Would it be possible to make a 3d game that looks like this?

Would it be possible to make a 3d game that looks like this?
Have you ever seen 3d models that look like 2d spirts?

Attached: sonic mania world.gif (300x300, 55.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/02/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf
youtu.be/cXKb3CyqGHk?t=6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just use pre-rendered sprites

Mario Kart 64, gives the illusion of 3D without looking like shit. a true 3D sprite generally awful

>Would it be possible to make a 3d game that looks like this?
Yes.
>Have you ever seen 3d models that look like 2d spirts?
Yes

Attached: Sonic Robo Blast 2.webm (640x400, 2.94M)

They literally used 3d models rendered as 2d sprites in Dead Cells.

Donkey Kong Country was literally this

S*ga:
>here's 5 old games, that'll be $45 plus tip goy! and don't even think about not preordering or you won't be able get all the game features, also digital ONLY!!

Chadco:
>here's
>Pac-Man
>Super Pac-Man
>Pac & Pal
>Pac-Land
>Pac-Mania
>Pac-Attack
>Pac-in-Time
>Pac-Man Arrangement Arcade Ver.
>Pac-Man Arrangement CS Ver.
>Pac-Man Championship Edition
>Pac Motos
>Pac ‘n Roll Remix
>Pac-Man Battle Royale
>Pac-Man 256
>complete with a fully customizable 3D arcade hub world, missions and unlockables for only $19.99! no tip required!.

Sonicsisters... did we lose to the pac-chads AGAIN??

Attached: Pac-Chad.jpg (1080x1080, 113.08K)

You could use shaders to create a static appearance to sprites, and then animate the models in a specific way so they only rotate at specific increments (e.g. only change every 10 degrees so there are 36 effective views). To go the extra mile you could do some fancy coding so the model tracks camera movement in a way that the rotation is camera-dependent

You could then either do smooth animations like a normal 3D model or create animations out of key frames with no interpolation so it looks even more like a sprite

The funniest part is that pic related is cheaper and has over 50 games.

Attached: 876545678.jpg (913x1500, 177.52K)

>Yes
pic unrelated?
closest thing i can think of is forced low resolution

No one gives a fuck about any of those games. People actually want to play S3&K and will pay for it. Simple as that.

Isn't that what they used in dbfz?

Ah yes, quantity over quality.
Most of these are just arcade titles, they're not the kind of games you play from start to finish. Content wise, Sonic Origin have more to offer than all those Pac-Man games. The only thing Pac-Man Museum Plus has it going better than Sonic Origin is customizing the hub of the games. Would've been better if they done a remake of Pac-Man World trilogy just like Crash and Spyro, but nope, that would be too much work for Scamco.

Attached: Miles %22Tails%22 Edgeworth.png (800x600, 205.86K)

>how to tell everyone you're a child without actually telling everyone you're a child

>buying 30 year old games that can even run on phone emulation
full retard

Yeah, a lot of big name titles used to do that in the mid to late 90s and very early 2000s. And of course is still done occasionally, especially for indie titles.

Attached: overlord full rotation.gif (84x84, 63.63K)

>Would it be possible to make a 3d game that looks like this?
Full 3D sure. Might be tricky to get the exact look down but not impossible.
A lot of old games turned 3D models into sprites, a technique still used nowadays like in Hades. Sells the illusion of 3D but it's just a sprite.

Attached: Adrian_Carmack_sculpting_Baron.jpg (1198x786, 163.38K)

Based

voxels

Attached: Ion Fury 20_04_2022 10_27_44.png (1920x1080, 816.83K)

Attached: diablo2.png (640x480, 223.47K)

Everything you do in 2D can be done in 3D and vice versa. It's more a matter of what's more convenient and feasible for what you're trying to achieve. Just looking at the gif can you really say whether it's a 3D model rendered with a low framerate or hand drawn sprites for every angle?

Ace of Spades?

yeah in ghost trick. To be fair, they were actually 3d animations that were flattened into sprites

Attached: deadmanwalking.gif (271x263, 29.32K)

yeah

Attached: FQrnvvhVgAIMjhY.webm (534x418, 2.62M)

those are 2D sprites that look like 3D models

Godot has a thing for that.

>spirts

Attached: fhtagn.png (1600x2560, 3.87M)

The low poly+pixel art style that is sort of like PS1 is pretty close to the 3d sprites look.

