When exactly did video game forums begin to die?

when exactly did video game forums begin to die?

Attached: 65838457.jpg (1024x768, 332.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mootxi.co/
youtu.be/McMJBcuAWnc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When centralized platforms like Reddit started taking over. Once Discord rose to power, it was over.

when did Yea Forums go from some weird website to a pillar of the fucking internet. the absolute state.

>the only forums with any semblance of activity nowadays are either piracy or ero-centric

Everything started dying when all the retards got smartphones with access to internet.

We went from everyone having access to creativity software within a few clicks to most people struggling to type out a sentence.

Can't go back.
:(

Attached: The Past.png (1728x1080, 955.96K)

>acting as if forums were good

If you want to see what forum culture was like, go look at Reddit. Same mentality. Different names.

For the user most of them are just downright shit to use, full of useless noise like flashy avatars and signatures, and each forum is its own stand alone system which means you have to manage a multiple passwords.
For the admins they cost money to run and take a lot of time and effort to maintain.
Reddit and Discord have serious issues and I hate those services, but for most people, they're still much more convenient tools than a traditional forum, either as a user or admin.
Personally, I just stick with the chans. No need for any of this faggotry. There's almost nothing good here, but other services aren't that much better either.

Attached: internet consolidation.jpg (900x2002, 827.49K)

Discord and Plebbit rendered them obsolete

What active forums even still exist anymore? GBATemp, and Kiwifarms I think.

>Same mentality
Nah. Forums were comfy.

Forums have always been garbage shitholes filled to the brim with retarded users cocksucking the power hungry mods ad infinitum

social media sucked up all the traffic and centralized discussion for many things/interests
normalfag hordes and thirdworlders started coming online thanks to smart phones
corporations saw the money to be made and sterilized anything that remotely threatened their advertising or bought them out
oldfags getting old and moving on for whatever reason, while youngfags that had no idea what pre social media internet was like became the majority (aka the goodest goys)
the internet becoming an ever increasing utility and part of our lives, merging online with irl instead of keeping them separate
politics poisoning the well, dooming the internet to become serious business forever
things that were traditionally seen as uncool and nerdy becoming trendy, thus dragging down level of discourse

Attached: 1643367676912.png (696x908, 58.73K)

Ouch.

i also forgot to mention normalfags dragging in their social standards, which is why cringe culture and irony took off
even here on Yea Forums you have faggots scared of being genuine in what they feel because 'durr cringe'

I remember getting banned from the escapist forums in 2012 or so over something about calling mods fags over defending the cringe behavior of the horsefuckers.

Are you fucking kidding? Were you here?
Yea Forums has always and will always be some of the lowest quality shit ever, Yea Forums didn't exist until 2004 and Yea Forums wasn't the main anime board until well into 2007 (Yea Forums was)

Hell, I'm pretty sure /l/ (Loli), /g/ (Guro), and /sm/ (Shota) were still here in 2006.

Let's not forget Moot was still taking about a paid subscription service for Yea Forums that year.

I still use Smogon and it's pretty active despite having Discord.
We should list more forums even if its cancerous
>resetera

anything that isn't smartphone friendly typically has a more tolerable crowd around it. I've seen so many fun things IMMEDIATELY turn to shit as soon as they release a phone compatible update.

I gave up on my old haunt when I realized that the people involved were trying to become Muh vidya journalists. A couple of them sort of succeeded, one is one of the more famous vidya journalists and the other is a popular game reviewer on YouTube. Still, it was obnoxious at times, and the most try hard members never made anything of themselves.

