So, why the obsession? Was it the Sonic Adventure fandom's first exposure to Mario?

So, why the obsession? Was it the Sonic Adventure fandom's first exposure to Mario?

Attached: PMTTYD.jpg (716x1000, 188.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/8I0FPl5.gif
youtube.com/watch?v=0v34a61f9po
youtube.com/watch?v=pw0gWmVc_B4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mih8Z20zRSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GPFcBwwniAA
youtube.com/watch?v=r2y7DMIGvkY
youtube.com/watch?v=hGPOqllQGB0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what does this game have to do with sonic fandom?

3D sonic sucked. It's the sticker star of Sonic.

Well, it came out on the first Nintendo home console to have Sonic games on it, not counting bootlegs. So, there's bound to be some overlap between the games' communities.

goombella
the answer is goombella

the soul, i reckon

true but I don't think you can attribute everything to that. The game was really well received when it came out. It's a fun , lighthearted game with amazing soundtrack on a console with a decent playerbase

It's really good and really long.

Games which remain consistently great and last that long are really rare. Last time I played one was 2017.

Attached: qrsS7Hy.png (1589x674, 744.43K)

Nu-Paper Mario will never be good, zoomie cocksucker.

He doesn't know...
i.imgur.com/8I0FPl5.gif

TTYD was a little world on its own with its own charming writing that will never be repeated in another game again.

Attached: G8ME01_2020-07-22_17-16-02.jpg (1352x1867, 413.76K)

>So, why the obsession?
Autism. That answers most of the questions regarding the Mario fandom's weird obsessions.
Anything popular that's intended for kids is going to have an outrageous amount of autism in its fanbase.

I want to stick my face in that

Its actually well made and not lazily made.

i would unironically marry vivian's asshole

Just beat paper mario how does this one compare? I really loved the first half of the game but was disappointed when i maxed my badge power out. The game would've been a lot more fun if either the badge points could go up to at least 40, or if they tweaked some of the more useful badges to not be so expensive

youtube.com/watch?v=0v34a61f9po
youtube.com/watch?v=pw0gWmVc_B4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mih8Z20zRSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GPFcBwwniAA
youtube.com/watch?v=r2y7DMIGvkY

UNLIMITED SOUL AND PASSION AND EFFORT FROM DEVS

After the first Paper Mario, Paper Mario: TTYD will feel like a god-tier expansion pack if that makes sense.
Like playing Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time if Majora's Mask wasn't so annoying to play.

Bro... come on.. you didn't include the Rawk?
youtube.com/watch?v=hGPOqllQGB0

Attached: The Rawk Hawk.png (599x786, 326.52K)

Its a proper sequel that actually improves and expands the game instead of being a clone of the original or a disappointment, it actually builds upon the first game and improves.

This logic means every gamecube games fandom is tied to sonic, theres no reason specifically TTYD and sonic should be linked. This is early schizo lines of thought

Its a mix of it being the most unusual of the Mario RPGs and the GameCube/N64 era barely having any RPGs period for Nintendo. A lot of people grew up with it as their first exposure to the genre and instead of seeing a funny Mario parody of the format they got invested in its lore and characters beyond the point it's reasonable, like Archie Sonic or whatever.

I love TTYD but the idea its fanatics have about it being the end-all of Nintendo RPGs and that everything has to fit its mold is ridiculous. Paper Mario 64 is just as good despite being a traditional Mario world and story, Origami King is a lot better than Yea Forums says it is, and SMRPG and M&L1 and 3 are just as interesting without the darker Final Fantasy undertones and partner system.

People complain about backtracking but if you actually play the game its clear the devs werent lazy.

The backtracking was done for effect, to make you relive all the various locales again before the end.

The game clearly had effort poured into it and it really feels like a genuine setting. Think about how easy it is to recognize a unity game with borrowed assets from the asset store... TTYD is the opposite of that concept...

You're almost right aside from the fact that TTYD had some extremely witty and hilarious writing.
I don't know if Nintendo of America hired actual comedians or what for this game but it's a large step above the original, super mario RPG, and M&L games.

Bowser running into the Peach-obsessed fan?
The old Kroops guy calling Mario Murphy?
The entire glitz pit?
Like come on. I can't even remember it all.

Badge points max out at 99 in this game, so you get a lot more freedom there.

The Gamecube era in general was peak Mario in terms of soul. You also had Sunshine, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Partners in Time, and so many other countless games.

