Low poly or pixel art, which one is easier to do for a small indie project?

Low poly or pixel art, which one is easier to do for a small indie project?

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 282.73K)

just buy store presets

Fuck off Cris everyone can tell it's you

Attached: fuck off cris.png (2146x2322, 2.03M)

depends what you're trying to do for the project and how much time you're willing to dedicate to it

i would guess pixel art, but do it based on your needs
also if you pick pixel art, please don't chibify it

pixel art is the most cheapest, laziest way to do a game, go for it.

Literally who.

Low poly but when you talk to someone you get a little portrait pop up on screen

3d vidya is much more complicated afaik

Release Bowlbo already you fucking retarded hack

Attached: OneyNG.jpg (900x900, 105.44K)

Chibify it?

Low poly by far, good pixel art takes artistic skill and a LOT of time and patience, often even more than digital painting.

yes, like many japanese games do where overworld sprites are cutesy and stubby

It's always the same shit with those cartoon faces, they always show the topology as if it's a standard quads topology when it's actually fucking N-gons and the topology is fucking horrible.

go back to /int/ retarded schizo, Blender is used by millions

Maya is better.

3D is copy and paste shit. 2D takes actual skill for animation.

So you're saying 3D is better for an indie project.

Pixel art is still art, low poly is just lazy shit.

My goal?
To make shit like this but on a much larger scale
Progress?
I've made a single donut in blender.
Am I going to make it?
Probably not

Attached: 1520472142796.webm (1920x1080, 2.17M)

neither is easy. neither is lazy. game development is hard, user

>zoomers doesn't know about xerox animation

neither (and you can do it)

Attached: tis-100-preview-program.jpg (1366x768, 140.39K)

this
>which one is easier to do for a small indie project?
buying assets.

Literally nothing worst than this art style.

Attached: awful.png (1920x1080, 1.74M)

fuck off cris

user to pulll thiis off you need 3D knowledge and Pixel Art knowledge.
Even shit lke UV Unwrapping becomes trickier when you're working with an extremely limited ammount of faces AND pixels

>UV unwrapping
>Hard
Come on now.

What's wrong with that? Sounds like it's just a style.

done

Attached: 65535 trillion attoseconds in Bryce 3D.png (1280x720, 306.74K)

Texture distortion is a real issue when you're working with small textures user

cope

Wow. That looks terrible.

hi r*ddit

That's how you end up with a soulless aesthetic, and thus a dead on arrival game

Not going to make it

What else should I put on my generic wood and metal trimsheet? I want to make a simple tiling metal texture overlaid over wood, but idk how to model the topology for that in blender :/ Got some planks started, some long metal bits, a metal plate, and a metal spike.

Attached: WoodAndMetalTrimSheet1.png (2115x1229, 595.88K)

2d characters 3d backgrounds and set pieces

If you have no artistic talent low poly is your only hope.
If you have artistic talent pixel art is far easier and cheaper to achieve good quality.

Pixel art definitely. Can’t think of too many low poly indie games that actually pull it off.

the lazy 1 pixel noodle limb style that was popular for a while

fuck off cris

>What else should I put on my generic wood and metal trimsheet?
Some wood and metal textures

which one are you better at? that's the one that will take less time.
the shading on these is kinda fucked. Try the weighted normals modifier, or marking the edges you want hard as sharp.

>marking the edges you want hard as sharp.
I always for get to do that on models w/ hard edges. Thanks user.

Just do it

Attached: jd23.jpg (1527x875, 253.66K)

Dusk

Attached: ss_dbbfbd8d31f9ada624fed937ddd203ec2e8c139b.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 528.47K)

Thank god it doesn't look like that anymore.

Attached: DRG.png (1920x1080, 3.08M)

Valheim says hello.

youre welcome user. It warms my heart to see people learning blender. I've been using it for like 16 years so seeing it explode in popularity is kind of wild.

fuck off cris

is /3/ still a worthless shithole

Neither, if you have to go indy aim to do something like Hollow Knight, Child of light, Cuphead, Darkest dungeon, Ori or Valiant hearts. Like it or not game development is an audiovisual medium and you won`t succeed on gameplay alone, visuals are important, specially when it comes to making that very first impression. If the game looks cheap from the start people won`t even finish watching the trailer, let alone pay to play it. In that case success will mostly depend on mouth to mouth shilling. One of the most important tricks on low budget media is to not show it`s low budget. That drives potential customers away. You are better off making something more manageable and small but that looks top quality than you are providing a longer mediocre experience. There are like a LOT of independent games out there, a LOT, and they are pretty cheap too. It`s pretty easy to move on to the next game and never give an indy dev a second chance. Instead if you do something short but appealing the worst critic you`ll receive is "it was too short" which you could easily interpret as "i want more content". So yeah, make something that looks good.

Always was and shall always be.

Figured something out :)

Attached: WoodAndMetalTrimSheet1.png (2115x1229, 808.59K)

Leave /3/ and stay on Yea Forums forever, Cris.

Low poly is neat but don't fucking mix it with modern lighting engine and shader effects, make it look like 5th gen.

low poly is pretty easy and theres tons of tutorials on YouTube
just watch a bunch until you understand the concept and find a workflow that works for you

Yes. Literally nothing is worse than that art style. So making a game with that art style is better than making literally nothing.

Any reload animationfags in here? I'm interested in making them for fun but I have no idea where to start. I'll make a donut but after that what?

Low poly seems like it would be more difficult simply based on the games that have been released. There are more good looking pixel games than there are good looking low poly games. Even a good number of professional games were fairly ugly back when low poly was just normal poly. To top it off, a good chuck of people don't even know what low poly means and will try to pass off flat shading as low poly regardless of the poly count.

Attached: 1589827117007.jpg (1169x1380, 182.36K)