CRPGS?

Other games like this? Specifically in the story-rich sense this was such a good RPG are there any others I should play that have this level of amazing writing? I know Fallout 1 and 2 have more RPG elements and Baldur's Gate too but I want something with this good of a story

No spoilers for those that haven't played it

CRPG recommendation thread

Attached: 1634477749464.png (283x351, 183.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sierrahelp.com/Documents/Manuals/Arcanum_-_Manual.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did any of the Planescape Torment developers know about Hi no Tori? I thought they felt similar.

Attached: m0391_01.jpg (500x500, 163.49K)

I don't know but you could ask them

Disco Elysium

I wish I could ask Avelone a bunch of questions but he doesn't have messages on twitter.

Have you tried elsewhere? LinkedIn

There aren't any, but there was a sort of sequel with very good writing that came out a few years ago. Torment: Tides of Numenera

Might as well be a spiritual successor, but nobody ever talks about it. Absolutely criminal.

Attached: Nwn2motbboxart.jpg (265x375, 18.86K)

People used to talk about it more a decade ago

Attached: 1383408245013.jpg (1784x3926, 2.75M)

i liked The Age of Decadence. it's also more lore-focused than other crpgs. its faction open up pretty different playthroughs as well, from merchant, assassins, serving some lord, or joining the army

must play:
>age of decadence
>tyranny
>arcanum
>pillars of eternity II

maybe:
>pillars of eternity I and II

Attached: Screenshot 2022-04-04 7.36.36 PM.png (173x175, 48.29K)

People don't talk about MotB because it's hard to get into. Controls aren't the best and you have to start with 18lvl character.

That's definitely the big barrier, but it's worth slogging through. Amazing game.

That's why I think you should play the base campaign once. It has its moments of kino, and you get to play from level 1 while you figure out how the fuck NWN2 works.

haven't played this in awhile. maybe I should...

>Tyranny

Attached: 1447190767836.jpg (500x333, 14.75K)

Should I play NWN1 before jumping into 2 and MotB? I hear the main campaign of NWN1 is quite bad but the expansions are amazing.

Attached: 1577439517396.gif (500x230, 1.94M)

Arcanum has best story and lore of the the ‘classic’ crpgs

Icewind Dale 2 IMO is the most fun action, I’ve replayed it the most

Hordes of the UnderDark is my favourite of them all, especially with a character with decent wisdom, great roleplaying

I'm going off of roughly 6 year old memories here but I don't think there's much more than a few nods to NWN1 in 2, so it's really not needed for the experience

It’s not that bad but pretty vanilla, good for first playthrough

add pathfinder WOTR to must play, and move pillars of eternity II down to maybe
it's very well written, just has an unfortunate name and a female villain

Attached: JO crystal.jpg (1200x1265, 172.05K)

sierrahelp.com/Documents/Manuals/Arcanum_-_Manual.pdf

Why yes I’m the best manual ever made

>a female villain
every single female in the game is a incompetent retard and even bigger retards still shit on it and pretend it's a feminist game

>must play:
>pillars of eternity II

>maybe:
>pillars of eternity I and II

Wat.

Also POE2 was okay but kind of cringe, I hated the gay pirate furry little guy that always hit on my character even though I was an avatar of fucking death or whatever, a literal demon-looking nigga with no face and giant horns yet this little furball still thirsted after my dick relentlessly.

If you decide to delve into NWN1, you should know that playing the main campaign is not recommended. Most of people skip it. Start with Shadows of Undrentide and then jump into Hordes of the Underdark.

Ask him on Medium. That's his new AMA.

i meant to move POEII down to maybe, please read the thread you mcbitch

Forgot pic, re-read all the lore and race descriptions on the shitter many times as a kid

Attached: 0678E2A4-E25D-498E-B584-33DA4FCDF528.jpg (640x480, 41.91K)

incel commentary

no wasteland 1? maybe i missed it

You did, it's in high tier. Don't sweat it too much, cause I consider that list to be at least partially bait.

Not CRPG, but I really enjoyed the story in Sid Meier's Aloha Centauri

A pity the gameplay in CRPGs is usually so bad. I can appreciate an immersive and beautifully crafted storygame, but point-and-click turn-based +3 fireball combat bores me to tears.
What are some CRPGs with actual good combat and/or traversal?