It was ripe with creativity that not even the Wii era matched up to, and by the time the Wii U rolled around, the series was sterilized and NSMB-ified.

why would you cut out partners in time like that? its better than smrpg and bis

Never played it desu. I remember I played the N64 game from Blockbuster and it was amazing.

You know what op? I never thought about it like that, but you might be onto something. That would certainly explain the Paper Mario fandom

What would you know about being schizo you mongoloid

The Mario fandom in general is no different than the Sonic fandom.

You have your Classic elitists, Modern elitists, NSMB-ifiying justifiers, RPG-only fans. It even has it's own share of cringe and recolors.

Attached: cringe.jpg (1280x720, 211.84K)

The GCN era was too reliant on spinoffs and didn't have enough mainline platformers.

OP confirmed retard

This. But broken people on this shitty board will just call it autism.

Neither did the Wii era. I would rather wait and have quality products rather than oversaturation and less impressive products. That sums up the entirety of the Wii U/3DS era in general. Sure we got more games, but they were all significantly less fun than the titles on the Wii and Gamecube.

They even put out two NSMB titles in the exact same year along with easily the worst Mario game I had ever played. (Sticker Star)

>Great battle gameplay and an overworld that's only a little grating at worst, at least on your first time through
>Charming, high-effort writing with a lot of good jokes and surprisingly solid throughlines of logic when necessary
>Extremely memorable setting and cast, not just because it's a bit more edgy than the originals
That's why people liked it in the first place. As for the obsession...
>Gameplay was gutted in the next game
>Any attempt at genuinely enjoyable writing was abandoned one sequel after that

Nintendo were fucking spiteful towards the fanbase

Nintendo have always been draconian to their fans. Remember their history with copyright abuse all because they were doing poorly financially back in the 2010's?

>Neither did the Wii era.
What do you mean? The Wii was the only console in Nintendo's history to have 2 brand new 3D Mario titles with the Galaxy games. And that era also had the first New Super Mario on DS (which was actually pretty good, the best one in the series before they overused it) and New Mario Wii which was the only worthwhile sequel since it added the coop.

Wii era had a lot of mainline Mario platformers unlike the gamecube

NSMB came out near the end of the Gamecube era you dumb fuck, Literally reused assets from SM64DS and Sunshine.

In particular, Tanabe was spiteful because he was mad at the idea that people didn't like the games he had more direct control over. I've been thinking lately, and now it seems to me like he thought he could be the next Miyamoto or something by applying the surface-level traits of his game design philosophy. "Keep it easy to understand", "take an unexpected gimmick and use it for an entire game", "base it upon a simple real-world pastime"...

>he didn't play elden ring

Entertaining story
Best partners in the paper mario franchise, each had its own personality
Humour well done, even the fourth wall breaks were good
And combat was the best in the serie

Elden Ring doesn't manage the consistency bit. I know it's a meme you hear way too often these days but the game enters a freefall as soon as you leave the capital.

Attached: G8ME01_2020-08-03_13-33-45.jpg (2500x1200, 886.69K)

How the fuck are you gonna say the DS was gamecube era lmaooooo and he calls me dumb. The absolute lack of self awareness.

DS was Wii era. Same way GBA was Gamecube era

DS came out before the Wii did, the Wii era really didn't properly start off yet until Mario Strikers and Super Mario Galaxy, both of which also introduced a new voice cast. (Bowser and Peach were recasted) and a somewhat edgier direction as opposed to the GCN era's goofy one.

The original DS predates the Wii by a bit.

Honestly, the only times a Paper Mario game made me laugh were the parts involving Francis in SPM. Every other attempt at humor in the series just felt like I was reading some sixth-grader's Mario fan comic. Also, I hate how they pussified Bowser in every Paper Mario game after the first.

Attached: Francis_SPM_trans.png (1040x948, 709.94K)

Yet regardless, NSMB was released in 2006. The DS was in it's peak and the Wii made the gamecube obsolete.

Will the Mario mandate ever be revoked?

Whoever came up with it to begin with deserves to be fired, no exceptions.

>"Deep" and quirky writing
>Introduced lore and world building to a Mario game
>Vibrant colors and unique characters
>Potential for OC creation
>Generally serious no irony

There are many parallels to the Sonic games in terms of the kinds of people it attracted and the sort of content the fans created. However the series has remained dormant, or rather dead since SPM so the results you get are bitter, yearning fans lamenting the past. Just like Sonic fans that miss the 00's Sonic before Sonic Colors changed the direction of the franchise.