All forums were some kind of power game from the top. Then people moved to Reddit and the same shit goes on, but now with far less effort because any fag can spin up a subreddit.

not really no, forums often split themselves because of faggotry within the userbase, take nexus and GUN for instance.

they do have a lower movement frequency however thanks to discord and plebbit.

looking through some forums for games like sims and neoseeker, i would say the mid 2000s is when it began to bleed and by 2013-15 ish is when it became barren

>tfw your address is still on some old forum somewhere

Attached: 1638403380828.gif (369x270, 3.09M)

i never understood reddit, it seems like the absolute worst place to discuss video games in general

I dropped off my old forum in 2011 or 2012, if I remember right.

literally this but as "the frontpage of the internet" with transgender wifebeating groomers.

doesn't resetera has activity?
gbatemp does, kiwifags are kiwifags and i think IGN/Gamespot forums show some life signs every now and then.

This plus websites for some reason HAVING to be for profit instead of just existing to be a cool forum or place to do whatever. I know it costs money to run a site but everything's become a product to sell.

The best forums were ran as a passion project and hosted on the admin’s dime.

Rpgcodex, kiwifarms,somethingawful are still well alive today

Attached: itsreddit.png (392x597, 276.4K)

Retard

At least there was more than 1 website. You were sure to find your place if you looked around enough.

>install old game from the early 2000s
>it wants you to register the game on their site
>whynotlol.exe, click yes
>it opens internet explorer (not edge!) and tries to find the site that has been dead for 15 years.

Attached: 1626495848218.png (1280x720, 257.64K)

When did SomethingAwful start becoming irrelevant?

>invisionfree forums
soul

Go 2 mootxi.co/ fren
The sarcastic irony garbage gets removed there

Attached: 1267685324623.png (420x300, 13.21K)

Windows Live Messenger: Pure Soul

true
every place had their own userbase, atmosphere, culture etc and even if you got banned you had other places to move to
if you get banned from reddit or discord you're banned from the entire platform, and the "culture" around those places tend to be the same shit no matter which sub or server you join, it feels soulless

I miss it. They're all gone. They're all gone god damnit. A lot of them don't even appear on archive.org, just wiped off the face of the earth with no traces of existence besides the memories of people who will likely never meet again.

I still want a gamified forum like Neopets/Gaia. Something like Torn with more popularity and less retard math Min/Maxing.

Attached: images[1].jpg (268x188, 9.48K)

This is the truth. Your worth was determined by your post count. Circlejerks and inside jokes everywhere. Signatures that made your browser lag and take up half the screen. Good riddance.

>tfw your forum just gave you a server error one day and that was that

dont even know what to do when it happens here

"you're here forever" rings loudest when you finally understand what it means.

I still post on some game boards on gamefaqs

>those forums with the rpg mechanics integrated in the user profiles
>you can deal damage and fight other users at your leisure, and they can do the same to you
pure soul

Yeah, it was tons of communities with big fish in small ponds that ran the place. Very weird to think back on.

I wish there was an up-to-date version of this image. It would be terrifying to see because it would 90% Amazon and Google.

Remember Total Miner Forge?
youtu.be/McMJBcuAWnc

Attached: 1841894-xboxboxart.jpg (233x320, 20.82K)

More looking forward to hytale than anything else this year.

After 2007

Attached: 1629709354437.jpg (567x482, 204.19K)

That's the game being published by riot right?

This is more 2000s than a goth girl that shops at Hot Topic with a Deviantart account that edits pics of Inuyasha and Naruto so they're emo and goes "RAWR means i love you in dinosaur x3" with a signature so fucking long it eats up your internet connection and takes up half the page while she RPs in her comment section causing your scroll bar to shrink to minuscule size.

It just happened to outlast everything else

This. Spacebattles, sufficient velocity, and questionable questing are basically the same thing.

Because ironically, Yea Forums was the future. Nobody here likes to mention, or hell, even remembers, that people came to this site because they were sick of forums. This entire site was founded BECAUSE the creator hated the forum he frequented.

I always find it funny when people start these threads. There's a reason why you're here and not on Timmy's "SUPER KOOL FINAL FANTASY" Forum.

Attached: patrick blood.png (591x506, 418.65K)

We're cursed to forever watch everything around us slowly decay and die. We're here forever...

Attached: dead inside.jpg (1091x1081, 128.95K)

The day Yea Forums opened and siphoned away all the talent.