Linux gaming thread

What are you guys playing?

Attached: Tux.svg.png (1280x1517, 326.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1762
gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6120
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Linux gaming thread
>What are you guys playing?

Attached: 1625672211945.jpg (576x382, 54.16K)

So, any "improvements" in that regard?

Attached: 11.jpg (1058x262, 88.11K)

I've been playing IW4x, works great with Lutris.

I wanna use linux but then I see "cutscenes don't work, but you can watch them on YouTube" and I thought "nope"

Attached: me and the boys.jpg (2560x1440, 1.15M)

Reminder that Tesla's cars run GNU/Linux, there is open source hardware that can control their motors, and that they have provided all of their patents to anyone who want to make EVs.
The new Tesla Model S is essentially a GNU/Linux gaming PC on wheels

The Hammerhead Eagle iThrust on the other hand was in fact an entirely proprietary PHEV.

Attached: 7nrd0xjxdk471.jpg (960x530, 64.16K)

Or you can just use ProtonGE for those games.

>cutscenes don't work
If someone told you that's a universal and unfixable problem on Linux then you got memed.
Some games use proprietary video codecs which you'll need to install yourself because they aren't shipped with Wine. You can often install them with winetricks/protontricks or just use a special Wine/Proton fork like GE to make the game work. Most games don't have these video problems in the first place.

Maybe link the article because how are we supposed to know what they're talking about from your image?

that's why I call wine a copelayer and protondb collections of cope posting. I hate linux users so much.
>oh yeah this software runs blbalblabla....but this killer x features don't work. You can install these protohacks to fix them bro
fuck off

This is in contrast to the legacy compatibility layer in modern versions of Windows where if something doesn't work you're just fucked and there are no good collections of resources into how to get them working.

Funniest thing in recent years has been Windows users begging people for help to use Wine components in order to play win32 games on Windows.

So use Windows. I don't understand why you guys get so bent out of shape over the existence of a hobbyist dork OS that no one forces you to use for gaming. Like just don't use it lol. Also nobody asked.

Name 1 game, faggot

apex and sfv

What's really funny is when a video doesn't play in Proton, but if I go to the game files, then I can just double-click the video to play it in my distro's pre-installed media player. Max Payne is like this with it's intro video. But I can't even really complain, because only the intro video is like this (while in-game cutscenes and comics are perfectly fine), and using a command line argument to skip the video in question is listed as one of the "essential improvements" for Windows users on the game's PC Gaming Wiki page.

That's fine but I hope you will also recognize how shitty the cause of the situation is. Devs, engine devs, etc are so deep in the proprietary cesspool while Linux isn't actively going out of its way to break the law.

Linux looks cool and customizable, Windows is a boring piece of shit that bugs everything with the services and privacy shit

does baldur's gate 3 work on linux?

Any D3D9 or 12 game when you have an AMD card.

Yes, they seem to be working with Valve on maintaining Proton compatibility.

I beat one piece pirate warriors 3. Now I'm back to Days Gone which runs like budder.
I'm on arch and got thumbnails working in KDE btw

Its because its a legal issue and not a technical one. Valve is being overly sensitive to legal issues now because they don't want Steam Deck to get hit by a Microsoft sock puppet like the Steam Controller was.

The Battle for Wesnoth

Lol 0 game

Attached: file.png (1206x1147, 161.77K)

dont thumbnails work in kde by default?
t. pcmanfm user

Thumbnails for video files at least in KDE on arch aren't a given, and you have to install a couple dependencies. One of which is listed as optional and it is absolutely not optional for the intended purpose

weird, they've usually worked for me but I probably included that optional dep

freedom

when launching cod waw it brings up a directx and punkbuster install
do i install those?

yes

that depends on how kde is maintained on your distro

I've been playing a bunch of JRPGs on my Steam Deck.

My experience with the Steam Deck has convinced me to ditch Windows. I'm going to switch to Linux on my gaming desktop. It will probably help with my backlog issues as anything that doesn't run through proton probably isn't worth my time.

How do i get dark souls III cinders mod working? Theres a command youre supposed to add like for dsfix but it doesnt seem to work.

anyone play black flag? i can't log into the ubisoft launcher

downloading rdr2

When are Linux distros going to make some decent progress with end user experience? Gnome is designed for tablets, XFCE is shit and KDE krashes every 30 seconds. It seems the only progress made in the past 20 years in regards to Linux is when big tech pick it up for their own pet projects (andriod and proton).