Attached: 1650823242447.gif (715x998, 23.9K)

SNIFFA

Attached: 1620497630825.jpg (1058x1280, 378.61K)

I thought it really didn't need explaining that when one says Wii era, it's just encompassing that whole generation of Nintendo. Which includes DS even if it released before, call it DS era for all I care, its just a short way of saying that.

The GBA released a few months before the Gamecube, are you all gonna say that was a N64 era machine because of that?

NSMBDS was basically a swan-song for the GCN era unless you count SPM which originally was kind of a Twilight Princess situation, though they ended up scrapping the original GC version of the game and making it a Wii exclusive.

Nah, they even admitted in an interview about Origami King they're NOT allowed to depict Toads as young or old, male or female anymore.

The most they can customize a Toad is color scheme and wearing some job/occupation get-up, but that's about it.

Attached: file.png (1052x651, 752.46K)

The machine itself wasn't, Mario Kart Super Circuit more or less was a send-off to that era though, along with Super Smash Bros Melee, both being the last games to use Mario's N64 design and proportions.

"Wii era" refers to Nintendo games that fall under the philosophy shift that came with, roughly speaking, the release of the Wii. The early DS output is clearly colored with shades of both their Gamecube and Wii era philosophy, so it would be inaccurate to call it strictly "Wii era". Sorta like how Mother 3 still shows signs of it starting its development in the N64 era, even if it was eventually released on the GBA.
And as the other user mentioned, MKSC and SSBM were both made before Nintendo had started the major shifts that would mark the end of the N64 design and philosophy.

Is this the bbc of Mario rpgs?

>TTYD generally serious with no irony.
In what world?

TTYD > BIS > PM > SS > PIT > DT > PJ

I'm not that user but I sorta get what he means. It's not that it's totally dead serious and never makes jokes, but it's never overly cynical about itself, its story, or the genre.

Tanabe never said that applies to games outside of the Paper Mario series, though. And the Mario & Luigi remakes still use many of the original character designs. It's more likely that AlphaDream was trying to save money by using a lot of pre-existing character models, since they were going bankrupt and all that.

Attached: Capture.png (310x214, 6.71K)

For a moment I thought SS was Sticker Star instead of Superstar Saga, and I was about to burst in flames

All they had to do was make another game but then they just didn't

That's one of the most important things for a game to have. Incredibly corny plots can work as long as you're genuine and commit to them.

Attached: 3b0c3165a011ea2708fbee5a5a562779.jpg (1608x2071, 407.13K)

this just in, local user is a faggot

Attached: 8lxwz6fjamk51.jpg (1920x1080, 428.22K)

Vivian is my wife. Say something nice about her.

Attached: vivian_by_dreameclipsewolf_dbfzpgg-fullview.png (1024x1821, 1.14M)

penis

>The GCN era was too reliant on good games and didn't have enough good games.
I get the sentiment, but I still like what we got.

Attached: 1620608245405.jpg (882x896, 356.89K)

>the idea its fanatics have about it being the end-all of Nintendo RPGs
Name a better one they've done, seriously

It doesn't feel like it takes itself anymore serious than 64 does though. Am I missing something? Like I'd get it if we we're talking about SPM, but TTYD feels like it's always taking jabs at how silly the plot and most macguffin collecting plots are.

Many of the spinoffs at that time were also multiplayer-centric, and it was hard to find other people to play Mario games with during a time when it was considered "gay" to own a Nintendo console.

Making battles pointless and a punishment is what killed PM for me.

Belly!

>her

LOL!
God I love you guys

My thoughts exactly. This modern era is absolutely drenched in irony and cynicism, and games have gotten polarized. They're often either overly cynical themselves, or uncynical but milquetoast and noncommittal. The few that aren't tend to grab me more than anything else.
64 takes itself pretty seriously too, that's part of why I like its writing as well. But it's also a lot more basic in its world design, its characters, and so on. TTYD gets more points because it went further from what was considered standard, because it was bolder. TTYD occasionally poked fun at its own plot, but like I said, it wasn't outright cynical about it. And TTYD's plot had enough effort put into it that you could tell the devs didn't have any real hate towards it. I mean, how many macguffin-collecting quests give you a reason not to just grab one/the majority and lock them up somewhere secure?

>a ds game
>gamecube swansong
Why are you this retarded?

I think 64 had a similar genuineness to it. Nobody is there to comment on how wacky everything is or to wink at the camera. When it parodies the genre's tropes it uses actual setup and punchlines instead of sarcasm.