Is that some kind of meme? How come that not a single person in the thread understood what OP meant?

No, explain

OP wanted 3D models
Half the thread is just 2D sprites in 3D games

Attached: b52.gif (600x315, 2.88M)

Pac-man fucking sucks though. I get that it was a groundbreaking seminal classic or whatever, but I can't think of anything worse than playing through 20 different versions of fucking pac-man

Basically what Arc System tries to do. They're 3D models but they try to replicate the look and animation of anime, deforming the models to better sell the illusion.

Found this on the japanese site

Attached: 8765678656.png (604x600, 109.46K)

You faggots don't really play vidya apparently

Attached: 07427b2d6d683781e8b48c336ce58b35.gif (540x280, 1.4M)

These are all 2D sprites used to create an illusion of some 3-dimensionality, mostly possible because the games they're in have a locked perspective.
Some of them are made with 3D models during development that have been rendered at the needed perspective and several angles in 2D sprites which are then used in the game.
So when you try to extract them from the game files all you will find is 2D sprites, no 3D models.
These are the only correct answers.
Since Guilty Gear Xrd, ArcSys has been using actual in-game 3D models which everyone knows because they fucking told so and those models have even been ripped from the games or even replaced by mods.
But you gotta consider they have to "cheat" a lot to perfect the illusion by making adjustments per each single frame to create that 2d sprite animation look, which then also only works when looked at from the typical 2d fighting game perspective. This makes model-swaps look even more jarring compared to other games when in motion.

Attached: strivebowsermod.jpg (1280x720, 194.91K)

>make pretty convincing looking 3d models
>still have them travel the same stupid way
boomer obsession with what they used to play as kids is holding gaming back

>These are all 2D sprites used to create an illusion of some 3-dimensionality, mostly possible because the games they're in have a locked perspective.
>Some of them are made with 3D models during development that have been rendered at the needed perspective and several angles in 2D sprites which are then used in the game.
>So when you try to extract them from the game files all you will find is 2D sprites, no 3D models.

Nope.

Attached: 1595560727_6.jpg (745x549, 157.75K)

sonics look an animation look great but the enemies look weird, need more frames of animation

I don't think he altered their behaviour in any way, someone would have to do that to make them move more naturally

>not a single person
>half the thread
which is it

Those statements are not mutually exclusive, user

I only played the first game but isn't the second one 3D environments with mostly 2D character sprites? Or maybe it's more mixed, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can see the shadows being casted user.
The same shadows that are casted by parts of the map that look more obviously 3d.

>That dab at the end

Attached: 1597445408366.jpg (1024x660, 73.02K)

here, voxels are not 2d sprites

to clarify i was showing off the chairs in that screenshot, the gun viewmodel is very much a sprite

Attached: ECBtUT0X4AEUqBh.jpg (937x688, 49.53K)

2d sprites can cast a shadow you know.
Also I looked around and found the sprite sheets, so in fact the characters are just 2d sprites in 3d environments

Attached: waynesheets.png (960x706, 432.9K)

Just go low poly with low resolution textures. It is that simple.

you want smooth shaded decent poly characters. no fxaa, no msaa. the magic is the shaders, mainly cel shading and NPR
for cartoonish rendering look into how valve did it for tf2
developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/02/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf

SAYGA HIRE THIS MAN

Robo Blast has a 3D character mode, but that isn't it. Those are eight-directional sprites.

Arcsys has to put in that painstaking work to imitate 2d animation but you don't need that to imitate a 2d sprite. I think at the end of the day it's just easier to render it into a sprite if you're going for that style hence why it's not done more.

samefriend here. i forgot to mention to not interpolate your skeletal animation at all, just render out the closest frame and don't try to play anything in between two frames, since sprites can't really do that

They're called voxels and they're old as fuck technology.

That version of Sonic there is a mod character with significantly more frames of animation than is standard for SRB2

Smooth sprite rotations are incredibly cursed. Much prefer simple 8 directional rotations.
youtu.be/cXKb3CyqGHk?t=6

> I don't think he altered their behaviour in any way
that is what i am complaining about
them being able to charge you straight ahead and have new attack moves would be a real improvement to the original

That goes beyond what a cosmetic mod intends to do user

yeah but it's not a case of people clinging on to shit. this guy just makes models.

this game looks terrible in motion
and enemy movement is badly limited by it

i thought somebody had recreated doom 2 with a 3d engine

no it's just some doom 2 source port