Gnome is deaigned for laptops and its superior to anything else there.

>KDE krashes every 30 seconds
stopped reading, stick with windows kiddo

>KDE crashes
While doing what exactly?

gnome is designed for keyboards

Linux is a kernel

>KDE krashes
Never happened to me or my friend

Attached: 1637219006379.gif (1200x800, 210.04K)

>posts retardation just to bait people so you can reply with redditjacks and memefrogs
cringe, but redpilled

why are all these guys seething but then again i don't get why there should be a thread about an operating system that's like making windows gaming thread i just play games native and use wine and proton if they aren't native and also vms sometime while not getting fucked in the ass by microsoft l

XCFE is shit until you start to use it and realize it is just fine.

is removing whatever is installed in a wine prefix just as simple as deleting the prefix?

you can install games outside the prefix

im playing games but its on windows 10
where god intended it to be

your question makes little sense
you can just delete the folder in Program Files if you just want to remove a program installed inside the prefix

if you're asking if you can delete an entire prefix by deleting its folder, yeah, wine doesn't store a bunch of stupid prefix-specific configs or anything all over your system.

you can also install or store game files outside the prefix like
said, which can make them easier to keep track of, or save time when the prefix breaks and you need to make a new one

dxvk isn't a wine component. it was made for wine but it isn't in the core project.

Please respond

based fpbp
first generation of pioneering is a necessary step towards having an elegant and modular system that respects your freedom
Linux is already past the first generation, it is now already at the phase where shills have to put some serious work into inventing new FUD to effectively scare people into staying on WIndows

Attached: ols_2006_keynote_29.jpg (512x312, 43.4K)

you provided basically jack shit info on what's not working or what the command was or how you ran the command or anything, and looking at the mod info I don't even see anything about running a command

A recent Ubuntu update has caused some problems with some of my games. I think it's related to some OpenGL libraries going by the error message I have been getting. AlephOne for example gives me this:
> symbol lookup error: alephone: undefined symbol: glBlitFramebufferEXT

glBlitFramebufferEXT doesn't show up anywhere on Ubuntu's site, so I am not sure what to make.of it.

Attached: 1647704548028.webm (640x480, 593.03K)

every single one of those comments, but unironically

>What are you guys playing?
Brigador. It's fun. I still feel bad about not paying for it but I didn't know it was so good until after the GOG giveaway. So I'll shill it instead.
I just realized I'm not playing the latest version (or at least I don't think I am) — it says 1.6 and some wiki says the latest is 1.62 — so I guess I'll download the latest version as soon as I feel like logging into GOG and downloading it. I play so few games from GOG on a regular basis that I never installed Minigalaxy or whatever the unofficial client is.

Attached: Brigador v1.6, [*3] Scandal Night | native | Linux Mint 20.3.png (1920x1080, 1.72M)

post it on the ubuntu forum or subplebbit, we only use arch based distros here

but really, post it there

none of my windows or directx updates ever broke my games

thinking of dual booting
opensuse or fedora

yeah because when a windows update breaks something, it's usually the whole OS

interesting, never happened to me in 20 years of using windows

did you get alephone from the official repos? does ubuntu even have an official package?

i definitely had that happen

thank you for your anecdotal evidence but a cursory web search can find piles of articles about windows updates breaking systems
and before you make another retarded reply, no I am not saying that it happens to every or even the majority of windows users

>a cursory web search can find piles of articles about windows updates breaking systems
can you post a screenshot?

I quite enjoy the mission briefings.

Attached: Brigador v1.6, campaign menu | native | Linux Mint 20.3.png (1920x1080, 1.38M)

>KDE crashes every 30 seconds
The fuck are you talking about?

looks like it has something to do with Mesa
gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1762
gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/6120

the mod isnt working im just left with basic dark souls 3 and its dlc
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8=n,b" %command%
thats the command that i said was the exact same as the one for dsfix on dark souls 1 you just put it into the launch options

does the mod load the same dll?

is it worth using linux if you have an nvidia gpu?

Yes. The developer on nexus said this command was all you needed. No one seems to have any proof though just a reddit post saying it works.

Anyone had any luck running ICE mod for monster hunter world? I've heard it uses a script extender which makes everything shit itself

>WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput8.dll=n,b"
is what I have for a sekiro mod