What made this game so comfy and alien yet so familiar?

What made this game so comfy and alien yet so familiar?
Why does this inspire so much more nostalgia than any other game?

Attached: Digimonworld.jpg (500x495, 60.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoenix-staffel.de/digimon/DigimonWorld/evolution.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I remember physically printing pages from GameFaqs because this game was so fucking crazy.

Because old Digimon was about the wonders of the internet and computers back when they were relatively new in private households
Not everyone was familiar with how they worked and the technology seemed like magic at the time
Digimon World captured that feeling perfectly

Its got an intimate feeling other games lack by making every corner of the world a mystery to solve. So little is actually said in the game that when you solve something it makes you feel like you've unlocked a very personal secret few will know about. Its as if the whole game is finding the burnable bushes in Zelda 1 on your own on.

second post best post

spbp

The pre rendered backgrounds and the soundtrack helped a lot.

barely any tutorial
having to figure out things yourself
no map
concentrated soul

This game was such a treat.
>Tried to get a Greymon my first time around
>Got a Meramon
>Learned to love Meramon as he wrecked Digimon all over the place
Game taught you to LOVE what you didn't think you would.

The 90s were an era about dreams for the future. Loads and loads of crazy expectations about technology. Digimon used a lot of analogic technology you were used to detail the scenography of a fantastic bizarre land. The random plugs, the out of place vending machines, the weird items "stored" in floppy disks... It is basically the art direction. They used things you knew very well in an ambient you didn't actually were familiar with, together with a couple of funny, bizarre twists, truly representing the ideals and dreams of the 90s. This is what productions about the internet and digital scape did regarding the yet to be developed internet and said digital scapes, there are other similar series that tap on a similar soul.

Overall, you can't replicate Digimon World art direction. It is unique of its era, it panders to specific nostalgic elements of a certain demography.

>tap on a similar soul
Yet none of them come to it even close.

I guess it was just the perfect storm at a perfect time.

I'm talking about different series that tackled the wonders of the internet and digital scape during the 90s in general. All of them nail it in a similar fashion. You currently can't have any digital inspired content without floating windows and other commodities of the modern era. Which is why you can't replicate Digimon World aesthetics. We are way past the analogic mind state. While digimon capitalized on it, because it was the change of the era, from old analogic technologies to new digital ones.

Jap cover was better and full of soul. This one isn't bad.

big feet

This user gets it. I feel a lot of the love and nostalgia for this game was due to how a lot of people experienced it. See,

Agree, when I was playing this game I didn't even speak english at the time.
I wonder if all that wonder and use of imagination could be replicated somehow in a modern game.

Hyperlight Drifter tried this, but it only came off as annoying.

Attached: -19-digimon-adventure-tri-movie-poster-silk.jpg (500x769, 76.13K)

It's mostly the prerendered backgrounds. All of them look beautiful. (imho)

Since you mentioned that, then I'll take from it: you can't replicate it because you now talk English. It is like when you solved puzzles in resident evil games by ignoring all instructions and just scratching your head so hard because you only had visual hints at best. You felt that solving the mystery was rewarding because you managed to against all odds. The same happens with Digimon World. Honestly the game tells you a lot if you stopped and talked the NPC. It isn't like the game was 100% a mystery. What was a mystery was the evolution methods until they were finally datamined a couple of years back. But exploring the world was always hinted by the NPC. But by coincidentally meeting with coelamon at the beach at noon you felt amazing. Unlocking the Mt. panorama entrance felt amazing, crossing over the invisible bridge (which you can only find AFTER talking to a specific NPC even if you don't understand what it is saying) felt amazing.

You can't recreate these experiences because you're not going blind anymore.