Attached: geralt-whatever.jpg (977x977, 123.72K)

Jagged Alliance 2

>aloha centauri

Attached: ctm.jpg (404x428, 137.56K)

> it's very well written

Lolno

Pillars of Eternity is underappreciated

bit of a stretch on both but Dragon Age: Origin

Ok good to hear user. The expansions do have a good reputation I hear and the underdark is fun so I'll check em out sometimes soon.
Good to hear it's not mandatory, my main interest is in MotB so it'd be good I can skip it even if it's not that bad apparently
Thanks mate, though I think I'll pass because I really want to rush to MotB

Attached: 1614365821056.jpg (1600x1353, 575.36K)

Gothic II

Any good modern ones?

Did anyone play picrel? It's hailed as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

Attached: daggerford.jpg (1500x512, 363.77K)

Solasta is pretty solid. devs just wanted to make a vidya as reasonably close to the tabletop as they could

The problem with Solasta is that it's just about combat, there is no story to speak of.

it's weak but the scenarios do have a plot

I enjoyed the combat, but since there really wasn't any story, nothing I did felt like it held weight. In other cprgs it feels like I'm actually going out to fight things for a purpose, in Solasta it just feels like I'm fighting things to fight things. Which if that's what you want out of it, it's a good choice. Personally, 1/2 the reason I enjoy crpgs are the choices and stories.

If you have no experience with D&D character building you will get rekt if you skip straight to MotB, but it’s up to you

why did you think you went around picking up gems? possibly befriending dragons? fixing the crown? the lizard invasion? i don't understand how much exposition you need dumped down your throat to think a game has a story

Unironically disco Elysium. Not because of the extreme deep world like planescape but its similar in terms of none to few combat (although planescape has lots of trashmob fights). Its also more story/dialogue heavy so I think its fair to say that you could compare these games in terms of "similarity".
As others already said, its got clunky fucked controls/camera and is high level. If you didnt play to that kind of level and just get thrown in there, youre overwhelmed pretty quickly assuming you have no knowledge of the rules

I wish creating campaigns for crpgs with their dev tools were more popular. DoS2 and Solasta both offer tools to basically make an entire custom campaign, but nobody plays them so it's pointless to make. I have a few mods from skyrim that have 3k+ endorsements on nexus mods. I'd love to make some campaigns for one of these games, but nobody would end up playing them and it'd be a waste of time.

This. Game gets shit on for bitch reasons. It has solid and fun combat, classes feel mostly distinct. A great atmosphere accompanied by beautiful music as well as the landscapes. Only downsides for me are its overtuned prose writing and lacking encounter design.

>Only downsides for me are its overtuned prose writing and lacking encounter design.
But most of the complaints are exactly that

I'll play the main campaign of NWN2 before going to MotB but it's ok, I've played the tabletop for 3 years now. It's 5e, I'm sorry.

Attached: 1616525421562.jpg (476x508, 146.53K)

PoE I liked. PoE 2 seems like the designer wanted to make a pirate game, but had to make pillars of eternity 2, so just threw it in there with it so it makes it a jumbled mess. It feels so strange to go from a high fantasy setting into pirate land.

Attached: 1630921959536.jpg (1360x924, 97.42K)

It has peak Obsidian writing though. The fault lies more within our shortened attention spam than the game itself. You have to ignore the weird custom npcs still

Ye careful lest ye summon the Sawyerfags into this thread.

>still no news from the director and his new studio

True, but it gets way too much shitted on for the negatives it has. Almost like its cool to hate on the game. Thanks to poe, the crpg genre got "revived" in modern times

I played Planescape few years ago and I had so much fun with it that I can't pick up any new titles anymore, it's like knowledge that NOTHING else will ever come close to that experience.

I agree. I actually hate pirate themes but still could enjoy the game. The pirate shit is not as stereotypical and in your face. it feels like a real faction because how the deadfire is presented with its political turmoil and you just feel the tensions and that something is about to go down soon. Ship combat was whack as hell though. For all people complain, the poe games are a solid choice, especially for people new to crpgs. You cant tell a guy that never played one, to fire up Baldurs gate. Not in this time. You have to drip feed them.

I started Planescape a year ago, very impressive at first, but unraveling as you progress, think I the last thing I did was talking to some angel in a prison?
>I did not beat the game