting game on the market has exhaustive tutorials to ease you into their respective flow.
The simple answer is: always do the tutorial first, just so you understand the basics. Once you're familiar with the basics and the input style, you just go into Training Mode and test characters until you find one you like.
And the rest is practice. Arcade, Story, Missions, Challenge, Survival - whichever modes you choose, play that one character and GIT GUD. Unless you enjoy solo stuff, then just chill at your own pace. But the most important thing with fighting games is to have patience. Mastering mechanics and combos can take a while, but eventually, it all clicks, and soon after that, you'll be kicking ass online with the best of 'em.

Attached: 255411155_170044.jpg (433x650, 47K)

Be less vague,you make no sense.

there's a small pool of autistic fighter vets that btfos all newcomers so the games stagnate into the same vet echo chamber

Vets aren't in bronze. It's mostly newbies getting shit on by newbies with rhythm experience via instruments or something else. Fighters are a rhythm strategy game not only in executing moves but matching the pacing of your opponent and figuring how to break your opponents own rhythm

SF5 HAD UNPLAYABLE ONLINE AND COULDN'T EVEN RECOGNISE MY STICK

THE GAME HAD FAR BIGGER ISSUES THAN JUST THE GAMEPLAY

I'm talking about launch time, vets are in bronze at that time too and they filter everyone so hard nobody sticks

It’s easier to blame 4 other guys due to you incompetence than face the reality that up you just suck balls.

Fighting games are very cut and dry for normies to enjoy, this is why they blame execution, balance, mechanics only to move onto a team based game or stop playing competitive games.

Huge fan of fighting games but the problem is:
>High Skill Floor
>Usually Horrible Balance
>P2W DLC is common
>Lack of willing to ban content in game

I see it in every game. Game comes out everyone has fun for a bit, then 1-5 characters (Usually the popular ones) are leagues above others and ruin the game until EVO/Patch. Then the patch happens and doesnt do enough and the top tiers are still broken so they release an even more broken character for 4.99.

Shits getting stupid.

Fighting games are already fun. Stop changing things to appeal to people who don't like the system in the first place.

They get out of bronze in 10-20 games. That's only slightly more than launch FPS games

It's not that they can blame others for their losses, but that the game can still be fun. In a fighting game if you get tapped, you don't get to play anymore. In the kinds of team based games you're referring to, you still respawn after you die. You get to play. People bringing up muh teams don't know shit and have never played a team based game for a lenthy period of time. They're the casuals of team based games funny enough.

No they don't, because they stick to casuals. You can literally find players with a 99.9% win rate in casuals, only beaten by other smurfs. But telling a new player to play ranked when they themselves know they're bad will fall on deaf ears.

Valorant, CS, and Siege it's one and done and a bunch of people will die on the first 30 seconds with Siege having notorious spawn rushes the first 5 seconds

>No they don't, because they stick to casuals. You can literally find players with a 99.9% win rate in casuals, only beaten by other smurfs. Source? I know people who have 20k games in silver, but they're legitimately bad and spam unsafe moves only to lose.

Mindgames need to be a much bigger factor because it automatically makes the game much more balanced because a bad character can still use mindgames effectively. SF4 was great because mindgames were a huge part of gameplay. Anime fighters tend to fail hard on that front because it's all just too fast.

Luke actually doesn't seem that broken to me. Absolutely a great character, but only top ten rather than top five.

The source is that I fucking smurf like a little bitch too, and running into a Zangief in rookies with a 99.9% win rate and being one of the few to beat him is hilarious. I smurf every time I pick a new character and work my way up.

No one smurfs in silver dumbass. Everyone smurfs in gold now.

Why is that so unbelievable to you user? Do you just never check people's stats?

I don't enjoy fighting games even when I win
The most fun I have with them is figuring out and practicing my own combos in a training room
Usually nets me around 40 hours.

Having to spend hours upon hours of studying to even sniff a rank up is not a good on boarding process

that's not true, even in team games you mostly encounter 1v1 situations, fighting games just have harder execution and decision making while also being restrictive in the way you move.

>I CAN'T HAVE FUN UNLESS I'M BEING TOLD THAT I'M BETTER THAN OTHER PLAYERS
You shouldn't be playing any competitive game with that mindset. Just have fun playing the game instead of caring about your rank.

This is something I believe fighting games can learn from; too much of the know how of the game exists out of the game and on community forums on 3rd party websites. Like here.

Strive has a good idea implementing a combo maker mode where you can upload and share combo tech to other people to watch and try. SFV's is decent in letting you watch replays refined for any character matchups or skill levels you want to look at. But if you want people to stick around you need to make it fun to learn without having to turn to the internet. You need to build a community in the game's client.

user, no is going to simply not care about their rank, not even you.

Attached: 1650686886850.jpg (561x484, 28.54K)

Gundam ExVS is a 2v2 fighting game series, should be more popular. Actually fun.

I do t think this is true. And this comes from a shitter that has been playing fighting games on and off for years

If you give a fuck about your rank you might need to just grow the fuck up.

Why wouldn't you care about your rank? It's a sign that you're improving.