>Play it for the first time.
>My Digimon dies of old age.
>All my stats are reset.
AAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1645293917947.jpg (301x273, 44.35K)

This is meant to happen. You will eventually get an increase of tamer rank and the stats kept when your digimon reborns increase a bit. If you haste your way to Bettleland which can be done fairly quickly in game, you will get better Gym bonuses by training. Then you will discover that training babies gives better results. Eventually you might get to learn about the Tanemon exploit to get super digimon, which mind you it isn't cheating.

friendly reminder people who played the PAL version could NEVER finish the game due to a bug

>You will never experience a game with this much soul for the first time ever again.

Attached: EzjP2kdWQAMSK9T.jpg (616x498, 29.03K)

Yeah, I figured. My Digimon died after being kicked in the teeth by Palmon, so I was expecting a different death if something went really wrong. It's cool that I can now constantly get Angemon (I think.)

re:digitize is more soulful cuz it has anime

I dislike you

If you haven't already. Encourage you to use this tool. Honestly it will change your engagement with the game by a lot.

phoenix-staffel.de/digimon/DigimonWorld/evolution.html

There was a game progression tracker site too, but I didn't bookmark it. Really amazing.

Not him, but im against this sort of stuff if you're doing a blind playthrough. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, cuz figuring out the evolutions is half the experience.

>can't shit unless you stock up on the item that allows you to shit

There's an item that lets you shit?

Attached: file.png (862x643, 81.6K)

Haven't you noticed all the toilets scattered across the island? Like the one next to the item bank.

They actually could. You could use a glitch with the machindramon fight to get pass the agumon.

You can't figure any of this shit on your own at all. You don't understand what I meant by this. One thing is to try and be a 8years old training speed thinking it will je enough to get infinite numemons until you eventually get a fucking tyrannomon that will decimate your food expenses and die of mistreatment potentially lowering your tamer rank and another is to understand how at least the game works to play more in your favor.

Most people don't even know you can farm the shit out of the forest because things generate on each screen change every single time. This game is esoteric but if you add some understanding to the many mysterious mechanics you actually can have fun.

I'm talking about if you go exploring across the island. Also IIRC it's those weird Jap toilets that Westerners don't even recognize.

Yes and you get it super early by deliberately raising your shop to level 2. You can do this by recruiting coelamon and inmediately after betamon. It makes the management of filth much much easier. Because you only have around 3 minutes with high discipline to find a bathroom before the digimon shits itself.

Shop?

Attached: file.png (857x596, 155.42K)

Anywhere this up still?

The general idea of the game is to recreate the city that once was there. To get to the tropical island zone and to the zone in your specific screenshot, you had to talk to coelamon first so you can jump on top of them. Go up one screen from the zone you land, and your character will notice the bridge is now fixed, cross back to the forest and go down to the beach at around 5pm (in game timeā€¦ or just immediately they had made you jump on top of them) and coelamon will tell you he will open a shop. This is almost always your first shop in the city. There are other characters that will want to join the shop to add more items and make it look better. Betamon is one such character and by recruiting any of them without any specific order, your shop will level up. Iirc by level 2 you will get potty and the teleport to city item which are mandatory to have a nice time.

The digimon in the zone you're posting runs the hospital, another facility that is nice to have in the early game. But the zone itself is exploitable because it has rare drops that stop appearing once you recruit the digimon in this zone. This is why a guide isn't really bad. It just makes you understand things better for this game, you can get nice things really fast like within the first 1-2 hours of play that will ease your grind for amazing digimon.

Oh, I've spoken to that Digimon and I crossed over. I didn't realise he had a shop though. Must be bottom left or something where I've not seen it.
>RNG my way through this retard sniping me.
>Immediately run out and get attacked by a Digimon I can't run from.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Attached: file.png (485x459, 47.39K)

Says a lot about digifags that virtually every single one of them across the world tout this convoluted button clicker with no mons, no party, a childish story, cutscenes, mindless busywork, unengaging combat with zero customization or strategy as the best game in their series.

Attached: 1589900721480.png (1032x636, 359.25K)

Yeah this fight is almost a defeat going blind if you don't have a champion and you cross just after Centaurmon. My bad for not telling you.

