Why would anyone build a settlement next to an atomic bomb?

Attached: c6379f9368552a303a645baa56cfcb08.png (2133x1043, 3.66M)

To have

Because they were unintelligently designed.

>Atomic means radiations
>Radiations are energy
>Infinite energy

Attached: 4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg (1420x946, 76.62K)

Because its better than Diamond City in every way

I would assume the church came and settled there and people just formed around them.

Yup, that is the lore.

The crater helped with dust storms, so they settled it, they built the walls after they got attacked by raiders a few times

It made their crops grow faster. Also the crater is a defensible position.

>live literally 5 minutes of walk from a big city with plenty of intact buildings
>still decide to put time and effort into building a junktown
They're retards.

lol no it isn't

The lore is some people came to settle in the area but didn't have the manpower to make a proper town, and the local cult would only help if they built around the bomb. They dragged metal from an airfield all the way to the bomb specifically to live next to a bomb because they couldn't live at the airfield or the nearby town without insane cultists for some reason.

because they worship it you stupid fucking retard like holy shit how are you even able to breathe with that nonexistent brain of yours?

Frankly, that is the least fucking retarded thing about this town, it's design and story.
What far, FAR more funny, is the whole airplane crash plus airplaine graveyard ON TOP of the nuclear bomb thing.
It's so fucking idiotic you can literally see the team randomly throwing concepts at it, then realizing it does not make sense, but really carring enough to fix it, so they just threw some more insultingly stupid explanations on it and called it a day.

This town is probably the most hillariously bad piece of world-building I've ever seen in any game, ever.

None of this matters. What do they eat? Where does the water come from? Who makes their sunscreen?

i don't remember there being an airport in fo3

Because it looks fucking cool that's why

>lol no it isn't
>proceeds to explain how it is
Retard.

Would you EVER try to attack or conquer a city built around an atomic bomb?

why does it seem like bethesda treats elder scrolls with more reverence than when they make a fallout game

the water comes from pre war pipes

All you'd need for it to make sense is if they were extracting power from it

How is it any different from what I said? Megaton exists because there was a cult here and people settled around it. "Why" people settled around the cult is a different matter, one that you already explained in your post.

Because Bethesda

i like your spirit but i don't think they can just do that somehow without a whole power plant

that's because its megaton ow

because Elder Scrolls is their love child, and Fallout is just something they thought was pretty cool

let's see how Starfield turns out to see if Bethesda's still got it in em.

They do have a power plant but I'm not sure what it runs on. There are several generators in there.

The fact that it's a hole is a good design choice, makes the city feel more full even though it's like three useful buildings and ten flavor buildings built around the rim. The center is all empty space.

TES is their original IP, Todd bought fallout because it was cheap, and he played it in college, thats about it.

How about DC in 4? They copied the same crater design by setting it stadium, but everything is placed in the center. There is 1 house on the seats, and its kellogs.

Actually, no.
The lore if FAR, FAR dumber than that.
The lore is that the crater was actually not created by the bomb at all. Because if the bomb has not exploded, it would make no sense for the crater to be there in the first place.
So instead, they claimed an airplane actually crashed down there and that is what made the crater, and the bomb just happened to be there hitting the exact centre by accident.
But wait, there is more. The idea of the air crash inspired them to make the whole town out of airplane parts.
But THEN they realized that there is far, far more airplane parts than could ever be salvaged from one airplane.
So they said that ACCIDENTALLY, this airplane happened to crash right next to an airplane GRAVE YARD (not an airfield, airplane graveyard), which SOMEHOW existed somewhere in fucking Washinton DC suburbs, because that makes sense, and the the airliner managed to crash right next to it and THEN a nuclear bomb dropped into perfect centre of the crater. And of course, this fascinating next-to-Washington-DC-downtown airplane graveyard also does not have any actual space that placed into the world where it could have been, because this whole fucking retarded bullshit story was made up long after they already laid out the map of the area.

The settlers naturally found the crater and the non-existend, down-town airplane graveyard convenient for fortification plus the depth of the crater makes ground water easier to reach, and the bomb is just there because it's cool because you can blow it.

That is the fucking whole, unironic story of this fucking town. An airplane accidentally hitting a non-existent airplane graveyard in the middle of a city, and a bomb accidentally hitting the exact middle of the resulting crater after that.

Oh yeah and the bomb is leaking radiation into the ground water despite the whole point being that this town has safe ground water because the team thinks you are an idiot.

Yeah Diamond City's trick was putting those wooden barriers up at the side when you first enter. Forces the player to just take the narrow view forward at the center which most players do since they immediately walk forward, and that looks packed and full. Diamond City was a let down when you realized how small it really was.