>Buying a game to "improve" instead of buying it to have fun
Found your problem.

What if I have fun improving?

I started fighting games recently and I had the same feeling as you. The only thing to do is grit your teeth, play a lot of online matches (or offline if you're lucky) and taking a lot of losses as you figure stuff out on your own. Most people aren't willing to do this for one reason or another, so I dunno how FGs could ever get more popular

Because every low ranking player with a ton of games I've played legitimately sucks

Then if you're not improving, you're not having fun. And if you're not having fun, why did you buy the game?

not watching your shitty video

Anime fighters now are tending to not implement good defensive mechanics, god knows why.
Mind games are great, problem is modern fighting games dont have any downtime/nuetral. Almost all good fighting game characters now have some form of mid-long range safe + on block poke that converts into absurd damage on hit.

Dude stfu dumb hypocrite

Doe sthis talk about the problem of FG?
Is splitting fanbases into different franchises, making the games having less players. Less people means less money, so worst online and the company putting shamefull dlc's.

It doesn't matter how many games you've played. Only how many of those you've won.

In order to have fun you need to win
To win you need to practice
Practice is hard. But playing is fun against people of comparable level when nobody knows what they are doing.
Thus the answer is to give people something to do to have fun in the game. Something that incidentally will give them good fundamentals.
Rhythm based combo makers, fun modes, fun arcade modes.
Leaderboards for who can destroy the car the fastest. Compete with other people at who can crush barrels better.
And QoL features like combo makers and taking control of the replay at any time.

I'm always improving.

Attached: 1648412040480.jpg (1920x1080, 358.45K)

You said your rank isn't improving, which means you're not improving, which means by your own admission you're not having fun. So why are you playing a game you're not enjoying?

>I smurf every time I pick a new character and work my way up.
Does it count really as smurfing when you're starting a fresh account and intending to go up the ladder? I fucking hate running into people like you sometimes but I wouldn't ever consider it smurfing unless you're deliberating going on lose streaks

That's not the entire picture. In MOBAs even if you suck you still get little victories when you kill the little creeps. In fighting games you can get completely locked out of playing the game by noob killer knowledge checks.

I think FGs need to find a way to give noobs at least a small chance of doing something, and call out when they have learned or did something, even if they did not win the match. Like counting the number of times they blocked an overhead, did a punish, teched a throw or invul through an attack and show it at the victory screen.

Will make tag-teams make the game more fun?

I was just reading through the posts and noticed the garbage you spout, dumbass bitch

Why are there so many "what fighting games should be like" videos. You don't see this from other genres. Do these guys think really think they'll influence the devs? And it's not like there are more than a couple indie titles, so I don't understand why.

Why do people care so much about losing?

If you dumb it down you retain slightly more players than before.

Absolutely not, it would only help if the IP was something people loved, like with Marvel, or DBFZ.
But casuals hate picking up a game and learning that they have to learn more than one character when they start thinking about improvement.

Because "they feel bad and videogames are toys to have fun, therefore they should have an easy mode to make me feel le hecking powerino".

I mean, those are good but i was thinking about Tekken Tag Tournament-like.
Having a friend to talk while you beat people in flashy combos will be cool.

This is sort of why I migrated away from fighting games over to Souls games, I just wanna have fun doing different activities with people other than 1v1 competitive matches. Team up to beat bosses, fight 1vX against other teams that just wanna fight bosses. 1v1 is there too but invasions are so much more chaotic and fun.

SC2 during its heyday and CS both already set the mold for how to attract a larger audience to a hyper-competitive game. You can't just dumb down the gameplay to make it easier for casual players because they still won't engage with ranked/competitive modes very much and all you'll have done is alienate spectators (because the game is more boring to watch now) and high level players (because it's not as interesting to learn/excel at). This includes simplifying controls. CS didn't get popular by removing counter strafing and recoil control etc. SC didn't get popular by reducing the micro/apm needed to control it.

These games attracted large casual audiences by enfranchising players through casual game modes. CS has all kinds of custom maps for surfing, kz/climbing, random ffa/dm and other team shit with friends that people can play and enjoy even if they hate the competitive game mode. SC did the same thing with custom maps and also an amazing campaign for casual players that had marked departures from competitive play including units that don't exist in multiplayer because they would imbalance the competitive ecosystem but were still fun to play with. FGs could learn a lot by doing stuff like that instead of chasing this delusion of simplifying games to attract casuals which has been proven over and over to not work and just makes the games awful for everybody.

Your goal as a designer should not be to try and get casual/first time players into the ranked ecosystem and competing with the pros. It's just to get them engaging with the game. Put in more fun game modes that people can fuck around in. Big head modes, low gravity modes, campaigns with mechanics separate from ranked MP where devs can go wild adding in crazy special moves, triples jumps and perk trees and all kinds of fun shit. Have a custom game mode maker ala Rocket League which can be used both competitively and casually to share practice scenarios or just fun game modes.

Attached: EoFh0uHXMAA7qsx.jpg (1320x990, 315.91K)

I've never met a player with over an 80% win rate that isn't a high ranking pro or has a low number of wins