On the note if things you shouldn't know and people want you to struggle and figure out on your own, the 15th of each year (there are no months) a special plant grows in the meat field, I recommend you to have palmon already recruited before the 15th so you can do this the fastest. This plant has to be brought to a weird sprout in the tropical jungle so that it grows another digimon to join your city as the final upgrade to the meat farm which adds training food to the training options which helps a fucking lot.

In the series?
It's one of the best games I ever played so far.
Not even my now favorites have that same sense of longing to them.

Oh, I just lost that plant. It was the blue rain plant or whatever, right? Bummer

>Unengaging combat with zero customization
Thanks for showing you were a lame player that never raised a smart digimon

Yes. That one plant. See you next year.

So far I've got
>Palmon
Upgraded my meat to big meat.
>Centaurmon
Gave me a hospital.
>Wormon
Gave me a short-cut to the bridge.
>Coelamon
Gave me a shop.
>Lavamon
Gave me a restaurant.

Attached: 1645708867837.jpg (1289x1145, 303.07K)

Yikes

Christ, just getting this far has taken me 12 hours.

The drill tunnel quest continues. You need to return to talk to drimogemon so that he finishes his business there and opens the treasure search shop. After that and when the shortcut to gear savanna is finally dug, you will trigger a quick run option at the entrance of the tunnel to skip all of it to travel directly to the shortcut. You won't need anything from the damned tunnel until near the end when you have enough prosperity points.

Beware that when you reach 15 points a fucking greymon will drop by to challenge you right out of the elder house so be ready

>You can't figure any of this shit on your own at all.
And that's literally why people have fond memories of this game.

No I have fond memories of this game and the reason wasn't getting 10 numemons in a row because I didn't fulfill ANY evolution requirement after a given time which the game tracks. It was because the exploration was cool, because each time you unlocked a new zone something new also opened somewhere and how it all connected. The evolution mechanic wasn't the reason people has a fond memory of this game at all.

what emulator should i use for this

duckstation

Oh I just realised they cleared a dirt path in Native Forest too

Mednafen (use Mednaffe if you don't suffer from autism)
RetroArch with BeetlePSX core works too.
DuckStation is also an option.
And there's also Xebra if you're from Nippon.
All of them work totally fine.

Almost zero handholding, OST and the world design are the reasons why this game is so great
every time I replay the game as a kid I discover something new

Attached: 1625468016974.jpg (2048x2048, 483.44K)

Its not for you.
This. Not understanding shit and making slow progress is exactly what makes this game so soulful.

>Every time I become a kid --
user, I...

replayed*?
ESL user if not obvious

Duckstation. Because most things are prerendered, you can scale the 3d models native resolutions with almost no penalty.

You don't get to decide what game is for me or not. I enjoyed and played this a lot as a child and a tool for better understanding what secret stats you don't even get to know about the game won't break that joy from anyone. That's literally the most retarded opinion about this game I've come to read on this site.

>Went through my whole childhood never getting an ultimate once (I must've done near-complete playthroughs seven or eight times and only beat Machinedramon once by bruteforcing it with a Frigimon and 99 of each recovery item)
>Finally got pissed off enough about it a couple years ago to go kick the game's ass so hard I recruited every digimon within three carefully planned generations (MetalMamemon, Monzaemon, and finally a 9999/999 MetalGreymon)

Felt good closing that chapter of my life once and for all.

Attached: dgw.jpg (960x722, 84.02K)

It's not even "you can't recreate the experience for yourself", it's "you can't recreate the experience at all", try making a game like that and you'll be eviscerated or forgotten due to being too cryptic, adults never had the time to deal with that shit and kids nowadays don't have to tolerate it the way we do, if you're stuck in a game the answer is one search away in your pocket, or thousands of other games and apps. We really hit that sweet spot where this sort of experience could happen.