Bethesda hires monkeys as writers.

because they thought it would look cool and they wanted to make a very low effort planet of the apes reference

First pic I could find of it

Attached: 14809-0-1465282357.jpg (1920x1080, 636.52K)

This is a cartoon.

More importantly, why is it all like it was constructed a year after the war when it's been like 150 years? Why are they still living in random rubble with debris everywhere? Have they not found a broom?

It's a post-apoc RPG, not a post-apoc simulation.

one is their child and the other they adopted from the streets so it can work the cotton fields

>Ugh, color, that's for kids. Man I miss the brown and bloom era.

yes, and that's why i turned megaton into a radioactive giant pile of shit.

>Church of Atom in 3
>haha they worship radiation in this tiny shack and are all dumb retards
>Church of Atom in 4
>massive organization of demigods that are immune to radiation with no drawbacks and can expand faster than the Brotherhood of Steel

Bethesda can't let a fucking joke go

Attached: 1626172617863.png (600x584, 321.13K)

Yes, I do miss the MANLY DEATH: HETEROSEXUAL WARFARE era.

I could forgive the grime and the exaggeration of the damaged environment if the rest of the settings made some semblance of sense. You could argue that the area was only populated relatively recently, being one of the radiation hotzones because unlike New Vegas, Capital Wasteland was hid directly and massively by strategic nukes.
So perhaps the radiation has only recently subsumed enough to make permanent habitats possible, and perhaps only desperate people, scavengers and refugees were willing to move into such still a potentially harmful environment.
And this could even explain the relative abundance of useful trash littered around, as the relatively recent, thin and mostly incompetent population still haven't sweeped the area clean yet.

If these ideas were actually properly reflected, if the settings were placed more logically, if ANY effort was put into the actual environmental storytelling what so ever, all of the issues like "this is more run-down than it should be" could be easily forgiven. After all, NV, and to a degree even Fo2 has similar issues at time.

But alas - to modern Bethesda, environmental storytelling means placing skelletons in cool positions to create funny death scenarios. That is literally where it ends.

There's no excuse, the retards at Bethesda thought was a good idea to make a city in a nuclear crater.
but the bomb was necessary because how people would know they are in a nuclear crater if it doesn't have a bomb in it?
and then they added the airplane parts because they thought was cool

Anyone who thinks Fallout 3 is a good game is a subhuman retard.

And anyone who expected it to be a post-war simulator is autistic.

why not

>hmm we need to make a fallout game, how we do that?
>oh yes, super mutants, the brotherhood, children of atom, trash everywhere and some whacky faction because fallout is whacky
>let's not forget the amusement parks where we put a quirky npc and some random lore

Fuck bethesda.

>And anyone who expected it to be a post-war simulator is autistic.
Ever heard about the concepts of "belivability" vs. "realism"?
You might want to check them out. One would assume you'd know about them since elementary school or at least highschool, but I guess you are either not old, or just not mentally fit for those.

It was designed to look cool rather than be remotely functional or logical

Attached: fallout-oral-history_feature.jpg (640x480, 87.11K)

see
it was a style choice. AKA it looked cool. What's the matter with that?

Because you can still fail and do a shit thing even if you prefer style over substance, retard.
Especially when it not exists in a vacuum but in a shit game filled with shit things.

What do they eat?

Attached: Goodsprings.jpg (1920x1080, 671.73K)

>it was a style choice. AKA it looked cool. What's the matter with that?
It's a poor style choice, poor storytelling decision, poor design, insulting on every single level.

It's just bad, lazy, retarded work done by people who have literally zero respect for their audiences, or personal pride in their work, or even the basic mental capacities to tell the difference between lazy shitty work, and decent one.

If you write a novel where every character acts like a complete retard, and nobody's behavior makes any sense because "it's a stylistic choice", does that make it not a shit book?

"stylistic choice" isn't an excuse for laziness or stupidity.

What's the matter with Fallout 3? It's a fun game. My favorite Fallout game, and yes I've played and beat them all, except I only got about halfway through Brotherhood of Steel before I got tired of the micromanaging bits.

ass

PUSSY

salt rice and kwama eggs

gecko

don't forget ash yams

gecko meat and root beer

Megaton was way cooler than anything in New Vegas.

There’s an actual explanation for this, they were originally intending to set Fallout 3 before even Fallout 1 took place, which is reflected in a lot of the design of the world. I don’t remember specifically why they changed it

>grocery store maybe a quarter mile away from a bustling city
>there is still food on the shelves

Geckos, Brahmin, the various crops every person is growing in their yard, which are watered with a pre war in tact well.

it's a raider hideout

this. the raiders restocked the shelves.