>Beware that when you reach 15 points a fucking greymon will drop by to challenge you right out of the elder house so be ready
No idea what you meant so looked it up.

Agumon (+1)
Palmon (+1)
Centaurmon (+2)
Palmon (+1)
Meramon (+2)
Kunemon (+1)

SO I'm on (+8) points.

Soul Hackers does. Shame they turned SH2 into Persona clone and everything from the 90s is gonne.

i miss you cass
fuk

this
also the unique 3D models
and the pixel art inside the UI
and the japanese aesthetic

I hated this game. My Digimon was too weak to progress the story or adventure around. So I went to the gym area and worked it out to level it. I kept it well fed and it shat everywhere, didn't know how to clean it up so I left it. After much training, it evolved into shitmon (the shit looking digimon). It too was too weak to fight anything so I kept training it. It ate up all the shit that it left itself before it evolved. Eventually it turned back into a baby Digimon.

Rinse and repeat 10 times and that's basically my experience with this game. Once, I got lucky and it evolved into greymon but after adventuring a little bit, it turned back into shitmon. And I just gave up. Fuck that game.

Digimon actually respected our babby minds instead of holding our hands like Pokemon

>The random plugs, the out of place vending machines, the weird items "stored" in floppy disks...
this

The toilet is literally down the hall and to the right.

He only challenges you after you've spoken to Jijimon, so just make sure you're ready before you do. It's actually possible to softlock yourself if you're dumb enough to use the save point in there and activate the Greymon ambush when you can't beat him.

Nice post

i think you could but you basically had to 100% all the content that wasn't bugged (hello the shop minigame)

>tfw got so good at the game it became impossible to get a Numemon naturally

Attached: 16895965415421.jpg (1004x776, 80.91K)

>Accidentally shit myself too much again

Attached: file.png (482x441, 8.76K)

>dude you gotta play this game with tools!
>yes, this game that everyone itt says was so great because everyone went in blind and just went along with it.
Its not for you.

Also
>recommending Duckstation
>ever
I'm begining to see a picture here.

The poop

>Urge to play again
>Think about training and stat requirements
>Think about bathroom usage

How do you do it? I'm tempted to literally cheat, but I won't.

Attached: 1650238651657.jpg (948x769, 167.56K)

>You don't get to decide what game is for me or no
Actually we do. It's not for you.

Based. Coming back to this game years later as an adult and sweeping its legs was one of the best feelings I ever had.

The footsteps SFX and weird Digimon cries are burned into my mind

Reminder if you never played it that Next Order on the PS4 is pretty good and is a direct sequel to DW1's story with the MC and Analogman's curse, finally resolving the postgame Mount Infinity plot point as focal points.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 183.26K)

You don't need to train all that much to win the early matches.

But yes the game is incredibly tedious.

That's why I'm playing the first game again. The moment I saw art of the MC from the first game, I knew I had to replay it befroe starting Next Order.

Attached: 1648689541523.jpg (680x553, 88.69K)

It's fine if you're just vibing or thinking about something else.

Yes. This is one of these things you have to complete in your life at least once to feel complete if you couldn't as a kid. It is cathartic.

Yeah I meant it as you can't recreate it at all. You just can't. Literally impossible to replicate.

The elder of the city tells you how many points you have gathered, together with commentary about the specific digimon recruited. You should check it out. To beat Greymon you just need a decent technique and stats around the 2500/250 mark. Just ready your disk stock.

There's an area that you can visit in gear savanna called Trash Mountain. Here you can get KingSukemon to revert your digimon to the stage it was before it was a Sukemon. And you can (and are meant to) exploit this to extend your Digimon's life by a considerable amount. Because you can get an Ultimate back and fresh to keep exploring or longer life to your Champion if you aim to keep training it. (Since it will get the same stats it had and everything. Just more life.)

You are a massive retard.

The OSRS argument.
That's when you know a game isn't worth playing, user. And I love both DW and OSRS.